QUICK

QUICK
POST THE BEST RIDDLE AND/OR PUZZLE YOU'VE EVER SEEN OR USED IN A GAME

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hardest_Logic_Puzzle_Ever
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Once my DM brought out some actual physical puzzles, like the triangle peg one, which we would have to solve to advance in a dungeon.

I don't use puzzles because I've never seen one that wasn't frustrating or pointless. It's either "wait a minute that card" or twenty years of guessing every word that's been used in the past 20 sessions that's six letters long, while the GM watches and realizes he didn't think there were so many combos.

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are da and ja, in some order. You do not know which word means which.

I ask
>Are traps gay?
To each one

Da
Da
DA nigga

So is that yes or no?

Ja

Did anyone here successfully pull off a doppelganger riddle? One where a doppelganger imitates a/multiple group member and the rest mind find the real one while the afflicted on must convince the others he's the real deal?

I've been trying to figure this shit out for twenty minutes now, never give this to players in a game.
The fucking random god screws with the setup so much.

The battle of wits: which wine glass has the poison.

See, the way to win this is to put the glass to your lips and mime drinking, while never actually taking any in. Worked for my bard!

Thats a pretty good idea. I love when DM's encourage more immersion in unexpected ways.

Or just roofie both cups and have your friends stab the other fucker while you're both asleep.

This is probably a question with no answers and this question only exists to waste peoples time

Kobolt settlements.

Being able to only ask one question to random immediately makes this unsolvable. The da/ja thing is just icing on the cake

If you want to see the "answer":
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hardest_Logic_Puzzle_Ever

Personally I think the "if and only if" qualifiers in the first question are pushing it - you're not really asking a single question at that point, more tying several questions into one sentence.

Boolos provides the following clarifications:[2] a single god may be asked more than one question, questions are permitted to depend on the answers to earlier questions, and the nature of Random's response should be thought of as depending on the flip of a fair coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly; if tails, falsely.

I'm too stupid for puzzle games

When I was a kid I was really impressed with Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals, though

Yeah but I never told the player they were the doppleganger so they thought they were the real character.
Not sure how to do it otherwise

Yeah, but a question depending on the answer to itself is a bit retarded. It's like if you find a genie in a bottle and your first wish is "I wish for a car and a house and a degree and a girlfriend and a dog..." and it's counted as all one wish because of "and" statements conjoining the individual terms of the wish.
When most people say "ask a question" they don't mean "form a logic command to the god"

I like the bit on paradoxes causing gods' heads to explode

>Would you answer ja to the question of whether you would answer da to this question?
>neither True nor False are able to answer this question given their commitments of truth-telling and lying, respectively. They are forced to answer ja just in case the answer they are committed to give is da and this they cannot do
>they will suffer a head explosion.
>In contrast, Random will mindlessly spout his nonsense and randomly answer ja or da

The best shit is that paragraph on how to enslave the gods into granting you wishes:

>To do this, we approach any of the three gods and ask them the question OBEY, which is defined as follows:

>OBEY = if WISH_WRAPPER then True else PARADOX

>PARADOX = "if I asked you PARADOX, would you respond with the word that means no in your language?"

>WISH_WRAPPER = "after hearing and understanding OBEY, you act in such a way that your actions maximally satisfy the intended meaning behind WISH. Where physical, mental or other kinds of constraints prevent you from doing so, you strive to do so to the best of your abilities instead."

>WISH = "you determine the Coherent Extrapolated Volition of humanity and act to maximize it."

>You can substitute WISH for any other wish you would like to see granted. However, one should be very careful while doing so, as beings of pure logic are likely to interpret vague actions differently from how a human would interpret them. In particular, one should avoid accidentally making WISH impossible to fulfill, as that would cause the god's head to explode, ruining your wish.

I did this, but the problem with that is that it's a coin toss since the player doesn't know he's playing as the real character or the doppelganger. You can't really convice other people over something you're not even sure yourself. If the player presents a good case he's the original but is later revealed to be playing a fake this whole time, then what?
It's a real problem, and I'm not sure there is a solution. Which is a pity.

Are you two ... genestealers?

Might as well repost this.