Main God is a kind and wise philosopher elevated to Godhood after death

>Main God is a kind and wise philosopher elevated to Godhood after death

Why is this so rare compared to generic pantheons of nature deities?

I mean...Who elevated him? If there a More Main God? Mainer God? He's not the creation god so...World existed in a godless state until he rose? The premise seems very wonky.

This is the example provided in most rulebooks, and the rule in most settings for whatever original reason. As such most people model their homebrew after what they know.

Also kind philosopher-deities may be useful if you want to play some Apostle of Peace fella but most cleric player characters are warriors more suited to Darokka of the Seven Thunders than En-Liu of the Ever-blooming Lotus or what have you.

I was gonna say exactly this. Elevated implies an elevator (or -er).

Maybe things become deified by people's belief in them? A society might have had other gods in the past, but a renowned philosopher accrued so much devotion after his death that he was first defied and then came to eclipse whatever gods existed before him.

Most cultures viewed the humans as inherently unworthy of anything good. Anything worthy of that has to have been perfect from start to end.

I mean by the people who follow him

Not to say there cannot be OTHER gods

Most cultures practiced ancestor worship

>Maybe things become deified by people's belief in them?
Fuck off with this

Happens constantly IRL

Shit, we STILL hear everyday about Jesus or Vishnu causing miracles

Not so much for poor old Zeus

Then you resolve the dilemma in .

You could have a Creator force that is impersonal, but then a more relatable God who was a former human who takes patronage over people.

The miracles/curses of Kek are proof that this works.

Why does he need to be “elevated” in your sense? Perhaps it’s just one form of a greater being

Maybe he’s something even greater than a God

a few hundred chuckling neckbeards over a third-rate meme is not the same as several centuries of deification from dedicated followers. Build a fucking temple and then we'll talk.

You just want us to post Saint Young Men screenshots, don't you?

Because most TTRPG players live in the west, and in the west, there's very few people who worship pantheons. This makes pantheons interesting and foreign since most of us only know about ancient ones.

And there's always that one guy who says "You have one god in this setting? Is this an allusion to Christianity?" no matter how you make it. Your basis could be Zoroastrianism, Islam, Judaism, Tengri, that dumb thing Amonhotep tried, or none of the above and it will come up.

He elevated himself.

>Buddha
>God
uh
>Jesus
>Mortal
I guess I could kinda give you that, but he was 100% while being 100% mortal

He didn't say his picture was illustrating the specific concept he was asking about.

>Jesus
>Not God since birth

>Buddha
>God, despite the fact that he denied existence of deities

Yuck

I mean

To be fair Buddha never denied the Gods, and they form part of the Buddhist cosmology. The Gods are just as in need of liberation as well. In Mahayana & Vajrayana Buddhism,Buddha exists on a level above even the Gods.

Because "Cleric of..." is useful shorthand for ability and behavior in any game that puts thought into it (ie. Runequest or any D&D since AD&D 2). Using a monotheistic model means you bump the differentiation down at least one notch to saints or worldly "Orders", or you embark on an imaginative fantasy RPG with no behavioral cues.

>Buddha exists on a level above even the Gods.
"Above" may be the wrong word here. "Beyond" is a better fit. The Hindu cosmology is bound to the wheel of karmic reincarnation, but even the lords of the wheel are still part of it. Buddha taught that the Wheel could be left behind by methods other than the approved.

>World existed in a godless state until he rose?
Is there anything wrong with that?

I don't know why, but Jesus and Buddha as roommates just works.

Why are monotheist settings are so compared to polytheist ones? Even though Lord of the Rings was monotheistic. You'd think they would copy that one too.

>Why are monotheist settings are so compared to polytheist ones?
Wot?

You are either an atheist or you have a god, you can't have both. Pick a side.

You can be an atheist until a god actually rises. It's not that hard.

