EDH/Commander General

Death is Only the Beginning Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What is your favorite obscure reanimator tech?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gentrification-intensifies/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-11-17-rat-rack/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

for nath do I need elf support to actually win or can I just use discard support to grind things out

Elves aren't a necessity, but they are obviously a powerful wellspring you can tap into. With enough discard, you should be able to fuck everyone hard enough to get your win.

>What is your favorite obscure reanimator tech?
help me help you
no im not banking an insurrection, im playing group hug ;3

I can count the number of times I have successfully resolved this card's ability, on one hand. This is usually followed by another opponent playing omniscience (or some other similar high cost game ending card) who combos out and wins. For the love of christ, all I wanted was one creature.

I guess its not obscure, was it ever obscure, but man I have really been loving cauldron dance in my mairsil deck.

im dumb i put the wrong picture but thats funny either way

>obscure reanimator
I don't think there is any reanimator card thats actually obscure, just because there isn't a crazy number of them thats not worse than stuff thats already been printed.

That being said, Corpse Dance doesn't see that much play and I love the card in grixis marchesa. Can be the only card left in your hand and it will give you absurd value, as long you have a sac outlet. Plus its instant speed.

Discuss MLD.

Fuck me that's powerful. Why have I not seen this before?

Is that your best?

I don't have a lot of 6-mana slots in my white decks and most of time, it's already occupied with Sun Titan. That said, I am really fucking tempted to try this card. Maybe in my Ephara control deck since it could afford to run an extra white 6-drop.

I don't mind as long as it's clear you will be trying for land destruction and there's room for interaction outside of counterspells

>Why have I not seen this before?
It was one of Kalemne's exclusives.

It's a nice one but you mustn't forget to fill out your curve.

Oh right, no one fucking bought Kalemne.

>and there's room for interaction outside of counterspells
It's called killing them before they resolve it.

Jokes on them, her deck has the most value now with Fiery Confluence, Blade of Selves, Urza's Incubayor, and some other decent fatties.

>Blade of Selves
Did that ever take off? I was convinced it was highly overrated when it came out and everyone was wetting their panties over it. Did it end up being any good?

Fiery Confluence is fucking sexy though.

Blade of Selves is not as good as people wanted it to be, but still decent value in a fair number of decks

Urza's Incubator is where that real value is, I'm glad I bought Kalemne without actually intentionally doing it when I did

building 4c combo.dec, recommendations?

Any Commander suggestions for a deck focused on Gideon of trials , glorious end, axis of mortality? I think 3 colours is the way to go but I'm not sure which

Thrasios and Bruse Tarl?

Only one way to go. You build Yidris and storm out like a madman.

That is so simple yet so sexy. Go nuts, user.

Naya, probably.

probably shoul've said with 4c noblack

i'm putting in saheeli rai, splinter twin and tezeeret the schemer right now
bruse tarl seems not good, this isn't the kind of deck that wants him, but i'd love thrasios if he had a good boros partner (which he doesnt)

Pic related, also things like Traumatize and Keening Stone. If they haven't seen the deck, they'll think I'm playing mill until I steal their best creatures/mill myself for my own fatties to reanimate. If they have, I can force them into playing into a mill loss.

Is mill just a meme and is phenax even the best way to approach it?

Phenax is probably the best way to approach it since you can go infinite with it. Milling opponents for a finite number of cards, like with that really cute Traumatize card, generally ends up just helping them. You don't want EDH players to have a stocked graveyard.

depends how casual your meta is
eldrazi titans can also be an issue
mirko vosk +sadistic sacrament to clear lands is fun

If you run enough reanimator alongside it, mill seems viable.

Bruse Tarl is surprisingly decent. You probably won't cast him very often, but you can swing some races, and potentially crawl back into the game. Also, everyone thinks he's 100% terrible, so you'll probably get underestimated.

>Is mill just a meme
Yes, but it can be potent as a backup win with something that supports it (casting your grave into a storm combo, self-mill into Labman, mill in a reanimator deck). Phenax is a good commander if you want mill to be your main focus, or if you want a Labman win. Dralnu, Kess, and Nekusar are good for storm/mill, and Tasigur and Lazav are good for reanimator/mill. If you want a different take on mill, Circu is essentially a storm wincon on his own - just cast a shitton of spells and watch your opponents' decks disintegrate.

I use mill to get fuel for graveyard strategies. The only time it is a win con, is infinite combos.

I wouldn't run mill for the sake of it.

Mirko Vosk seems almost unplayable anywhere outside of draft. Do people really run that faggot vampire as their commander?

Self-mill is the only good mill. Your deck should be equipped to have an instant win the moment your library gets flipped upside down in your graveyard, and it doesn't even take that many cards to do it.

For fuck's sake ban Hermit Druid already, Sheldon, you fucking faggot piece of shit.

