Mythras/RuneQuest General (/mg/ /mrg/ /rqg/)

What homebrew rules do you use in your games?

>What is Myhtras?
Myhtras is the rebranding of RuneQuest. Which is a D100 based fantasy role-playing game. If you are interested and new to the system you should check out the "Mythras Imperative" which is the light version of Mythras;

>Mythras Imperative
thedesignmechanism.com/resources/TDM110 Mythras Imperative.pdf

>Mythras Resources (Includes RuneQuest Resources, which can be used for Myhtras)
pastebin.com/deiCwpgU

>Mythras Encounter Generator
skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/

>Incomplete Wiki Article
1d4chan.org/wiki/RuneQuest

>generalpastebin
pastebin.com/VJ3CxgVh

Other urls found in this thread:

chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-20/
chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-13/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What homebrew rules do you use in your games?

I have been playing around with additional perks for skills. Starting at 51% you receive a benefit for each additional 25% in that skill. For example a Resilience of 51% will move your characters hit point up by one step. A Reflexes of 76% will grant you two extra move or defense actions. A combat style of 101% will move the weapon die damage up three steps. So a knife (1D4) now inflicts 1D10 damage.

I like generating stats with and extra die and dropping the lowest, but I like to give the characters a bit more oomph in my games.

What's with that newer version of RuneQuest that was going to come out? I never bothered to check up on it.

The Chaosium version?

There's a starter version for free out there. It's mechanically much closer to 2e, with a Resistance Table rather than opposed rolls. Also, new narrative rules in the form of the Runes that denote a character's inclinations. Very similar to the system from Pendragon.

Other than a pretty neat durability system, I'm not a huge fan. I'm probably going to stick to Mythras.

I believe so. There was something about a return of the IP to the original authors?

I streamlined combat a bit, because I found that with multiple participants it gets slowed down very quickly. The most relevant changed are that on your turn you decide how to use all your action points - better not use all of them attacking, else you won't get to defend. Also special effects are decided before attacking, and should you get to choose two, you just add the second one after the roll.

May not seem much, but it helps especially with players that are irl slow to react, roll and decide. Or has helped with my group, at least.

I thought you meant this one. Didn't realize they were working on another. RuneQuest Classic has only been out a few years. Was it just a money grab?

So bros, even when the game is good, it's TOO good for generating too much controversy and thus keep the thread alive. So what other ways do you think would be good to get a conversation there, bump the thread and have fun?

Maybe what you have planned, or currently working on?

I used the Godunya religion to use a sorcery spell to create a familiar without being a sorcerer and fucking up a whole lot of rules in the process.

I don't care because my GM let me do it and now I have a bird-buddy.

Kralorea is a magical place.

Has anyone also played GURPS (that's what I'm playing now)? What are the main differences in terms of the games it's good at running? I bought the mythras core rule book yesterday.

They're definitely both toolboxes, but Mythras out of the box has a strong Sword and Sorcery focus. You need the other books to do other things while GURPS is more general from the outset.

Yep, I've been trying to kickstart this general for a few weeks now but this seems to be the general problem. Everyone playing the game is enjoying themselves too much to come here and bitch about it. So we can't keep a general thread alive even though there seems to be interest in it.

I love the firearms rules they have for Mythras, so I frequently include them when I can.

The Resistance Table is a better mechanic than opposed rolls!

There. Bitch away.

But they're almost exactly equivalent in terms of probabilities
Opposed rolls just use skills instead of characteristics, are more granular, and don't require you to reference a table during play

>But they're almost exactly equivalent in terms of probabilities
Demonstrably wrong.

So this is the successor to that one bronze age roleplaying game?

I don't see you demonstrating anything

10 vs 10 on the RT is a 50/50 chance.
10 vs 10 with opposed rolls is a miniscule chance of success.
50 vs 50 with opposed rolls is a 25% chance of success.

10 vs 20 on the RT is an automatic success for the 20.
10 vs 20 with opposed rolls is still a miniscule chance.
50 vs 100 with opposed rolls is a 75% chance.

And I'm too lazy and too bad with maths to factor in success levels and blackjacks.

