Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

When was the last time you got really scared or super worried about what was happening inside a game? As a player, not as a character.

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/YLikTing

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/shifter/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My GM gave me the equivelant of a deck of many things. I have yet to draw from it, just because I'm so terrified of what might happen, but I know he'll be disappointed if I don't use it at all. I think he made the options himself though, so I pray there's no major derailment things I can draw.

how should i start off my starfinder campaign anons? im thinking their ship gets fucked by drift demons and they crash land ont he planet. first missions are fixing shit thats broken and rescuing survivors that launched escape pods.

this is the pathfinder thread, you might wanna try this thread friendo

Fuck off. /pfg/ or /pgg/, Starfinder is welcome.

That thread has neither "Pathfinder" nor "Starfinder" in the OP, making anyone who tries searching for either in the catalog come up blank. Try again next time sweetheart, maybe your medicine will actually kick in.

I got legitimately terrified in Wrath of the Righteous due to everyone thinking an invisible demon was trailing the halfling chick, and the whole party getting suspicious of who could be a traitor. The 'best' part was that all of this could have been avoided if the tiefling didn't cast Unseen Servant to follow the halfling and see if she was up to anything;
the tief's Servant looked evil due to her fiendish taint, so the other half of the party with See Invisibility assumed the worst.

If they're not going to be adults and make their own damn thread, at least having them here prevents them bloating the catalog and getting both of our groups banned. The shit-babies can stay as long as they don't sperg out any more.

An unseen servant is fucking shapeless. See invisibility wouldn't detect anything. Unseen Servants also can't receive visual input or communicate and even if it could it's mindless, it can't report shit.

>shapeless
>wouldn't detect anything
It'd probably detect a shapeless mass, but nothing that could be mistaken for an evil creature.

My group just ran a one shot game, during which we worked out that there was some sort of countdown going on. The DM was tracking minutes for all actions and conversations, and we knew that the enemy commander of the fort was away but likely to return soon. So I was worried that this antipaladin was going to come stomping back in before we cleared out his minions, and judging by those minions, he was stupid high level. Turned out to be a timer on his bound paladin ghosts respawning after each defeat, and we had to solve a few puzzles to put them to rest.

You say that like the Tiefling had any sort of common sense or plan, beyond "hey, I can do this! Go do this." Plus, the players involved agreed that it was a good diversion that ultimately didn't change the plot fuck that halfling, she deserved to die for spying, so we didn't mind the runaround the GM gave us.

I mean it did make a fun little bit of tension, so I'd say the GM did good with this one, even if it's supposed to be shapeless.

Oh man, I remember you talking about this.

Thanks?
It was kind of a stressful game once we suspected getting our butts kicked if the timer went down. Plus the hostages that refused to be rescued until the minions were all dead. And the ghosts/wraiths/whatevers with Con drain attacks. We were not ready for the Con drain.

Magical pavement allows you to create roads where you travel seven times faster than normal, as long as you're walking along them lengthwise. How much should a six mile stretch of this stuff (enough to pave one road running an entire hex) cost?

Three or four times the cost of a Road.

The time a player left about a month back. Was a bad time.

every goddamn week.

When our party had to fight a froghemoth after I found out our gm has a vore fetish and a thing for midgets. Guess who was playing a halfling that game.

Every time we meet. Feels like the game is on its last legs

Ha, that's a pretty funny joke, user.
It...it is a joke, right?

No.

Storytime?

How common are mages who can create them?

What's going wrong? Is it a problem player, a problem GM, or just people burning out and having no time?

It might be just the season if it's been people unable to show up for sessions.

I'm finally getting around to joining a pathfinder game. Is there anything I should know? I'm familiar with DnD3.5 (and all before) and C/WoD. I've heard it's similar to 3.5. Should I expect someone really new, or just different?

Problem GM. I understand life can be hectic, but why run a game and then just not show up for almost 2 months?