Is there any decent way to play commander online?

I live in the middle of the wilderness with no LGS or friends that play magic anywhere.

The main point is less mill and more land deprivation. Stick him early, start swinging and copying his ability, Mind Grind people, Sadistic Sacrament-type effects, Relic of Progenitus-type effects, to reach the goal of slowing down opponent land drops. Make sure to run Tainted Aether, Pox, Smallpox, Death Cloud, Blight, Contamination, Demonic Hordes, Desolation, , Flooded Woodlands, Illusionary Terrain, Infernal Darkness, Land Equilibrium, Mana Vortex, Stench of Evil, and Undercity Informer

>need three more cards to finsh the 97
>find 4 janky, but fun cards to add
>count deck again to see land/mana/ramp/draw/etc ratios
>111 cards
Is there a worse feel than having to cut more than 5 cards?

I'm all for land deprivation but there HAS to be a better way to do it than Mirko Vosk. He has about as much impact on the board as a moderately good draft uncommon.

I recommend haste enablers.

I wish I still had room for this lil guy in my Grenzo deck, fucking loved him. But most of my Grenzo win combos no longer require haste so I eventually had to cut him out.

In UB, he's the best bet due to a single swing getting 4 out of the deck, 8 with Strionic Resonator. If you want to go UBx land denial, though, I'd recommend either Damia for ramp and card draw to break parity faster, or Kess to gain more value out of your land removal and access red goodies like Burning Sands, Price of Glory, and Shivan Harvest.

Why not play white with MLD? Or any other kind of stax/stasis deck? Filling up your opponents' graveyard is too steep a price to pay for the little effect your land denial strategy is going to have.

White is obviously important for MLD, stax, and stasis, but these are options if for some reason you want to play non-white MLD/stax/stasis.

The best way my deck can combat this is murdering you ASAP so that's pretty cool.

It's the best ramp that white has

Building Edgar Markov is harder than I thought. You need lots of vampires obviously, but you also need to have answers or you'll get fucked by propaganda, crawlspace and the like. You also need rocks, and ways to protect yourself from boardwipes.

What is the correct amount of answers I need to run in this deck?

Also, since I'll almost always be the one with the most creatures (besides dedicated token decks), I probably won´t need many boardwipes, right?

Yes, having to cut 20

How long until wizards fucks over edh by making a series of enchantments or lands with the infamous text
This card can be your commander?

Not really though you really got sac up and cut some jank some times
Nothing is more important than having the right land to draw to ramp ratio
Not to mention removal

Why not do both?

>Jimplying most decks don't just run rocks anyways
Good ramp knows no color

Run graveyard hate and LOTS of it. Also jester's cap effects, to tag eldrazi outta their decks.

>bojuka bog
>nihil spell bomb
>relic of progenitus
>cranial archive
>leyline of the void
>nezumi graverobber
>agent of erebos
>ashiok nightmare weaver

and for jester's cap stuff...

>bitter ordeal
>rootwater thief
>sadistic sacrament
>praetor's grasp
>life's finale

I don't believe I'm overstating by suggesting that you get ALL of them. Graveyard decks are VERY strong and will VIGOROUSLY fuck you if you basically give them a second hand with 20 cards in it. Also, losing to the various grave shuffle effects sucks a fat one, so the exile out library effects are pretty essential.

Unless you have another sac outlet, how do you untap pod between reveillark and kiki? You need to sac reveillark first to do it.

Its pretty fun in omnath

...what's the advantage here over Bribery?

Eldrazi killed mill.

Fuck Eldrazi.

There's literally nothing wrong with Armageddon. I wish there was a spell that destroyed only lands and artifacts

The first time I cast this card, my buddy flashed in a containment priest on me. He's the same guy who had a pithing needle ready for my necropotence. I don't play those cards now.

Your buddy is a goddamn hero.

It mills. It's not a great advantage but could be useful for certain decks. Especially in certain metas.

Redundancy, and added mill that's guaranteed not to hit any creatures.

Post current deck, maybe I can learn from you.

I've had trouble myself. But I had a hard-on for Ashnod's Altar and using my token for paying off some X spell like like Exsanguinate or Banefire.
My deck is terrible, partially because I have the same hesitation as you and I don't commit to being creature-heavy like an Edgar deck should. pls no bully tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gentrification-intensifies/

You can get a lot of targeted creature removal off the abilities of some vampires that you're casting anyway, but that won't always help I guess. You still need some non-creature hate.

Also, you should run Bloodcrazed Paladin for when you suspect someone will pull a non-exile boardwipe, or if you want to run one of your own.

As far as protecting your board, Soul of New Phyrexia? It should work, can't say how well I've been able to use it myself.

Anyone have experience with +1/+1 counters Jenara? Obviously it's not as good as Atraxa, Ghave, Marath, etc, but I feel like I have enough spikey decks and I want something a bit more casual.

