EDH/Commander General /edhg/

A MOTHERFUCKING HYDRASAURUS Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What is your speculation on what this card will look like?

>What is your speculation on what this card will look like?

another damn bad hydra

you know it'll be a dinosaur hydra

First for RBF

Bad.

>thread question

Big dumb Timmy shit

Disappointing, hopefully part of the story at minimum.

Does anybody else find RBF kinda hot?

I’d use that as a playmat.

Building pic related as discard elfball. Working on my list, but just in case what's some good tech?

The best tech

That’s guaranteed to be the 6th elder Dinosaur after the 5 mono-color ones

This truly terrible card.

Very yes. Does magic have more examples than Queen Facesit?

Oh big time. My sister's friend has it and god damn

It's silly but I quite like this art.

Does mono black counter mono blue by running card discard tech?

You can, and if it's 1v1 you have to. Otherwise, just try and overload their counters.

>Does magic have more examples than Queen Facesit?
Either version of Teysa, but particularly Envoy of Ghosts.

RBF?

Resting Bitch Face

...RBF???

Her expression seems a bit more neutral. Marchesa has that ever so slight lip curl.

See

Complete shite
But aside from that, how the fuck do I stop Derevi from locking boards and dodging everything while coming back every turn for 4cmc? Currently running Omnath, Locus of Rage

By having friends that aren't assholes

Song of the Dryads

Rampaging Ferocidon followed by mass bolts

Biggest ass I've ever met mate. Don't know how my other playgroup friends even tolerate him
Thanks user, looks like that might do the trick
Noted.

>Stop Derevi
You've got a few problems, especially without access to white to fuck the bird up with Hallowed Moonlight or Humility. (or even suppression field)

Torpor orb helps, but only so much. At least it denies the ETB twiddle. Sorcerous Spyglass or Phyrexian Revoker naming Derevi should lock off her cheating IIRC. You can turn her into a tree as per of course.

The real answer is to preempt Derevi with Blood Moon

You know what I hate most about Derevi players? How every single fucking last one of these goddamn subhumans will claim "mine's not like other Derevis, it's not the tryhard version". IT ALWAYS FUCKING IS.

What does "tryhard version" mean anyways?

You can also run Lignify if no sac outlets are common.

Usually it means lots of stax and lockdown pieces.

Not that user though

Stasis hard lock. Nobody plays Bird Tribal, or Inspired shenanigains, it's always stax/stasis.

Is this guy as insane as I think?

>needs to stop blue with Green/Red
Run every single blue hate card, and destroy every single artifact he owns.

He's fine, costs a lot though and doesn't do anything until you untap. Plus most equipment do little until combat so that hurts him too.

People complain about 'stax' so much in these threads but I've never encountered it. Should I be scared? Are there any cards I should be running to stop it? Wouldn't it just fold to artifact destruction or sweepers for the hatebears?

He’s fairly strong, but a bit slow sometimes.

When Stax works, it denies you the ability to actually sweep its shit. The core of its identity is denying you the ability to play cards. True, if you clock a developed Stax board with a Shatterstorm or in some cases even a Wrath of God you make a lot of advantage against them, but being able to actually pull off the spell is a sign that the Stax player isn't doing their job, or wasn't fully set up and probably still has enough pieces in hand to oppress you with.

Thus, it becomes a game of chicken. Burn resources to wipe out artifacts FAST and sure you may hit the Winter Orb but you'll still get fucked hard by Static Orb and Tangle Wire. Wait too long, and the Wire or something else awful that sets you back all at once will come out and deny you the ability to actually hit them until it is far, far too late and you've been forced to sac your shit.

As a Stax player, I honestly fear things in about this order
1) Opponents establishing the ability to lay more permanents than me
2) Fucking myself over by sacing the wrong piece at the wrong time and breaking parity against my interests
3) One little play bringing the whole house of cards tumbling down in a self-destructive chain reaction (I have lost a game to a Volt Charge proliferating my Smokestack up at the exact wrong moment. It was pretty awesome.)
4) Enemy mass removal clocking my important pieces.

Hes amazing in kalemene

What's the appeal?

