Magic the Gathering: ask a judge thread

Welcome back!

Someone asked last time about my favourite and least favourite cards. My favourite is Soldevi Sentry, just can't get enough of that little Silver Surfer X Dr. Manhattan Abomination, and while there's no card I really hate in magic, if there's one card I could remove, it would be Skullclamp.

Anyway, ask away!

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg2-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But skullclamp is one of the few ways that I'm allowed to draw cards in MonoW EDH

It's also disgustingly busted in every other format, and in half the commander decks it's in.

I run Soraya the Falconer, I understand your pain.

These threads are always great, thanks for the good work OP

anyway my question:
If I have Odric Lunar Marshal on field and my opponent kills it at the beginning of combat, does his effect still resolves? Is Odric's ability a trigger or state based?

>T2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
When you can't be as good as everybody else, make sure everybody else is crippled to your level.

do you think Jeremy should have been banned and will attention whores and beta orbiters ruin mtg forever

No worries, thanks for tuning in!

Odric has a triggered ability, so his ability will resolve if he dies in the beginning of combat step. Triggered abilities always start with the words "when", "whenever" or "at", which Odric does. State based effects are never attached to a creature, they're rules of the game that constantly check to make sure everything's OK, like making a creature with negative toughness die. I think the words you're looking for are Static Ability, which would be too wonky to work with Odric by today's standards.

I've never really enjoyed his content, so I don't watch it. I haven't really kept up with the drama for that reason. If you're looking for things that will ruin magic, if you ask the right people, everything from revised edition to energy ruined magic at some point.

If my opponent miscounts his mana while Storming what should happen?

Here is an interesting hypothetical situation I have been wondering about.

Suppose this game is happening at a GP or some other competitive REL event:

Player A has a Glyph Keeper in play. Player B plays a creature followed by a cartouche of zeal on that creature in their first main phase. As the cartouche comes down, Player B indicates that they are targeting the Glyph Keeper with the Cartouche's ETB in some way. Player A simply responds "OK". Player B declares attacks, and Player A immediately attempts to block with their Glyph Keeper. Player A reminds Player B that Glyph Keeper can't block, to which Player B responds the ability was countered.

What's the ruling in this situation and if it depends on more details please describe what you would be asking about before making the ruling. It is my understanding that you do not need to demonstrate awareness of your own triggers until it becomes relevant to the game state, so would that be at the time the trigger is on the stack getting countered (demonstrated lack of awareness by only saying OK), or at the time when blocks are being declared (demonstrated awareness by immediate attempt to block)?

Thanks for your insight.

If I made a 100% fully un-Commander deck, would you fuss at me if I wanted to use Urza as my commander? What if it was strictly within Unstable?

> Player B reminds Player A that Glyph Keeper can't block, to which Player A responds the ability was countered.

Sorry, mixed up the two players at the end.

Not him, but I think people are shitting themselves over that incident way more than they should be.

>Bimbo girl decides she wants to cosplay MtG characters so she can be a special snowflake
>Jackass asshat heckles her and acts like a shitty online troll
>Poor girl has thin skin, abloo bloo, decides to quit doing what she's doing
>[HECKLING INTENSIFIES]
>Meanwhile, on lebbit...
>Sub-lebbit mods lose their collective shit and start going full damage-control, banning people right and left, suppressing opinions and arguments and inadvertantly leading to vocal rallying
>So much screaming ensues that Wizards screams to shut the fuck up and bans LiterallyWho "Asshat" McDudester across all platforms as an immediate band-aid remedy
>Guy decides to start fracturing his identity and build up new appearances to garner more forces, as if it's some sort of political battle
>LiterallyWho "Asshat" McDudester gets asspained, claiming he has "insider knowledge" and talks as if he's going to burn down WotC with said "insider knowledge" as if he's some innocent matyr of a saint

After declaring my attackers (Garrison) and thus triggering his ability, can I meld him before/after my opponent decides his blockers? Can I meld before/after letal damage?

