/gengen/

- Genesys Roleplaying General -

FFG cant ship for shit and user needs dem 10 steps Edition

>Previous thread:
>Known Genesys Settings
pastebin.com/7knE7KSv

>Online Exstras
1drv.ms/b/s!AtRqt1GrxR67huIiSZ9_fVMOqVUdJA - Fillable Charecter sheet
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/386612561115611137/genesys_setting_worksheet_fillable.pdf - Fillable Setting sheet
genesys.skyjedi.com/ - Online Dice Roller
drive.google.com/file/d/1qwkM0daKLi_yWPmoIgFCfb92oeJueFD3/view - Cheat sheet
drive.google.com/open?id=1j-6zsjft-HKKcTCD3qlRGUixfNwWZiIr - A PDF of something ;)
docs.google.com/document/d/1K0BVQxmZTMn8XFovHPCjubK7H-qZDWRSC9QR_2E683I - Special Rules (From StarWars to Genesys)

>Disord Server
discord.gg/3vNJa6t

>FFG Community Forums
community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/527-genesys/

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/1HYgo_PT1A7HxKeislCWsNrM4-lnwDEjz/view?usp=sharing
i.4cdn.org/tg/1513100385827.pdf
drive.google.com/open?id=1g7dm98qPHPHxHFo7noDLsiUwiEzDV6iE
drive.google.com/open?id=1j-6zsjft-HKKcTCD3qlRGUixfNwWZiIr
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qy33uMm1FqQJPD8W-p5aXM5XHNwsU4126JgJ91LsIfE/edit#gid=644202127
imgur.com/a/s8aCz
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1419/61/1419616710936.pdf
drivethrurpg.com/product/228813/Genesys-Core-Rulebook
superuser.com/questions/448519/how-to-remove-watermark-from-pdf-using-pdftk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First setting, more to come later in the day

drive.google.com/file/d/1HYgo_PT1A7HxKeislCWsNrM4-lnwDEjz/view?usp=sharing

Gods work user. get yourself and beer

What sorts of talents should be created to make more specialized magic?
A talent for casting fireballs for example.

I'm not sure yet.

Right now I'm trying to tear apart the existing Implements in order to get a better idea of how to create our own (seriously, why wasn't that included as a toolkit somewhere, when we have full rules for designing weapons?).

I think having more ways for mages to spend money on upgrades will alleviate some of the concerns people are having with magic stacking up against weapon users.

Brawl is covered by Melee (Light) now. I figured a light and heavy melee skill made more sense for 40k than a brawl/melee split.

Eyup. Forgot to fix that up, thanks for pointing it out user.

I'll try to work some more in, see what interesting stuff I can find in Enemies Within and Blood of Martyrs. I definitely want to stray away from faith laser beams though, I like the subtle applications of faith.

Anyone have pictures of the Careers in the book?

>Other PDF content
i.4cdn.org/tg/1513100385827.pdf

Hot of the presses

Seems that I won't be able to get my copy for Christmas, but at least I have been able to see bits of the book, so thank you for that.

I have been thinking about running a game set in the Monster Hunter universe, do you think that it could work?

Keep them coming user! Thanks

What about a talent that lowers the strain suffered by 1 when casting a "Fireball" spell, however you define it mechanically?

Or maybe one that allows you to proc the Burn quality with 1 advantage instead of 2.

A talent where you still need 2 Advantage, but Burn's quality equals rank in Knowledge.

Genesys gave Magic a few resources:

- Skill check (usually)
- Cost (strain)
- Modifiers (effects, increasing difficulty)

How does the Talent affect the user?
Is it Passive or Active?
Does it modify any of the three components of magic above, or does it affect the user directly?
Ranked?

Yes, I think it could work real well, although I would personally add rules for dodging as opposed rolls, and blocking as regular defense

thank you user

>I'll try to work some more in, see what interesting stuff I can find in Enemies Within and Blood of Martyrs. I definitely want to stray away from faith laser beams though, I like the subtle applications of faith.

Yeah, even something as simple as "Strong Faith" Tier 1 - Gain a blue to Discipline rolls vs. Fear or some shit. Then maybe a Tier 2 that lets you give that blue to the group or whatever.

