Would Konami make money if they introduced a classic format? Normies who liked it as kids seem to hate the game now

Would Konami make money if they introduced a classic format? Normies who liked it as kids seem to hate the game now.

Other urls found in this thread:

yugioh-card.com/en/events/generationduel.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'd buy the reprints thats 4 sure

I'd buy the Yugi and Kaiba tins that are out now but they're useless to play with so what's the point?

I wish people would come together on a big scale with konami support and play the game without turns that take an eternity and special summons out of the ass

>Four dragons in the grave at least
>One on the field
>Buster Blader now has 5100 ATK points

This cunt is about to get Season 2'd by some devious protagonist.

I do love it when people have simple solutions to flashy plays like that.

Like imagine someone just playing an old regular Effect monster tribute after their opponent goes all in with synchro and xyz and whatever combos, and beating them head-on. No BS tricks, just straight up "my guy has more ATK than your guy".

>Field is empty, can't normal summon
>fuckton of ways to send a summoned monster, even special summoned, right into the Graveyard
>fuckton of counter cards to stop counterplays
>fuckton of cards to stop an attack
You'd need a literal huge moment of luck (and a misplay from the opponent) for this kind of shit to happen. Also
>mfw DD/removal decks could stop most of this shit, but Konami specifically puts vital cards on the ban/limited list to stop them from countering the nearly enforced meta

Well these synchro monsters tend to be stronger and they also have better effects

God it's so annoying that ATK is basically irrelevant in the game.

ATK is relevant still. It just isn't the only way to win.

Try Duel Links for mobile. That only has up to GX so far.

Wish theyd stop updating that game DESU

Yes, when they get to Light of Destruction it will be finished.
It doesn't play like real YuGiOh.

>when they get to Light of Destruction it will be finished
The game is WAY past that point dude. When Duel Links was launched it already had cards from sets that came out years after Light of Destruction did.

It doesn't have Synchros right?

Honestly yeah. I'm lapsed and in no mood to re-lapse after spending an afternoon researching all the bullshit they've introduced. A changing meta is one thing but this barely resembles the original game at this point. Fucking shit needs a math degree to figure out how to summon monsters.

Nostalgia is all the rage in pop culture these days and the OG YGO anime had two Twitch marathons recently. Make a format that stops where the original anime stops (or roughly thereabout) and promote it as "YGO Classic" or some shit and I guarantee you'll get tons of returning players who stopped once they finished middle school way back when.

WoW is doing it with Vanilla WoW and it's pretty heavily anticipated.

I think most would agree that stopping where GX stopped would be better.

Nowhere near. They've only just introduced level 4 creatures with 1900 atk.

Except when really relevant.

>trying Yugioh again
>get opponent on the ropes
>he summons a monster immune to spells, traps, and can't be targeted by effects while having 5000 ATK
>"uhh... I literally don't have a tool in my deck to deal"

Should have invested in kaijus

I remember someone on Veeky Forums once came up with show style yu-gi-oh where they had two people trying to come up with crazier and crazier explanations for how their cards can interact with each other, similar to the show's logic (think catapult turtle firing another creature into the flotation ring of the castle, despite it being a magic card, and catapult turtle only being able to hit face normally anyway) with a judge (or three) who decides what is and is not able to happen, should the need arise.

I always thought that sounded fun.

>immune to spells, traps, and can't be targeted by effects
Let's be real, this is all cards now.

Fair, but usually in those cases you can at least find a way to overpower them. It felt like in this case, since I didn't order kaijus, I had nothing to deal with it. Just annoying to have a case where even if I could use every card I had at my disposal, I literally didn't possess something that could deal with it.

Either way works, I just made a very rough suggestion.

As long as it stops before Syncho and XYZ, I think that's key.

Yu-Gi-Oh meets DnD meets Calvinball.

I'm game.

A classic format, especially something rotating, would be great. Not that we'd get it. Too many normies playing the game these days loving their excessive special summons.

At least you kept this nostalgiafaggotry away from the weeb TCG thread

GOAT format plays with rules and banlists from March, 2005. Its pretty popular and isnt a mess, the drawback is having too many samey chaos decks.

There is a genarations format it just fucking sucks.
yugioh-card.com/en/events/generationduel.html

Do people play these??

