EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Nuke 'Em From Orbit Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What is your favorite boardwipe and why? Stories of post-nuke triumph encouraged!

Other urls found in this thread:

edhrec.com/commanders/chromanticore-enchantments-theme
edhrec.com/commanders/genju-of-the-realm-enchantments-theme
mtggoldfish.com/articles/magic-the-gathering-card-sleeves-review
deckstats.net/deck-14716299-df9797c7699ef4af74644498b24d337a.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

best boardwipe coming through. Expensive as hell but the most fun

/EDHG/, it seems my sleeves have something growing on them. Does anyone know what this might be? I'm totally flummoxed as to what the appeal would be to living on the outside of a Dragon Shield.

My favorite board wipe is Oblierate.

I actually won with Barren Glory because of Oblierate.

>What is your favorite boardwipe and why?
Is there any other option? I don't think so.

Mold?

Someone went infinite in a buzzbark deck?

It's the curse of dragon shields. They all get like that eventually. As far as I can tell it's not a fungus or mold or anything, it's just dirt and muck collecting on them. Shits annoying as hell.

This can work right?

It's not technically growing. What it is is grease, fat, or oil from a finger, from a table, or from the back of another sleeve. Dirt or dust sticks to it, then more dirt, dust, or any of the aforementioned adhesives stick to that. It's just a build-up, it won't grow if left alone and can be cleaned.

Yup. You Just need to deal 5 damage. A darksteel plate would help too

Yes. Any main phase that happens after a combat is a postcombat main phase, so Neheb will trigger each time.

Already have one in the deck I have started now

It's not mold, I have heard it referred to as gamer gunk before. It's just dirt, dead skin , oils, your best friends jizz, etc.

Dragonshields are pretty notorious for accumulating it, but I think that's just because they last long enough to get it. I would just get new sleeves, it's not worth the effort to try and clean them all off.

Best boardwipe. You need to clean up the board? Six mana for a boardwipe is still playable. You're ahead on board? Fuck everyone else, play the Armageddon mode and win.

Give me Enchantment deck tech, hotter the better

Colors?

Serras realm
Nykthos, shrine to nyx
thank me later for all the wins ;^)

daxos the returned can be sweet, just play conviction :)

I know my buddy in my playgroup is doing a Sram aura deck

Aura of Silence

Yes
Do you mean Serra's Sanctum?
Not looking at Daxos. We're going to 5 colors.
Already got it.

Also flickering ward is almost always better, just name a color you don't care about.

How do I git gud at EDH? My decks always manage to deliver at least one OHKO / disrupt someone's game enough for them to scoop / never recover but I never managed to win a game in the past 8 / 9 months (how long I've been playing EDH)

What's your commander? Is your playgroup willing to let you houserule Chromanticore or Genju of the Realm?

These will probably get the most obvious cards out of the way:
>edhrec.com/commanders/chromanticore-enchantments-theme
>edhrec.com/commanders/genju-of-the-realm-enchantments-theme

Fun and synergistic but my particular build feels like it's lacking a little oomf, it's not consistent enough.

That and (surprising nobody) flying is pretty damn common in EDH so you'll need to build in ways to deal with it.

I feel like there are better options for a token deck, but this one works well enough.

Starfield of Nyx
Anointed Procession/Parallel Lives/Doubling Season
Something to create a token copy of whichever of those three you have out
POPULATE

>1 Anointed Procession
>Token copy to 3 Anointed Procession
>Populate to 11 Anointed Procession
>Populate to 2,059 Anointed Procession
>Populate
>Populate
>Populate

Ain't there an enchantment that populates?
Also, I'd suggest trying to duplicate starfield first so they have to sink to removal spells to get rid of it

A lot of that comes down to the kind of deck you're playing and the win-cons you're running. OHKOing just one person is fine if its a trick you can recur it or its pretty durable, otherwise it sounds like you're stilling playing with a 1v1 mindset and deckplan. Your story is reminding me of a guy's Kresh deck that makes a huge general, has pretty good removal, but can't keep it's wincon around long enough to kill the table and usually just kills one person.

There's also almost certainly ways to make your decks better in general, so post lists if you want general critiques.

You're probably trying to win through conventional means like bashing people with powerful cost-efficient creatures.

The easiest way to win in EDH is to go nuclear. Either an instant-win combo, or ramping so hard with so many sources of card advantage you overwhelm the entire table with value even as they all team up against you.

If those sound boring to you, try prison strategies. Daretti is one of my all-time favorites. No one can disrupt you when you Jokulhaups every turn.

I've sat here with 100gbp store credit for weeks and have no fucking clue what decks I want to build and what to play

Is norin (+warp world, scrambleverse, thieves' auction etc) a fun meme deck to play against?

