media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/,
On today's episode:

Does anybody ever use a tablet or phone to keep track of things when they DM (NPC names, town maps, etc)? Do your allow your players to do it? If not, how do you enforce the no-electronics zone?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2014/09/02/mask-of-the-wild/
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/
sageadvice.eu/2017/10/29/do-the-monks-ki-empowered-strikes-function-when-inside-an-antimagic-field-and-paladin-smite/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

scalie thread, abort
also, casters>maritals.

I always refuse to use electronics when DMing or playing. As a DM, I allow players to use their devices to look up spell definitions, and that's it. Too distracting otherwise. You get a call? Only take it if it's a relative.

The players prefer it this way, turns out. It's loud and distracting in the FLGS anyway thanks to the nightly Magic tournaments.

Has anybody here ever tried to stat up a God using the 5e mechanisms?

I’ve complained about my “progressive” railroading dm on a few occasions, but it looks like our campaign is losing steam.
I’m worried it won’t come back after the holidays, because I genuinely enjoy a few players and some of the newbies.
I may have to go back to being a forever dm. First time I got to be a pc in almost a decade in DnD.

Ever try just showing up to a local event with some pre-made characters? Adventurer's League, or an Epic? It's pretty entry-level, but it's fun.

Random question, anons: do you wish WoTC would put out some more Plane Shift articles?

If yes, which Planes do you want? Personally, I really want Kamigawa - I need Kitsune and Nezumi races - or that new Mesoamerican Plane, whatever it's called.

Trying again fro ma couple generals back.

Anyone familiar with editing 5e Tools? I'm trying to add some stuff my group uses to a local copy.

Absolutely. I'd settle for even a bit more of the ones we've already had, just so we can see the individual block settings adjust to 5e's magic items rules. As for a new one, I don't know. Maybe Ravnica? The city setting could be fun.

Hell yes.

Theros, Ravnica, Tarkir, Rabiah

The way I DM gods I make them a bunch of powers and statistics, but they have no health, no AC, etc. At least in their true form in their own plane of existence. For avatars I use dudes like Demogorgon and Orcus for reference and make it out of that. I don't give them much shit out of one or two domain-like/portfolio-like powers and some respective abilities and immunities. And of course, a shit ton of health and stats.

Hell yeah Ravnica.

I have this ambition to DM for a high level planeshifting wizards that aren't Planewalkers. More like strong cards, and have them visit the planes in their spell-combat against creatures across the cosmos.

>Revisiting a level 10 lore bard
>Building him into the ultimate "Have others fight my battles for me" character
>Working together with a monk refluffed into a dancer
>Travelling showmen and businessmen, taking his time to expand his trading company and create beneficial relationships through each town he visits

>10str, 14dex, 10con, 12wis, 12int, 20cha

Skills revolve around 3 things
>Strong single buffs for the dancer(Bonded ward/haste/etc.)
>Stolen paladin auras like Aura of Life(via magical secrets) reflavored into bomb ass music that heals and inspires
>Any spell involving summoning creatures(he claims to have had some concerts for different fey, devils and demons) and charming people and monsters

His personal posse consists of
>A giant tree that was Awakened and befriended(no concentration)
>A Crow familiar he uses to cast certain spells from a safe distance(no concentration)
>A peryron summoned from Find Greater Steed decked out in custom platemail for free damage(no concentration)
>Mordenkainen's Faithful hound for some free damage during a fight(no concentration)
>Spiritual weapon if he needs more dps per fight(no concentration)
>An elemental or demon if he isn't concentrating on anything else

Although with prep time, Summoning a greater demon + Planar binding the night prior to a dungeon would be pretty sweet. It would get rid of most of the risk of it turning on the party and I wouldn't need to maintain concentration on it anymore.

Yea I'm trying to be sort of a dick with all the extras(Bards are considered "trash tier clerics" at my table for some reason so I'm trying to show them something different) but how's the character sound thematically?

I love the idea, but I see one problem. You are kind of a one man-party and it could really step on your fellow players' toes as you kind of do everything and they look on, bored out of their skull.

Perhaps tone down the summonings unless necessary.

Now, because I like to enable this kind of madness, check Tiny Servant and Danse Macabre (both spells from Xanathar's). I think it is right up your alley.

