Weeb TCG General 4 - Alternate Win Edition

Thread to discuss and enjoy TCGs other than Magic.

Do you like alternate win condition cards?
Do the games you play have any alternate win conditions?
If so, what's your favorite to use/see someone try to use?
If not, how do you think it would work in your game?

Other urls found in this thread:

cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/Star-vader,_"Omega"_Glendios
caster-chronicle-tcg.com/product/0005
caster-chronicle-tcg.com/product/0004
youtube.com/watch?v=WdubQSKSqck
cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/Zeroth_Dragon_of_Death_Garden,_Zoa
cf-vanguard.com/en/howto/pdf/vg_playbook_web.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Do you like alternate win condition cards?
If they're interesting yes.
>Do the games you play have any alternate win conditions?
MtG so yes. Not sure about any in animu card games since I haven't played much, but I really want to. Even considering getting into Vanguard or Weiss since FoW is dead here.
>If so, what's your favorite to use/see someone try to use?
n/a
>If not, how do you think it would work in your game?
n/a

Vanguard is a much better game than Weiss, and Magic has a couple interesting alt-wins. OP image is an alt-win in Vanguard that has a nice control deck that it both supports and is supported by. If you're interested in learning how to play Vanguard, look into a program called Cardfight Area (if you're familiar with Cockatrice, it's like that but for CFV) and someone on here might be able to help.

Is the deck/archetype also the filename so I can search on it? Thanks for the info. I know it's secondary market can be crazy, but it's not as bad as MtG right?

Yes, the file name is the name of the central unit. And the secondary market has a pretty wide range, but most decks don't have any cards over $20, and there are very few cards important to any deck over $30. A few meta decks barely have any cards over $10. Glendios, sadly, is one of the more expensive decks.

That's a relief how expensive we talkin?

I have nothing against alternate wincons but I generally don't try to play them. Once upon a time I wanted to run an Exodia deck in YGO, but by the time the limbs got reprinted at common I think most of what I actually wanted to use aside from Exodia, like Sangan and the Butterfly Dagger combo, were banned.

Now I play Force of Will, and one of my friends has a Kaguya deck with the Water Kimono. While it is technically an alternate wincon, it's usually easier to Bestow a handful on a single Resonator with Flying or Barrier or something and start swinging. I hate playing that deck not because of the kimonos, but because of the backbreaking control.

New spoiler is out, which is a D Police Perfect Guard

Cosmic Hero, Grandmonk
Grade 1, 6000 Power

[Cont] Sentinel
[Auto] [Choose a card from your hand, and discard it] When this unit is placed on (GC) from hand, you may pay the cost. If you do, choose one of your unit that is being attacked, and that unit cannot be hit until end of that battle. Then, if your opponent's has an unit with [Power] 30000 or greater, draw a card
[Act] [Drop Zone] GB1 [Bind this card face up] Choose 6 of your units, until the end of turn, they get "[V/R] Resist".

The archetype is called Glendios, which the boss card's alternate win condition is that you win the game when you have 5 damage (you lose the game at 6) and all your opponent's cards are locked at the beginning of your main phase.

cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/Star-vader,_"Omega"_Glendios

The main concerns are the Omega Glendios (Grade 3 boss), 2 copies of Omega Fall Glendios (if you choose to run it in your G-Zone) and 4 copies of Glueball Dragon (essential enough to run 4 of, but you can play Big Crunch Dragon as a cheap substitute)

>travel to Japan for work
>buy a bunch of boosters, some of games I'm totally unfamiliar with

How'd I do guys?

I'm largely transitioning over from M:tG to FoW. In M:tG, I was always a fan of alt wincons so I was pleased to see a couple (Kimono & Attoractia) even if they seem super janky.

Malefic Yggdrasil is kind of like playing an alternate wincon, too. Especially since mill isn't really a thing in FoW, at least right now.

Duel Masters
MTG
Buddyfight
Weiss
Luck and Logic
Pokemon
FOW
Battle Spirits?