Considering how Konami is already making a shitton of money and YGO is the biggest game by far, there's probably no need to. It's still shitty, though.
It's funny how YGO if all things is the ultimate example of "Just because nobody talks about it on Veeky Forums doesn't mean it's dead"

Why would they? With the retarded banlists all the older formats have they cant compete with the standard meta. The only thing I've seen work was an exodia ftk deck and thats no fun for anyone.

I thought it basically allowed all monsters from a certain period + all normal monsters

Thats good, right?

Just look at the fucking ban list for og yugioh. You have about 40 monsters to choose from.

Tf does all other effect monsters mean?
Every effect monster except those who're limited?

>tfw all the great cards and playable archetypes have shitty art or are overdesigned
>tfw you can't even make a playable deck without playing an archetype anyway

Exactly. I think its meant to reflect the meta at the time, but the end result is only being able to use the cancer ftk decks that defined the era. Basically using anything but current meta is gimping yourself for no reason which makes the whole format pointless.

You can play a deck that's a mixture of more than just one archetype. Dark Synchro is basically just a Synchro Good Stuff deck. You can play Dinosaurs, which is all about Dinosaur type monsters. I'm currently playing World Chalice, which is a archetype but I have a shitton of other non-archetype engines in the deck as well.

You can’t even enter in the codes from the physical cards to get them in the game, aka the best part of Dark Duel Stories.

Goodstuff is still viable?

For casual play it is. The deck took a big hit when Gofu got limited. It'll be better once we get the Crystron link monster. You could also look into Plant synchro/link if you wanna play a good stuff deck.

>That time when you classificated for your country's tournament with Dark Paladin, Jinzo and Envoy of the Begining in the field as last move
I remember that fondly.

>Synchro - Basic Addition
>XYZ - Knowing that a number is the same as another number
WOW SO HARD

My biggest problem with this game is that the meta is constantly changing, so in order to have a halfway competitive deck you have to completely change it once every trimester or so.

best formats were goat, teledad, plant synch, and hat. There hasn't been a good format in 5 years...

Ignister doesn't target, idiot

>a monster immune to spells, traps, and can't be targeted by effects while having 5000 ATK
There's no such monster iirc, unless the ATK was boosted

he's probably thinking of pic related

either that or CHAOS MAX DRAGON

>
>>a monster immune to spells, traps, and can't be targeted by effects while having 5000 ATK
>There's no such monster iirc, unless the ATK was boosted

Did you play yugioh ?

The only 5000 ATK monster who CAN be immune to effects is Dystopia, and it's shit anyway so no one plays it.

>yugioh Calvinball

Im in

I just hate the power creep more than anything; the continual addition of gimmicks wears thin, especially with each superseding the last. Also, I don't like how ritual monsters have only just recently seen support and that was indirect. I think the addition of synchro summoning was fine and just added variety without distracting too heavily from previous playing styles but everything else since then has just put me off returning to the game. I'm more lenient towards xyz monsters than later monster types, despite being equally a part of the power creep IMO, due to personal preference.

Oh yes, the good old days of triple staple spells for maximum degeneracy while your monsters don't matter at all, I think I'd rather relive HAT format than that.

Every time Rituals are good no one has fun, see Nekroz format.

What do you mean by "Classic Format"?
"No card printed after X date"
"No Extra Deck"
"Only Fusions in the Extra Deck"
What do you want?

"Classic" is almost universally considered to be End of GX and earlier, before the first Master Rule came into effect

I love Arc V era nugioh, but people shouldn't ve such tryhards, it makes the game unfun
when handtraps like ghost ogre are considered not just fair but necessary you know the scene's broken

Sounds like a boss monster for Kuriboh

Okay, so the answer is how does that make Konami money? Because if it doesn't make Konami money to support a format like that, there's no reason for them to make it.

I liked it as a kid.

It's fucking shit now.

power creep ftw

Seeing this card makes me sad Scapegoat got erratad.

they essentially already are with dual links, that's the only way they can make money off of the nostalgia pandering
I don't like it though, if you want to experience classic yugioh play World Championship 2008 for the Nintendo Ds
sadly doesn't work like that anyway, it need to "send them to the graveyard", but tokens don't get sent to the gy in YGO so they're useless to summon him

normie who liked the game as a kid here
that's cause the game was turned in to bloatware, the card art isn't something to be proud of anymore, and there's just a stupid amount of sets and maybe 4 of them matter. Why bother playing the same 8 or so matchups again and again until they release more cards?