Yeah, it'd be kind of neat if they combined all the Planeshift articles, added new ones, and made a full book for MtG based D&D.

Including notes on the rules variants for making it more Magic like. (Such as using the spell point variant from the DMG)

Are there any cool combos requiring multiple players around? Either concept wise, or mechanics wise.

How do I become the best Hexblade warlock I can be? Should I go Tome for the rituals, Chain for the scouting and the lack of invocation tax, or Blade for the extra melee focus.

What's a fun character for Out of the Abyss? No spoilers pls

If each player keeps concentration on one different spell, you can have a very efficient goon squad.

3 level 7 casters can make themselves fly invisible while hasted for whooping 120ft movement, or 360ft if you dash twice.

Anything underdark can be cool. Duergar, Deep Gnome, Drow...

Depending on your DM, all sorts of Warlocks, Clerics and Druids could be super interesting too.

I say go Tome. Chain is a little redundant with the specter and it's better to focus on ranged damage than melee damage.

>Ranged is still better even when playing the shoddy patch for melee warlocks.

Is this serious? Did WotC fuck up again?

My favorite build is the hybrid. I go either pact depending on what I thirst for. Then I get Agonizing Blast for that sweet synergy with Hex and the Curse, then I go either full Melee and EB or full Blaster, focusing my spells on defense and retribution, like Armor of Agathys.

That is my preference, but you could easily eschew the ranged part and go full melee and you'd still deal decent to good damage with Eldritch Smite and Thirsting Blade.

That'd be pretty awesome. Plus, well, Magic has all sorts of unique races in it; it'd be neat to have those to play around with. It's one of the reasons I really want a Kamigawa Plane Shift.

Ranged options will always outshine melee, even if the damage difference is ridiculously small, like 3 to 5 damage.

Same goes for your enemies, however, and there is nothing more satisfying than Smiting AND Eldritch Smiting a dude upside the head and see him suffer existencial failure.

So Wood Elves can attempt to hide in natural phenomena that lightly obscure them. Does this mean that they could hide in dim light (or use darkness to hide from a creature with Darkvision)?

Only if it is raining considerably, there is some light fog, there are natural foliage around, etc.

>You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.
>and other natural phenomena.
Is dim light not a natural phenomenon?

You're being deliberately obtuse here and trying to rule things against the intent.

So no, it is not, just to fuck with you.

No. Dim light is lighting, not a phenomenon.

Yeah, between the four Planeshifts we've got Human, Dwarf, Elf, Merfolk, Minotaur, Goblin, Kor, Naga, Vedalken, and Aven who are all found across various planes.

Do those in the main character creation chapter (with a few more holdouts), while plane specific races and subraces can be in each plane's chapter.

I'd imagine you'd have a chapter structure like:
>Introduction
>Commander - Character creation rules. The aforementioned races, how various classes work, things like the Pyromancer sorcerer origin.
>Planeshift: Amonkhet
>Planeshift: Innistrad
>Planeshift: Kaladesh
>Planeshift: Zendikar
>Other Planeshifts
>Two-Headed Giant - A general bestiary of the planes.
>Archenemy - Particular infamous foes stated up.

How is it being deliberately obtuse? There's literally nothing in the rules that would indicate that dim light is not a natural phenomenon, or that it was somehow intended specifically to not count towards this one ability.

It literally fits the definition of the word phenomenon, and is natural.

>How is it being deliberately obtuse?

Because if it were ruled as you're interpreting it, it would be really fucking broken. Let's not also forget that it gives several examples of the types of natural phenomena is applies to. Dim lighting is not like any of them.

You are deliberately misinterpreting something and you know you are because you're a powergaming faggot.

I use a computer + speakers for music and ambience. It's also a handy lookup tool, but I ask everyone to silence their phones.

Dunno if you're just havin a laff but:

It says "when you are lightly obscured by ... natural phenomena."

Dim light does not obscure. Obscure pretty specifically means to block, hide, cover, etc.

The rule gives examples: foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist. All of these "obscure" because they actively place matter between the hider and the observer.

The atmosphere is also a fuckin natural phenomena but that doesn't mean I get to hide in it.

Kenku Warlock or Rouge

Warlock, because I'd love to hear a Kenku try to use incantations, but only really repeating them without knowing what they mean, and then becoming either pleasantly surprise by the event or slightly disappointed.