FUCK derevi players. got one in my group i often play with and he refuses to accept that derevi is degenerate for casual edh. im literally playing some stupid tribal elephant list while this motherfucker comes in with combo stax. is it legal to murder dickwads?

Seeing your opponent's face turn from a face only a mother could love to one on the verge of crying. Sweet, sweet salt.

It is fun as heck to pilot. See fear #2 - loss to pilot's own error. You have to take full account of EVERY resource -- board, hand, and even often graveyards for both yourself and every opponent to determine your probably optimum lines of play, and even then thanks to hidden information (future draws not the least among them) you have to fall back on intuition rather than pure math like you see out of combo. Attempting to establish lock as a Stax deck is the biggest rush I've ever gotten out of a game of magic, life total dropping like a stone, board in constant flux, and then, if do correctly, it finally clicks and you're holding the game in your hand like a maniacal super-villain, able to crush whatever displeases you at will.

And no, the best line of play is NOT usually to vomit all your denial onto the board. the pieces can get in the way of each other or fuck you too hard with their symmetrical natures so you need to think VERY carefully about what you hold, what you cast, and what you throw away.

Playing against Stax may be stereotyped as a dull experience, but being behind the Stax deck is the exact opposite.

use in zurgo, tutor for worldslayer

So it's very mentally engaging and rewarding for you but you don't mind turning a multiplayer game into solitaire to experience it?

THAT BETTER BE A MOTHER FUCKING JUND DINO THERE WIZARDS

I'm honestly not sure how much the stereotype holds while I'm still setting up. It's pretty solitaire if I don't get concessions once established but usually the game is, frankly, over at that point. And I play fast.

So you think it's the regular thing of people not running enough disruption in commander so they complain when unchallenged stax stomps them?

I've played against stax, it's very engaging if I'm playing a low-curve deck with lots of disruption, but it's terrible to play against if I'm piloting a ramp-into-7cmc-spells deck like Maelstrom Wanderer or pretty much anything BUG.

That makes stax a positive influence on any meta because it fucks with some dominant archetypes while encouraging people to build lower curve, more interactive decks. Everyone needs one or two stax decks in their meta.

As for the "turning into Solitaire", when the game actually does turn into Solitaire for the stax player is when his opponents should concede. Don't fucking force him to play it out and then complain that it took forever, you already know you lost.

/EDHG/,

What do you do with a deck when you don't like it anymore but don't want to scrap it? I have a Roon deck that started life as a Derevi pre-con that got heavily edited. It was my first edh deck ever and I kept reading about how cancer it was online so I changed it to Roon Blink. I also switched it because it was too much for my meta to handle. I hate my roon deck though. It's really boring and durdly and gets really gross. I've blown up everyone's lands before, I've made my board impossible to remove, I've locked entire games down to stalemates for 3 hours. So I know it's a functional deck but I just hate it for being boring. Idk what is boring about it but it is. 4 years later my meta is more expierenced and I'm now not playing the most degenerate decks in the meta but it still isn't a super high power meta. Should I just switch it back to Derevi? I got permission from my meta to and they think it should be fine. But that also feels super lame and I'm kinda beyond the point of needing derevi as a crutch. I just really don't know what to do with deck but don't want to scrap it as I like have a lot of options for EDHnight at my friends house in case anyone forgets their deck or wants to try something different. But fuck /EDHG/ What do I do with a deck I don't like but don't want to get rid of?

What are some fun instants for Toshiro Umezawa? I know that if I build the deck its gonna have a lot of kill spells, but I also really want to play big dumb spells if possible, but I don't know much about black at instant speed.

Just keep it. Maybe at some point you'll feel like playing it again.

That mono black one gives me hope that dinosaurs are going jund, but I've been hurt before.

write down the decklist and dsmantle it. That way you can easily rebuild it later, but can now use it to build something different.

I had a bird tribal deck with him at the helm. Too many birds are too over priced for their effects. If someone wanted to boat race it, there was not much it could do.

>legendary creature has a creature type
>brainlets force tribal

But why?

Woah...so intelligent! You watch rick n morty user?

