/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
It's winter time! Post some snow mechs! edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-12-10 - Still getting worked on & now has 21038 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-11-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

>Aerospace units that detonate a Booby Trap in space inflict no damage on nearby units. Airborne units that activate a booby trap inflict damage on other airborne units that are in the same hex on the Low Altitude map. The other airborne unit must make a control roll/piloting skill roll when the booby trap activates. Should that roll fail, the airborne unit takes damage equal to one eighth the engine rating of the booby trapped unit.

So basically no fun allowed in the air by design. It does 60 AoE if it's sitting next to a mech but 2 capital damage to a DS in the same hex in the air and only at low altitude. Or 15 to an enemy fighter.

Lot meaner on ground maps.

First for Holding Purple Burd Buttes

But user purple burd chicks are pure.

pure EVIL

As I said in the other thread, just fly Eisensturm squadrons. They will deal more damage per turn any way and they get to come home.

Having only done mech-on-mech action in the nearly 2 decades I've been playing BattleTech on and off, I'd like to expand into more combined arms. Any suggestions for a start? Do I go with vehicles, infantry, aerospace, 2 or more of the above? And whichever is a good start, is there anything in particular that would a better start than others? Say, artillery tanks rather than speedy hover tanks, or battle armour rather than regular infantry?

Add one thing at a time. I would use Vees first because their rules are the most similar to 'Mechs, then Battle Armour, then Infantry, then Artillery, then ASF as those are the more complex or time-consuming things to use.

I can't wait until somebody rewrites squadrons to not be broken shit. Whether that's weapon rounding, capital targeting, or AoE damage, we need something.

Vehicles are the obvious choice. Grab some cheap fast hovers, missile boxes, VTOL's and tanks and have fun. Expand into the other stuff later. Infantry are too niche for general stuff, too slow and take up a lot of time to move since they're so cheap and aero is complex to fly on a ground map.

Which purple burd chicks are we talking about?

Unlike the other states, you get a wide selection.

The ones that ride giant space tigers like He-Man.

>AES costs tonnage, and doesn't go in the legs (only lights and mediums get it, which is BS) so I went for the interface cockpit as the next best thing.

Yeah, but AES in sword arm would mean that that 9 point hit would have a -3 to hit. At that point, you really really wanna drive yourself close to hit it with your sword.

>The Foxes are the ones you have to go to in order to buy new parts and ammo.

If you took the factory complex then YOU make the parts and ammo.

Post Purple Burd Buttes or you never held them.

For the stuff in that complex, sure.

Congratulations, plant SF#107 manufactures LB-10X ammo. Now they're pissed off at you and are jacking up the prices on GR and LRM ammo, so have fun supplying all your Mad Cat Mark IIs.

>Treb
>Smokes
>Scars
>Rocking bod

Regulan Waifu/10

Did Inker ded? Haven't seen him around in awhile.

The complexes make everything for that particular model. Sure you're fucked out of maintaining your Madcat Mk II's and Koshis and whatnot if you bought them in the past, but you make Jade Hawks or whatever now. And can use the spare weapons off those to refit your own other machines. Just look how much stuff the Davions did with a single Clanspec laser plant.

Vehicles it is. Thank you.

A great fluffy way to get into using vees, by the by, is to actually play Taurian forces, since they attach vehicle maniples to mech companies. They've got a decent selection of vees to use in most eras and its a good fluffy excuse to run vees alongside mechs.

Of course, you can just do whatever you'd like, but trying to give fluff choices for ya.

In question of butts, taurians have the best ones.

>See all this Sea Fox shit being made on Tukayyid
>Remember the world is gifted back to Comstar sometime in 3090's
>Apparently Sea Foxes were still there having all the good stuff like orbital warship yards and the old comstar mech factories cranking out clantech
>Becomes a Ghost Bear Domnion world again with no explanation sometime after 3139

What level of fuckery is this? Is this one of those CGL Black Thorns tier fuckups or is it explained in some novel I haven't read yet?

is that the AT&T girl?

The what?

AFAIK the SharkFoxes just have enclaves on those worlds and the Bears probably just let them be. So even if it is a continuity fuck-up it's not going to matter.

