Arms and Armour thread

Arms and Armour thread

last one

Winged spear is a real term, common in the Early Middle Ages and to a lesser extent later on. The wings tend to be very short and are either straight or rarely swept back, in contrast to the much larger and more developed arms on weapons such as partisans and ranseurs.

Reposted from last thread, now with image.

Related thread.
Arms and armor are an important part of showing who characters are, what they do, and are prepared for.

But there are other things that inform a character as well.

Posted my reply in the last thread, but wanted to say thanks again.

er

posting some highly decorated morions from the metropolitan museum and some sallets after

Don't know how practical it is, but fuck me that helmet looks cool.

I guess I'll fill in. Any requests?

Suppose i'll put my trip on

got any good full suits? Preferably european but any kind as long as its nice

Certainly. Plate? Composite? Any particular time period?

Looking for dueling weapons from the 1600s onward.

nothin specific, just like to see how wacky they can get while being practical

The only purpose made dueling weapons of the 17-19thC were matched pistols. Otherwise, its typically just civilian weapons.

Am I right to assume what you really want is rapiers, smallswords, daggers and bucklers?

So you want like, parade/display plate?

sure, sounds nice! I dont know too much about it though

Yes please.

Gotchu bro.

What am I looking at here?

the 16thC love of combining everything: Musket rest, rapier, and warhammer.

Pill me on bronze armor

It was actually not that uncommon during the last years of armoured warfare. Just an expansion on the use of the quillions as a piercing weapon against plate.

Obviously, guns rendered it null eventually.

>Pill me
No.

Forgot my damn pic.

Reverse image brings up a bicycle fork, so it's obviously a 16th century bicycle fork

So if I understand right they used that to punch a guy in plate and it would pierce their armour, and in the first pick they just figured that with a sturdy sheath it could be used as a hammer/pick? Neat.

It looks like they just figured everyone was half swording anyway, may as well make it do that better

Yup. Re-enforced sheaths with spring-button latches. Tough enough to support a musket, or act as a handle for the hammer.

A light sword for unarmoured enemies. A hammer for armoured ones. A musket rest for those not close enough to poke.

Hello Guise, I dont want to derail the thread but I must ask for your input, I really want to bring HMB into my peasant country(Im between Costa Rica and Colombia) and I understand there s nothing historical for us to celebrate or re-enact.

I just love the sheer beauty of HMB and the violence , and the armors..the melee, with all due respect to HEMA practitioners, I just dont feel theres enough action there, and people might not like the technical/study nature of it.

I have a plan to do something here , something small involving plastic armors(polycarbonate) and wooden or polystyrene weaponry, full contact , few rules here and there, kind of trying to mimic HMB. What advice can you give me? Please feel free to delete my post but I would really appreciate your opinion, thanks, heres some real armor.

I do HMB in the US, and its growing like crazy.

There is one huge problem you will run into: The cost of startup means you either need a lot of money, or sponsors. Its not cheap. Its not easy.

Do not use plastic to try to simulate HMB. It will not protect you in the same way, and will not act the same. If you wanna do HEMA (historic fencing) then thats different.

Gonna post some of me(Red) then some other SCA images

Nice harness, shame you chose the wrong century. Is that combat of the thirty at Pennsic? Which kingdom you from?

Looks like a warhammer-hilted sword with built in man-catcher.

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I really wish it were like that here but we are slow on that and many things, even paintball here is just dead and terribly niche.

I thought about the plastics to minimize cost and make it more accesible , I even thought about plywood bending for some kind of armor but the weight\ amount of work ratio was just off the charts.

You think not even hard plastics will do? Even with foam padded wooden swords or synthetic ones? Hmm, Im still experimenting with this, my actual blacksmithy skills are null so making the crudest of steel armors for now at least, its not possible for me.

You are right I need to find sponsors , doing overtime and covering production costs with my paycheck is not going to cut it, plus marketing and making it into a business, is just going to fry my chip. But again thanks for the hints , Ill keep that in mind. Heres some more armor.

As I have mentioned, musket rest.

I'm a Murder Snowflake(Æthelmearc). Shame I choose the wrong century you care to explain? Transitional Armour(Wisby coat of plates) is period. Granted im not rocking a Churnburg or Globose with a wappenrok.

Also yes it is the combat of the thirty. where you from friendo?

First time at the combat of the thirty. My kit is improving each season as I finish more period items

the gentlemens helmet afterwards..."Drink you own blood Beaumanoir." - If you know the story..

>Shame I choose the wrong century you care to explain?
Well, isn't it obvious? 15thC is best C. Duh. Your kit is excellent, its just not 15thC, and thus I feel pity for you :P

I am a T.A.T., or Typical Atlantian Thug(tm). Im SCA born and raised myself, as both my parents play.

I don't have any recent pics as i haven't been to an event lately, just practices. I look fat in all my old ones, as I was.

back with the sallets

what's the material for the hammer head?

>Im SCA born and raised myself, as both my parents play.
Well like the good little Condottieri I am I spit at you pure blood.

So any more pictures of youre Kit?
Interested in the Combat of the Thirty?
Best place to start is to ask and I am here...the french is look for those wishing to spill english blood.

*Dreams for next Pennsic to smash some faces*

Vulcanized rubber. I have one, as well as an axe.

It a harden rubber.

Image is the shoulders I made from my first year at CotT

Elbow cops and rondels

the start of the helmet

>Well like the good little Condottieri I am I spit at you pure blood.

As a Conditterio myself, you could be my grandpa.

>So any more pictures of youre Kit?
Plenty, though I have upgraded and changed much. I have a few shitty pictures from a demo I did at a renfest earlier this year, and then a bunch of old pics.

I have better finger gaunts now, a maille mantle and maille skirt, and im working on a new brig breast to attach to my placard.

normal night at the workshop

You gonna be at Pennsic this year?

Gaunlets I fixed up for myself

>Interested in the Combat of the Thirty?
Not particularly. Not my period of interest, nor do I have the cash for a second kit between this and ACL.

It depends on work. I may be switching to another museum.

Pic is my sallet dressed up for a christmas tourney a few years ago.

*want to polish over and over intensifies*

Thats a nice looking sallet