Female Skaven?

So, we all know that around 6th edition, female Skaven were stated as being drug-addled, dubiously sapient giant bloated baby-factories for the skaven race. But, I'm sure I read in an issue of White Dwarf that in older lore, female Skaven were sapient - they were just treated as sex-slaves, kept segregated in their own personal segment of the nest and forced to do nothing but "entertain" the clan's high ranked skaven and rear litter after litter of brats. They were less common than normal skaven, but the difference was exaggerated by the bitter infertile females kept around as midwives having a tendency to kill female pups through neglect & cruelty.

Am I nuts, or did this really exist? I know it's not in White Dwarf #119, the race's first appearance in Warhammer, but can anyone help me track its origins down? I know it was in an old-school White Dwarf - somewhen in the 120s+ count, I think.

Other urls found in this thread:

img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1394/82/1394825147818.pdf
youtu.be/LbaxfuknZWE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It’s entirely possible to to GW’s highly inconsistent fluff writing.

For what it's worth, I do know the following from my attempts to look this up in my own collection:

* The Skaven Screaming Bell first showed up in White Dwarf #165, "the first in a brand new series of releases for the Skaven Army".
* White Dwarf #168 has the Origins of the Skaven (the same "cursed tower" myth we still use today), a clean ink & color map of the Skaven Under-Empire, and The History of the Skaven.
* White Dwarf #169 has stats for Vermin Lords, Rat Ogres, Queek Headtaker and Plague Lord Skrolk.
#White Dwarf #170 has stats for Grey Seer Thanquol and Deathmaster Snikch. Gotrrek & Felix had Warhammer Roleplay stats back in #162.

Come to think of it, what editions did Skaven get army books, anyway? Wasn't Warhammer 4e their first individual army book? A Skaven daemon prince turns up in 3e's Realms of Chaos - The Lost and the Damned, but then, Orcs could serve Chaos in that edition too.

your nuts, only source for maybe female is skaven in one line in children of the horned rat which is then contradicted by the rest of the source
sorry m8 no skaven waifus

That's so cruel.

For what it's worth, I just read the skaven 4e army book, I don't know where they were described in 3e, but it just mentioned females in a throw-away line as "indolent" and "semi-intelligent".

Are Skaven prison gay? We know that they're into watersports, but how do they deal with the lack of pussy?

Heard a rumor about that in Warhammer Fantasy Batlle Roleplay it was possible for female skaven to be something beyond breeders as long they were Grey Seers.

>Are Skaven prison gay? We know that they're into watersports, but how do they deal with the lack of pussy?
You might be surprised to learn that humans are an abnormality when it comes to breeding seasons. We desire sex at pretty much any time of the year, while most mammals can only get it up at certain times under certain conditions.

But what do they do when that time comes and only important rat dudes get to fuck?

Only if they have an appearance in a book other than the 1e corebook; I own that and I can tell you that there's not a mention of female skaven in it. And this is old school lore, back when Warhammer had gnomes and half-orcs in it, so if skaven ever had non-Breeder females, it was around this time in the lore.

Oh. Good to know.

But who ate all the food?

That book is the previously mentioned children of the horned rat and as I said just a rumor. Children of v the horned rat also explicitly states "there are no skaven female only skaven breeders"

Where's this rumor of female grey seers mentioned? I'm looking at it right now, and the only similar line I've seen is an implication that not all of the females are as mindlessly drugged up as the males think:

"So cloistered away from the rest of their race are they that they do not learn their race’s chittering speech, nor are they proficient in even the simplest social skills…or so the Skaven believe." (Children of the Horned Rat, pg 71)

Also, apparently there's a Gotrek & Felix or Thanquol book where:
A: a skaven is rewarded with access to a breeder.
B: another skaven has a maimed face due to being bitten by a breeder he was mating with.

Anyone know which titles those are in?

Could have sworn there was one line that a grey furred female might maybe maybe become a grey seer theoretically if the stars align. Bit if I recall that book was also under the mistaken impression breeders were produced by clan moulder experiments after birth. Which is wrong breeders ate just born like that, like real life mole rats

Look up the rat utopia on YouTube. It had some very... interesting results.

Do we actually know that female skaven are born as rat mothers? I can't recall any other canon description of them that didn't just describe them as bloated and deformed breeding machines, so CotHR's saying it's because skaven hook them up on a lifelong drug regime as soon as possible isn't actually breaking canon from the army books as far as I know.

It's a logic thing. If it wasn't innate A clan moulder would own all skavem and there would be exceptions
Since no exceptions must be innate because clan moulder can't be everywhere for every female

There is that one scene in Thanquol's first solo novel where he meets a Grey Seer who has two breeders that he's "improved", granting them an unusual level of clarity and ferocity, so they serve as both sex-toys and cleverly disguised (and viciously effective) bodyguards, just to point out. Hmm... where did I leave my copy...

For what it's worth, CotHR says that the females are kept addled with warpstone based narcotics and hallucinogens. Clan Moulder has nothing to do with it; the clans are mixing up and doping their own breeders.

That is more than enough for Veeky Forums

So... What would happen if the females weren't doped? Shit like this where they run away from a life of pumping out babies? Or what?