Now that's some variety

Ani-Mayhem qualifies as a game that isnt Magic.

Your MtG pulls have serious value -- The mana drain (Top row, third card) is about sixty bucks -- so you're probably in the clear. regardless of the market for any of the other cards.

Yeah, that's one of the Rulers that really jumped out at me. Not sure how I'd go about building it for New Frontiers (beyond the named cards, Yggdor, and probably some copies of Release and Barrier Seal) but it looks fun as heck with an older Red package (Norns, etc.)

Your one Force of Will card isn't really worth anything.

FUCK this alternate win condition.

You may only cast this card if you have a 《Black Dragon》 monster on your field.
[Cast Cost] [Pay 3 life]
[Set] (This card remains on the field.)
Abilities of this card on the field cannot be nullified.
At the end of your opponent's turn, put the top card of your deck into this card's soul. Then, if there are three or more souls in this card, put this card from the field into the drop zone, and you win the game.

How realistic is that to pull off? It seems like a pretty short timer but not knowing the game three turns (? Is every card a soul?) could be way too long, a black dragon way too hard, or the stupid thing easy to answer.

I'm liking your pulls so far.

The basic core of the deck (with TCGPlayer prices by each card) is something like this:

>G0
1 Star-vader, Worldline Dragon ($0.10)
4 Star-vader, Paradigm Shift Dragon ($0.10 ea.)
8 Draw Triggers (range in prices, some are pretty cheap)
4 Light that Lights Up Demise, Carina ($5-$6 ea.) (can cut corners here and replace with any Link Joker Heal Trigger, some of which are dirt cheap)

>G1
4 Iron Wall Star-vader, Thorium ($2 ea.) or 4 Flowers in Vacuum, Cosmo Wreath ($3-$5 ea.)
2-4 Star-vader, Ruin Magician ($0.30-$0.40 ea.)
2-4 Engraving Star-vader, Praseodymium ($0.20-$0.30 ea.)

>G2
4 Star-vader, Crusgabel ($0.10 ea.)

>G3
3-4 Star-vader, "Omega" Glendios ($13-$15 ea.)
3-4 Star-vader, "Reverse" Cradle ($5-$6 ea.)
6-8 other "Reverse" cards with different names (Cheapest 6 are School Punisher, Leo-pald "Reverse"; Ice Prison Hades Emperor, Cocytus "Reverse"; Maiden of Venus Trap "Reverse"; Dark Dimensional Robo, Daiyusha "Reverse"; Eradicator, Vowing Saber Dragon "Reverse"; and Cleanup Celestial, Ramiel "Reverse"; the first 3 are less than a dollar each, and the last three are all around a dollar)

>G4
4 Death Star-vader, Glueball Dragon ($25-$26 ea.)
4 Death Star-vader, "Omega Fall" Glendios ($1.50-$2 ea.)
0, 2, or 4 Death Star-vader, "Omega Loop" Glendios ($13-$15 ea.)
0 or 2 Nebula Dragon, Big Crunch Dragon ($10-$12 ea.)
0 or 2 Genesis Dragon, Flageolet Messiah ($17-$20 ea.)
2 Genesis Machine Deity, Desthergen ($0.10 ea.)
0-1 Genesis Beast, Destiny Guardian ($17-$18)
1-2 Darkness that Lights Up Demise, Lacus Carina ($21-$23 ea.)

There are a few different choices that can slot into the remaining card slots, to distribute across grades 1 and 2, but this is all the necessary stuff.

Sangan is legal again, and Exodia got some support cards relatively recently.