MoC only has a single battalion of mechs in each of their regiments everything else is vehicles.
FWL have their 2/3 tank fast raider companies.
Davion is muh RCT
Capellans have a light tank company to assist in a fight on every single world
Kurita are 5/1 tankers with the Azami hovermasters being special.

Taurians aren't unique or numerous in that way.

>Did Inker ded? Haven't seen him around in awhile.

He updated his tumblr on the 3rd. I imagine he's just ramping up for Christmas like the rest of us.

>The what?

is asking if is Milana Vayntrub.

The question is "How did Comstar lose that world? It's the only one they got." Can't be RotS fuckery. All that happened underneath Fortress.

No, but as far as I am aware, most forces separate their vee and mech forces, while the Taurians do not. That's why I emphasized fluffy deployments. Anyone can deploy a company of vees, but few people have vees integrated into their mech companies by default.

>most forces separate their vee and mech forces

The ones I listed literally don't. Especially the MoC and the FWL.

Rasalhague wants the Big Bear Cock, and Tukayyid was a Rasalhague world. QED.

>MoC only has a single battalion of mechs in each of their regiments everything else is vehicles.
I realise you're meming but please don't. People that don't know any better believe what gets said in these threads and repeat it later as canon.

Not Tukayyid. The Bears stole it in '72 with the rest of the place.

Fair enough, I'm not as familiar with the MoC deployment doctrine. They're a good choice too, hope that user uses some of those choices.

I dunno, its some random Turra than had a shapely bottom, doubt its her.

That is literally what's stated in old and new Periphery sources. Go read them.

He's alive but no more freebies I don't think, now you gotta pay. He's returned to the artstream from whence he came

Everything from at least FM:P on stipulates 3 battalion 'Mech regiments per standard organisation.

user above was saying it was given to ComStar in the '90s then went back to the Bears after that. IDK what's going on.

Doesn't matter, the MoC literally acquired more mechs in the 3050s than the Word of Blake did in the 3050s and 3060s combined. But they're not Sues.

3 Battalions per regiment. Only 1 is mechs. The other 2 are armor and/or infantry.

Even HB:MPS outright states one of the battalions is always armor. It carries straight on through from 1629 through the CGL era.

Considering the Wobbies got retconned to a full 1/3 of Phoenix production to fill out their militia, mirror and shadow divisions, I'm not sure that holds true.

We could crunch it out though.

Crunch it out if you'd like, I would be curious to see the actual figures. I was being a faggot and using "literally" incorrectly.

>We could crunch it out though.
We're on an Maori number crunching BBS, what do you think we should do?

What you're saying may have been correct once but if so hasn't been the case for a long time.

>WoB built 11 regiments or more after taking Terra before the Jihad even started, and then spat out like 30 more divisions, partial or complete on top of that
>MoC has 16 regiments total
>MoC totally has more :^)
It's fine to hate on a faction, mang. Just at least be honest when you bitch about their shit.

>for a long time.

Handbook Major Periphery States is set in 3067. It came out in the middle of the Jihad era. The only possible time they could have changed is in the Dark Age.

FM: P, user. Many years before the Jihad.

And nothing about "Hey you gals, we just upgraded from one 'Mech battalion per regiment to three! THREE! What an exciting time to be a Canopian!" which you'd expect if it had happened at any time in recent history.

I think if I looked back to Brush Wars and shit it would be in there too to set the date back further but I knew it would be in FM: P.

FM:P is older than HB:MPS which means even if you were right, they retconned it back or FM:P was a fuckup.

Since 90% is copypasted from the FM:P section except stops at Battalion when talking standard, then I lean to the second since additional clarification and making it line up with the old material makes the most sense.

Also, just read the passage in HB: MPS on p. 84. It just says that MAF regiments have at least one vee battalion attached as support, not that they're one 'Mech batt, one vee batt, and one infantry batt each.

Either you've mis-read the book or you're quoting some very old (P1E?) material that hasn't been canon in a very long time. Going back to at least the 20-Year Update they've had full 'Mech regiments like everyone else.

Even *if* HB: MPS says what you claim (it doesn't, at best it just specifies how many units are in a battalion, and then the individual unit entries specify how many battalions are in a regiment) we then have a source after that date saying they use full Regiments (FR: P, FM: 3085, FM: 3145).

If it was ever true it hasn't been since at least the 20-Year Update, probably earlier.

