/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread
DMs what are the best pieces of advice you can give to players to help the game overall?

Players what are somethings you can't stand a DM doing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rRQijskAMp4?t=4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Players what are somethings you can't stand a DM doing?
Allowing one or more players to become the "Main Character" while the others become sidekicks or irrelevant to the rest of the story.

Speak up and maybe that won't happen.

Asking for HP to carefully distribute damage, instead of letting aggro between NPCS and PCs flow more naturally

What makes hexblade so desirable? I'm watching at it and only the Cha to attack and damage is ok, rest is meh, I think Fiend is superior.

>You do ______.
and Fudging rolls

"But user, it is a fundamental part of the plot now. We would have to start over"
Pass

that doesn't sound like D&D then...

Letting us know he fudged the dice or halved monster HP or 'forget' to use abilities or such. I think DMs shouldn't do it at all, but if they do, they should keep their mouth shut about it.

No, I mean get involved with the game more. Interact with NPCs, do some neat roleplaying. In my experience when someone becomes the "main character" it's largely due to the fact that no one else wanted to talk to NPCs.

>around 20 pages
>hours of reading

Too stupid to play.

Any tips or advice on how to make a map for an Elven Kingdom/Fortress? Anything I should include or avoid?

I can assure you that is not the case.

Learn your character's and the game's rules, please. As a DM, it's the one thing that'd make things so much more pleasant.

DMs who try to apply rules from prior editions not as a conscious, deliberate choice but because they don't think Monk evasion halves damage on a failed save because that wasn't how it worked in 3.5, for instance, and you need to explain that things are different now.

Medium armor means you can compete with a Fighter or a Paladin's AC, makes pact of the Blade useable and a good choice, makes you extremely SAD, Hexblade's curse is a very strong tool that gives you a means to recover HP while fighting to mention a few benefits, 33% chance of a cursed enemy to miss entirely.

What part of "in my experience" didn't you understand?

What part of what I find annoying that DMs do is not your experience did you not understand? Go be pissy some place else.

Anyone have some ideas for Roleplaying an Elven Berserker? I'm using a Grugach Elf for Strength and my DM is letting me instead Frenzy for half of my rages without exhaustion so mechanically I'm happy, but I'm trying to think of a good reason for an Elf to be a bundle of pure rage and death other then the usual tribal crap.

>that gives you a means to recover HP
Once per short rest, Fiend does it on every dropped enemy ever. Sadly cursed enemy only works once per short rest, so 2 a day at best.

And maybe you're right, I just forgot that Warlock doesn't get all armor and weapon proficiencies, that Pal1/WarlockX is not a Warlock per se.

>bitch about something
>get advice
>just keep bitching

I think the problem might be you, not your DM.

>answer a prompt about annoying things DMs do
>nuh uh user, in my experience it is your fault
>complains when called out
>plebbit spaces
Autism speaks!

>2 a day at best
Sorry to hear you only play with shit DMs.

Rather, with Hexblade you just do Hexblade 1-3/Paladin X enjoying needing only ever CON and CHA, which is very easy with ASIs. If point buy, I'd reccomend Hex, otherwise, Fiend might be good.

Sounds like you've got a persecution complex if that's what you took from my posts.

really old and fed up or really young and naive

You know that's what the manul recommeds, right?

>still being pissy and whiny because someone doesnt like an annoying thing

>implying mearls is good at game design

>"ugh god i hate this thing"
>maybe try this
>"OMMYGOD FUCK OFF"

There's something wrong with you dude.

This is missing desperately needed quotation marks and I can't tell where

Rules Lawyer: 'This is how the rules work'
DM: 'Well it worked like this in a previous edition or I just feel like it, even if the rule makes sense to everyone else I'm making a houserule out of nowhere that fucks you over'.
Also level 20 party interactions when you're all playing as low levels, or interacting with other people who're absurdly powerful yet they seem to have no impact on the surroundings. Especially metallic dragons, fuck those.

It gives you moderate armour + shields without a feat which jumps you likely from 14 AC and no stealth disadvantage to 19 AC and stealth disadvantage. +5 AC. Then the extra hex. And you don't have to go pact of the tome in order to get shillelagh.
It was a shit design because it did exactly the thing it shouldn't have done with giving armour proficiencies and it's still better for EBers, but otherwise encourages sword-and-board on a warlock which is weird anyway. But they did all of this because they couldn't think of a proper way to do bladelock that they can easily release anytime soon.

