Personal effects and accessories therad. affects

This is a thread for discussing and posting examples of personal objects accessories and set off, inform, help convey something about, or identify a character.

A cloak of blues and sea green. Flutters forcefully even in the slightest wind, mimicking a storm over the ocean.

the use of pages of text is a nice touch.

having them shuffle past each other or the text move at times might go well with the "easily disturbed into motion" nature of the cloak

Have some distinctive facepaint.

A mirror and finery

Skull necklace and wedding ring.

I've got a lot of different pipes because a character I was playing back in 2013 and 2014 going to start applying his crafting skills to making such things and selling them/gifitng them to influential people. So I searched for inspiring examples.

wrenches

cloaks and capes can add a good bit to a look.

vehicles can say a lot about a character.

Shit, dark elves having funeral parties with a day-of-the-dead aesthetic sounds awesome.

There was one particular passage in Charles Dicken's Bleak House that always stuck with me as a cool example of using small items and actions to show character.

There's this scene where the protagonist visits I think a moneylender or some other place where people are receiving pay, and as they walk in they see a guy picking up his earning and walking out the door. The guy stops just outside the door, picks a coin out from his new earnings, flips it in the air, catches it overhands, and walks out into the streets. He never is given a name, or anything beyond a cursory description, but that passage always stuck with me as a cool example of using little actions to tell you about someone without openly stating anything.

O shit, I used to have one of those. 49cc of raw 1970s power.

I read earnings as earring and was very confused.

Dickens is great for those. His books should be mandatory reading for GMs who want to practice descriptions, scenes, and emotional appeals.

Well shit what book(s) of his should I start with?

What was it like?

bells, mask.

a man the public has decided they want to hear coming as advanced warning, and who may be afflicted with something that has damaged their face.

or perhaps they are a wondering cleric who wants customers/those in need to come to him/her the same way children come when they hear the chimes of an ice cream truck

I didn't know Charles Darwin had a badass cane.

You too?

Well, to start, have you read A Christmas Carol? It's short enough you can read it out loud for practice in doing voices.

If you aren't American, Martin Chuzzlewit next. If you are, Hard Times.

Normally I'd be worried to see someone walking down a sidewalk with an Ax like that.

but something about the way she is walking and the state of her clothes make me thing she may not be able to use it as weapon effectively and is just transporting it or has non-malicious use for it where she is going.

I used to actually keep a steel 36" I named Heavy Metal Alice. Miss that wrench. She was my wife when I was working utilities.

>This is a thread for discussing and posting examples of personal objects accessories and set off, inform, help convey something about, or identify a character.

Ok anons. tell me what you see in this picture of a group of men sitting around a large piece of paper on a desk.

I've read A Christmas Carol.
Though it's been years.

I am American.
Why is Martin Chuzzlewit not recommended for those of the USA?

>I used to actually keep a steel 36" I named Heavy Metal Alice. Miss that wrench. She was my wife when I was working utilities.

>Miss that wrench. She was my wife when I was working utilities.

Tell me more about your time working utilities user, and how that wrench played a part in it.

What kind of utilities did you help maintain/rebuild.

>Why is Martin Chuzzlewit not recommended for those of the USA?
About half the book is making fun of Americans (kind of unfairly and crudely), but it does tend to irritate them. The non-American bits are hilarious though. And if you are American, Hard Times is more biting satire for the modern era.

>Dickens is great for those. His books should be mandatory reading for GMs who want to practice descriptions, scenes, and emotional appeals.

Is Herman Melville good for this too?

>Is Herman Melville good for this too?
Eeeh... I'd say less so. Certainly less entertaining and diverse.

who else would you recommend?

For highly evocative descriptions suitable for use in RPGs? Hrm...

Well read your Dickens first, that's for sure. It's a long road but it will be worth it.

I'd start with Capote next. The short stories, mostly. Save "In Cold Blood" as a delicious reward.

Bradbury, particularly "Something Wicked This Way Comes". Try to pin down how he's able to evoke emotions in you without ever doing anything obvious or blunt. Look at his sentence structure and his word choices. SWTWC is also wonderful to read aloud.

That should be enough to get you started, I hope.

tiny pets.

>personal objects accessories and set off, inform, help convey something about, or identify a character.

Draw your own conclusions.

blindfolds and collars

Post musical instruments.

Anybody got ties, pins, cufflinks, or other things that go with suits?

canes are cool