That's actually only in the Lancer regiments, the rest use a more traditional separate formations arrangement

actually P2e bears it out, quoting them as 'doubling their number of mechs to twelve regiments', and when you count the listed formations with that in mind, it adds up perfectly

>tfw you lost the Purple Burd Waifu images

Which ones? Describe them.

I swear there was another version of 's pic with a chick in a black & white uniform.

What advice do you have for a completely new player, /btg/?

Gotcha bro

Honestly? Find someone who knows the game, at least a little, and learn from them. BattleTech is best played with friends in a group and is best learned from someone who knows it, it's like an old style trade in this respect.

If this is not an option, your best bet is to find the 25th Anniversary starter box on eBay and buy it. It'll be pricey but split it with a friend who wants to play too. Someone can post NEA's lance suggestions for that box and you can use the starter guide in the box to learn from. It's honestly pretty good for this sort of thing.

Looking at 20YA, only the Fusiliers and the Chasseurs seem to have full regiments. Everything else is busted up into mech Batts. They have 10 state regiments there after "losing" a little more than 2 mech regiments net since 3025. 1692 treats the old stuff as battalions unless the Canopians got their teeth kicked in between 3050 and 3059

So to answer user's question, assuming the merc forces stay the same size, the amount of extra mechs the Canopians got between 3050 and 3059 is around

The whole mess is people not paying attention between books really. FM:P gives them 15 regiments state in 3063. They get an extra two out of their ass by 3067 from some nationalized militia from Thraxa and Addasar.

So current retcons included, state only, no mercs.

3025: 8.6 regiments mechs (1629, assuming regiments)
3039: 13 regiments mechs (Brush Wars)
3050: 10 regiments mechs (20 Year Update)
3059: 13 regiments mechs (1669)
3063: 15 regiments mechs (Field Manual Periphery)
3067: 17 regiments mechs (Field Manual Updates)
3079: 15 paper regiments, 11 regiments mechs (Field Report Periphery)
3085: 15 regiments mechs (Field Manual 3085)
3145: 18 regiments mechs (Field Manual 3145)

Considering the complete ass raping the robes gave the MoC, the 3079 numbers look fucked to me. I mean, the Blakists ran roughshod over the whole place with just 2 Divisions.

>Someone can post NEA's lance suggestions for that box

I'm being useful while I procrastinate. How do I still have two more toilets to clean?

Crap, hit post before I finished. 3 regiments net for the 3050's with a command lance on each is about 336 mechs. Compared to the Blakists who got a whole lot more than that.

>How do I still have two more toilets to clean?
Are you a janitor? If so, can you scrub some threads while you're at it?

Also, thanks for that PDF, it's good stuff.

>Are you a janitor?

My daughter (future mechwarrior) is having a sleepover this weekend. Need to make sure any of the three toilets accessible by the guest look ... presentable.

>If so, can you scrub some threads while you're at it?

Remember where we are? I doubt most janitors report for duty in hazmat suits.

>a sleepover
Gods save your soul, man.

user, which book is this art from, please?

Brush Wars. That book has a ton of different artists though, so some is good and some is terrible.

I like all the art that has heart though, even the really old stuff from the 80's.

are mech museums a thing?

Based on what we've heard about Mackies in later eras, yes they are. I don't know much about them but they seem to be a thing.

Hell yeah.

IIRC, there's a lyran unit full of reenactors running around in museum pieces in 3145.

>I mean, the Blakists ran roughshod over the whole place with just 2 Divisions.

IIRC the Blakists didn't outright take over the whole MOC. They went in and took ~6 worlds, one of which was Crimson. They fucked Crimson pretty hard, but I don't recall there being a lot of pitched battles between Canopian defenders and the Robes. I thought the Canopians just ceded the worlds and ran off because they weren't fighting against 1-4 odds and with a tech disadvantage to boot.

Side question: weren't there like 5 regiments serving in the CapCon? If there were 17 actual regiments in 3067, 5 of them were out of state, there were only 12 in-state during the Jihad. Since there were only 15 paper regiments and only 11 actual regiments left in 3079, that indicates that 6 of the 12 in-state regiments were destroyed (leaving 6, plus the 5 regiments out of state).