Are there any canon runaways or other Skaven independent from any clan?

Female skaven are too bloated to move and mindless so no

No

Is there any art of that?

Presumably yes.

It's possible they'd run away, and skaven society is certainly horrible enough to justify it. Or maybe they'd parlay their fertility into political power; nothing like a promise of sweet breeder-hole to motivate male skaven into servitude.

The latter reason is more likely if you view skaven as inherently corrupt and evil because of Chaos (because Chaos=Evil in Warhammer since at least 6e), which is probably why the males dope their females to begin with; keep them from running the show.

They're mindless because they're permanently drug-addled and bloated because they're incessantly made pregnant, which happens because they're too drug-addled to fight off the males coming to impregnate them. user was arguing what would happen if they avoid the drugging and thus avoid being turned into a bloated baby bag.

None we've ever heard of, but Warhammer doesn't exactly focus on little details like that.

I'd wager that sooner, rather than later one would end up empowered by Khorne or maybe Tzeentch who would help the creature escape and get its revenge in exchange for pulling a fast one on the Horned Rat.

If you want to head canon skaven waifus feel free but I've already explained how you're disregarding canon
Skaven females are born not made

Skavenslayer (Felix & Gotrek series) doesn't really detail how they look like but mentions them only as "breeders".

I could swear they are at least described as rat ogreish in bulk, but maybe I'm imagining things.

Larger

A single Skaven women. Angry, bitter, she wages her shadow campaign against the entire Skaven underworld.

With her scrying tools she discovers her race's plans.
With her nightly burglaries, she finances adventurers to disrupt the Skaven, hiding it behind seemingly innocuous bounties.

You may be thinking about the Book of the Rat. It's an old fan-made skaven supplement for the RPG (that was before the official Children of the Horned Rat was released).

img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1394/82/1394825147818.pdf

The bits about skaven females and skaven families are on page 9 and they match your description. Again, this is not official material.
>The progeny of these loveless acts are cared for by the old matriarchs who are no longer of reproductive age. Skaven offspring are not very well cared for by the elderly and infertile female Skaven, who are quite bitter about their status, and who are forced into servitude in vast nursery warrens
>Female Skaven make up less than a quarter of the Skaven population. Many Skaven females die under the squalid conditions they are kept under. Skaven female newborns are often either killed and eaten by their mothers, or neglected of care and die. The lot of all female Skaven is a terrible one. Most are sequestered in filthy breeding warrens, where they merely sit and wait for the conjugal visits of the Clan Chieftain and his Clan Guard. Skaven females are seen as useless in Skaven society beyond their reproductive purposes, and few if any female Skaven escape this fate

Huh, that may just be it. Doesn't quite ring a bell, but does seem weirdly familiar. Thank you, this was driving me batty.

I quite like this shitty and bitter approach. Fits their entire society torturing itself at every turn. Mindless breeders are too dumb to really suffer.

Skaven - like real rats - actually get anxious and depressed when alone for any extended period of time. Eshin's ability to cope is one of the tools that let them be so effective.

They went with mindless breeding factories for the same reason they made greenskins mushroom people who multiply by spreading spores or lizardmen asexual beings who spawn by spontaneous generation. All-male warrior races are easier to fit in a wargame and they didn't want to humanize them by giving them females and families.

Not exactly the same but there was that one Skaven who tried to stage a revolution for better and more equal or at least more "fair" conditions. So it shows that they are capable of going against their own society and traditions and can attempt to break away.

every single other skaven backstabed him
hes a throwaway character there for a sparticus joke

Only when that ultimatum was offered.

Skinks have families, though. It's just the Saurus that are battle autists

If beastmen are created by raping humans, wouldn't skaven be made in similar fashion?

Aren't they just random mutants and mutants fucking other mutants? Could've sworn that they were supposed to just kill and eat humans.

Why would she do that though? That's a human way of thinking. All skaven are treated like shit from birth and yet there is no hint that any of them see skaven society as fundamentally wrong apart from the fact that they are not (yet) at the top of the social pyramid. They take revenge against their rivals and superiors when they can but the idea of waging war against skavendom as a whole would be completely alien to them. A non-mindless female skaven would probably seek to rule behind the scenes and grow her power by manipulating a wardlord.

The whole kidnapping and rape is just one interpretation, that is vaguely maybe/maybe not stance in the lore. The thing that isn't though, are the full moon debauchery orgies by the beastmen, where depraved humans can attend, and the human-beastmen coupling there definitely produces beastmen offspring.

If you want to know what a female skaven that isn't an overly bloated breeder looks like, search no further
youtu.be/LbaxfuknZWE
GW confirmed one of them is a she
we don't know which one though, but considered it was sold along dwarfen slaves she captured, she must not be the warlord up there.

I don't think anyone was expecting much dimorphism form rattos.

A pretty sure thats just a rumor
B bullshit
C AoS doesn't count

Good point. Didn't consider that..
Which then makes my position only possible if the imaginary female Skaven was self-hating and ratto-hating.

skaven are all narcissists

They channel their frustration toward becoming important.

They grab a smaller rat, drag him screaming and kicking into a side tunnel and groom each other