If those months are November and December, it might be understandable. Did they give any reason?

Will Paizo actually redo the Shifter? I can't imagine even salvaging this class with archetypes when all the current archetypes are absolute garbage. It feels like every future book will potentially have a section of guaranteed shit if the shifter remains as is. They'll be reasonable right?

They did, and it makes sense. But it's frustrating because putting a lot of effort into characters and roleplaying and getting hype for a session you're hoping happens is tiring when there's no payout.
Why offer to run a game if you expect things to be unmanagable for so long, ya'know?

>inb4 some 3pp dev rewrites the Shifter

Other than rule tweaks here and there for shit like trip and grapple, oh and skill points, you're fine.

Is this a /pfg/ game?

Literally the only "official fix" to anything in UW is nerfing Shifter's Edge. So no, they want you to take their shit, eat it, and call it the BEST THING EVER.

Is the Shifter Tier 5?

Tier 6, where it rests with the Swashbuckler

Even the Swashbuckler gets better than the poor Shifter.

>Paizo admitting they did something wrong when they actually did do something wrong
Never gonna happen.

It hurts to say, but yes.

Shifter might be rock bottom of 4, since some of the shapes offer a bit more utility than pure martials... but it fucking sucks at everything else. It's Tier 6 in terms of power, bottom of Tier 4 versatility.

Tier 6, classes that can shapeshift do a better job then the shifter even when intentionally gimping themselves. A Warrior with PC gold that spends it all on gear so that he can shapeshift is a better shifter. A fucking shifter with UMD and a single scroll of Beast Shape III does a better job then a regular plain shifter.

Sadly and ironically, the people most willing to run games on /pfg/ are also the people who have at least a veneer of a real life (job, marriage, living relatives they don't hate, etc) and thus are busy during the holidays.

It's Kineticist 2.0, I can't imagine it'd take more than 3 months for someone to do it.

Not to mention that a ton of stuff had to go on hiatus or get shaken up due to finals for the college students with more free time.

That seems like a friendly suggestion aiming him towards a thread that might be more useful. The only ones being spergs are you two retards

Fuck off.

It's been going on for so long I don't even expect the game to run. I made sure ahead of time my finals wouldn't interfere with game-time before applying.

Stay classy

Who would lose in a fight, an oozemorph Shifter or a Vow of Poverty Chained Monk?

Shifter.

The Monk at least has an item slot.

Don't expect to see Starfinder/Pathfinder split/join to really end any time soon. Some people are really, really invested in each side.

I really don't get the point of the split when we have generals for '40k RPGs' as a single thing

you're asking the people who play a game that split off from 3.5e.

Probably our last session of Rise of the Runelords. we're currently going under sandpoint after a pit appeared the whole area is covered in this dark fog and only my gunslinger has vision due to goggles. I got shivers up my spine as I had to direct the party, I just couldn't shake this feeling of knowing something bad was going to happen, no real point of where the fog started or what was under. Everyone but me could only see 5ft in front of them, so no one knew what to do. We ended up killing the probable last living thassalonian when he came out of the mist along with 3 devil looking things, but he managed to kill my gunslinger before the party killed him. Sorcerer dispels the magic only for the party to see her cut completely in half. Thank god we had a scroll of ressurection or else I would be making a new pc right now.