It's incredibly easy to pull off.
>Every monster in the deck is a Black Dragon
>Almost every spell in the deck is also a Black Dragon
>The deck runs a ton of oppression
>There's an item in the game that prevents it from being destroyed so you have to destroy that first
>The deck has life gain out the ass

Basically soul is the "stock" under the card so every card can be a soul.
The average turn will have at minimum 3 attacks for about 2+ damage each.
At least one of those attacks will be stopped by the opponent's monster preventing direct damage. The others will be blocked by whatever attack nullifier is in the opponent's hand at the time.
The starting life in the game is 10.

tl;dr: You must either run a solid amount of general card destruction(most in the game only target monsters) or pull off the greatest feats of hyper aggro known to man

>Not running at least 1 or 2 Amnesty Messiah to save yourself some agony against Link Joker mirror

He might want to run 4 Magnet Hollow as well for his Grade 2 lineup since I don't think he should run only 4 Grade 2s

I didn't say it was a full list, just a basic core. A copy of Amnesty is definitely a good idea, and Flageolet can help with the LJ mirror. Magnet Hollow isn't that great, I'd personally recommend Companion Star-vader, Photon if he has the money. Also, some builds are going with a 6 crit/6 draw lineup now.

Alright, thanks for the information guys. I'll definitely look into it, maybe get a starter to try things out.

Nice Duel Masters mang.

You can have fun with them. Makes for some interesting decks to mix things up.

Yep! In fact, DBZ pretty much had it built into the game- MPPV and Dragon Balls in addition to just beating people down.

MPPV was always fun. DBS has one that requires a TON of energy that'd be cool to see someone pull off.

N/A

If you want to get the basics of Link Joker (the clan that Glendios and his support are part of), there's a recently released Trial Deck (essentially a starter) that has a lot of decent stuff for the Messiah build. It's called G-TD15: Messiah Dragon of Rebirth.

I think total I opened 4 Iconic Masters, 6 Ixalan, and 1 Eternal Masters. Very happy with the Drain and Canopy.
Yeah, I know. Shaela is a qt at least. Also, Force of Will is entirely dead in Japan, or at least in the 10ish shops in Akihabara I visited. Only one place sold FoW packs (and only one set at that), and none of them sold FoW singles.

>Also, Force of Will is entirely dead in Japan, or at least in the 10ish shops in Akihabara I visited. Only one place sold FoW packs (and only one set at that), and none of them sold FoW singles.
Well that's concerning. I usually don't think TCGs when I think Akiba, though, so maybe it's not indicative of the scene for the whole country.

How was Caster Chronicles doing there?

Akiba was actually really lively for TCGs. There's multiple shops that are literal 3-5 story towers, where each floor is dedicated to one or two TCGs. Almost every shop/floor had tables of players and traders too. I don't think I saw any Caster Chronicles, but I'm not as familiar with that game as I am with FoW, MTG, Pokemon, DM, and CFV.

I'll hold out hope that it's Regional though. I mean, if you sampled Los Angeles, M:tG would be ailing and the dominant format would be Legacy with Vintage a distant second, Standard and Modern unplayed.

>The Caster Chronicles

Apparently the second set, which is named "Pi-Dimension Battle Royale" will come out in Japan late next month

caster-chronicle-tcg.com/product/0005

The first Collab Booster comes out in Japan within two weeks

caster-chronicle-tcg.com/product/0004

Are the collab boosters going to be released in English at all? I am hoping that English support for this game will be as consistent as it is for FoW.

I also went to a shop in Roppongi, and no FoW there either. Makes me sad since I legitimately enjoy FoW, but the scene for it where I live is entirely dead where I am in the US too.

I also saw very little Dragoborne in any shop I went to in Japan, basically just a couple of starter decks. I did order some English ones online though, I'll be trying that with my roommate once I'm back from traveling.

>Magical Girl Raising Project collab booster
>Best girl Nemu is likely going to be in it
I was on the fence about getting into this game, but if that set comes out in English, I'm definitely picking some stuff up.

That'll have to depend on the licensing and if the game actually survives in the West, which is why I question the company on releasing another game when they are only slowly getting their shit back together

>Roppongi

That's your mistake right there, try Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, and Nakano for better results

Yeah the Roppongi shop was kinda lame, I only went since Roppongi was where I was working while I was in Japan. They had some cool Persona 5 sleeves though (pic related).

Visiting Japan really feels like a tease since there's some many games that are actively played and sold, and when I come home, I know my LGS will still be nothing besides MTG and YGO.