The whole thing has turned into some dumb fucking shitflinging contest. In my personal opinion, no, Jeremy didn't deserve to be banned, but he sure as fuck isn't the little innocent angel he keeps pretending he's being. Even despite him being an asshole, Misses Snowflake should have learned to develop some thicker skin if she was going to exist on the internet in any form or fashion. Wizards did fuck up by jumping the gun so quickly in an attempt to quiet things down and accidentally incited the equally autistic leejun in attempts to appease the screaming SJWs.

The REAL, culprits, however, that no one seems to be pointing out, are those in charge of the sub-reddit - if they didn't blow the topics out of proportion by issuing bans against anyone they didn't agree with, it wouldn't have nearly blown up to the stages it did. Hell, if they did proper moderation and simply ignored it, it would have been two groups of autists arguing and that's that. WotC wouldn't have even paid it any attention if not for the shitlord, power-tripping moderators over on Reddit. The SJWs nor the screaming Jeremy-sucking-autists would eventually get bored of arguing and go their seperate ways, but Reddit managed to fan the flames so hard that it caused actual, irreparable damage to their image as well as a dedicated player in their community. If Wizards would have been more patient, they could have let it die down, give a public statement about harrassment, yadda yadda and offered to the girl to help her find a new outlet.

I know people who are legitimately dropping everything they've invested into Magic because of this singular stint and, personally? I think it's fucking hilarious. People complain about SJWs having so much power, yet when you tuck your tail between your legs in protest and actively avoid a hobby you otherwise enjoy because of a stupid decision maybe ten idiots from Public Relations made at Wizards of the Coast, I can't see it as anything more than a tantrum.

Not Judgemanperson, but it doesn't say you can only do it at Sorcery speed, so I assume it's instant speed. According to the rulings,

>When two cards are exiled and melded, they each leave the battlefield, then return together as one new untapped object with no relation to either of the objects that left the battlefield.

Garrison is removed from combat, as it is turned into the new entity. If you're asking if you can use it to flicker-block or do it in response to a blocker being declared, the answer is yes.

I'm not the Judgeguy, but...

Most likely, at worst, he could be issued a round loss.

At the very least, if he is able to prove which cards were brought through Storm, they would be shuffled into his deck, the necessary mana would be untapped, the spell would stay in the player's hand and the game would pick back up post-cast. Some LGS might force the player to resolve their turn at that moment though.

>717.1 If a player realizes that he or she can’t legally take an action after starting to do so, the entire action is reversed and any payments already made are canceled. No abilities trigger and no effects apply as a result of an undone action. If the action was casting a spell, the spell returns to the zone it came from. The player may also reverse any legal mana abilities activated while making the illegal play, unless mana from them or from any triggered mana abilities they triggered was spent on another mana ability that wasn’t reversed.

How does dismiss into dream really work.

Thank you

You Storm or Strive your opponent field to death I guess. It's slow and complicated

As a judge, how can you prove someone posts on sites like Veeky Forums and/or voted Republican, in order to enforce WotC's behavioural policies?

I want to make sure there aren't any toxic elements at sanctioned events.

You gently ask them to show their dank memes folder. If you can prove that they posses at least one pepe image you can report them to autorities.

I wanted to post a shitty pony, but I stopped because I respect not gA

Sorta depends on when they miscount it. If they have three floating, Tendrils in hand, and no other cards, and were expecting to have four floating, then what should happen is they lose.

If they accidentally made four mana out of their Dark Ritual, then we give the player a warning, and possibly their opponent as it's both players responsibilities to maintain the gamestate, though tracking your opponent's mana can be difficult to follow sometimes. If not many decisions have happened, then a rewind may be possible, storm decks are complicated and it's unlikely. If not, we leave it as it is. If there is a possibility that a player was cheating, we will investigate.

You're right that you don't need to demonstrate awareness until it matters, and Glyph Keeper's ability doesn't matter until blockers are declared or they try to target it with a second spell/ability. It affects the gamestate in a non-visible way, at least immediately. One of the philosopies of missed triggers are you are to assume it happened until you have evidence that it didn’t.

It's definitely a feel bad situation, and at an FNM I might ask the players to be more clear with their triggers as casual events, but at comp REL this is fine. Knowledge of game rules is something we reward.