Kind of unfair to say because I'm the GM in this circumstance but...
We're playing with a really small group, two players and myself because of people dropping out, not being available, scheduling conflicts, etc. For a long while One player has run two PC's just because he had a character duo in mind and its worked out. The other dude has felt it necessary to copy him or something I guess, ran with another character for a bit and he ended up having no identity and pretty much was just there for more damage and a few utility spells.
The issue I took with this is that the campaign is character driven. I have big arcs planned that can take place theoretically anywhere, I have smaller scale quests ready for them wherever they go, so its entirely on what they want to do, and if they aren't sure, I give em some nudges.
In a recent adventure they encountered a guy who made it his job to hunt down Supernatural creatures that are causing problems and kill them to eliminate said problems.
Well, after that second character he ran a while back went off to do his own thing, he decided to reintroduce a character from another game we ran that I really wasn't fond of, it just wasn't working out too well so I brought it to an end.
This character probably would show up on the NPC's radar for stuff to hunt, I made it clear the guy hunts supernatural creatures, and his secondary character is going to show up for the first time next session, depending on events its entirely possible this NPC will want to kill him pretty soon, and I'm worried as the GM that he's going to think I'm upset with him or something and planned to kill his character from the start when it's really just in the nature of the NPC if he's provoked to do so.

>TL:DR
>Player has Supernatural-ish Second PC
>NPC hunts supernatural types that cause trouble
>Second PC definitely causes trouble
>NPC might target PC
>Worried he'll think I'm picking on him just because I'm sticking to the established setting.

I think we should let people post about Starfinder here but keep the name as /pfg/, Paizo is so awful that seeing their name in the topic triggers me and Pathfinder isn't really their game anyway.

I mean, if there's warning, it sucks, but is understandable. If each week you're playing Will It Run, that's really fucking annoying. Just call a hiatus until you know disruptions are out of the way, goddamn.

People already do talk about it, it's literally a single autist screeching about it.

It's become the latter, Will It Run week after week

Oh hell no, no game is worth that. Get yourself out of there while you still can.
Which game are you in, son? Name and shame them.

Is Argentum nice a personal level, at least?

Not an argentum game.

Is it Ensoulment?

Same person for both. Not an argentum game. I've had a little too much to drink

Nope.

Let the guessing game begin. I'll be back when we're done with celeb bullshit.

Then what is it, user? Don't protect the GM like this.

It's HV4.

I haven't looked at it. What's wrong with the Shifter?

>4
Jesus christ how many times has that shitpile been run for this thread?

That AP is cursed.

Okay, smartass. Say I'm looking to find information on the game "Starfinder" or "Pathfinder". It's like D&D, my friends have told me, just look up Starfinder or Pathfinder. So I look on Veeky Forums, but lo and behold I can't find anything!

Dejected, I give up, because why the fuck would I look for the game COMPANY rather than the game TITLE? Nobody looks up Chaoseum, they look up Call of Cthulhu. Nobody gives a shit about Steve Jackson Games, they search for GURPS or Munchkin or whatever. Games Workshop? Sorry, no, it's Warhammer or Age of Sigmar or Bloodbowl.

Your ridiculous belief that "Paizo Games General" has the same amount of clarity as "Pathfinder/Starfinder General" is more retarded than anything you could call us, the people calling out your sorry ass (and yes, it's just one or two of you, because there's a conspicuous lack of your bullshit at the midnight hours).

It's almost like playing an Evil Campaign with autistic randos is a bad idea.

Or playing an Evil Campaign written by Paizo.
Or playing an Evil Campaign, because those always end up so well.

d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/shifter/

Just read and behold how poorly designed this class is. It's not even a fun class to play.

>only one or two people can be in any one timezone or share a similar sleeping pattern!
Why do you argue like this? Just state your argument about clarity without bogging down your argument with invective and assumptions that don't strengthen your point.

Welcome to the worst timeline. Here's your complimentary nothing because we never made hover cars or sick-ass augs.

>sick-ass augs.
muhfugga we've got those on the way

>make a class called Shifter
>give it the dogshit druid flavor no one wanted
>give it an incredibly limited amount of "aspects" to turn into
>give it worse wildshape than an actual Druid so there's no point in playing the class anyway
>archetypes are even worse

I can't wrap my head around this, what was the goal here?

Pad out a book that probably wouldn't have sold very well otherwise?

>what was the goal here?
"an easy shapeshifting class for newbies", despite the fact that even a druid is probably less cumbersome, and is overall better even if you straight up ignore spellcasting via dumped Wis?