I'm glad you prefaced this so people knew you have no idea what you're talking about.

>piercing damage
>ygo is starting to use keywords
This is a good thing.

I always liked Yu-Gi-Oh vidyas. Which is the best one?

Sooo, my question is why haven't they gone the way of any sensible TCG and just limit sets in tournament play. They keep power creeping because they have to out do the last set instead of making it unplayable legally so they can do fun shit without this awful power creep that's going to be 4000 4 star monsters.

Because for some reason YuGiOh players hate the idea of set rotation.

No, for three reasons.

First, the target audience consists of people who do not play TCGs anymore. Yugioh genwunners aren't playing Magic now, they're doing normalfag shit. It was a fad. It would flop.

Second, even if there is a subset of people who would buy into it, nine times out of then they would hate it. Their idea of classic Yugioh is shit like Summoned Skull beatdown, which was never viable. Goat format is more cancerous than modern Yugioh, which they hate.

Third, the players who are already playing Yugioh realize the game used to be shit and is better now. No one would pay money for an inferior version of a game they've already bought into.

Only shit like Duel Links ropes in nostalgiafags, because it's not even a TCG. It's a mobage.

Nah, YGO doesn't power creep through numbers, it power creeps through effects. Just wait 5 years and we'll have boss monsters that special summon themselves if they leave the field for any reason.

>would there even be a raeson for people like Yugioh in the first place?

There's the mobile game, Duel Links. It's a massively simplified version of Yugioh, no Synchros, no XYZs, no Pendulums and no Links. 4000 life points, 3 monster and magic zones, and a reduced starting hand size. If you're looking for a less complicated and more relaxed version of Yugioh to play, this would be it.

The most recent "proper" game is Legacy of the Duelist. It was released in 2015, so it has all the summoning mechanics up to Pendulum. It also features the ability to play through the stories of the original Duel Monsters, GX, 5D's, and Zexal. You get a basic text cutscene with the characters involved setting up why a duel is about to happen, and then you take the place of the canonical winner of that duel in the match using decks based on the ones used in the anime. Once you beat a campaign duel, you also unlock a Reverse version of that duel where you can play as the original duel's loser. Of course, you can also build your own decks to use in the campaign modes, and as you progress you'll unlock special higher-difficulty challenge duels which you can play for funsies.

Just be aware Legacy of the Duelist has some of the worst DLC. It's literally just different decks and challenge duels, and they don't give you anywhere near enough for the price considering the original game's like 20 bucks.

I dunno, when Konami limited Set Rotation last list, there was a pretty mixed reaction.

Emulate Tag Force or one of the DS games.

Ygopro

My LGS has a YGH night once per week and it's infested with 16-18 year olds with attitude problems who argue about how cards work constantly.

I have four friends who play TCGs. We all play both YGO and MtG. Four of us (myself included) prefer YGO. One prefers MtG. The only one who's not in a stable relationship, and the only one who still lives with his parents, is the one who prefers MtG.

They did it already, and there's Duel Links. Not much interest in the Classic Format, DL is a success among newbies.

Also that pic is bs, compare Z-Arc to something like CED or Yata-Garasu.

>Also that pic is bs, compare Z-Arc to something like CED or Yata-Garasu.
In Magic terms, OP's image would be comparing Serra Angel to Nicol Bolas, the God-Pharaoh.

Buster Blader wasn't played in competitive decks when he came out tho, my comparison still stands. Maybe TER on the left.

Yeah. I couldn't really think of an iconic Magic card that's simple, nostalgic, and was never competitive. Then again, Z-Arc is rarely ever used, even in his own deck.

Z-Arc isn't used competitively either, maybe as a meme tech in Pendulum Magicians at best (which isn't a Tier 1 deck).
Right side should be Ash Blossom or Double Helix.

Ash Blossom would fit better probably, DH seems simple enough to not look busted by himself.

The whole point of the image, I think, is less to say "Look how powercreep YGO has gotten!" and more "Old YGO was simple! New YGO is just a giant wall of text! This literal final boss monster is indicative of how all modern YGO cards are designed!"