Despite any mathematic benefits the Resistance Table has, the benefits of being able to resolve rolls without looking up a table make opposed rolls better for actual play at a tabletop. If you were to base a game on BRP, or you had an online gaming tool, it's the better system. Also, if you have years of experience in the table, it's probably just as fast if not faster than opposed rolls.

But for new players, it looks and feels better and less antiquated, and it also more intuitively allows different degrees of success.

I'll fight you over your different yet still respectable opinion, you fuck!

Taking success levels into account
>50 vs 50
= 50% chance [matches resistance table]
>75 vs 50
= 65.5% chance [close enough?]
>100 vs 50
= 83% chance [does not match resistance table]
Ok they're not almost exactly equivalent, I cede the point. Opposed rolls are close enough though and far easier to use

I haven't played any of the older editions, but have skill numbers changed to accomidate the opposed rolls? 10 v 10 works when you're talking about characteristics, but a skill of 10 is a bumbling incompetent. It's pretty unfair to compare something like 10 v 10 or 20 v 10 since what those numbers mean is so different.

Yeah, I'm multiplying the characteristic values on the resistance table by 5 to get the skill value.

>Taking success levels into account
>50 vs 50
>= 50% chance [matches resistance table]

I'll freely admit to being mathematically challenged, but I'd still really like to see your reasoning behind that result.

More or less, its a system agnostic one tough it can be adopted to Glorantha with ease.

Since both skill values are the same, they don't really factor into it. It's just a coin flip with strange rules.
Let's say you know what you roll, but you don't know what your opponent rolls. So if you get a critical, with a 5% chance, we know your opponent may also have gotten a critical. The chance that he got a critical is 5%, same as you. So if he also got a critical, we flip a coin to see who rolled higher within the range, which gives him a (0.05)(0.5) = 25% chance of him also rolling a critical (0.05) AND rolling higher than you (0.5).
This logic holds for the rest of the success levels too, because all the bands are the same. It gets a little more complicated when the skill levels are different. Also, this only works if it's not a requirement that the attacker succeeds his roll. That's not the case with some actions, but it works for most uses of opposed rolls.

2.5% chance, not 25%

If we disregard whatever your oppoent rolls, you're still left with a 50/50 on whether you succeed at all or not. When one of those 50's will be directly impacted by the opposed roll, it doesn't add up. Logically.

>Also, this only works if it's not a requirement that the attacker succeeds his roll. That's not the case with some actions, but it works for most uses of opposed rolls.

So..it's not a 50% chance of success then?

Don't be a pedant, it's a 50% chance of a positive outcome. Say you're in a footrace - your opponent fails with a 55, you fail with a 60. You catch up to him because it was an opposed roll. You're both winded because you each failed the athletics check, but you caught up to him and there was a 50% chance of that happening before any dice were rolled.

Hey, I'm not the one wanting things to bitch about.
If you want to continue, I can tell you the story about the pit trap that had a 50% chance of failing to be a hole in the ground. Logically.

Please do.

According to Mythras RAW, who won?

The one who rolled a 60 won. They both failed (a tie), so the one who rolled higher wins.

If the trap has an attack of 50, it will only successfully attack (ie be an obstructing hole in the ground) half of the time.

So the one with the highest margin of failure is the winner? How, exactly, does that make sense? If the skill levels were 45 and 20 and the rolls the same, the 20 would win?

>If the trap has an attack of 50, it will only successfully attack (ie be an obstructing hole in the ground) half of the time.
Or it's just very visible and easily avoided. A trap with an attack of 50 was set by a barely-competent individual.
>So the one with the highest margin of failure is the winner? How, exactly, does that make sense? If the skill levels were 45 and 20 and the rolls the same, the 20 would win?
Easy, let's look at criticals. We've got an opposed roll between person A with a skill of 10, and person B with a skill of 100. A rolls 1, B rolls 10. That's a critical for both of them - a tie.
A critical roll of 1 is something anybody can achieve. A critical roll of 10 is something that only a master can achieve, and then only under good circumstances. It makes sense that the master technique beats the basic technique. So the higher roll wins in the case of a tie.

A skill level of 50, which sets the attack of the trap, indicates a trained professional, just below expert.

