I have been shanghai'd into a magical girl MAID game

I have been shanghai'd into a magical girl MAID game.

I know magical girls are gay as fug, but I don't know if I could roleplay THAT gay (effectively). Would a chaste cheek kiss/hug/earnest handholding be enough? Advice from experienced magical girl GMs/players would be welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_HudC71bmlg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Subvert the stereotypes. Be the straightest thing this side of Russia.

If anything does anything sexual, get the fuck out of there immediately.

When in doubt, talk to your GM. How much lesbianism is your GM expecting there to be? How much are you comfortable with roleplaying or having roleplayed around you? What are some possible comprises (IE playing the straight-woman: )?

I've only seen a couple magical girl shows myself, but the gayness tends to be more tension than legit action. Your stated actions will probably be fine, but depends on what the GM is going for.

OP is a faggot, three quarters of Mahou Shoujo material has straight or non-committed girls.

>Maid
It's not going to last long enough to matter. Just play a good friend.

If all the other players are magical girls, subvert expectations. I recall one screencap where one player was a dodgy urban warlock and the others magical girls.

I demand to see your source on that number.

user, you can be a magical girl, kiss girls and still be straight.

Play it like Sailor Moon, be thirsty as fuck for dudes

It's MAID, duder. If you are not up for sexual hijinx let the GM and other players know. It's not required that you go further than what you've expressed you're comfortable with. (It's just heavily encouraged by way of rules + inventory because Japan.)

Play as their 30-something homeroom teacher, who lost his (magical girl daughter) to the _______ evil magical thing and took up her mantle.

Just no crossdressing.

Could also play as their Tuxedo Mask-equivalent, their male pseudo-questgiver. MAID has rules for Butlers whose job it is to keep the maids (magical girls) in line.

In most magical girl stuff, it's all about subtext.

Nanoha is the exception, from your pic, since she ends up in a long term committed lesbian relationship, raising a daughter with her dark magical girl life partner. But it rarely goes that far in most other shows.

OH!
GUYS!
My players pitch me idea that next campaign should be about "school of magical girls in training, who secretly killing demons and trying to peek into the boys locker room"
So i ask your advice about good solid system choice: Savage Worlds, GURPS, FATE (we little know only them) or something another?

Of those I'd say FATE is the best choice.

It depends a lot on what style of magical girl you're going for. Modern dark magical girls? Classic shoujo? Action magical girls like Nanoha or the PreCure franchise? There's a lot of variety available.

>what style of magical girl
I'm not very aware of certain titles, but something like combo from Sailor Moon, Kill La Kill, Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and maybe some Nanoha.

That is, uh, such a broad selection that it doesn't really help narrow it down much?

How do you see the tone? Grim? More realistic? Over the top fantastical? Bright and optimistic?

How do you see combat playing out? Brutal magical slugfests? Beautiful, choreographed magical duels or dogfights? Long periods of talking followed by one attack that ends it decisively, one way or the other?

>I'm not very aware of certain titles, but something like combo from Sailor Moon, Kill La Kill, Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and maybe some Nanoha.
Are you just naming things that don't mix together?

But then you die

>I know magical girls are gay as fug
Maybe for people with their /u/goggles strapped on too tight.

>part of user seems to think I'm some weak cunt

I'm not gone a run scared like a ninny if some characters act like dykes, guys. I just don't think I'd be too good at roleplaying heavy, lovey-dovey stuff.

Only faggots try to pull off some ebin memer stuff like showing up to an all-cat party with a dog character. I have however considered playing my character as the "straight-man" if some of the characters act really silly.

The contrarian arguments that magical girls, as a genre, aren't pretty gay always strikes me as weird. I mean, sure, the fanon oversells it and a lot of the shows do include an obvious main male love interest. But that the lesbian subtext is so ubiquitous is part of why it's become a defining trait of the genre, and why it tends to get more attention than the usually rather boring male leads. I do think it's a good thing we've seen more and more shows stop even bothering on that front.

But yeah. If you're worried about it, just stick to subtext. It's perfectly in genre, honestly more so than anything more blatant.

If a guy turns into a girl to be a magical girl, it's still gay

Tuxedo Mask was a fine character. He at least doesn't deserve this. He picked the wrong girl though.

Dude, 30 something year old dude who appears in a frilly dress that he absolutely hates could be fun as shit. Makes a ton of effort into not ever being seen because he doesn't want anyone to make implications that he encourages children to go out in over designed dresses with him.

The Butler is literally a role in the rulebook.

>I know magical girls are gay as fug, but I don't know if I could roleplay THAT gay (effectively)
youtube.com/watch?v=_HudC71bmlg
Nothing wrong with hugs and handholding. Don't let the prudes in Veeky Forums tell you anything else. Handholding is NOT lewd at all.

But yeah, you should totally go for it, MAID is a fun system and very fun if you don't play with average joes/total spergs.

This one?
its a good one.

Actual mahou shoujo anime used to have little more than the occasional "implication", which was really only an implication to Western eyes. In Japan, girls being very friendly with each other, to a touchy-feely extent, is completely normal and has next to no sexual connotations.
So, yeah, just occasionally hug tightly, hold hands, all that jazz. Maybe find a boy NPC to crush on to drive the point home.

Please point me to "actual" mahou shoujo, all I've seen so far is lesbos

>Play as their 30-something homeroom teacher, who lost his (magical girl daughter) to the _______ evil magical thing and took up her mantle.
Yes!
>Just no crossdressing.
No!

They're spouting bullshit. Yurishipping originated in Japan and spread outwards. It's just people desperately trying to be contrarian.

>Actual mahou shoujo anime used to have little more than the occasional "implication",
Unless it was Cutey Honey, because the school she went to was populated entirely by Lesbians, students and staff.

Im now picturing magical girl Adam Jensen pulling the stereotypical "I never asked for this" bit from the game- but instead of Augs its a frilly dress underneath his leather duster.

iirc, that's the exact premise of a manga. Haven't had the opportunity to read more than the preview chapter, so I don't know if it's any good, but I was interested.

If you want to avoid the gay roleplay, you can say your love interest is a girl that is not a meguca, and therefore isn't in the group.
But if that doesn't work, yeah, handholding will suffice. Maybe toss in a princess carry or two.

>princess carry

Maybe it's just me but I would be irritated as fuck at the start but I'd give it a shot. I don't play enough games to be picky