A 50% destruction rate, from the regiments which were actually in the MOC during the Jihad and therefore actually opposed the Robes, is pretty fucking serious.

>A 50% destruction rate, from the regiments which were actually in the MOC during the Jihad and therefore actually opposed the Robes, is pretty fucking serious.

That fact that it's only 50% is proof of the MOC's Sueness. It should have been 100%, if not higher.

They ate the whole damn cake back in 3068. 50ly blackout radius around Canopus to start then dumped the rest of them in the dark with the White Out the next year.

The MoC actually formally surrendered to the Blakists in 3069. Very little fighting. It was when the Magistrix called up the rebels to action in 3071 that everything went to hell and the Blakists burned the capital to the ground. That's when the Blakists really started razing worlds. And that continued until the Capellans drove them out in 3075.

That user (asking about vees earlier) plays Star Adder, Comstar/Wobbies, and Wrasslehogs. Time to hit the MUL.

Forgot my pic.

Well, don't know anything about the Starsneks or Hoggies, but as a ComGuard faggot I know some of how they deploy. Vees are often added straight into Level 2 formations as necessary/desired. They don't have distinct "vee only" forces, they tend to be mixed Level 2s/3s. For instance, during Tukayyid, the ComGuard had a wide variety of mixed forces, with fast hovers often used in light Level 2s and some heavier elements (Vedettes and Alacorns were both very common) mixed in appropriate Level 2s. It would be unusual, but not unknown, to see a vee-only Level 2. Mech-only Level 2s are more frequent. Mixed seems to be the way the ComGuard deploys though.

Citation: I played in the RAT-accurate Battle of Tukayyid scenarios at cons a few years ago. I was in every single scenario for most of the day each time and had extended conversations about ComGuard deployments with the GMs.

Note: I don't know how the Blakists deploy forces. I imagine it is fairly similar to the ComGuard, but I really don't know, don't quote me.

>That's when the Blakists really started razing worlds.

So then why is there an MOC left?

Cause patron author. Like they conveniently forgot all the millions upon millions of people brainwashed to Blakism in the MoC in the intervening years and the suborning of local militia to WoB.

come on, we all know why

auxiliary xin sheng

No valid reason. They should have been consigned to the ash-heap of history. But instead, they join the list of states allowed to exist for no good reason and which actively make the game a worse place by their existence, just like the Capellan Confederation, Lyran Alliance, Wolf's Dragoons, and the Federated Suns.

Every fan of the MOC and every fan of every faction, so-called, on that list should be ashamed of themselves. It's your patronage and the patronage of shitpiles like you that enables Catalyst and its criminal masters. You're fucking killing the game for everyone else, you selfish fuckstains.

So, because of my special brand of autism, I decided to crack open FM:ComStar to see what it has to say about deployment of forces. It turns out that, among ComStar's twelve armies at this point (3062), *all* of them are earmarked as Infantry- or Mech-dominated divisons. However, it makes the following point at the beginning, "Each type of unit is indicated by one of the following symbols, but it should be noted that combined arms dominate the Light Horse, Nova Cat, Com Guard, and Word of Blake structures; thus, such icons indicate the dominant force in the unit." It also turns out that the ComGuard have a complex division formation table given in FM:ComStar that details how many Mech, Armor, Infantry, and Aerospace assets are in each division (all divisions have armor units, from 4 in Alpha divisions to 54 in Omega divisions) and it goes on to note that "armor plays an integral part in ComStar forces."

So, as of 3062, your buddy is well encouraged to use combined arms Level 2s of ComStar/WoB forces. I can even give citations about specific armies, if he wants, though Field Manual: ComStar would be a good read for him anyway.

Please tell me you used the infamous rooftop Alacorns. Those always cracked me up.

No, but we did use hilltop Alacorns and the ramming Vedettes. At least one Vedette rammed a clan mech, lived, and then rammed another one (it didn't survive ram #2). Alacorns really are great though. They did well at both cons, all con long. Turns out, triple GRs are pretty good. Who knew?

Everyone got massively BTFO by the WoB to explain why militaries in the DA era were a third or so what they were back in 3067. It gets even more egregious when you look at the AFFS/LAAF who got pounded in the FCCW and were already small compared to the other nations. They lost a lot less on a percentage and pure basis.

Story time?

