/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Early thread to consolidate the two existing ones edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
What do you think the next big Wizards release will be? Is there anything (Stories/Areas/Characters) you are hoping get included?

Other urls found in this thread:

5etools.com
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyHA7hDlb
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJZGVBT4bW
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJyI7tJfW
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Did 5etools die again?

>What do you think the next big Wizards release will be?
Hopefully sooner than May's "Marathon" supplement release. Dear god, a six month wait will make /5eg/ even more insufferably to read than usual.

>Wizards release
i'm hoping for Dark Sun. Do they own Spelljammer still?

>Mfw i find Xanathars Guide to Everything at a local book store used (mint condition probably stolen knowing this city) for $20. and i had some credit

All these thirsty motherfuckers making new threads while old threads are still in the catalogue are giant faggots. Calm the fuck down. You do not need a new thread before the old thread falls off. If you are that fucking autistic, then wait until the old thread is on page 10 you cock gargling twat stains.

5etools.com is dead, the github link the op works

Those of you who use roll20 what do you guys use to create maps?

I am just getting into DM'ing and have $20 on steam, thinking about getting Dungeon Painter Studio

>5etools.com
heres the new like my nig

Go away

I reckon they'll reintroduce the planescape as an official 5e concept and give us a guide to Sigil and/or running a Modron march

Morons have been making multiple threads in quick succession lately so extreme measures are needed.

i hope someone had the trove backed up

With props, is it better to have a drinkable healing potion or something filled with dice?

Every other general on this board can keep their shit together outside of a fuckup or two. Why the fuck does /5eg/ need 3 threads up? It's not like something interesting is done with the OP. It's just the same shit again and again. There are no internet points to win, newfags.

I really hope they go back to Spelljammer but I wouldn't bet on it

Oh, I'm fucking retarded, I completely overlooked the github

>big release
Spelljammer or some other multi-plane-adventure stuff.
Mostly I'm just waiting for mystic v4 and a working artificer.

Don't post it like that, clownshit, it will get taken down fastwise.

I said it before and I'll say it again, user. Nobody likes prop comics.

Would you rather have 3 threads up (Two that will soon die), or 2 Active Threads for weeks

Wait, its the second monday of the month...did a New UA drop?

>What do you think the next big Wizards release will be?
They've been pushing Sigil and other Planescape related things fairly heavily recently, so I'd be surprised if that wasn't the next big thing. I have no problems with that; I loved Planescape. I just hope they don't fuck up the setting and the art too much.

Delayed for no reason

Their one tech support guy dedicated to the D&D side of things is on vacation so they delayed it.

It's better to have neither, why would you need a prop, especially for a fucking potion. On second thoughts try both, maybe you'll choke

Knowing our luck it's gonna be Grey Hawk or more Faerun. I blame the normies.

They already said there won't be one this month. Wait until next month.

Just keep one thread up. The other generals manage that for the most part. And our threads don't last weeks, similarly while Veeky Forums isn't /b/, /tv/, or some other quick shithole it's fast enough that keeping 3 threads up is unnecessary.

That picture is stupid from so many angles. This sort of shit has been in the dnd books for a long ass time.

i'd like some Grey Hawk or Eberron though, i dont know jack about Spelljammer

I can't tell if this image is raging at the fact D&D is more varied and inclusive or raging at the 3rd guy.

There is nothing wrong with the top part of this picture. If you want your game to be a straight white male aryan utopia so be it

god I hope not

/5eg/ is one of the fastest, if not the fastest topics on Veeky Forums you nitwit

Accidents happen you mouthbreather

Heya /5eg/. Was kicking around a character concept earlier, essentially a mash-up between medieval plague doctor and a police detective. Basically in the setting my group is playing in, the kingdom has suffered its equivalent of the Black Death, with entire cities being depopulated, heaps of bodies in the streets, etc. To counter this, an order of doctors and investigators were founded to prevent the spread of the plague, with the ability to sanction and quarantine entire towns if need be. A rogue with the Inquisitive archetype seems the best fit for that type, but I'm getting stuck on background. Are there any that give you proficiency with the medicine kit and would be fitting for a doctor/surgeon/whatever?