It would be really fucking broken to let someone hide in shadows? Really? And it literally says "other natural phenomena," which by definition means that shit that is not listed but causes you to be lightly obscured and is both natural and a phenomenon works for the ability. Murky water is also not listed, but is a natural phenomenon, so you can hide in it.
>powergaming
Dude, it's literally hiding in shadows. Calm the fuck down, I'm not trying to get autocrit on every attack.

>A given area might be lightly or heavily obscured. In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light...
>Dim light, also called shadows, creates a lightly obscured area.
Both on PHB 183.

sageadvice.eu/2014/09/02/mask-of-the-wild/

There you go, you assnine moron. You have your answer. Now go bother your DM and go frolic in the dim light of dusk, or whatever.

Piece of shit.

>being this assmad you lost an internet argument
Holy shit user, don't break your keyboard

I wish there was more content in the ones they put out, nothing was more disappointing than zendikar not having eldrazi statblocks.
Unrelated but what's that Xanathars lost notes thing?

>DM has been great for like 35 sessions
>Finally facing the BBEG today, it's pretty much a more Chuthlu-y Eldrich Knight and his 4 Royal Guard
>Beat them all, killing him with a Fireball
>"Combat has ended"
>Go over and tend to the two people down
>"You hear something slapping behind you"
>BBEG transforms is described pretty much pic related except more tentacles
>Try and fight it, get our shit pushed in hard
>A new NPC saves us
>Turns out the campaign isn't over yet
>We were all ready for it to be over

God do I hate "THIS ISNT EVEN MY FINAL FORM" shit

Not mad for being wrong. I don't mind being wrong. Hell, I will even apologize for being wrong, and I am sorry for pushing it.

What I am completely livid with is this imbecile atitude some people have. You didn't come here for advice. You didn't search for help. You wanted a fucking justification to your ways and shut down everything everyone said that didn't agree with your point of view. There was no argument, internet or otherwise, there was just this asshole screaming his opinion and having him be right is just salt to injury.

People like you are the goddamn disease of this generation. Flat earthers, fucking white supremacists, extremist sjws, jihadists... All people who shut out all differing opinion and only accept reinforcing points of view, no matter how small, how wrong or how blind they are.

tl;dr - Piece of shit.

>saved by an NPC
That's just salt on the wounds.

It's just a game, man. Relax.

Again, not mad about the game. The game is fine, I love it. I already explained the origin of my frustration, but yeah, I am chill now.

Thanks, anyway.

>guy comes to thread to ask if his interpretation is right
>gets told no with ignorance to rules
>backs his claim up with rules justification
>you throw a bitchfit
>his interpretation is proven correct
>you continue to throw a bitchfit
Did something happen today user? You feeling okay?

trove is done? Alternative? I need xanathar's guide to everything bad

Nope. Yup.

>rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/
where were you when trove is kill?

I don't remember Friday well enough to answer

i was sat at home reading Veeky Forums when dm ring

‘trove is kill’

‘no’

>people who shut out all differing opinion and only accept reinforcing points of view, no matter how small, how wrong or how blind they are.
You mean like how you did?

That's pretty cool but I was wondering more about builds for two people that complement each other. Like Mounted Combatant + Wildshape Druid with Sentinel.

Well fuck me, this blows

It's not exactly great, but I imagine Shadow Sorcerer and Hexblade with the Devil Sight invocation would be fun.

'yes'

>Beyond's face when
YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO USE ME NOW, RIGHT?
FEED ME YOUR WALLET

I know people probably don't care but the trove contained so many other books apart from 5e. I don't think it can realistically be replaced.

I'm sad its gone, but I'm kind of glad I never really bought any books aside from printing the Basic Rules and the free pdfs WotC pushes.

I in particular don't care about the shitty third party homebrews but yes, there was some legit content.

I made a homebrew NPC pamphlet for personal use in a campaign. They're based on Roman soldiers, but are not meant to be historically accurate at all(there's even a knight in there). Can anyone see if there should be any specific improvements or balancing?

I meant like actual different games, and not just other DnD editions.

Yeah that's what I'm most broken up about. I wanted to try-before-I-buy some other systems sometime, and now it's all gone.

Hopefully there's a full backup somewhere, or it comes back online, but the chances are slim.