Their lives were interesting parallels

>Allegedly miraculous births
>Beloved by God(s)
>Seen as incarnation of God in many traditions
>Traveled far and wide gathering wisdom and battling temptation from demons
>His culture had become dogmatic and ruled by corrupt/rigid priesthoods
>Around age 30 begin teaching and performing miracles
>Gathers followers who themselves are said to have magical powers through their spiritual strength and devotion
>Dies and ascends to a level far beyond mere mortal
>Prophesized to return at the end of time and save the entire world from wickedness and pain
>Followers break into different sects after big council meetings
>Become persecuted in place of origin by the traditional religion
>Move into a powerful but declining empire
>Get persecuted for centuries for turning people away from the traditional religion
>Eventually become adopted as a means of power and to legitimize rule

It's sad to see dubstards posting on Veeky Forums because their constant nattering about dubs belies the fact that they don't seem to understand things like probability.

Is this a stealth Saints Young Men thread?

>Around age 30 begin teaching and performing miracles
Did they become wizards? What if it was just virgin powers?

Don't some Buddhists claim that Jesus is a reincarnation of Buddha? And don't some faggots claim that Jesus was instructed in Buddhist teachings during the Flight to Egypt?

It seems more exotic and fantastical to have gods more in the style of ancient myth to western audiences (which most tabletop rpgers are a part of), and it's less likely to either offend fragile religious sensibilities or be bothered by preconceived notions. Plus a lot of fantasy (especially japanese fantasy) has generic "light churches" and such that worship kind of nondescript monotheistic deity/force/concepts.

Also weren't 1e clerics followers of an ill defined but vaguely abrahamic god?

I don't see how it would be offensive to have the deity of a setting simply being "the Creator", whom we know nothing about except that there's only one of him and he... well, created shit. Alternatively, if you want to do the whole "Christianity without Christ" thing there's always the Cult of the Supreme Being

>Plus a lot of fantasy (especially japanese fantasy) has generic "light churches" and such that worship kind of nondescript monotheistic deity/force/concepts.
That's a shit and overused concept, yet I really, REALLY like that.

And THEN there's the memers who make their cosmology some entry-level Gnostic thing.

Or the "I skimmed the wikipedia entry on hinduism and now I'm a mystic".

We call those morrowind fans

It's occasionally claimed Jesus attained enlightenment much like the original Buddha.
If I recall correctly, a "Buddha" is actually a word describing someone who has attained enlightenment, so any enlightened person would be called Buddha.

Confirmation Bias is a helluva drug.

>Dubz ones go fasta
Is this how a kekocracy works? Rather than voting, candidates submit themselves to an RNG and the one with the most impressive digits wins?

>Main God is an asshole philosopher elevated to Godhood after death

Basically. Or the one for whom arbitrary events can be interpreted in favor of. It's basically divination-by-coincidence.

Mostly because in most fantasy settings, main and/pr supreme gods are usually powerful entities that incarnate concepts interwoven in the world itself (earth, life, and other primordial stuff), which is fucking hard for a simple mortal to surpass if he attains divinity. Only scenario I can see this happening is one in which a mortal ascends to godhood when there are not other gods in the setting (either they have never actually existed or they're gone or have been destroyed in some way).

>die
>ascend to godhood by the belief of the sheer amount of morons who follow your philosophy without understanding shit
>get to the palace of the gods
>proceed to pest them by endless ranting and rational discussion about the nature of divinity

Someone try this in their setting.

>Is this a stealth Saints Young Men thread?
Is is now.

Existence has always existed and the universe made itself. It is unnecessary to attribute anthropomorphic qualities to it

There was one christian user a while back that said something along the lines of preferring pantheons in fantasy because any attempt to represent an abrahamic style god would be poorly done and ultimately fail to represent the values he believed in the way he believed in them.

... in English language

It's like you never heard about Sapir-Whorf hypothesis

Can I be that god?

Maybe in the setting, things work on belief, so if enough people believe he ascended past mortality, then he did.

Do you acknowledge the mountain for elevating the man, or the man for climbing it's peak?