Is there a decent community for weeb TCGs in the St. Louis area?

The one game I'm stumped on is the pocky-looking one.

If you're talking about the one second to the right in the center row, it's from Snack World. A shop was selling packs for 50 yen each so you know it's high quality

Talking of Glendios, that one stride of his "the Fall" I think it's called. It that worth it? Every time I read it it just feels off.

Between "Omega Fall" and Glueball, "Omega Loop" is pretty much unnecessary.

>playing vanguard's 3DS game Lock on Victory (through BT15)
>make Great Daiyusha deck that's specifically designed to make the flashiest most-anime plays possible
>main play is to use goyusha to suck in a daiyusha and a few other DRs with a Daikaiser as VG to SUPERIOR CROSS BREAK RIDE, GREAT DAIYUUUUUUUUUSHA
>consistently have Laurel out to double swing should the 25000 3 crit cock not be enough on the first swing
It's dumb, but it's fun.

Are there translation patches for the 3DS games, or do you just have a card database nearby, or do you just memorize the cards?

No translation patch. I know a good bulk of played cards from around that time, but if I don't know then I have to go through the process of tcgplayer > clan > booster set > grade. I had to that a lot for the G one too.
The real pain in the butt was menus and buttons was mostly just trial and error.

I've recently started playing Stride to Victory, and I've been using this CFV database app. I keep resetting the game because I'm way too indecisive about what decks I want to use, but I'm sticking with Messiahs until I can build Scharhrot and/or Yasuie.

>Then, if your opponent's has an unit with [Power] 30000 or greater, draw a card
yeah boy, dependent on power units, i'm hard, yo
>Choose 6 of your units, until the end of turn, they get "[V/R] Resist".
WHAT IN THE FUCK
yes

>messiahs
Bad call unless you actually have a jp 3DS or a way to get a jp keyboard on it (which I don't know if there is or not) because the Messiah line relied extremely heavily on pic, which is a promo card and can only be gotten from entering in the code. In moonrunes.

I play on Citra, so I don't know how to go about using JP keyboard inputs.

How do I build BravelyDefault.dek?

Sometimes. Usually, either the concept is neat but the way to optimally execute it is boring/cancerous, or the concept is contrary to the deck that uses it.
Yu-Gi-Oh has a few, FOW has a couple, Magic has a few, and Vanguard has (I think) two, OP image and Egorg.
Destiny Board is a funny deck in YGO, but it pretty much never works. I try to pull of Egorg's effect sometimes, but generally it's just better to go with an Aodaien-centric "delete-then-rush" strategy.
n/a

i think it's only two, and both of those are Link Jokers

wow, the clan that cheats to win is also the evil clan, who woulda thought

Deus Ex Machina was originally planned to be an alt wincon, but changed so that Chrono would be able to have a chance to symbolically alter Ryuzu's "perfect future".

There is a .cia that gives you a JP keyboard on 3DS. I didn't actually know that there was a Vanguard game for the system until now.

Just make this guy's deck and watch his combo videos for how to play it.
youtube.com/watch?v=WdubQSKSqck

Technically now there's three with the Zoo Zeroth Dragon, which basically makes you win the game if the rear guard you called from Zoa's effect deals damage to your opponent's Vanguard

cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/Zeroth_Dragon_of_Death_Garden,_Zoa

Mill would probably be too good for Vanguard, wouldn't it? It'd be an autowin against Dark Irregulars, Granblue, and any draw-heavy decks like OTT.

Megacolony actually has a finisher now.

Omega Loop builds of Glendios have a mill-like effect, and Seal Dragons can do something similar.

>hope you got 2 perfect guards, faggot.

Off topic, who ever thought that these pieces of shit would be used ever?

I run them in Gear Colossus and Raizers just to accelerate plays

Don't worry, Bushiroad will probably make a Kagero G-Guard that will retire all the rear guards in a Circle to bypass Resist and Zoa's effect since you are not choosing that unit to retire bonus points if it is for Overlord only because Kagero is basically Dragonic Overlord THE CLAN anyway

Blademaster is really good, though.