You could always try the pdf shard threads, though even those have some dead links. I'm looking at picking up a 1-2TB drive for pdfs, going to hoard the shit out of them before they're gone.

THE GREAT MOTHER
Warlock Patron

Check out my homebrew. It's for warlocks, you get cool magic eye ray stuff. The capstone is a 30 ft antimagic cone, 1/rest.

Balance suggestions? Flavor suggestions? Formatting/Editing suggestions?

Good thinking mate.
Actually seems pretty good, but I would change up the expanded spell list. Grease makes no sense when you could have Ray of Sickness, say. And not having Ray of Enfeeblement is a damn shame. Eyebite would be another good one, though Levitate is a good choice and should definitely stay.

Beyond that, the ray effects are nice, the scaling seems decent, and they make for a cool "what'll happen now?" nuke once per short rest. I would clean up the wording on the antimagic cone so it could just ape the powers of the one the beholder uses, having it turn on and off at-will (it's 18th-level, why not?), and maybe even have it last for 10 minutes.

All in all I think you did a pretty all right job. I love the idea of the eye being a spellcasting focus, and the mention of regeneration rightfully puts it in the DM's head that it can and should be destroyed.

>Petrification on a single save at 6th level
I don't care that it's only a minute. A hammer takes an action to use.
>Disintegrate at level 10
user pls
>Antimagic cone not only at level 14, but on a short rest as well
user PLS

Being a dick aside, it's a neat concept for a patron. But even if they're random, you'll need to bang out some nerfs on quite a few of those features. Also try adding in a ribbon or two, so far the entire class is combat oriented.

Have you guys ever purposefully played a weaker character to give others the spotlight in battle while you kinda play support and have fun on the side?

I have been thinking of playing a character who is a rogue and only uses a single dagger and is pretty shit at combat.
I was thinking of having like 7 levels in Arcane Trickster and then 5 levels in a Bard of Whispers and kinda have my PC as just a kinda fun hang around who takes feats like Gourmand and Speech to bolster everyone else

You forgot to write the 1/rest thing for the antimagic cone, as it is now you can just use it whenever. Considering it's basically a better version of a spell you usually get at level 15, I would definitely make it once per long rest, and even then it might need some sort of nerf.

It's only a 10d6 disintegrate, to be fair.

Quick, need help clarifying a rule.

Monk claims he can use his "ignore non-magical resistances" in an anti magic field, and the other players are super butthurt about it. I can't find anything that states the anti magic field should suppress it, but I can't actually explain my reasoning for allowing it, other than "it doesn't seem to explicitly state that", and I am not even sure I am right here.

I'm about to start DMing a group of co-workers/friends and i was going to start with lost mines of phandelver and transition it into a larger campaign if people want to continue. I was thinking of using a "bounty board" hook to start characters on phandelver and be a way to continue to the next adventure afterward. Any thoughts?

That's a really good question that I think could reasonably come down to GM fiat.

However, the entry for monk is "your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming...", explicitly that they aren't magical weapons. So, the overcoming resistance should, RAW, still function.

Guys.

I play an ancients paladin (resistance to magic), have a holy avenger (advantage on saves against magic), and have 20 AC.

wtf

Ki is a magic. if he is using his ki or channeling ki to ignore non-magical resistances then the ki would get bounced.
If it is a magical item then it would be up to your GM I guess

>fiend patron's level 14 ability is 10d10 damage, once per long rest
>this thing gives you 10d6 once per short rest at level 10
To my knowledge fiend is generally considered one of the better pacts, so this is pretty questionable.

A bounty board sounds pretty cool. You can help build Phandalin from a simple settlement into a fairly good town. A timeskip of a few years might be good for your party once they complete the module.

But if you want to do less work and still fit into the Forgotten Realms, Princes of the Apocalypse has a way to transition into its campaign.

>Actually seems pretty good, but I would change up the expanded spell list. Grease makes no sense when you could have Ray of Sickness, say. And not having Ray of Enfeeblement is a damn shame. Eyebite would be another good one, though Levitate is a good choice and should definitely stay.
Yeah, I'd have used spells like that, except they're already on the Warlock spell list. Grease came from the Beholder lair ability to cover everything in slime.

