Arms and Armor Thread

Examples from any time period or setting are welcome.

This is a thread for discussing and posting weapons, armor, and related equipment.
Stories and ideas are also welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2016/12/chinese-siege-tower.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've seen Chinese jians with long thin blades, haven't seen many with shorter wider ones that could cut a bit better.

Interestingly, the Chinese did have mail armour, and it was a bit more common during the Ming Dynasty.

More Chinese mail armour

Is there any point to the blade widening at the tip?

These are fucking hideous

See that's what I don't get about people claiming the bat'leth is impractical in real situations.

They're right, but the bat'leth seems more like an "honourable" dueling weapon like those shields. It's not meant for pitched warfare.

Also more Chinese armour.

>See that's what I don't get about people claiming the bat'leth is impractical in real situations.
the dueling shield is impractical in real situations. It's made to be impractical. That's a judicial duel.

Also the bat'leth was also made impractical by the klingons so only who are top pros can use it effectively.

another picture of the less commonly seen chinese mail

>the dueling shield is impractical in real situations. It's made to be impractical. That's a judicial duel.
Yeah that was my point, the bat'leth is basically the Klingon version of the dueling shield
>Also the bat'leth was also made impractical by the klingons so only who are top pros can use it effectively.
Yeah, fuck those peasants.

Also, a very heavy Chinese armour called "Iron Pagoda." Guess why?

a reconstruction of the armour

Qing dynasty art of mail armour

I still can't believe this is an actual helmet.

Does anyone has more info or images of this "double bow"? Just found out about it.

For jousting, if I recall correctly?

Dueling shields were basically instruments to translate god's judgement into the duel with more fidelity by equally hobbling both participants.

The Klingons didn't care for equality between peers or god's judgement becoming manifest through ritual actions, I think, and their version of honour is basically the anything goes japanese civil war era period one.

yep. Most of the "can't see shit" helmets are for jousting

see that bomb in the cage?

it was naughty. Had to be taught a lesson.

kickass

yeah it kind of reminds me of Siegmeyer

>are you a knight or a dragon
>yes

>Interestingly, the Chinese did have mail armour, and it was a bit more common during the Ming Dynasty.
I believe the Tang were the first to treat mail as something more than an exotic foreign import. There are even some theories that "mountain pattern" scale is actually an artistic rendition of mail.

This is fake.

>
The Mrang Hwa Jiu Gjyi (猛火油櫃) or the Fierce-Fire Oil Tank was the ancient Chinese double-piston pump flamethrower used during Sung Dynasty. The double-piston pump flamethrower comprised of a rectangular container and a brass tube on top of the container. The soldier would pull the piston back and forth to spray a continuous stream of flame. The piston-bellows inside the container would pump the flammable liquid up to the brass tube where a gunpowder spark would ignite the liquid before sending it to the enemy. The container was probably filled with something like petrol or naphtha. The Sung Dynasty soldiers would probably put these flamethrowers on top of city walls so that they could use the flamethrowers to repel enemy sieges.

yeah I thought it looked a little weird but it looked cool so I posted it.

It took many a year before the Chinese figured out the spikes should be inside the casing of bombs

The Osprey series are a poor source of information for Ming armaments.

I just used Google, don't know where these are from most of the time.

I don't know what the heck this is for though.

the chinese got weird with half their shit

Mobile observation tower. The rope is that you can let the observation dudes down again.

Isn't this just a siege tower?
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2016/12/chinese-siege-tower.html

just looks really funky to me

the chinese and the indians are usually like Oglaf dwarfs when it comes to inventing weapons