>is chaos fun to play against
no

Red chaos is control magic and nobody likes to play against winconless control. If you can win with it go nuts but i doubt your deck can build up to anything.

>playing blue

>not playing blue
checkmate

Has anyone tries the Explorers of Ixalan?
I'm curious if it's specifically made for the included decks, or if custom decks and commander decks would work with it as well. Seems like a fun way to change things up a little.

EXL works with any deck. It just gives you effects that are flavorful to the plane.

honden cycle from kamigawa

What's your pet deck that you'd like to pimp out?

Don't make a combo the relies on the combat step.

>"I'll swing at this open player and do x damage"
>"Cool, I concede before damage"

>>"I'll swing at this open player and do x damage"
>>"Cool, I concede before damage"
Dick move. Legal RAW, but a dick move.

>What is your favorite boardwipe and why? Stories of post-nuke triumph encouraged!
honestly....the fact that you can wipe the reanimate a bunch of broken creatures for four mana makes this easily the stupidest board wipe in edh. nothing else cleans up your opponents boards while also giving you a board. sure it's "symmetrical" by design...but in effect it rarely is.

Most playgroups have an answer to this problem. If somebody scoops to avoid combat damage your scoop is nullified because you were dead anyways.

i forgot to mention. the fact that this gets around indestructibility and regeneration...insane.

>four mana
I agree with you in general but you should probably look at the cmc again

i have a jet medallion in play

Holy shit i sensed the medallion. Are medallions the most undervalued edh staple?

I don't really like them, I think they only really are better than a talisman in mono-colored decks with low artifact counts (which isn't a lot of mono-colored decks).

they're only useful on monocolored decks, si not really.

they are pretty legit. i'm not really sure how other people feel about them, but they can easily save you a dozen mana over the course of a game. they might generate more value than most 2cmc mana rocks if your deck is 1 or 2 colors. maybe i should be running them in boros...

the key cards you need to run are Pentarch Paladin, Mother of Runes, Glare of Heresy, Circle of Protection: White and Story Circle (also consider Rune of Protection: White for redundancy and the fact it has cycling) and then you can run it however you want. I went with whitestuff.dec as Voltron is a brainlet strategy even if it probably is a more effective use for Eight-and-a-Half

>doesnt play medallions in 2c decks

My medallions usually earn me 10+ mana and usually allow me to combo off. I love them and own the whole cycle

>plays medallions instead of actually good rocks on 2c.

Also I tend to play only 3+ colour decks, so no medallions for me.

I play good rocks and medallions, turns out when they kill your sol ring, felwar stone and manacrypt you get to keep your ruby medallion usuallly. Also daretti/trash for treasure are better when they cost 1 less and have a rock to work on.

I know that the answer is because Grixis is reserved for Bolas, but to me it still seems weird that Esper is the "main" artifacts matter wedge and not Grixis. Red cares about artifacts a lot more than white.

*red cares more about artifact destruction
ftfy

I've just made 2 themed 100 cards deck for Crossbreed Lbs and League of Dastardly doom, to make sure I could have a really thematic deck I allowed myself to put 2 copies of every uncommon and 4 copies of every common, I'm playtesting them tomorrow and I really hope they are decently balanced, I think the host-augment one will stomp the baddies but I'll reserve my judgement for after some playtesting.

Are there any Forests that go with the Chippy Esper Islands?

Grixis colorwise artiface, esper is the artifact wedge because they needed grixis to be the reanimator zombie tricks shard that are also prevelant in grixis's potential identity. White does artiface so it was fine to make esper the artifact shard. The only weird thing to me is that the jeskai didnt have any artifacts and instead had enchantmemts.

> I allowed myself to put 2 copies of every uncommon and 4 copies of every common

That's why we have things like scrap mastery, goblin welder, daretti, slobad, trash for treasure, kurkesh, and a shitton of other artifact matters cards in red, right?

>forests
>esper
Are you fucking retarded m8
Nice dubs tho

I think he means Esper as in the location in the artwork, not the colour shard.

Maybe Mirrodin forests?

yes

>mfw im taking the bait and cant resist
(You)

>Esper as in the location
>Forests

Except for Kurkesh, all the others wants to send artifacts to the grave.

Also, white is literally the equipments color. If anything, black cares less about artifacts of the three.

Buddy i hate to tell you this but all the green alara lands are on bant or jund and you literally will need to wait for return to alara to have a chance to see forests that match espers aesthetic.

Are you retarded? He wants forests that looks good together with the esper islands. Like harmonizing cheese and wine.

>mfw my Foil Unstable swamp I ordered arrived

I was identifying the specific Island, it was the Esper variant of the Shards of Alara Islands.Sorry if it was vague. I meant the place Esper, not color trio Esper.