I've heard this before, but never seen a source. I remember some fluff from BC stories about the parts of MIM being compromised and the was one weird story where the Blakists were doing bizarre overly complicated shit...

There's fluff about the Magistracy having their usual idea of keeping their head down and cooperating until its time to strike back, but I don't recall mass brainwashing

The ironic thing with the MoC is they're BIGGER in the DA while everyone but the Caps are below 3025 levels. And the Caps are at about 3025 Lyran levels.

As for story time, it's just a thing out of the old Tukayyid scenario book, where Comstar had big helicopters putting Alacorns on rooftops for better field of fire with their whole big dick trap thing.

The Willy Coyote stuff they thought up is pretty funny. It's a book worth reading. If I was a clanner, I'd swear off honest combat with the Inner Sphere forever after stuff like Devil's Bath too.

It's the story where the House Imarra dude from the Capellan novels gets shanked. Plus also the canon scenarios from the hotspots books where you're a merc dropping in to a blacked out Canopian world and the locals have gone robe.

>but I don't recall mass brainwashing

All the re-education camp stuff is in 3070 and 3072. They were doing the same stuff in the coreworlds too. That's where Stone came from.

Ah. I was wondering if there was anything else. I'll have to look through that again.

I knew about them in the Inner Sphere, but I had never heard of them in the Magistracy specifically. Millions upon Millions would be entire planetary populations in some cases.

That one story talks about how they were shipping in regular joe functionary Blakists from other areas by the thousands to help convert planets. Enough people to monitor everyone's communications and if you did anything untoward, you got sent to re-education. Then have all the people to run everything outside of that.

Since Blakists already had the old Comstar contracts in the MoC, it wasn't as hard as you might think. There's a lot of personnel to pull from when you already run the local rentacops, the main bank and currency exchange, the mail, the tv, the radio. Slip in a bunch of Wraiths to direct things and you got a pretty solid base of operations. People forget how far the C*/WoB reach is outside the HPG compounds.

Just makes stuff like the old Operation Scorpion even more of a colossal fuckup.

Could anyone give me a low-down of the Geno-Types of the Clans' Warrior Caste? I know that there are three(Mechwarrior, Elemental, and Pilot), but where do I find their descriptions? I see people in this general always saying that Elementals are built like a six-foot shit-brick house, but I don't find much in the Warriors of Keresnky book, nor Guide to the Clans.

Dont have to spell it out to me, if you just direct me to a book, thatll be fine.

Also,
>that feel when no Clanner GF

>>that feel when no Clanner GF
Thank the gods.

They're in the core RPG books, MW 2nd Edition, MW 3rd Edition/CBTRPG, and ATOW.

Elementals are fucking jacked. 2.5 metres is considered *short* for them, one of the eventual Nova Cat Khans mopes about it a bit in that novel with the Northwind Highlanders because he's a comparative midget.

mfw I find out Harmony Gold is suing someone AGAIN

Fuck that Manletmental, Santin West. It disgusts me that the Bears had the honor of snuffing him out.

>six-foot brick shithouse
Maybe for the runt of the sibko.

From MechWarrior 3rd Edition, Elemental Phenotoype:
"Elementals are huge compared to other warriors, standing from 2 to 2.5 meters tall and disproportionately muscular, making them massively heavy as well."

And from Field Manual:Crusader Clans there's the Elemental Star Colonel who's outside the norm at the high end of the scale "Standing nearly 3 meters tall and weighing more than 500 kilograms..." outside of his armor. For comparison, 6 feet is just under 1.83 meters, and 500 kilograms is half a ton. Elementals are monstrous flesh mountains, terrible to behold. And then they put on a suit, tank large laser hits and pull the armor off of 'mechs.

The more than 500kg thing is retarded. Even that Halfthor strongman guy is 2.06m tall and ~180kg. I could maybe buy 300kg, but FASA's inability to into the metric system strikes again there.

Your forgot your image.

Right then, Ill download 3rd ED Mechwarrior I guess.

Skimmed through ATOW, and all it did was give me the rules for the phenotypes.

Also, Ghost Bear Clanner piloting a Shadowhawk IIC 2, Y/N?

>Not wanting a battle waifu that gets culture shock from the non-Clan life styles of the IS and proceeds to go native.
Sad!