>. I would clean up the wording on the antimagic cone so it could just ape the powers of the one the beholder uses, having it turn on and off at-will (it's 18th-level, why not?), and maybe even have it last for 10 minutes.
Nah, at will AMF seems like a terrible idea. Make the player use it selectively, not just all the time while exploring a dungeon. It can disable traps and magic locks.

>>Petrification on a single save at 6th level
>I don't care that it's only a minute. A hammer takes an action to use.
Keep in mind that a petrified creature gets resistance to all damage. Its definately the strongest of the 4. I had considered a Slow effect, but it's so wordy and complicated.

>>Disintegrate at level 10
>user pls
Its not actual Disintegrate, which wizards get at 11, that does 10d6+40. That +40 is a big fucking deal. Average damage 35 vs average damage 75. From looking at 5th and 6th lvl spells (which occur at 9 and 11), 10d6 is an appropriate amount of damage. Chain Lightning does 10d6 and hops to other targets.

>>Antimagic cone not only at level 14, but on a short rest as well
>user PLS
Its a level earlier, with a different shape, and a shorter duration (1 minute instead of 1 hour). I might still make it 1/long rest.

>Also try adding in a ribbon or two, so far the entire class is combat oriented
This patron text is already really long, i might add a ribbon, but also cut one of the random eye rays for a shorter, simpler effect.

The bounty board hook is fine, but I'd personally recommend having a more direct connection to either Sildar Hallwinter or one of the Rockseeker brothers. That way, they're right away linked in a more personal way to the adventure, rather than just being in it for money.

Eg; if you have a dorf player, they could be Sildar's cousin or nephew or something. A player could be a family friend or something, or have worked with the Rockseekers before.

That, or maybe they have family in Phandalin?

Thats 10d10 attached to an attack, like eldritch blast. Its a much bigger nova effect.

Still, changing these from short to long isn't a bad idea.

I plan on having a rival gang of adventurers opposed to the party in an upcoming campaign I'm DMing. Not necessarily Linear Guild-style adventurers in the service of evil, but four or five people who, as coincidence happens, are also trying to recover the ancient treasure/are working for the other side of the civil war/just dislike the PCs for personal reasons/etc.

Corny? Terrible idea? Too difficult to design encounters in such a way that the rivals constantly escape? The exact makeup of the party will probably change to reflect the makeup of the PC party, and change as they fail to escape combat, most likely.

sageadvice.eu/2017/10/29/do-the-monks-ki-empowered-strikes-function-when-inside-an-antimagic-field-and-paladin-smite/

Sage Advice says no. Monk fists are nonmagical when in an antimagic field.

bro every major bad guy our party fights teleports away. its maddening

i was actually thinking about that if i wanted to use prior adventures or not. I don't have much prior D&D experience. Is forgotten realms something to seriously consider as a setting? Most of the players are first timers so i don't really think i need to go very in depth right away but i still want to have ideas if they want to continue.

My idea was to have a bounty board as their introduction to the Gundren Rockseeker and them getting hired by him(as opposed to them being hired by him specifically) and them maybe continuing as a group with a different bounty on the board afterward.

The idea of a time skip sounds really cool and i actually might use that. Thanks

>bro every major bad guy our party fights teleports away. its maddening

Yeah, the trick to pulling this off is to have the Rivals competing against the party for the same objective. They race the rivals through a Maze to get the treasure. Or they have to thwart some immediate threat, like defusing a bomb or rescuing hostages. The key is to make sure defeating the rivals in lethal combat isn't an objective, that it isn't even on the table. Otherwise, your players will pissed and frustrated. Defeating the rivals in straight combat, only to have them escape, undermines the sense of victory.

maybe have a character or two who know him but notice his name on a bounty board? if you see i was thinking of using it as a jump off point to further the story

>Level 1
Your eye regrows if it gets gouged out
wow, it's fucking nothing
>Level 6, 10
Somehow you don't require line of sight to the target whereas a beholder does?
Also it's just weird design to have straight up attacks as level 6 and 10 features, when normally are both defensive utilities. It's also annoyingly unreliable since often charm for example is rarely useful, but I guess that's part of the shtick. You can probably keep it, but it's all a bit weird. Level 14 is fucking ridiculous. It's an at-will that's even better than a level 8 spell, practically an at-will level 9 spell. Limit it to once a day, and even then it's powerful.