Hexblade is very powerful as a single level dip for someone like a paladin, and really shouldn't be allowed for multiclassing.
It's not overwhelmingly powerful as a warlock, especially since you can just get the +1 dex 'moderately armoured' feat, but it's a little bit more powerful than the other warlock archetype choices.

That would mean 3 a day, then.

clearly is not, monk is still meh and gets no love on feats, magic items, campaigns and new manuals (but for sun soul). warlock is still a glorified EB turret and ranger is still shit

>this OP prompt asked for things that annoy us
>this user said something
>I chimed in like the autist I am about how it was obviously anons fault
>I got mad when it wasnt like how I imagined it in my head
No user. No.

DM of two groups here. This ended up happening on one of the groups. The others simply didn't do shit. Hell, one of the playes literally just slept through the whole session waking up just for combat. One session, when the main character player was just screwing around, not roleplaying anything and ignoring his important story hooks, I had enough. I just tpkd them.

In my other group they are all important with their own goals, hopes and fears. They are all treated equally. We are ending an awesome campaign soon and it will be remembered forever.

Since you're desperate to get the last word in I'll be the better man and give it to you.

You're both the problem. Now shut up.

wanna, like, make a third one I can join and probably shit up? If I start fucking up you have my permission to shit down my throat

>"This thing happens that I don't like"
>"Well maybe it's you fault"
>"Well it isn't"
>"Usually in these cases it would be your fault"
>"But it isn't"
>"Yeah but I said usually you faggot"
>"Yeah but it's not my experience you faggot"
>"You fag"
>"Autist"
>"Persecution complex"
>"Why are you still pissed"
>"There's something wrong with you"

Kids, do we need to put you into detention before you learn how to interact with people?

Kay. Thanks user.
>butting in just like autismo did
If anyone is the fault it is the OP for asking such contentious questions. Had I known replying would piss off so many, what I can only assume, DMs who either do this or players who enjoy being the main character I would not have mentioned anything and left them to their own egos.

Is there a Godwin's Law variant that says the longer a conversation goes, the more likely it is to devolve into REEEEEE vs counter-REEEEEEE?

>so many, what I can only assume, DMs who either do this or players who enjoy being the main character

are you retarded?

/pfg/-tier 5eg official campaign when with catgirls and memebuilds

Forgetting if a player has anything that protects them from specific effects or other things and just assuming they don't instead of just asking.

>How to put a mind flayer in a wuxia setting
A mind flayer has learned to channel his psychic energy through martial arts. He is a sifu and can teach you his Way of the Illithid, but beware his wrath, for he has been known to eat the brains of students who fail.

I think we all took the bait here

It's the player's responsibility to speak up.

>who else would get butthurt about such a thing?

Nah, man. I've got more than enough in my hands between two groups and college, actually.

I can't wait to begin ToA with one of the groups to get rid of some weight in my back. I'm not an awesome dm that can craft a fun and meaningful campaign while studiyng.

If u fuck up, I would talk to you first before setting everything on fire. If my kind of dmming it's not your type, you're free to leave, no harsh feelings, dude It's up to you, really. But if after all that you keep fucking up, im gonna get frustrated and throw you a tarrasque or something.

Consistently bending or outright breaking rules and or substituting/changing mechanics and or rules while not giving any thought as to how it might affect the balance of the game.
>DM decides that if you wield two weapons you get to attack with each of your weapons per attack because that was how it was in an edition of something he played sometime oh and you also get to add your ability modifier to both attacks if you want oh and the weapons don't have to be light either
>I explain to him that would wildly explain the game and that with such an advantage there is literally no reason not to dual wield
>Yeah but just roleplay lol your character wouldn't know that

>very powerful as a single level dip
Sword and board paladins aren’t *that* strong even if they’re SAD

>But if after all that you keep fucking up, im gonna get frustrated and throw you a tarrasque or something.

I do the same thing. Had to kill two of my players with a Lich because they refused to read the rules on magic while playing as spellcasters.

Yeah, that sucks. I'm not a rules lawyer myself, but that just makes the design of the game worse in general. You need to understand the intention behind the rule before bending it.

The DM honestly has enough things to worry about. The least you can do as a player is keep track of your own spells and effects.

What are must have invocations and feats for a tomelock? I was thinking agonizing, book, and (assuming stats are good enough) spell sniper.