I FEEL LIKE THATS ITS THE DIRECTION DINOS IS GOING. ANOTHER NAYA ONE MAKES NO SENSE, AND BLUE DINO EVEN LESS SO. ITS BEEN TOO LONG FOR JUND FRANKLY, AND HOPEFULLY IF IT IS TRUE IT DOESNT RELY ON THE TRIBE LIKE THAT AWFUL NAYA ONE.

Bothered tribal player?

Nope, I don't enjoy playing tribal. Just tired of relentless shitting on ______ playstyles. Its EDH, relax.

the big reason why scarab had spiked up so high.

Or, it spiked because it's one of the best things to do in standard. The casual demand caused it to spike from 5 to 15 after release, but after that was all standard.

i remember the bug going for 20, then thirdy, then jumped up to fifty for the longest time. zombie tribal is popular in standard and edh, and being a good card and the best dimir commander doesnt help the price. tribal, popularity, and spikeness are both factors.

>the best dimir commander
Fucking excuse you

>the best Dimir commander
Have people seriously forgot about Oona, the nonstop rape train?

Daily reminder that netdecking is cancerous and you'll never learn how to master your decks if you don't build them yourselves. Kid in my group dropped $400 on a netdecked Brago and has never won a game with it while I use my $80 Daretti or $70 Tana

$400 is a weird price point.

You have all this expensive good stuff, but you need to cut some of it to enable synergy. The flip side is, you don't have enough money for anything truly degenerate, so you're probably log jammed with a bunch of expensive splashy 4 cmc cards.

>Only 400$

As long as you spend more than 50 and less than 1000 there isnt going to be a power gap thats too enormous.

Geez, 400$ won't even cover a competitive manabase.

>blowing out the last 2 people in a 4-man pod with Volrath
I can't take this deck apart, the "Surprise Motherfucker" factor is just too high

>Geez, 400$ won't even cover a competitive manabase.

It's more than enough for a 2 color deck. You don't need every offcolor fetchland for that.

>have almost all the parts for a fairly solid Alesha Stax deck
>mana base costs almost as much as the majority of the deck

Volrath is love, Volrath is life.

How do you even out your curve? I found it was mostly a cluster fuck with dead draws and tons of ramp that immediately folded to any hate

I actually found suicide/life payment "anything for power" effects help a lot. Night's Whisper, Seizan, Arena/Necro and the like. Hatred is fucking top-tier if you want to push someone's commander damage over the top on another player, since Volrath can get just as huge, just as easily and Hatred is just redundancy.

Or you can just go maximum politics and complain about your shitty draw, discarding your huge creatures until you hit or tutor Living Death. That's worked exactly twice and I cackled like a retard when I pulled it off.

>To be fair, you need to have a very high IQ to appreciate stax
Everything you just listed is the normal stuff any player would need to consider when choosing an optimal play. You're not special and neither is the archetype you continually wank yourself off to.

fucking this.

I don't think that's how it works at all...

Stax requires much more consistency and attention to game state than any other archetype.

Good combo is often fish removal, or a linear telegraphed list. Midrange/aggro is just vomiting out your hand faster than anyone else. Control can be good, but because it's one sided, you don't really have to plan too much. Because stax is symmetrical, it's incredibly easy to fuck yourself over if you aren't attentive to every aspect of the game, and you can lose easily if you don't sequence your plays right.

That being said, RIP and Psychic Surgery are the two most underrated cards in the format.

>Stax requires much more consistency and attention to game state than any other archetype.
No, it doesn't.

Go on, explain your stupid point of view so I can prove you wrong.

careful fellas, this dude's is SMART

Lol what a nigger

not everyone is a strawman for you to fight and your not always right about everything, scrub

Point proven.

Me: 1
People who don't play Magic but post on Veeky Forums: 0

Am I the only who enjoys helping their friends build decks? I assume not because i'm not a massive narcissist and i am just using a rhetorical question to start a conversation What's the funniest thing that ever happened to you because of a deck you helped build? Have you ever been BTFO by a deck you helped improve?

I have 2 friends I introduced to magic. I have helped one build 2 decks and the other build 1.

The first guy was building Nath and didn't have enough cards to make 99 so I looked through his cards and handed him a Hurricane. He told me that card looked stupid and why would he ever play it. I told him just trust me. He has now won 3 games off of killing people with Hurricane. His decks first win was against me with hurricane.