It's perfectly playable in a casual meta.

Building a Grusilda, Monster Masher deck because its finally a Rakdos deck I actually enjoy.

I'm mostly throwing in solid cards and creatures that have alot of opportunity to mix nicely with everyone's graveyards. Any suggestions as to what to include?

I already have the gods and Platinum Angel, but other ideas would be great!

Which grenzo we talking about? If its mono red grenzo I wouldn't mind looking at a decklist.

phage the untouchable

When talking about combos, it's generally black-red Grenzo.

Play it low to the ground with a reanimator package and go for a staxy win. The biggest vamps should break other players, your vampires should knit together to become a stax formation locking out the yard while growing huge, and should be as undying as they are in other fantasy settings. Edgar, sorin, mirror entity and yaheeni are mvps with the honorable mention of kalitas. Also play kologhans command

Looking for recommendations for Mono-black control cards or anything specific to a rack and discard strategy

list so far
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-11-17-rat-rack/

>tfw trying to find space for cards I just bought

Lark brings back Exarch.

Not on ETB, it doesn't. Only when it dies.

Right. Only ever evoked the damn thing. I mean it's still pretty cool, it's just not a same-turn thing.

Unless you have another sac outlet.

>your vampires should knit together to become a stax formation locking out the yard while growing huge

Does "stax" not mean anything anymore? Is anything that even remotely resembles a hatebear a "stax" card now?

>not playing one of the best pieces of card draw in existence because you got silver bulleted once and were too stupid to exile a bunch of cards in response to the Pithing Needle cast to dig for removal
Do you have brain problems?

Of course, but part of the elegance of this is that all you need is Pod and a two-drop, which is easily accomplishable. I tend to like free-unlimited sac outlets like Goblin Bombardment or this slick motherfucker.

He "ready for" which could mean he named Necropotence preemptively.

i also cut anger from my dungeon warden deck. it does add a lot of utility but there is a lot of other stuff competing for those slots..

also congrats on great commander taste.

In that situation you still have a regular draw step so what's the problem? Should I take out Sol Ring and Cyclonic Rift because my opponents have named them with Nevermore and I drew into them?

Probably only obscure in my playgroup

just use karmic guide instead of rev. or body double. or phyrexian delver.

you are in 5 colors. there is no effort involved.

In that situation you have a BBB dead card in a three color deck

I've been meaning to get into Commander due to a lot of friends I know playing it. Is this guy viable in the grand scheme of things? It seems like it'd be fun to make a lot of tokens, equip him with some shit and just blow through points.

i love stitch together. it definitely doesn't get enough play.

soul exchange is similar and very underplayed. altho saccing a creature is a real limitation.

my choice is the one and only red reanimation spell.

Wrong pic

>mono-white
i suggest you try something else first. mono-white is really hard to do. odric is cool though.

cockatrice is pretty good. maybe eventually when MTG arena is up and running it will have an option, but who knows.

nightcreep + reap get on my level

Then you keep playing the game normally until you draw into removal or someone else wipes the board for other reasons. A Pithing Needle on Necropotence has virtually the same card disadvantage as someone casting a Counterspell on Necropotence, except it's temporary and you haven't even paid mana for it. You wouldn't take out an incredibly good card from your deck just because someone counters it, neither should you if someone names it with Pithing Needle.

Arena will never add the entire history of cards in MtG. At best it will be a Standard/draft simulator, with a very slight chance of Frontier if that format catches on in the distant future.

No one is going to help you get rid of the Needle. They will in fact hinder any attempts at doing so. You have a limited number of card slots and if your meta has hate against activated abilities, it's only smart to play the meta. Thw difference between that and counterspells is that every deck can run Needle effects.

Are you retarded? Necro is a damn good card, even if someone plays Pithing Needle. Obviously you're not going to play Necropotence, if someone already has named it with Needle. In any case, unless somehow someone manages to flash in Pithing needle in response to your Necro, you're going to end up benefitting from it anyway.
I have never seen as bad arguments as yours, and I've wasted over 10 years of my life in this shithole of a website.

Link the post where I said it was a bad card nigger. I said it was useless in the scenario described and that if his playgroup is already that tuned to eachothers decklists his best bet would be to run a less easier to disrupt engine.
>10 years
newfag

Are equipments worthless? I have bunch in my deck, but I've yet to use any in the dozen games I've played and since my deck kinda focusses on getting as many cards into the graveyard as fast as I can, I wonder if I should ditch them.

Also, good senseless looting type cards for mono-red? Already have Tibalt and Daretti.

To not run Necro out of fear of Pithing Needle is like not running Sol Ring because some players run Vandalblast or Stony Silence.

The card is good enough that the crushing victories it brings you far, FAR outweigh the inconvenience of having it occasionally be a dead card.