EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Splashy X Spells Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What's your favorite spell with X in its mana cost and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ah-but-you-have-heard-of-me/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-soft-machine-01/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What's your favorite spell with X in its mana cost and why?
Villainous wealth
cause the grass is always greener on the other side

Voltron Godo bro from last thread, pls respond with list

V A L U E

Gelatinous Genesis. Always and forever.

I guarntee its like 35 mountains
10 rocks
10 filter/draw spells
a couple of decent creatures
8-10 of the highest costing most timmy equipments ever printed (including hammer and blade of selves) then a butt ton of removal
congrats you have yourself a godo deck
got an eldrazi? throw that in there too, whatever

what about gelatinous genesis on a creature?

It's so versatile, and the new art is beautiful.

>Splashy X Spells Edition
I'm afraid I can't let you do that.

>guarntee
holy crap what the hell did I just type lol
the word is guarantee

Good enough for me, user

DELET

i know i was being dismissive but its actually super fun

>What's your favorite spell with X in its mana cost and why?
It's an offer they can't refuse

Post em if you got em

Oh and here's a template

Earthquake but much better

Does the Legend rule not affect Myriad tokens?

It does affect them but you still get the ETB, that's why Omnath+Sword is most of the time a win.

Newfag in my playgroup wanted us to try pauper edh to "broaden our deck building horizons" or some shit like that. My question is, what do I build so these faggots never want to play this retarded variant ever again?

artifacts
always artifacts

thread question answered in picture

Nothing.

Why don't you just let your group know you do not want to play pauper EDH

That seems like a much easier solution, then trying to invalidate everyone else's enjoyment because you could not take the time to act like a decent human being.

whoa shit damn how did I not know about this

I'm just trying to spare my playgroup the agony of four hour board stalls because nobody has access to a board wipe.

>My question is, what do I build so these faggots never want to play this retarded variant ever again?
does the legend have to be a common?
if not just play talrand
and yes pauper edh is gayasfuckwtfwereyouthinkingthissucks tier

Just tell them that.

Let em know its a shitty format because board wipes arent common, and this leads to massive bogged down games.

Ascended Lawmage enchantments voltron

Pauper EDH uses uncommons as the commander

I remember the first time I actually got to play this card. Nobody understood why I payed 9 for it (x=8) because I wiped the board except for my dragons at 6 until I told them to read the damn card, and put my “Godzilla” token in.

The token is pretty dope too

Thoughts on this race traitor?

>does the legend have to be a common?
the commander in pauper is any common or uncommon creature (under MOST regulations)
If you can manage it, play Turbofog. You'll probably have to take a commander just for colors (you want GW and Angus is rare) but if you can get some draw power that would be good. Kei Takahashi, Ragnar, Rhox War Monk, and Skyward Eye Prophets are all legit choices.

The downside is that if you get 200% focused from the start, you can lose, but chances are any group that would fall for Pauper Commander will fall for turbofog until it is far, far too late. Just hold the game hostage for as long as it takes for everyone to get sick of this shit.

>uncommons as the commander
cool clone was printed at uncommon at one point
but really you need to go either Enclave Cryptologist or one of the infect creatures

This desu

cool in concept shit tier in execution
traitors get the bullet first etc. etc. etc.

Getting rid of nuMagic sparklepires is one of the few noble things you can do. While he's still a filthy Twilight reject he at least knows he's subhuman shit.

wtf is wrong with that guy>?!

Races aren't teams. Also, vamparism is more a disease than a race.

>Races aren't teams
you are wrong but also

>playgroup shits on you for one shotting them with memes all the time
>do a total 180 with deckbuilding and go full disruption instead
>they shit on you for dragging every game out to 2 hours

welp back to using Gruul Removal then i guess

So how much spot removal is enough, would you say, /edhg/? 6? 8? 10 cards?

How much is too much?

So bant with all the blink and spell recursion possible to fog all the time?

8 is a good number for most decks, usually you should prefer wraths and removal that targets permanents in general.

10 total including spot removal for art/enchants and boardwipes + counterspells if you are in blue
though in blue decks I tend to go up to 15

They'll stop playing by themselves. No board wipes makes the format a durdly mess.

spot removal is meh. trading 1 for 1 isn't usually very good.

board wipes are the best for general answer.

instant speed spot removal is nice if you can comfortably leave mana untapped when you pass, like if you have something to dump your mana into later.

sorcery speed spot removal is kind of shit. it's hard to be smart with it, you always have to assume the worst when it comes to threat assessment. with instant speed removal, you can hold that spell until you know you need it.

if you're playing an aggressive deck with an aggressive board, you're best off using gruul style removal instead of spot removal

I know the feeling. Except now they've all quit MtG.

I've heard it goes pretty fast 1v1, but in a 4+ player pod that's just ridiculous.

Yup! Ideally, you win by being the only one to recycle your GY while everybody else loses to drawing their 100th card.

How well would these two work?

I may hate the PDH with a passion, but I actually want to pull that off. Thanks user, I'll tell you how it goes.

not as good as the other options, what are you looking to do, is gaining life a primary thing you want your deck to do?