I like Chippy, but I don't have a literal esper colored deck at the moment, so I wanted to use those islands in a simic deck for the time being,

I like one of the New Phyrexia forests, it feels engineered, but I may as well get one of the Return to Ravnica forests that I hope is supposed to look Simic. Only the first Ravnica set had their basics explicitly identified as to which guild they correspond to, with those MPS foils.

I wanted to make decks completely from Unstable cards beacuse that is what I have available (I only recently got back into magic with this set and a commander preconstructed)
It's not like I'm gonna use them at my local game store, I'm just building them for fun and will bring them out when a friend wants to try out the set.

>I made a deck that's not commander legal, now what?
>I know, post in the commander thread about it!

If the aesthetic you're going for is "Nature with an imposed orderly arrangement", Kaladesh might be the style.

Are you retarded? He wasn't clear with the question and there's absolutely no forest that matches up with that gridwork design of the island.
Like, harmonize yourself with a grave plot.

it's not relevant to any other general and commander started as an house rules format so excuse me if I tought this would be something you guys would be able to give some advice for.
The cards are literally legal for commander and the only reason I'm allowing myself that modification to the deckbuilding rules is because there is not enough cards to make a thematic EDH deck with only Unstable cards

>there's absolutely no forest that matches up with that gridwork design of the island.

Not that user, but I don't think that really does go well with it.

It's not relevant to commander either.

It's cool, I allow myself to play banned cards and also run non-partner commanders as partners for thematic reasons.

Planeswalkers are an abomination.

Except Garruk, he's cool, even if he's kinda edgy.

gg man

He's cool because he's edgy.

anyone have experience with brick sleeves? recently used them with a new deck for the shuffle feel, but then heard they split every other game.

Do I get enlightened tutor or bear umbra for sigarda equipment?

Hey guys, I have a question. Say one opponent is attacking another with a 5/5 double strike lifelink creature.

Say the target of the attack has only 5 life.

Does the attacking player gain 10 life from his attack or does the opponent die after first strike damage?

>mtggoldfish.com/articles/magic-the-gathering-card-sleeves-review

According to this, the best selling point the Legion sleeves have is neat designs and you're not even getting the ones with designs on them.

If whatever is being fought dies in 1st strike there is main strike because the thing theyre killing is already dead. Doesnt matter if its a creature planeswalker or player.

The opponent will die after the First Strike combat damage step. If state-based actions weren't checked in between combat damage steps, First Strike wouldn't actually accomplish anything.

Isn't* holy shit

So I build Queen Marchesa recently, switching from Alesha. Meta/Playgroup is High powered casual, not too competitive but no strat is frowned upon, and generally people have high budget decks.

Any recomendations, spicy tech, critiques? Not exactly budgetless but I generaly can afford expensive cards.

Oops, forgot to link decklist:

deckstats.net/deck-14716299-df9797c7699ef4af74644498b24d337a.html

Hell, I don't even play a medallion in my Feldon deck. It's monored but I have such a density of colorless things that it's basically just better to have another mana rock.

Oh, a part of me loves doing this.

>Guy ended up with ten spawnwrithes
>Swings at me with him
>"You sure?"
>"Yep."
>"Okay, in response to declaring blockers I scoop."
>"You son of a bitch!"
>Now is tapped out with no blockers.
>Tables face as they murder him next turn

Its mean and a huge dick move but god is it fun.

See, that's what I thought, but I had a friend arguing that "all combat damage happens at the same time" when I told him he didn't gain as much life as he thought.

This friend, btw, who has been playing since the 90s and who is constantly wrong about rules.

>Planeswalkers are an abomination.
Go back to bed, Yawgmoth.

I don't know what your average CMC is because you chose not to post a tappedout listyou fucking monster, but your land count seems low. 33 lands +7 rocks in a stax deck where you may lose some lands, and then you're still play plentiful 5 and 6 drops...that's sketching me out a bit. I know the plan is to stay monarch, but if someone takes it, you might not draw out enough mana in time to cast your impactful cards.

It's also hard to tell because you posted from some awful site where I have to fucking click every card I want look at but it seems like you only have 3 pieces of artifact/enchantment removal? That makes me a bit uncomfortable, as I find myself wanting for such things when I have under 5. You run more tutors than me admittedly, but perhaps a vindicate or mortify or even unexpectedly absent might still not be out of place.

Thats like saying every spell on the stack resolves simultaniously just because they were all on the same stack. Get him the first strike rules from the rulebook. Its part 702.7b specifically and it notes how to do first/doublestrike. If you read that to them and they cant deal with it you just shouldnt play with them because they are too stupid to understand the rulez or are a cheater.