God damnit that's so cool. I wish I had friends.

I've seen people use them in Idea-drones (for play acceleration), Gold Paladins (for 1-card Unite), Amon (recycles triggers from soul and CCs), Granblue (early game milling), Genesis (Secret Elsie's SB guard and Rooibos' incredibly easy recycling and free SCs), Link Joker (Nobelium's free lock), and Seal Dragons (Atar's free recycling).

Force of Will: Am I insane for wanting to try and build a Rising from the Depths/Umr at-Tawil combo deck with Mercurius or Sol?

No, either one of them can go off immediately from Judgment. I mean, Hook might be more backbreaking to drop off Rising than Umr but if you're going euro bans that's not a thing. And even one Umr could fetch you Alexandria to give Swiftness to the team and cross that empty board RIGHT NOW. And if you're not worried about Euro bans you could always have both Hook and Umr to hit. Sadly they don't share a race so you'd need a second alexandria either dropped ahead of time or off a second Umr to have both Umr and Hook swinging in right away.

Neutral on those, if they're good enough, I'll play them.
Weiss Schwarz doesn't have those.
N/A
N/A

I want Bushiroad to hurry up and release the third Kancolle set, so I can get ahold of this Choukai.

Yeah, Library of Alexandria was a definite must, because then it also lets me search into Fayli, Genius Rip-off Artist to copy Umr and fetch more stuff. And maybe a single Eruptiphant for when I run out of Fayli or mana to activate her.

It is still very good with Mubdi et al for its advantage engine, but the only problem is that Overlord burns your opponent's rearguards better since Overlord can retire things that couldn't be retired by normal means (ie. Units with Resist because lol targeting Circles instead of Rearguards)

If you use Sol, you can run World Flame Summoning to double down on board obliteration and power it out with Ancient Heartfelt Fire, not to mention Rune of Sol to fetch from an Ancient Magic toolbox.

Absolutely not. It's usually boring as hell to play against them.

Yeah,fucking glendios.Thank god most people hate that shit. Oh and I guess Deleters have one too but no one ever plays that.

n/a

n/a

I could still run Rune of Sol and probably Ancient Heartfelt Fire with Mercurius, I'd just have to pay for the Fire will the old fashioned way. The only real difference in the deck would be using her demon instead of Sol's, which would give me slightly better draw power.

Deletors sometimes run one copy of Egorg. In case the game lasts through both Aodaien strides.

Fair enough. The goal is pretty much blisteringly fast combo anyway.

Now that's a very mean card. Ugh, I really hope I don't have to deal with some asshole that uses the Zeroth Dragons. They'd be a real drag.

i always assumed Quintet Walls existed because of Daikaiser

The Dragon Empirie Zeroth Dragon can alt-win in a very specific circumstance. If the opponent has no cards in soul and only 2 cards in hand when its skill resolves, the opponent will have no vanguard, and thus autolose.

I hate Link Joker so much.

I can't comment on that since I haven't played with the new Overlord stuff yet but I scimmed through the internet and saw a lot of people say that they are about equal in strength.

>I hate Link Joker so much.
I know the feel. I pretty much only play with friends on CFA at this point. The two friends I have that go on there even somewhat regularly both main Link Joker (one mains Messiah, the other mains Chaos). Meanwhile, I'm trying to test shitty pet builds like GC Legion and Hyakki. But from what I've experienced of the general community on there, ramming into a lock wall over and over is still more pleasant than "Oh, you're winning? I'm going to search out every trigger in my deck and move them to the top and deny it if you say anything", and "If you take longer than 15 seconds to do anything, I'm leaving", and "If you run any build of GC, Kagero, RP, SP, or LJ, no matter what the build is, you're meta trash and I refuse to play"

>I'm trying to test shitty pet builds like GC Legion and Hyakki.
Do you ever actually win against LJ with decks like that?