Eberron I could get behind

Creating a new thread while the old one is on page 7 isn't a mistake, fuccboi. It's a particular blend of autism and newfaggotry that seems exclusive to /5eg/.

Eberron makes my peeny hard. Glad that I decided not to wait for WotC's official support and have been running it for like a year now over multiple groups.

A-a-a-anyone?

I use Tiled map editor (freeware) with premade map tiles (especially the ones from Gabriel Pickard), maybe with some editing in Photoshop (pirated).

Ok next time I will go to every distinct posters house and personally insure two threads don't get made again captain!

Stop clogging up this thread with your dumb metaposting, stinky

Can I have some feedback on these spells? I'm okay with them being a little OP (the characters got scrolls of them as special treasure, and I'm considering whether or not they will be allowed to learn these spells as they level up since they have the scrolls) but I want to make sure they aren't insanely broken. Inkfire is the one I am most worried about. I am also curious what you think of the potential combo between Death Aegis and Necrotic Surge. I kinda like the idea of spell combos. I just want to make sure these are too powerful for 5e, and if they are, how I should change them to make them more balanced without destroying the spells core concept.

Just fucking wait until the old thread falls off or it's on page ten, it's not that hard. If you're inclined to make a thread, make sure you follow the above and check the catalogue to see if there aren't any other random /5eg/ threads lurking about.

Every other general knows how to do this. Don't act like it's some weird rarefied standard I'm trying to create.

I post here all the time, it's just bullshit that this thread feels the need to have multiple threads up at once. Anons need to speak up so that this shit doesn't continue.

>I wait to make a new thread
>Some autismo sperg doesnt, makes it at page 10.99999
>Guy in other thread makes one as well
>REEEE TWO THREADS REEEE REEE REEEEEEEEEEE

Get the FUCK out of our thread. You aren't a fucking moderator and your not in charge so go do us a favor and go fuck yourself on the way out.

You do realize dipshits and autists were making multiple threads on purpose at times right? It started about Friday or Saturday, someone started screeching because of anime op image, then went and made another thread.

This one was made so the cycle is nipped in the bud so to speak. Now my question is which are you the anime op or the autist?

Where can I pick up those tilesets? Everything I google points me at roll20

Unless its an unsavory way, then say no more

If it was happening on page 10, I wouldn't be bitching. But again and again this happens shortly after we hit bump limit. That in and of itself wouldn't be so bad if one of the threads was deleted, but dumb cunts keep bumping it.

>our thread
Been here for a while, m8. It's just this place does a shit job of policing itself.

I'm neither. I get the intent of this thread, I'm just tossing all this out there so that fuckers understand not to keep doing this multiple thread shit.

EVERYBODY KNOWS YOU FUCKING RETARD, NO NEED TO SPERG OUT ABOUT IT.
CAPS FOR EMPHASIS.

Enchantment wizards are extremely underrated.

No one underrates a wizard that can control minds dude. And if they do, then good job, you are a successful enchanter.

>Wizards
>Underrated
Yeah if you're retarded or illiterate

>after it hits bump limit
>dumb cunts keep bumping it

>he actually believes he knows what he's talking about

It's not Divination, so it's shit

You're a cleric, stop fighting and start supporting. Cast bless, cast command to trigger all the martials' reaction attacks, whatever.

Obviously everyone doesn't know, because it keeps happening. In addition there have been several posts that made it clear that people don't have an issue with it. I am simply stating that the multiple thread practice is fucking wrong. That's all.

Rather than deleting the extra thread they keep bumping it. Which means that you've got some empty shell of the thread with hollow bump posts and a main thread everyone is posting in. Sorry if that was cumbersome.

>I'm just tossing all this out there so that fuckers understand not to keep doing this multiple thread shit.
If you're not a moderator, you're only exacerbating the problem. Autists made the other threads out of spite, and they'll make even more out of spite now. Just report duplicate threads and only post in one at a time.