This
It's the player's responsibility to keep track of their abilities unless they're expected to not remember them, though the DM can try to prompt the response even if they've remembered and instead remind the player of their immunity if they still don't seem to realize.
What's bad is when the DM doesn't even give you the prompt to say you might have something to prevent it, 'Wisdom save against charm' as opposed to 'Wisdom save' should be used. The DM's description of how the ability is used should also give strong hints, anyway.

Wow, i did gave them the warning:
>If a caster asks me what a spell DC is, heads are gonna roll.
I need to mention that we have played like at least 7 sessions so far.

Thankfully he seemed to realize just how ridiculous the disparity between the dual wielding Ranger and every other martial class in that particular session was fairly quickly and opted to remove the rule almost as soon as it was instated.
Still, I'd really appreciate it if said DM took a moment to think about the long and short term effects changing certain rules might have.

Hexblade lets you get Heavy Armor proficiency out of the gate, and if you can afford good heavy armor just become Iron Man. 20+ AC blaster with fly spell.

and even if the DM don't prompt the response, the player should ask if his feature/item/whaterver works. If it does, the DM sometimes be able to let him use the protective feature, if the player has never used it, or if he asked in time, etc.

I do and like I said when I posted that if he would ask I would tell him. But he didn't ask and instead assumed and because of that my character apparently had been tracked using scrying for a couple of weeks in game and nearly died because of that even though my character had had the amulet of protection from location and divination for several months. Never prompted me once until I told him as they found my character.

Wow, user, you sound like a gigantic bitch. Maybe that's the real problem here.

Compared to a PAM halberd paladin with defense style, a duelling PAM quarterstaff paladin -
Standard attacks do pretty much identical damage (Halberd paladin does +2 extra damage on a crit, otherwise identical).
+1 AC.
Bonus action attacks do +2 more damage.

If you were using shillelagh, your normal attacks would do almost +1 more damage.
The only real difference is the level you aquire paladin skills if you multiclass, most importantly improved divine smite.

Or are you saying that there are no strong paladins?

Don't forget Devil's Sight. It's such a strong invocation. Eldritch Sight, Mask of Myriad Forms, Sculptor of Flesh, Shroud of Shadow are all good choices too.

Book makes you far more versatile and all you need to do is put some effort into finding rituals

Agonizing blast is nice but free knockback from repelling blast can be amazing.

Spell Sniper is neat but in two years as a TomeLock ive actually rarely gotten a lot of use out of it. Devils sight had similar limited applications but the times I was able to use it were pretty damn good. Misty visions has been my most helpful invocation before lv15s top tier ones

Oh, also
>What if they used GWF instead of defense?
Then the sword and board has roughly -1 damage on standard attacks, +1.5 damage on bonus attacks and +2 AC instead.
Still no indication of being inferior.

Ok, I just read on another thread that Monk/Warlock was crazy powerful, the dude was pretty convinced about it but the thread died. What am I missing?

I know right? Who would have thought people dont like being shunted out of a game they joined? Guess we cant all enjoy the back seat.

>>What am I missing?
>>Autism most likely

My mistake, you sound like a little bitch, not a gigantic one.

If you both were sitting at my table you'd both be gone.

But I wouldn't play with bitchy children in the first place.

Is devil's sight all that necessary if you already have dark vision? Especially if nobody in the party uses darkness? Shroud is on the list but it's a bit too high, same with master. Somebody else has permanent detect magic.
I'll probably be coming in with it and the book makes a bit more sense than either of the others although I am curious if chainlock is generally better. Repelling was on my list but not as a must have and spell sniper is so that I can fire into melee. I'd take misty but I'm planning a more auditory focus.

well, if I'm missing autism that's good, right?.

But no, srly, I don't see how that multiclass is going to be anything but disappointing and weak. I see no synergy at all, but I haven't been following UA lately.

cast darkness on yourself, enjoy every single opponent having disadvantage to hit you

If you're missing autism it means you can't see the magical autistic energy strings linking two classes together. This requires some Doctor Strange tier Autismagick to figure out.

>if I was an omnipotent over deity I would smite you all so there
Sure thing user.

Again, I was planning a more auditory focus. I'm not picking up darkness especially since a lot of the stuff we're fighting at this point has true sight or something that allows them to ignore darkness.

Sun Soul or Long Death Monk? Thinking I'll go Wood Elf and being able to throw around energy beams and burning hands seems fun, but the AoE fear and ignore death abilities seem better.

youtu.be/rRQijskAMp4?t=4s

pic related?

