Arms and Armour thread

continuing from previous thread
with pictures from Philipp Mönch's kriegsbutch then we dwell into other stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

diyworkplace.com/31-spring-crossbow.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the end for kriegsbutch, now let's go into burgonets as asked

Does anyone know anything about this "crossbow"? (it might be more like an "arrow projector" or something technically)

Google has had nothing valid. The only thing I can maybe tell about it is that it might be Swiss, due to being overengineered and also the lil' red cross.

looks like a spring crossbow but don't quote me on that

Well yeah but I mean besides that. Googling Spring Crossbow doesn't really bring up anything helpful on that specific design, with no arms or anything, as that's what I'm mainly interested in.

well, spring crossbows doesn't have arms. like this one
diyworkplace.com/31-spring-crossbow.html

I hadn't seen that, p neat.

Main reason I was interested in it is because I designed one up for a d&d character and was wondering how functional it might be, interestingly that one is actually a bit close to the design I made. (The only "magic" bit, that blue seal, is an auto-crank. Other than that it should, at least in theory, be fully functional- though I don't know if the velocity would be any good)

Asked this in the last thread, but what is that from?

well the strength is comes from the spring, so it's plausible to have it in strong enough version. Especiall if it's for DnD. Especially if magic is involved

Well typically all the shit I design I try to do so in such a way that it'd be plausible to build, though maybe a bit fragile. Saying "it's magic" always feels like a cheap cop-out for mechanical devices.
Like this Folding Glaive/camp machete- it'd be fully functional in reality, and if made with modern machining and material it SHOULD be decently durable, but as soon as it got some dirt or blood in the hinges it'd likely go to shit.

>Like this Folding Glaive/camp machete- it'd be fully functional in reality, and if made with modern machining and material it SHOULD be decently durable, but as soon as it got some dirt or blood in the hinges it'd likely go to shit.
fun fact: every machinery has that problem.

Not every. Just most.

Self-cleaning hinges and valves are a thing, I personally don't know how they work but seeing them in action at a factory I used to work at was pretty impressive.

Supposedly this AK still functions. Seems a bit far fetched to me.

>Self-cleaning hinges and valves are a thing
those have this problem too but in a different manner. Everything will be fucked up if not cared for. no exception. The difference is how long time it takes.
Self cleaning only means it takes a lot more time and/or that you don't need specific chemicals or stuff to do the cleaning and there might be an automatic process for it.
But obviously another factor is how simple is the design, because complex ones are way harder to fuck up. An AK is as simple as it gets for an automatic weapon

Thank you for these burgonets!

roight dakka dat iz

Why did Polish Hussars carrry on using their signature super-long lances for so long when most other European heavy cavalry had switched to pistols in the later 1500s. Especially as they did also often carry a brace of cavalry pistols in addition to the lance.

Was it because they were fighting more lightly armoured enemies such as Cossack revolts, Tartars and Turks?

Worky bits seem to be intact.

One question needed to be answered is how far did the pike and shot tactics reach in eastern Europe? Did the Moldovians, Livonians, and Russian princedoms use pike squares? My answer is no, and the Turks did not as well. Without the defense of pikes, a lance charge of heavy cavalry will be effective.

Of course, they must have faced some pike squares later on in Germany or when the Swedes rumbled in Poland.

Perpetual motion for an elevated fountain? Top kek I hope someone tried to pay for this

>or when the Swedes rumbled in Poland.

Polish military matters when the Swedes showed up were almost purely a cavalry affair, specifically chasing after raiding cossacks and tartars. They had some serious issues wrapping their minds around infantry being a fighting force when the Swedes first showed up. At one point a Polish force broke and fled without ever giving battle when the Swedish infantry started advancing towards them. It was simply too preposterous a move to stick around. The lance at this point may be something of a holdover from conflicts around the start of the century.

Later on they did get somewhat used to infantry, and the charge of the heavy hussars reliable smashed whatever unit of infantry were in their way (I'm not saying Swedish infantry, because plenty were Scottish and German mercenaries). Unfortunately for them the Swedish army was built on rapidly manoeuvring units and reserves, so as the unsupported Polish cavalry milled around re-forming and wondering what to do next after their first successful charge they usually ended up being shredded by a well-orchestrated crossfire.

Somebody was curious about this one.

>is this from something?

read the filename of the image.

so why is the perspective bad in these advertisements? Was it pawned off to the younger members or was it before the laws of perspective popularized

In some cases I think they just wanted to show the entire mechanism. Realistic perspective would have hidden certain parts, which isn't great when you want to show off all the cool shit you can make.

But when it comes to stuff like the perspective on the cannon barrels, I think they just sucked at drawing.

Perspective wasn't really a thing for a long, long time.

taking requests for the next hour while I put off studying

Because he wasn't selling himself as somebody who knows the methode of drawing images using the central perspective, for one.

For another these illustrations were meant to present what they were selling in a way that would still require whoever wanted the shit to actually purchase their services. The drawings were crooked and incomplete on purpose.

That practice of incomplete technical drawings almost prevented prehistory from ending as the Pilgrim Fathers found that using maps of the North American coast that were deliberately left incomplete by their publishers put them in a bit of a pinch during their journey.

Falchions, messers, makhairas, falcatas, daos, and the like. Hacking and slashing swords for the everyman.

what the fuck is that

You drew that? Very nice.

Mind if I steal it for a character I'm working on?

Some random shit by me, if you don't mind.

A drill. He even shows it piercing a wooden gate there. Its crank doubles as a crowbar, an auger and a saw.

that's the last of my choppy swords, I've got peasant armor if that's any consolation

Hey, padded jackets and the like are cool.

on it

I've always been really dubious of this design. Is it attested anywhere other than the Morgan bible?

Don't think so. Could be that the artist fucked up 'claw' tip.

as far as I know, no. Guys I've talked with that have used them say they work fairly decently, just a bit unwieldy, which you'd expect from their design. The hook pommel makes sure that it doesn't slip out of your hand when you swing it, due to the weight at the end

Corinthian barbute looks very cool. Very Italian.

modo antiquo is my one of my favorites, i'll post the rest I have when I get the chance

should probably remember the pictures

Moar choppy?

The sources point towards the francophone swiss

"Ressorts hélicoïdaux comme source d'énergie?" from a forum called thearbalistguild.forumotion.stfi.re which is apparently dead.

Guess you'd have to trawl through swiss francophon archery mags to get any actual results.

I've some fancy swords, but am sadly bereft of more choppy. I tend to save more armor than weapons

As in, I can post some more choppy.

How well would Bronze Age armor designs convert to Iron or Steel? Given the appropriate technology to create effect plates of the same size. Mainly talking about stuff like on the right of pic related, not the Dendra panoply.

time for modo antiquo, an Italian style that tried to emulate the romans and greeks...

they were not very successful

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Not really the most efficient design, but still.