It be nice to see at least one for each tier, but I understand how it isn't huge priority and certainly don't need Lay on Hands-ing laser clerics. It should definitely be lower key stuff like a few blues doing things in line with Ecclesiarchal things: resisting fear, corruption, maybe circumstantial combat bonuses, maybe Medicine rolls.

Just stuff for us fanatic priests to purchase to remind people why they should study more in Sunday School!

Solid user!

Classes look good to me. Streamlined as fuck.

You'll want to avoid Blood of Martyrs then, as that's the Fucking Miracles sort of faith powers.

Wasn't there an user who was doing a shadowrun conversion for this?

Did he end up coming up with anything tangible?

Not that I've seen, but I may have overlooked something. You might want to also check the official forums--I know the Dark Heresy guy is active there too, and so might Shadowrun Guy be.

So is there a single good reason to play this over savage worlds date or GURPS? Far as I can tell its just a scam to sell 15 dollar dice sets. A few just rolled into our FLGS and that was enough to convince me not to go back. I've been buying stuff there even though Amazon is cheaper, but if they are going to participate in this bullshit then I suppose I can do my 100 dollars per month of purchasing somewhere else. This game looks like utter fucking trash, snowflake dice mechanic that provides no tangible benefit besides "if you get this symbol then you have a complication LOOK IT'S REAL ROLE-PLAYING NOT D&D AM I DOING IT RIGHT YET GUYS"

utter fucking crap.
There is not a single innovative thing about this system.

Are you done with your temper tantrum, user?

I checked the Discord. A group is working on a SR setting. Last post I saw was a few days ago. Not much beside that.

Here is all the magic rules:
drive.google.com/open?id=1g7dm98qPHPHxHFo7noDLsiUwiEzDV6iE

In exchange I have a question. I fear magic could be unbalanced. To cast a spell it takes 2 strain, but you can spend an advantage to get back a strain. Whats stopping you from casting low level spells to regen all your stamina and effectively removing the only limit on spell-casting?

Mostly as inspiration, iirc it had some talents which were on the less ridiculous side of things (the powers themselves were all pretty fucked, I agree)

Not an argument, nigger.

It wasn't in response to an argument, so I don't know why anybody would expect an argument as a response.
Also flamebait copypasta and meme responses violate the global rules.

>he hasn't even read the rules
>still feels he can judge it as "utter fucking trash" with a "snowflake dice mechanic"
Savage Worlds is good for tactical combat but not a lot else, Fate is okay but lacks the structure Genesys does and GURPS is straight up sperg trash, hope this helps you understand

In combat, and actually casting spells that would require a check, nothing, and it's definitely a reasonable strategy, but in exchange you're spending a turn to cast a limited spell and hoping you get what you need in a game where combat can only last up to 3-4 rounds against more typical enemies.

Out of combat, if it's a nothing spell that's just a small narrative effect, then it should just happen; no check but probably still strain cost.

Don't like it, don't play it. With a post like that, you aren't here to see if it's worth playing. You're just here to bitch and moan.

Someone came and asked some questions and didn't get too much non-troll feedback, so not sure if he'll bother to be back. Which is a shame as Shadowrun is high on my list of "games I'd like to see converted to solid mechanics" list.

>drive.google.com/open?id=1j-6zsjft-HKKcTCD3qlRGUixfNwWZiIr

If you wanna add this comprehensive spell and effects sheet we made that would be neato.

Its cool cause you can CTRL F things and also copy paste them.

I'm not SR user, nor am I intimately familiar with the original mechanics of SR or Adobe Indesign, but if I have the time I will gladly work on an SR conversion for Genesys as I feel it would fit the rules well.

I fucked up

This is the link I meant

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qy33uMm1FqQJPD8W-p5aXM5XHNwsU4126JgJ91LsIfE/edit#gid=644202127

I'll actually be playing my first session with this in a one-shot Thursday evening. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes, though I don't have much RPG experience (wargames are way more popular at my FLGS). I think I'll enjoy the dice pool mechanic more than most RPG players because of my affinity for mass dice anyway (40k Ork player).

Good on ya!

Most seems pretty self explanatory, the trick will mostly be how to deal with magic (is Genesys basic magic too open ended for SR?) and worse, how to deal with PhysAdepts, as there seems no rules even close for them.

I'll be back soon. I'm in Uni taking finals so my priorities have shifted for the week.