I’m saying that GWM screws with your whole calculations.

back in 3.5 the warlock could cast darkness at will, plus devil's eye meant you have permanent 20% miss chance (or was it 50%?). Add wall crawling, eldritch claw and teleport at will (with shadow pounce aka teleport+full attack) on a Tiefling and you had pic related.

Most fun I ever had on D&D to be honest.

3.5 warlocks were so much better especially with having blast shapes as a specific invocation type that they got in addition to others.

Long Death Monk is the solider choice. In terms of power however Shadow Monk does overwhelm it by far, and Open Hand Monk is a solid second choice.

Sadly there isn't a lot for sneaking around through sound for Warlock. You could take Vision of Distant Realms or Ghostly Gaze for scouting, and that's most likely the best you can do.

So picking Lifedrinker does nothing for Hexblade, thank you I guess

As a DM, how do I get two of my friends to invest more? Even when I give them the spotlight once in a while, or ask them what they'd like to do, they'll sometimes give a pretty short response or act bored. Maybe I'm also overthinking.

I don't see why not. It's literally referred to as extra damage.

How powerful would a zombified dragon be?

Not a dracolich, this is the corpse of a dragon raised from the dead. Still capable of flight and breath, but presumably less powerful.

Where would you ballpark it?

well, last time I asked on sageadvice about adding twice a Stat to something they told me you couldn't even if nowhere in the rules say you couldn't. So I guess you can't use lifedrinker (Cha to damage) and Hexblade (Cha to damage)

Then I guess it's good that I was never planning on being especially stealthy. If I was I'd probably go chainlock instead of tomelock.

>this thing is making me angry so I will keep going on because reasons
I would refer you to the most helpful suggestions, being irrelevant shitposting and name calling

It explicitly says you deal extra necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
It doesn't say "You use your Charisma modifier for damage rolls".

Some players don't want the spotlight. Some people just want to turn up, roll dice, and be part of the group in an undemanding way.

This guy doesn't want that but consider that players who do want to be the main character of the story tend to get along well with players that never want to be the main character. Most players just want to have fun, and no one's favourite type of fun is wrong, there's just incompatible types of fun.

Your players might be having fun. If they're not stopping anyone (other than you) from having fun, I'd advise you continue to offer them opportunities to take a bit of spotlight, but don't be worried or offended if they continue to hang back and just enjoy being part of the group. Enjoy the fact that they're undemanding and focus on the more challenging players.

when I asked for Draconic sorcerer (add Cha to damage) and Undying Light sorcerer (add Cha to damage) and tomelock with shellelag (use Cha to damage) they told me you can't use the same stat twice in a roll of any kind, I would only get [W]+Cha and that's it.

How do you get convenient swim speed or something to help you actually fight underwater other than breath?
Freedom of Movement is 4th level, but is there anything earlier?

>>Blasting in 3.5
>>Good
>>Pick one

I just wanna feel heroic in a game about being heroes.

So I'm currently working on a homebrew setting, and I want one of the main focus points to be on the antagonistic relationship between humans+dwarves and elves. Thoughts on the idea of half-elves being sterile?

>Ignores SR
>Deals Force damage that bypasses DR
>Chain, burst or cone
>Adds effects like sickened, shaken, Str/Con damage, etc
>At will all
It was among the best blasters, the fact that you could deal 18d6 at 12 level or even earlier was icing. But sure, damage wasn't the best way of dealing with mosnters in 3.5, but you have to blame caster supremacy for that, if you could remove Tier1 and Tier2 classes Warlock was pretty cool and efficient

That makes sense, even if it isn't written down.
All of those things mention adding modifier to damage rolls, whereas Lifedrinker is worded very differently.

>Thinking hexblade was designed for melee fags
You're like a barbarian trying to cast spells.

No, it's just retarded.

>GWM
PAM is better than GWM. generally.
If you're not a v.human, you won't have both PAM and GWM before level 11, and at level 11 GWM becomes even more meaningless. Of course, +hit effects such as bless favours GWM somewhat and +damage effects favour PAM, but those are all mostly conditional.

I guess I just missed saying things like that about 3.5 after a few years of 5E. I apologize

I never got try it back then and my only DM was an a grognard that believed RPGs reach perfection with orange PHBs. . It sure has been a fun class in this one though