Yeah people complain about the cfa community all the time. I think most people just stick to playing with their friends on there. I don't use CFA because it sucks but I have seen some people use Tabletop simulator and that looked pretty good. Maybe you should try that if you want to play with strangers. No clue if there is a community for that though

I've beat LJ a couple times with Hyakki. Murakumo have an unlock oncall RG that Hyakki builds sometimes run to facilitate Hyakki Vogue's ability, and once you hit your stride, it's a full mirage deck anyways. The only way they'll be able to lock you is with Lacus Carina or that one Star-vader QW. And if you see them drive check a heal trigger, you can always go into the restand stride and get a couple RG-less swings in. Mid-late game, you'll rarely need to call RGs from hand anyways, so you can be a bit more liberal with shielding. From there, it's just a matter of attrition, and if the LJ player gets heal triggers in hand for G-Guarding.

Thinking about playing CFV. Where do I go to learn how this shit works besides the wiki?

The anime decently explains the rules, and I'm sure there are people in this thread who could help work you through some practice games on a program called Cardfight Area.

cf-vanguard.com/en/howto/pdf/vg_playbook_web.pdf

That's a link to the rulebook. You might want to look up tutorials on youtube too. Other than that all you can do is play. Playing is always the best way to get into a game and to learn about new decks.

What kind of decks have you enjoyed in other games? I can help you come up with a decent list to learn with of a similar playstyle.

I mostly played YGO during the Synchro/XYZ days, where I was running Blackwings, Wind-Up, and Speedroid. I'm a fan of really fast moving decks, so I guess I'd be playing CFV's swarm equivalent.

The three Paladin clans are a good starting point to look at.
Royal Paladins swarm with mid-power units with various effects and buff each other up. They're a swarm deck with searchable spot removal.
Gold Paladins swarm like crazy, but are limited to searching the top few cards of their deck per search. They also have lots of ways to defend.
Shadow Paladins have a bunch of expendable weak units that support/are supported by the bosses, and can stack huge amounts of power while recouping advantage.

Pretty much, do you want your knights to be heroic and versatile, sun-themed and fast, or edgy and resourceful?

Gold Paladins sound pretty cool. I'll look into the archetype for the next time I enter the card shop.

Do note, the best build of Gold Paladins is very expensive, but you can build functional casual builds for cheap.

>read to discuss and enjoy TCGs other than Magic.
>MODS!

dead

Bought a box of BT15 from coretcg for 15 dollars. Pulled
>Break Ride Draconic Overlord
>Reverse Cradle
>Venus Luquier
>Blackwinged Swordbreaker
>Holy Shrine Dragon
>Dragonic Burnout
>two (2) quintet walls, one for Kagero and one for Aqua Force
To be honest I bought it because I've never opened up a box of anything before and it was pretty cheap.

>Venus Luquier
>Dragonic Burnout
You even got your money back. $15 is a pretty good deal.

The thing is I both did and didn't. I made the value, but have no locals or place to sell them. I could just pivot and sell directly back to coretcg and maybe make 5-10 dollars profit, but at that point is it really worth it?

How do I get over my butthurt about Links?
The new rules sucks and killed most of my pet decks

You probably don't play competitively enough for it to matter if the pet decks that were already shitty got "killed"

I'm in your boat. Extra deck spam with things like X-Sabers and Gem-Knights were my jam and I really don't like the idea of having to jump through hoops for them to play "optimally".

But then, I never really cared about yugioh in years anyways but it doesn't feel good to essentially be a nostalgiafag.

Other's opinions on Fernyiges? Feel the only time I've gotten anything out of it was retiring two or more successful Traveling Momongas. Otherwise most games I never use him.

What do you even play? Windwitch Turbo?

Gem-Knights literally just got a Link that lets you FTK. X-Sabers can easily go into Missus Radiant, which increases their ATK, or Crystron Needlefiber, which Special Summons a Tuner from your deck and banishes itself to summon a Synchro Tuner from your Extra Deck during your opponent's turn.

I don't think you understand how much nostalgiafags don't want their decks to new strategies.

Anyone playing final fantasy?
Its been my first tcg and now seeing the scene die around my area