I'm not disappointed in the lack of pages and pages of magic systems and alternatives, but man, they really left that entire concept to just hang.

I'm working on breaking down implements so that you can build custom ones like we can with weapons. I'm also working on some obvious talents for magic.

Looks good. I agree that the magic system is pretty disappointing. We can hope for a nice supplement but this is a bit too little and vague in my opinion. The one line of "Magic should never be better than an actual skill" is a saving grace and shows they are aware of potential pitfalls, but that they couldn't skim a few more pages from other areas into a more robust magic system is a bit concerning.

Oh, I didn't think they were fucked. I personally liked the more dramatic stuff, as a SOB player (I mean, SOB have had inv saves from sheer faith in the longest time. Faith doing biblical shit is my default.)

I am a huge fan of faith stuff in 40k games, priest-types is my go-to character, but a player having the ability to call down direct divine intervention like that doesn't sit right with me. It feels a bit out of place with the themes.

Life-long warrior nun's having super-faith I'm fine with, *in the universe*, but just not convinced that is a good thing to have in the hands of players. It should either be supremely expensive with massive RP and XP costs or much more vague, like a D&D 5e Cleric's "ask for intervention" ability where you don't know what form it will take, rather than "pew-pew faith laz0rz".

I'd much rather see things kept more subtle, as there are plenty of ways to do it.

While I honestly like it with 40k's themes as it adds a fair bit to the supernatural aspect and the idea that so much is defined by belief. It doesn't really strike me as any worse in player hands than Psyker powers.

Still, to each their own.

Yes, but being a psyker means forever being distrusted and under threat of a lynching (both by random crowds and at any point by the Inquisition), this isn't including that your powers are always a threat to yourself and others.

Psykers seem much more a high risk/high reward type thing.

Can anyone hook me up with the item creation tables?

I know they're in the janky pdf that was in the OP for the last few threads. If we got better scans of them, I missed it.

imgur.com/a/s8aCz

Thanks anons

Good to hear! Don't let Genesys drinking get in the way of finals!

I was going to build an entire magic system for my setting anyways, so it's not a big deal to me. What we have are more like guidelines though, so I see why people would be angry

Dude stop shilling your fucking Discord in the OP.

Anyone have the weapon table from the fantasy section?

it's in there:

>drive.google.com/file/d/1HYgo_PT1A7HxKeislCWsNrM4-lnwDEjz/view?usp=sharing
Oh shit, thanks. I totally missed that being posted.

Not my discord. And have you not heard the good word?
Shilling is what we do!

Wrong.

Drinking is what we do.

Can confirm, Im a shill for shilling. Please shill, everyone. Its amazing.

Alcohol shilling is still shilling, anonyshill.

Will do. Hopefully I'll have the initial write-up done before the holidays for you drunken fucks to tear it to pieces.

Why should I play genesys over other generic systems with more established fan bases and more material?

Not trolling, I'm looking into the system and want some answers

Same reason you should play any system, because you find the actual mechanics interesting and fun.

If you like the narrative mechanics of the dice and it applies to the type of game you want to run, why not play it, even if it is *relatively* new? If you not, then don't try and force it.

Narrative dice is a cool concept, it makes every roll much more dynamic than a pass/fail. Additionally it encourages played to come up with how the positive befits are played out.
Really the system has some depth with a surprising little amount of hard crunch.
If you want a good idea on the details, read the game rule sections of Edge of the Empire. It was the Star Wars game that used the rules before Genesys.

personally I enjoy that the rolls offer several axis of information at once. Your attack roll, determines if you hit, your extra damage, chance of critting. and extra advantages can be spent to do things like recover strain, buff yourself or allies, or hinder your foes next turn.

also, dont be intimidated about those 'narrative dice'. Yes it offers ways for the party and GM to come up with free form was good and bad things can happen but for all really important rolls there also a list of good and bad you or the gm can 'spend into' if you want to keep things simple. Especially combat.

It's a nice compromise between crunchy and narrative rather than being too far one or the other. You can have a tactical combat experience with narrative flair.

Technically you don't need Genesys to do that, but Genesys gives you tools to help you do that and make it easier for GMs and Players.

not the guy you're talking to, but it would be interesting to see a mod of genesys that is purely for tactical combat that follows a bit more rigid list of 'these are the things you can spend dice on' during rolls.

