Why aren't you playing Go user? It's fun

Why aren't you playing Go user? It's fun

I disagree.

because a machine solved it and I'll never be that good

I prefer connect four, all of Go's strategy, but condensed into its purest form.

?????

But I am though, every week.

You clearly don't know what a solved game means.

I am and my club will be hosting finals of European Grand Prix alongside our yearly tournament. I'm curious who will win among best europeans...

I tried it a few times but I just don't understand the appeal of simply walking out of the room.

I'm not smart enough.

I don't know how to play and don't know anyone who does.

But I am...

Okay, I'm going to teach you how to play Go

Go is traditionally played on a grid of 19 by 19 lines, Black traditionally goes first, white gets some bonus points to offset the first move advantage (typically about 7.5)
On your turn, you can either place a stone on an empty intersection of lines (including edges and corners of the gir), or pass. Then your opponent has the chance to do the same. Repeat until both players pass in succession.

Any stones that are directly next to intersections occupied by stones of the same color are considered connected "groups" (From here on, where ever you see me refer to groups, know that the same rule apply to single stones). If a player plays so that any group (or single stone), is no longer adjacent to any empty intersections on a grid, that whole group is now captured by its opponent, and removed from the board. For both capturing and groups, diagonals do not count.

In most variants, you can not play such that your own group would be captured, UNLESS doing so would simultaneously capture one of your opponent's groups, in which case, your opponen'ts group is removed and yours remain.
You also can not play in a way that would return the board to an identical state as it was previously, most often these are points where you and your opponent could be trading the same two stones back and forth.

When both players have passed in succession, the game is over. Count up the amount empty space your stones entirely surround, minus the number of your pieces that got captured, your opponent does the same. Whomever has the higher total, (including the bonus points for going second), wins.

That's really it.

Too complicated, why would anyone play this shit? Just play game of thrones or risk and be done with it

bump

Because i decided to quit while i was ahead for once. Was best in my year in dots, that's good enough for me.

It's just trapping your enemies whilst not getting trapped yourself.

because the online AI is too hard for me.

I did get pretty good at Hanafuda though, but that was just card-counting.

I thought Go was a shit board game. I was like 100 versus my friend's 40 and I ended up losing in the end.

Chess among novices is just as fun, requires less pieces, is more portable and I happen to know the rules of it.

My co-workers only play poker. My wife and parents in law just want play canasta.

>spics
You know what to do.

Wasn't this in assassin creed black flag?

> (You)
>>spics
>You know what to do.
They are more european than you, Jamal. And have more money than you're going to ever see together in your life.

>if im incompetent it's the boardgame fault
>game is thousands of years old

just lol

The only time I've played Go was with Asian dudes, and they always beat me.