Yes, but never gave a good reason.

>been playing module campaigns for a year
>we decide we want to make our own homebrew setting
>the DM also now wants to be a player

Long story short I'm now the DM of our new setting (snowy primitive Norse tundra with bear people and vikings) and I'm a little overwhelmed with what the fug to do, and premade content can't hold my hand because we aren't using modules anymore.

Could you guys give me any tips? I've invested in a DM screen (the master's tome one that's customizable), a PDF of the Dungeon Master's Guide, and a paper notebook for my campaign notes/maps. What else do I need? Any tips?

It's an exciting challenge as I love writing stories and shit but I'm nervous as fuck.

First thing is to not stress over any small things. And have no fear, you can still use some crutches. It is very easy to adapt existing modules to the kind of content you are going for.

I'm about to run my first as well but I'm going to start with a early short premade adventure that I've modified to fit my ideas. I might even use a whole adventure and just change the themes

What Frog player races are there? Starting with most official, but I don't think there has even been a UA with a frog race, has there?

Do share. Anything in particular you found challenging or you thought you did well?

I've been thinking about running a campaign for a while, but haven't worked up the courage yet. I'm not a fan of the existing 5e UA Eberron options. Thoughts?

nope, but there's the one grung above homebrew that was developed in house I think but just never intended for AL legal play, and then I guess you're left adapting stuff like bullywugs from monster stat blocks

What's the difference between thunder and force damage?

>Putting ice in your whisky

Thunder is audible while force is something more ethereal?

>tfw only make thread when making a thread would bump old thread into 404 and have a constant updater to stop me if another thread is made

Get on my level, scrubs.

Not playable, I don't think so. But there are 3 frog people race.

Bullywug, Slaad and Grungs. They all have slightly weird flavors.

I don't understand the question, they're just two different damage types. Do you mean what's the like in-universe difference in properties?

You're the hero we need, but not the hero we deserve.

In universe, I guess, like what it would feel like to be hit by one damage type over the other.

Play it loose, the tendency is to overprepare and players will quickly break it at best or ignore it at worst. Have a basic outline and sequence of events that can progress with or without player interaction, then just follow the players where they lead you.

Add the things you wanted to see as a player to keep yourself invested. Start making a big list of random plot elements/puzzles/encounters (short descriptions, never fully-stated things) that you can insert at will wherever it seems interesting. If you insert something but the players skip it, just use it again later. Remember everything is new to them, so you can relax too.

Remember, you don't have to be infallible or omnipotent. You can ask the players what they want, in the middle of playing. "What kind of magic items are you interested in?" "What should this enemy look like?" "What should happen now?" When all is lost, find a table and roll it.

I'm in a similar boat, but I knew our DM has always wanted to be a player and I suspect he brought me in specifically to groom me to take over DMing.

Our first game is on Thursday and I'm pretty anxious about it. I have a homebrew setting and NPCs prepared but not much else in the way of a planned campaign/adventure.

Good luck to you, friend

I have Dungeon Painter Studio and it's good. However it has a problem with big maps and it can be difficult to set up custom art, especially if you have a lot to sort though. Being able to make walls wherever you want though is fucking great, I love plopping down a floor tile and not being restricted to pre-gen walls.

Right, thanks

>at will hold person
>can double the normal hold person

It's better than divination, which is a one trick pony.

Transmutation/illusion wizards are even more underrated.

Don't worry about not having a planned campaign or adventure, have some random things to do and let the adventure develop on it's own. Hopefully the former DM will help by seeking out things to do.

Thunder is like a powerful blast of air or shockwave accompanied by debris and loud noise, whereas force is like getting hit by a solid object; a wall of solid force or an invisible gut punch

Think of thunder as reverberating vibrations of sound through space. It breaks bones, ruptures flesh and shatters stone and warps metal. Lightning burns through flesh, chars bone and splinters off stone through sheer energy. But force damage is pure energy too, but magical energy.