Man, poor maces getting the short end of the stick once again.

img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1419/61/1419616710936.pdf

You mean like this?

Because those fanbases are shit. Join the cool kids club.

You can rework them to be less shitty using the weapon design toolkit in the book.

Yeah, it's a bit much. Crit 4 is what really puts it over the line.

It just seems a bit like a game that would be fine with one stat line for all 1 handed melee weapons to let people pick style over mechanics. Swords just seem clearly superior between axe/sword/mace type choice.

Weighted head attachment is available for maces, which puts them at +5 damage. It's currently the best choice for dual wielding, is it not?

Attacking for straight Wounds, yes. Swords/Light Spears would be better if you wanted to add some defense while still getting damage from both weapons when dual-wielding.

Has anyone shared Android example setting and Sci-Fi chapter?

I like how flexible it is. And neutral fluffing of implements is good since now it can be used as is by Mad Scientist, Arcanist, Priest, and Shaman alike.

They already released the pdf at drivethrurpg

The absolute madmen.

drivethrurpg.com/product/228813/Genesys-Core-Rulebook

Truly blessed

>drivethrurpg.com/product/228813/Genesys-Core-Rulebook

Wow, sale for only $20 too. Guess I will buy it.

>drivethrurpg.com/product/228813/Genesys-Core-Rulebook

Post it, user! Your day of anonymous internet glory awaits you!!

>watermarked pdf
>anonymous

Fair use! You shared it with your table-mates and you don't know how it got out!

Eh, You're right. It's a bad idea. I just got excited and wasn't thinking.

Hint: There are people on /share/ who can help (you) with a watermarked and locked pdf file.
See >

Someone will know how to clean the watermark... Eventually.

Does anyone know a *working* coupon code?

Yep, drop it in here and I'll clean it.
vola file org /r/db91awem

Uh... EotE is one of the most taxing on GMs outside of something like Pathfinder. Don’t try and advertise the dice as easy on GMs when the game is extraordinarily player focused despite the dice putting players at a little disadvantage. Every single roll puts the GM in a spot, and many of the rolls make it extremely hard to GM properly.

I’ve not read every page of the generic, but there’s nothing making it easier on GMs here and generic tends to make things a little harder since there isn’t prior art to reference for tone and feel.

I used to find it extraordinarily taxing responding to the dice-- until I let my players help me. Once you have player and GM hunched over a result like augers reading tea leaves, it becomes a lot easier.

Don't always narrate how it happens-- ask THEM how it happens and moderate things as necessary.

Can you acquiesce another file drop, I missed it.

Thanks user.

If anyone has the PDF and wants it cleaned up for sharing, they can upload it to the vola room. After I've got it I'll delete it, and upload the cleaned version ter.

Nobody donated it yet. ;)

what is the vola room? Me and my group are probably going to get it but I dont know what the watermark is, also what do you mean cleaned? Is the pdf locked in some way or something or is it regarding the watermark?

Ok, I see, so the name and order number is put on the book... In that case no offense but I dont think Ill trust an user to clean it up for me, Id have to figure out how to do it myself, if you are willing to teach me, though Im not familiar enough with Veeky Forums to know how exactly we could extrapolate this conversation to a different medium

If you buy it from drivehtru then there will be a digital watermark with your name and order number, so I'm talking about removing those, 'cleaning' the PDF.

A vola room is on volafile.org, a place where you can upload and download files, and also chat with whoever's there.

This guide covers most of it:
superuser.com/questions/448519/how-to-remove-watermark-from-pdf-using-pdftk

Just watch out for the watermark being divided into sections. So there might be one watermark for our first name, a second for your surname, and a third for the order number. Trying to remove all three in one sweep will appear to do nothing.

Good luck!

Im no coder but Ill try

That's because this might be the single most player-centric system I can think of.

If you go into the PDF Share general, there are trustworthy cleaners (MageGuru, etc) that have been in this game for ages. I'm just an user, but I've donated probably $300 worth of PDFs to be cleaned and never had any troubles.

Id try to do that, but alas the copy of the PDF does not belong to me and I am not going to take the risk for somebody else. Ill just have to do it myself. I wouldnt think twice if I was the one whose name was on it.