Fantasy Creature Sources

Does anyone know of any good collections of creatures from mythos and legend? Comprehensive material that's categorised with images would be best - Wikis, PDFs, Books, Blogs and Galleries are all welcome.

I should specify that I'm looking for Medieval European mostly, however Greco-Roman and Middle Eastern are also appreciated. If anyone wants to request Asian or Tribal later in thread I have no qualms against it being posted.

Other urls found in this thread:

bestiary.ca
bestiary.ca/
bestiary.ca/beasts.htm
yokai.com/
bestiary.ca
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bumping own thread.

Have you tried google?

bestiary.ca

Look up the cocepts for real animals. Dolphins were supposed to have razor-sharp fins and hyenas were basically transexual wendigos.

>Does anyone know of any good collections of creatures from mythos and legend?

There's a Canadian site, bestiary.ca/ that has an extensive, alphabetical, bestiary on middle-age beasts n' creatures. bestiary.ca/beasts.htm Even mundane animals become interesting once you read what medieval people thought about how they lived and went about their business- almost everything had a supernatural or religious connection.

There's also yokai.com/ which has everything you could ever need or want to learn about Japanese/Asian yokai AND it still updates regularly as they learn and document more yokai. The whole website is a delight, each article is alphabetized, has a fancy illustration of the yokai and on the side they post the latest pages.

Pic related on my bump is from bestiary.ca

Thx anyway though.

I have a really awesome book based on some kid's series that has some bad-ass illustrations of traditional monsters done in a new way.

What's it called?

Spiderwick.

It's Tony di Terlizzi, right? He used to do D&D illustrations as well, and he's only gotten better since then.

I know of the series, sure I read some of them long ago. Thx user.

Yeah, google search says that checks out. I don't remember too much about the books, but I know I listened to the audiobook version at one point. Love the illustrations and the whole style of the Field Guide, it's pretty cool.

Np frem

This is great to, seen it before but it's existence slipped my mind. Thx for the copy.

I heartily recommend 'The Complete Encyclopedia of Elves, Goblins, And Other Little Creatures' and the 'Great encyclopedia of Faeries' by Pierre Dubois. Together they make up nearly 500 pages of beautifully illustrated bestiary entries. The language can be a bit flowery and quite verbose at times but the variety of creatures in it is great (it has entries for some pretty obscure fay) and the again the art is to die for. I don't think anyone has scanned either of them - not enough interest or knowledge of their existence. You should be able to get them from any large online book store for a decent price. Pic attached is from the entry on Naga.

Thanks, looks great, I'll try and get hold of a copy.

I mean Hyenas basically are transexual wendigos

I got a book a long time ago called "The Encyclopedia of Things that Never Were"
Breddy good if you can find a copy

Bump

if you speak german Walter Moers books got some great fantasy creatures

Wayne Barlow's Guide to Fantasy Creatures, and Wayne Barlow's Guide to Extraterrestrials. There's nothing but description separating the two.

Bluebear which I remeber being pretty encyclopedic for Zamonia has been translated to English

City of Dreaming books too, those two are probably the best of the bunch anyway, if Rumo is translated aswell id also heavily recommend that since that one is the most ackin to Heroic Fantasy

Does anyone have a mege or something with bestiaries?

Was confused for a second, that's funny.

I've been looking for a pdf of these for a while.