In my games I rule it as an ethereal lightning. It burns through the soul, but it hits flesh and bone like a strong punch. So I use it more like a physical sort of medium in the plane, but it can be terrible for ethereal creatures and can kill even if it doesn't rip through the target.

But that is my two cents. I have seen it done differently.

Illusions rely heavily on the DM actually acknowledging the illusions. Don't know how many players I've had mention wanting to play one but "DMs never let the spells actually work" so they elan towards something else.

Illusion I agree with. Transmutation wizards are cucks though.

Transmutation should be awesome, but the mechanics of the SoT are garbage.

I use this Eberron race rework: homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyHA7hDlb

Here's some conversions of various Eberron monster stat blocks: homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJZGVBT4bW

I also use these action points rules because I find the normal +1d6 action points very boring and bad for achieving what they say they're supposed to (cinematic action and heroic storytelling): homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJyI7tJfW

I don't find much of Eberron hard to run with 5e rules. I've run a bunch of Xen'drik hexcrawl stuff using Tomb of Annihilation's rules, and I use the UA/XGE downtime rules for buying/selling/crafting items, using plenty of downtime when doing urban adventures.

I wouldn't allow a PC to learn these because the wording is cryptic, yet a little to precise.
>I would tone down the dmg for the Avasculate to 6d8 if you want to make it a learnable spell.
>I would also advise Crucium Hex to be 2d12 dmg and it to be evoke-able per turn as a bonus action and concentration up to 1 minute. (Similar to Witch Bolt)
>Inkfire (Rename This Plz) should be treated as a fireball. With a 20ft radius and should be 1 action. Make dmg 10d6 and whatever dies becomes a zombie with a wisdom check to make sure its under the PC's control

Also If a Player decides to use inkfire in a village and destroys it. Then you will have a problem on your hands.
Also change the Death Aegis description to sound better. Swirling Black Fog sounds better than Swirls of Black Mist

>warlock invocations to push, pull or decrease movement with eldritch blast are all separate

it feels like these should all be in one single invocation, with the player having the choice of which one to use. they're pretty situational otherwise and with invocation slots being so competitive it's really hard to justify using them

Faction agent

since when does the fucking PHB matter?
If they want to celebrate scraps they can have them.

As someone who is going back running an Eberron game after a pause brought on by holidays and Life Nonsense, thanks for these. May the Flame warm your life and brighten your soul.

I think you're retarded and know nothing of balance, but I agree that Lance of Lethargy is lackluster. But hey, if you have a problem with something like that you can always just change it up or talk to your DM.

hey /5eg/, I want to make my pet Tortoise a playable character in my next campaign, probably as a tanky fighter, but with a race like Tortle he starts with +17 AC along with +2 using a shield

Is starting off the game with +19 (+21 When in a shell) AC kinda retarded? Or am I fine

i mean it's great but apparently wizards considered it balanced enough so i guess you're good

Is there a good rule of thumb for how big a map should me?

what kind of map?

a barbarian with 16 dex and con can start with 16AC, 18 with shield. So starting tortle AC is pretty solid but no armor can be an issue later depending on your class

tortle barb is pretty alright since you can have your 17AC and just keep it or eventually outstrip it with unarmored defense if you have the stats

It's just +1 AC compared to chain mail + shield, and it's worse than plate

you don't start with plate

>rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

Is the Trove not working? Or is it my computer that's fucking up?

>finger of death was originally introduced as the counterpart to raise dead that anti-clerics would use in OD&D
>finger of death isn't on the cleric spell list
but why

So Critical Role gets a lot of hate, but are there any D&D streams/podcasts etc. that are better than it? I haven't looked very hard but everything else I've found so far is terribly dull and slow (e.g. Dice Camera Action), not roleplayed comfortably/low production value (Force Grey), or 800% jokes (Harmonquest). Any suggestions? And yes, I do play the game.

trove was taken down, search archive for trove.