Hey, coming to pathfinder from 5e and I got a rules question. In Barbarian, under rage it states "The total number of rounds of rage per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive."

Does that mean my barbarian can just take a bunch of micronaps throughout the day to get more rage? Could I just sleep on the horse carriage between travels?

All they had to do was take a druid do the following:
-d10 hd
-full BAB
-wildshape like a druid
-bonus feats to replace spellcasting
-feature to ignore wisdom requirements for wildshape feats.
-some type of scaling bonus to hit, AC, or damage.
Done! There's your fucking shifter and make some archetypes that focus on giant shifting, dragon shifting, elemental shifting, ooze shifting, a beastman/werewolf archetype, and a doppelganger archetype. 10/10 everyone would lose their shit. A team of 5 anons can crap this out in 2 weeks.

>A team of 5 anons can crap this out in 2 weeks.
Alternatively, go poke DHB a little

nigga, jolly could shit something out in a weekend by himself, a team of anons would have something decent in an afternoon

That isn't really impressive either, I would've made it more like the Master of Many Forms and Warshaper from 3.5. Give it a lot of versatility in wildshaping to make up for loss of spells.

>"an easy shapeshifting class for newbies",
Why are publishers so damned obsessed with making dumbed down classes for noobs? First 4e with essentials and now paizo. It's like the think everyone is constantly playing their first game.

literally everyone asked these questions in the product page, and paizotards made it out like it was mean "toxic" haters who refused to adore paizo's latest brainchild

The funny thing with 4e? They RELEASED newbie 4e stuff before essentials...it was AEDU classes where they'd given the powers much more intuitive names (So the cleric had 'Healing smash' for a melee attack) for their 'D&D for kids' thing.

That's how you do newbie stuff, you make it clear and unambiguous rather than inventing something 'simple' and shitty.

Is it better to have a whitelist of allowed races, or a blacklist? The former would be easier, but I might want to be surprised by an unusual choice. Is there a good way to control things if you use a blacklist? Saying "don't come to me with a Munavri" only works so well.

You could just say something like Core races only. Or maybe mention something you don't to see? For example, No races with +4 racial score to a single stat. You could maybe even rule out small races or with spell like abilities built into it.

You could ask him if it's a standard deck or one he made himself. You could also ask him how likely you are to totally fubar your character (though if he tells you it's a standard one that much is easy to figure out, just through the entire deck into hellfire and call it a day)

How good is Paragon Surge on a prepared caster? I'm debating if it'd be better to take half-elf on Cleric instead of human (since I'm probably taking Eldritch Heritage anyway so it's not a wasted feat.) I'm trying to think of situations where Paragon Surge would be useful on a Cleric but I'm struggling to think of something that isn't stupidly circumstantial.

I've told my players in both games that I run that anything under 15-20 RP is probably fine.That weeds out the dumb shit like Kasatha, Wyrwood, Svferneblin, Driders, Noble Drow and Gargoyles but keeps stuff like Kitsune, Wayang, Fetchling, Tiefling, Aasimar, Oread, Sylph, Undine and Ifrit.

I usually have a white list, core plus some others, if you want to play something else you better come to me with a hell of a backstory.

>with a hell of a backstory
I have two people playing an exotic race in a game I'm in and I'm pretty sure they don't even have a backstory written. At least an Ifrit isn't too terribly strong and is thematic for the setting Legacy of Fire.

I like how races fall into two categories: "Not really better than core" and "Why bother with Core when these exist?"

Thanks, that's the kind of guideline I was looking for.

DHB has already said he has done shapeshifter related things in the past and was considering writing one if he ever finds the time.

The ifrit makes sense in that case and I'd include it with the base races.

>races fall into two categories: "Not really better than core" and "Why bother with Core when these exist?"
It's the races in the second category I have the biggest issue with.