Check out blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg2-1/ for more information.

Personally? I wouldn't care. Check with your group, it's up to them. It won't fly at the side event of a GP, or your local commander league, though.

Absolutely, yes to all except after lethal damage. However, as said, he will be removed from combat. If he dies during combat, well, you won't control him, so you can't meld. If your opponent blocks him with a 3/2 you have a choice of either trading, or melding and having both your guy and theirs live.

This is a Game Play Error - Game Rule Violation. That carries a warning at competative and professional REL. A lot of complicated things happen in storm decks, and if tutors/draws/shuffles have happened, a rewind is probably more disruptive to the game state than leaving it where it is. I know, kinda sucks if your opponent gets a free mana, but it's both players responsibilities to make sure everything is going honky dory.

Gives all their dudes the subtype "Illusion", and while it's on the board if they are targeted by anything (chosen by any card or ability with the word "target" in it's text), they are sacraficed. So if you control Dismiss into Dream and I control a 10/10, if you cast a Lightning Bolt on it, or a Giant Growth, or a Mind Control, it'll die.

Personally, I am of the policy of just DQing everyone at all my events, just to be safe.

In relation to dismiss into dream, could the card itselfs' ability be counted toward target count? Seeing as the card states each creature rather than all?

>The REAL, culprits, however, that no one seems to be pointing out, are those in charge of the sub-reddit
This really. It was just two minor celebrities shitflinging and throwing their fans at each other until reddit's white knights had to fuck everything up and now TWoo is banned for no reason.
>Oh you built a prison? I guess we should kill you because you're involved with criminals!
Fucking SJWs. You shouldn't let kids who haven't been correctly socialized read 1984, they may mistake it for a bible.

You made me remember the only person I've seen get banned from a store, and it was because of politics.
>We're watching the results during Tuesday Night Modern.
>Trump has over 270 electoral votes
>It's ogre
>Guy falls down on the floor trembling and mumbling incoherently
>Owner lunges his fat fucking ass 10 feet like some leaping tiger made of lard to call 911 because he thinks the guy is having a seizure/heart attack
>By the time they arrive the asshole Guy is just weeping in a corner and has pissed himself because LE EVUL DRUMPFS GONNA LITERALLY KILL ALL GHEIS PLS HALP
>he's a fucking closet furry/ponyfag and thinks anyone actually cares
>The owner almost had a heart attack himself, was severelly scorned by the first responders and will have to move a shitload of heavy furniture to clean the carpet.
>Guy is banned forever

I havent actually gone back to play at that store myself, just go pick up my stuff and leave because I can't not smell the piss even if the carpet has been cleaned a dozen times over.

something is only a target if a card specifically says 'target'
lightning bolt targets a creature or a player, whereas a card like clip wings doesn't target anything at any time.
this is a very, very important distinction with keywords like shroud and hexproof, which prevent targeting

I don't know where to ask and didn't want to create a thread for this, but I have a question about Unstable, on Augment to be more precise.

Now, from what I have undestood, if a creature combined with augment leave the battlefield and return thanks to an external effect, I must consider it like "one" creature , while if it is put into the library, I must choose the order of the two half; the problem is that now I can't grasp what happen when it hits the graveyard, I must consider it a single creature or the two half split?

Asking because I want to know how it works with "from graveyard to field / hand" cards.

And for curiosity, if put an Augment creature on the field with something like Genesys Hydra, and there is an Host, can be targeted or it goes directly to the graveyard because I didn't pay for Augment?

Grazie in anticipo

Nope. As said, it has to specifically use the word "target". Dismiss Into Dream doesn't say "target", so it doesn't target.

Simply from the fact that "Zombified" exists, I have to say they split into two creatures once they hit the bin. Probably. Also I feel like if they didn't, it would be mentioned somewhere.

As for the second question, Maro has stated that Augments are not like auras where they can just snap on to something, and they can't exist without hosts, so if you put one on the board with Genesis Hydra, it'll be put into the graveyard as a state-based action. Unless, of course, you control a Rules Lawyer

No problemo in pastarino