Second guy went to a draft and opened Scarab God. It made him finally decide to build his own EDH deck instead of always borrowing some one elses. The first iteration was laughably bad. It was literally just hard casting terribly costed vanilla zombies. I spent 4 hours with him fixing his deck and giving him cards since he is new. I showed him the 10 ramp/10 removal/10 card draw method of deck building, helped him make a mana curve, explained win cons and helped him realize he could steal stuff from other peoples graveyards. That deck has been the biggest thorn in my side since then. He went from almost crying about how bad his deck was to a supreme sense of smug. I don't know if I should be proud or annoyed.
Funniest story about helping this deck is that he had no repeatable card draw for a long time after the first time i helped him so i gave him a greed and a coastal piracy and he nearly killed himself the first time he resolved greed. He went from 28 to 6 life in one turn digging through his deck look for his 2 pieces of enchantment removal. It was so bad I had to remind him the name of the card so he wouldn't go down to 2 life

I feel like you don't know what "competitive" means here. Legacy and vintage players don't phone it and say "thats not optimal but its probably fine"

400$ buys you an underground sea and some cheap fetches, but doesn't even get you mishras or a tabernacle, and god forbid you have more colors in your deck.

Really though you are proving my point, you need to at least break a grand to have a real advantage against "budget" players

Literally nothing was proven you edgy retard

You have not listed a single aspect of the archetype that makes it any more arduous than its counterparts. They are all based around the same thing: breaking parity over your opponents. The axis on which you attack from (life, cards, mana) is irrelevant.
So many of your embarrassingly described hard choices are reduced down to "look at the board" which is the exact same thing aggro,control, XYZ must do.

And yet no one has said anything about any other archetype requiring as much consistent attention as stax.

Points for effort, but you're on Veeky Forums son, we expect more than the minimum.

he was merely pretending to be smart. he is actually retarded and doesnt even watch the smart nihilistic show that everyone loves.

Tabernacle may be a land, but it is not part of your mana base.

>the point
>your head
Look user, I get it, your rustled. But you missed the main crux of the argument: symmetrical disadvantages.

Every single other archetype has a certain linearity involved with the decision making process. Sure, you can build a janky rube goldberg combo engine that's absurdly complicated to play, but beyond t3, that shit literally never matters.

Stax is about choices, and while people often feel Derevi prison-style lock-out is the epitome of stax, it's really a combo deck with a commander-based wincon to break a hard lock. Utilizing Smokestack, or Trinisphere effectively requires you to have your game plan locked and loaded. You need to be aware of the locks in your deck, your opponent's capabilities, and the best time to implement a lock where you can also break it. You can still fuck up a perfect stax lock if you aren't aware of what your opponent's using, but Kiki-conscripts or smacking someone with a fuck-huge Uril doesn't have the same drawbacks.

There's a point when a Stax deck becomes a combo deck, and the example I usually use is Brago. You can throw down Winter Orb + Tangle Wire, then connect with Brago and win the game, but that's more of a combo because it's a hard lock; you can't break it once its set.

A quality stax deck operates on a continuum of minor advantage, and even slightly having it upset ruins your day, like playing against Meren and running a discard package, or Darietti if you're going to Decree of Annihilation. The difference is, unlike a combo deck or an aggro deck, no match-up is unwinnable; it's about when you use what you have available.

Is this a nitpick just to nitpick? We could go with tropical island and cradle. or as you have pointed out, mana =//= lands, so we could talk about mox diamond, crypt, opal...

A competitive mana base expensive. 400$ does not even get you there.

what would you consider a non-degenerate derevi?
A friend gave me the pre-con as part of a trade a while back and I never opened it.
I know the stax shit is obnoxious but i'd like to at least use it for something fun eventually

Recommendations for this guy? I'm building him as a casual spellslinger deck with a splice/arcane subtheme. It's the deck I plan to use with my hyper casual friends, so no infinite combos

Azorius Charm
Fractured Identity
Ojutai's Command
Sphinx's Revelation
Thoughtweft Gambit

Is it rude to sideboard in/out cards depending on which decks my friends run?