First of all, we assumed using the same rolls - 55 and 60. Secondly, you're quoting RAW here - when both succeed with the same level of success, the highest roll wins. I asked about what happens when both fail, yet one of them has to break the finish line first. Your interpretation (which is what it is, as the the RAW simply doesn't adress it) will penalize the highest skill.
The same can be asked about our hapless, dimension-shifting pit trap - if the trap rolls 55 (on an attack of 50) and you roll a Perception of 60 (on a skill of 50), what happens?

Fuck, you're right. Two failures are a stalemate. I've been running that wrong for eight fucking years.
I don't know the answer to that last example RAW, then. I don't know how you get a stalemate on a binary question like 'do I see the trap before I fall into it.'

I'll make it easy for you. There is no answer as per RAW.
That also means that while you may not have been running it right for eight fucking years, you haven't been doing it wrong either.

Oh, I'm certainly going to keep running it the way I have been. The whole point of opposed rolls for me is to ask a binary question and get a straight answer. I'd hate to lose that tool. If I want to deal with stalemates I'll use differential rolls, and if I want to roll multiple times I'll use a series of sorting rolls or an extended task.
I don't know. What do we bitch about now?

What is even happening here? Opposed rolls that both fail means the whole thing is a failure, neither party gets what they want.

Even for differential rolls there's a stalemate if everyone fails.

RAW is literally the pic.

He's running it right since he doesn't want to reroll.

Read the thread bro

Yes, you're right. The rule is to reroll the contest.
Which is a rather crap way of doing it. I prefer to give the win to the highest skill.

Nah, more like a lot of grogs wanted a reprint of it.

Maybe this will help with Mythras; listing all the resolution mechanics from the book because they all have their uses.

>Opposed roll
Skill versus skill, the best result wins the contest (crit > success > failure > fumble). A tie of successes goes to the highest roll, while ties that are failures don't have the same requirement and it's up to GMs to allow rerolls or use a different method to determine a winner.

>Differential roll
Like opposed rolls, but includes advantages granted by degrees of success. In this case, if both are successful you don't have the highest success win the contest. This is the combat roll.

>Team roll
The best or worst skill value is rolled for the group, based on if success or failure hinges on the sum of efforts or the weakest link. Searching for clues together would use the best skill value, while stealthy movement would use the worst in the team.

>Sorting roll
A single roll by the GM is compared to the skill value of each individual in a group, with success determined individually. This is more intended to speed things along for a group having the same experience.

>Proportional skill success
This is just a thumb in the air for the GM using a skill value to adjudicate a situation without a roll.

>Task resolution
The skill is rolled multiple times, each result accumulating towards a total result over a period of time. Listed for crafting, but suggested for any other task as well.

Didn't they also reprint 2e on top of the new edition?

>What do we bitch about now
Why does a pollax do as less damage than a club?

Which edition does that?

In Mythras it's 1d6 for a club and 1d8+2 with a poleaxe.

Sorry, should have said 2h club, which does 2d6.
While the big bashers, like tetsubos and the like, are scary, I'd rather take a hit from one of them than a pollax if I really had to.

The greatclub doesn't do that much more damage, and the poleaxe's special effects make it a way better weapon. If I had to make one change to the poleaxe I'd give it bleed before increasing its damage.

Yeah, I'm reaching. I can't really bitch about this.

I think Mythras' magic systems are too powerful for most campaigns, and Runequest 3 had a more reasonable level of magical power.

I think theists have the potential to be ridiculously powerful. Sure, they have their drawbacks, but when they can just snap their fingers and crumple your character sheet the drawbacks aren't all that.
Sorcery and animism require a lot more effort.

I mean we can try to bitch about our tastes? I'll start;

What is the best way of gathering Magic Points? And why it is sacrifice?

>And why it is sacrifice?

Bitching about the validity of this opinion would be dishonest.

In the setting I used for RuneQuest, there were centers of power and the closer you were to them the quicker magic points were restored. So venturing in to the nothingness between civilizations meant being very careful.

I've played with the idea of using the old Shadow World-setting for RoleMaster. In addition of going balls out on pretty much everything, it had Essence Flows - rivers of raw magic that could allow a mage to draw on power or fuck him and all his companions up something fierce.