So has Rogue Modrons or Lamias been written up by anyone as player races?

>and the other players are super butthurt about it.
So? It's not their ability, they can fuck off. In the end it's your call, not theirs. Moving on from that however, the text of the ability in question reads
>Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
And the Sage Advice Compendium offers this litmus test for seeing if something is magical and therefore effected by AMF:
>Is it a magic item?
>Is it a spell? Or does it let you create the effects of a spell that’s mentioned in its description?
>Is it a spell attack?
>Does its description say it’s magical?
That's a no for the first three, but the last one is our problem. The ability seems magical to me, but I could see the argument that it's not magical per se, it merely COUNTS as magical for one specific rule. There's a difference between "your fists are magic" and "you can count this as a specific case for another rule." Ultimately it's your call, but as far as I can tell RAW is that they no longer count as magical in the field.

Got a campaign I'm interested in joining, however I've got a fly in this particular pudding; narrowed my options down to two concepts, all of them equally interesting to me. The campaign itself is an episodic series of adventures starting in Hartsvale, so I'm basically going for a Nordic-type with this one.

Which character concept sounds the most compelling?
>Local huntsman-turned-hero after fending off werewolf attack on his village, wife goes missing during attack, he leaves to track her down. Part of him knows she's been turned, so he seeks to either kill her, contain her, or hunt down the werewolf that attacked her to break the curse. Total dad-mode Ranger with a heavy focus on being a provider and expert bowman.
>Charming and undeniably clever third son of an already large family, given the important-yet-thankless task of being the family hearth keeper. Learns all sorts of folklore from his wizened old grandma, and when she passed would often tell the stories to himself and the fire, one day the fire talks back and burns his arm, binding him as a Warlock of... Something. He's now adventuring to discover his abilities and find a way to halt a curse that threatens to turn his entire body to ash.

But they're explicitly NOT described as being magical things, only "treated as magical in terms of overcoming resistances." They're not created by any sort of magical effect, wouldn't ping on detect magic, etc., so shouldn't be effected by an antimagic field.

Damn, those are both really cool concepts my dude.

The original confrontation (and first session) will be about a straight up adventurous scavenger hunt, where various parties are racing to complete it. I'm pretty much ripping off the beginning of Might and Magic 7, which I know for a fact none of them have played. If it does come to blows, I plan for the rivals to surrender, and hopefully the Good PCs will see it in bad taste to murder people over effectively a game.

At that point, maybe they'll show up working for the other side of various morally gray conflicts once or twice, or they'll see or hear evidence of their passing, to show that the PCs aren't the only freelance murder hobos in the world.

>hmm should I make a Faustian pact with the devil?
>maybe pursue some dangerous forbidden knowledge about old ones?
>or maybe I'll work for an angel an get a guaranteed seat in heaven

Oh right, and
>It's 1 minute instead of an hour, it's not much weaker/stronger than antimagic field?

Antimagic field shuts down your own magical capabilities, it's concentration, it's 10ft radius only and you can't just move it out of the enemy's way, pepper them with magical attacks and then shine the antimagic back onto them again. Also, antimagic field is useful for a bunch of other things like removing bullshit magic items that aren't artefacts (Though usually remove cusre will do this for you anyway), going through magical doors and traps, etc. You don't need it for the full hour usually. I'll admit though, enemies can also abuse the fact that your antimagic sphere doesn't cover you entirely, so-
I would say antimagic field is on-par with it, but considering that you're a high level spellcaster being able to actually cast spells is better than antimagic field, probably.

Orcus is supposed to be a god right ?
Enlighten me, why does he have stats ? I've seen them somewhere but I don't get how it can be.

You don't just dial the local patron agency and choose a patron, user. Unless you're an int warlock, but in that case it's probably of varying difficulties depending on what resources you have.

Orcus is a demon lord, not a god, but he does have godlike powers.

Any stats for anything godlike are actually the stats for their physical avatars, and the gods themselves can't actually be killed by conventional means even if you defeat them.

>Is forgotten realms something to seriously consider as a setting?

Its got a lot of lore behind it and is jam-packed with different cultures so that your players can be pretty diverse if they want to. However, it is the most generic high-fantasy setting you'll probably ever play in.

>not created by any sort of magical effect
Ki