Wanted lifegain but wanted to try green as I’ve never played the Timmy style before

could be good for that especially if you arent planning on going hard into reanimator, which is what a lot of those decks end up doing

I would say 8

Prioritize stuff that's versatile (some Commands and Charms), hits multiple targets (Return to Dust, Decimate), or deals with things you usually can't in your color (Chaos Warp, Beast Within).

So with the stupid unsets legal for the hot minute, what happens if i combo spy kit and wordmail?

you have a very large creature

you can also play a single creature with literally infinite power

Tymna+Ikra would be a lot better. The card draw is invaluable and the 98 can be filled to the brim with lifegain synergy and combat tricks/anthems (True Conviction is fucking bonkers if you get to connect).

>gruul style removal
What

instead of removing the troublesome permanent itself, you instead kill the player who owns the permanent, thus exiling it

This mentality/playstyle is why Gruul is best clan

I'm not him, but here's my list.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ah-but-you-have-heard-of-me/

I need to get the hammer tho to instant equip.

Do you guys think my playgroup would let me run Burnt Offering as my commander?

No.

Thoughts on a deck based around nasuverse Unlimited Blade Works? Pic related seems like an appropriate general, mirrodin swords are an auto-include. Ideas?

CMCs needed to make net positive:
Without a fork spell
>1st cast: 2 CMC
>2nd cast: 4 CMC
>3rd cast: 6 CMC
>4th cast: 8 CMC
>5th cast: 10 CMC

With a 2 CMC fork spell:
>1st cast: 2 CMC
>2nd cast: 3 CMC
>3rd cast: 4 CMC
>4th cast: 5 CMC
>5th cast: 6 CMC

With a 3 CMC fork spell:
>1st cast: 3 CMC
>2nd cast: 4 CMC
>3rd cast: 5 CMC
>4th cast: 6 CMC
>5th cast: 7 CMC

I think it should be fine.

>running an instant as your commander
>fine

Classic meme, been a while since I've seen this

Loved, but doesn’t fit the criteria posed by the OP.

>not meta enough

>enforcing your own rules on other people's casual play
>implying they won't be able to determine whether they like it or not for themselves
>implying EDH is meant to be anything more than guidelines for houserule rulesets

>enforcing his own rules
Enforcing the game's rules /= enforcing his rules.

i want to run an enchantment related commander in azorious/bant/esper but i don't want to run zur

:/

Bant is probably best for that because you get all the Selesnya enchantment support. There are no commanders that actually support that strategy though, so just pick whoever.

Stop being such a weeaboo. Anime is bad.

Play nonred partners

There's already enough confusion going on with there being 2 official sets of rules. Houserules just add to that.

call me old fashion but partners is lame to me.

it's weird that there is no enchantress commander in bant. look at this bant legend. why does wizards print cards like this. whyyyyy. i just want to play enchanted evening and opalescence and mycosynth lattice and march of the machines and humility to make everything 1/1 creature enchantment artifact creatures.

What is a good card in naya that I can dump a ton of mana into and win as an alternative wincon?

I'd generate the mana from primarily from tokens (ashnod, gaea's cradle, gaeas cradle 2 from ixalan, cryptrolith rite)

helix pinnacle is the only acceptable answer.

Helix pinnacle for actual alt wincon.

Kamahl for killing anyone with just your lands, making it impossible to wrath, and for laughing at cyclonic rifts.

It's not technically an alternate win condition, but...

I play Atraxa enchantress, mostly for the synergy with that angel enchantment, As Foretold, and Parallax Wave and Tide. If I was smarter, I'd cut all that shit to play Tymna and Thrasios instead.

I'm a big fan of Enchanted Evening and Cleansing Meditation,and black tutors help you make it all come together.

EDH is casual. If people want to play with different rules than the official rules with their friends, and everyone there agrees to it, what's wrong with that? Does the idea of other people having fun in the "wrong way" trigger your autism?

>flashes in Tainted Aether
>Burning Sands + any creature wipe

He's supposed to be cool, but clearly isn't. He just marks a target and expects someone else to kill them. The flavor is all wrong, that should be a mechanic for some aristocrat who wants dirty upstarts killed, it doesn't work as a vampire hunter.
He should have had some ability that more directly involved him in killing some target creature.
>Any other player may put a bounty counter on target creature you do not own or control
>cost, tap Mathas: destroy target creature, draw a card.

Hanna, Ship's Navigator, senpai. You can play all of those things and win with annoying combos.

Need mono red rube Goldberg machines

I gotta trim the fat.
Would appreciate some input.
Exceptionally casual Kraj deck:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-soft-machine-01/

I have a tana / tymna deck that tosses buffs onto Tana and goes wide with saprolings to use Tymna. Other than enchants/equip for Tana and stuff to buff my saprolings, any other tech I should look for?

That earthquake with split second. It's more of a draw-condition tho.

Craterhoof?

>alternative wincon

I often make it a point not to put Hoof in any decks.

if its a casual table, which edh commonly has, craterhoof can be strong enough to be one

That's not what alternative wincon means. Combat damage is not what anyone would call an alternative winning condition.

>Blue or bust
>No proper wraths
>Games take way longer than it has any right too
>Four people built Spellheart Chimera and I'm sitting here with a janky ass Crag Puca
It came and went in a single night.

If your main wincon isn't combat damage/craterhoof, it can very well be an alternative wincon.