It's coming in Q2 2018 (although they originally went for a release this month). It's called Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha and it has at least 3 books iirc (Core, GM, Bestiary) and a "GM Screen & Pack" planned.

Runequest Classic is the reprint of 2e. It was kickstarted in 2015 to check if they could make the 50+ year old grognard crowd shell dough for nostalgia's sake and use it as market research. The kickstarter was a success and they decided that RQ Glorantha (the new one that's still not out) would be based on RQ2 rules instead of Mythras/RQ6 rules.

Source:
Newest
chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-20/

Original announcement
chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-13/

Interestingly, v2.4 of Chaosium's reasoning behind cockblocking TDM and RQ6 was that they wanted a new RQ in a single, midsized volume.

Which is a pretty weak argument of them, i think. After all they're splitting their game into 3 books to get all the content in. Mythras's rules could have been changed according to Glorantha and split between 3 books easily.

That's probably why they changed their reasoning so often. v3 was, if I remember correctly, that TDM failed to uphold the contract of the license.
By v5 it was basicly "because".

I'm just pissed that not one of the 50 people who purchased the preview version bothered to scan and upload it after the news dropped.

Possibly because Pete would be liable to come after you with an actual sword if you did.

I'd like to see him find me!

Yeah, Chaosium hasn't really come off looking too good in this one.

There's a new preview version? What's in it?

Wasn’t it supposed to be released a while ago?

No, this was back in 2015. Design Mechanism sold 50 copies of their Mythras Glorantha supplement at a convention immediately before it was scrapped.

God damn it. The thing I want most in the world.

I'm more about Spirit hunting myself, tough sacrifice of animals or your enemies its ever cool.

Btw, do you guys allow natural magic point regenerating? When I'm DM (a rare things those days sadly) I usually let them regenerate one or two (if they have very high PoW) point per day, with mana potions, spirit hunting/pacts, meditating in sacred places or sacrifice being other ways to gather them.

Posting some art than could be use for Mythic/Runequest derived settings.

I find the LoTR blends itself easy with BRP derived games, the One Ring is good but when I want a more "gritty" style I ever do it with BRP with some merp inspiration.

That's pretty true. The races feel more natural to Middle Earth, and even with the greatest heroes of an era it can be emulated with >100 skills - at least in Mythras.

For all the fantasy elements, Middle earth its pretty gritty as a whole. I really love the lore and feeling of the one ring because it captures LoTR and the hobbit well (better than the other LoTR rpgs). shame I can't stand the mechanics desu.

It's a shame that the BRP Middle Earth-project fizzled out. The thing looked gorgeous.

It works well when I used Mythras (then RQ6) for Star Wars with that fan made supplement for the same reasons. The setting is lethal even if the MCs of the fiction always live, and my players suggested switching to Edge of the Empire which I liked at first and then hated. We went from using mining equipment to crush force using fungal horrors as one player lept onto its face and kept it occupied to “ok, now I shoot them using a maneuver to aim and blah blah.” Probably my favorite series of events in d100 was when they fought a pair of mandos starting from a failed bombing, playing cat and mouse in the city, and then surviving a repeating blaster bullet hell in a bank before cutting their heads off and stealing their gear.

I was so salty when the stupid narrative dice actually did their fucking job and actually ended the campaign on just about the perfect note after 6 months of bullshit. Now they love the stupid system.

One of the RuneQuest sourcebooks had a section on how to create cities if I remember right? Any idea which one it was?

I know there was a RQ Cities for 3e? MRQ had Empires, but no cities in there.

Isn't like it's diffucult to port the monters to BRP or anything, why did it die?

I think the guy doing all the work up and quit.

those of you who aren't doing random attributes, what form of point buy do you use? the default in the book (1pt = 1 attribute pt) seems to encourage serious min-maxing

This one?

Probably. He had umpteen files on that, with artwork and everything.

There are some character sheets for Lunar Magicians floating round. If this thread still up in 5 hours i’ll Post them.

That would be awesome.

Can we keep this thread alive for 5 hours, that is the question.

Tragically they are in Spanish, but good Castilian Spanish.