What do you think about undead paladins?

What do you think about undead paladins?

Other urls found in this thread:

wow.gamepedia.com/Scarlet_Crusade
youtube.com/watch?v=ZsaobgFiiso
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're alright, undead aren't inherently evil in my setting so it's not impossible that a Paladin would be so dedicated as to persist even after death.

Better if they end up becoming oathbreakers in their quest for absolute order. The ends justify the means.

>Undead
>Paladin.
Depends on the setting, but in basic concept it's retarded.
In my settings i might allow an undead Paladin, but only under the most specific situations. Unless I'm running a specifically retarded setting.

OP you double retarded nigger faggot.

No u
I don't really think anything about concepts that abstract. Gib deetz.
nice endless legend

>undead paladins
That sounds awesome, why haven't I thought of that before?

In most settings including mine (you can still do you.) Someone who is brought back to life isn't "undead" unless brought back soulless or through evil means. I think you know what I'm saying.

"Died but still had stuff left to do" is one of the most common forms of undead.
Paladins are one of the classes with the most shit left to do after they die.
It's like pottery.

Also, skeleton knights that fight for justice are a e s t h e t i c

You probably play some kind of DnD or similar system where undead are literally evil and Paladins of course have to be good. Plus in a lot of settings "undead" isn't a playable race.

Another great idea for DnD that is impossible is a barbarian Paladin. You can do it because Paladins have to be lawful and Barbarians have to be Chaotic. But I still love the idea of it. On the other hand an Anti-paladin could multiclass into Barbarian.

Yea but those tend to be evil. If the character is a good Paladin then god will just resurrect them fully so they can get done what they need to get done.

Barbarian paladins are possible (to an extent) in 4e and 5e.

>What do you think about undead paladins?
How else can you Praise the Sun.

Isn't that a Death Knight then?

>god will just
GODS neve "JUST" YOU STINKING PILE OF

I thought 4e paladins had to be Lawful?
Also 5E Paladins are retarded. A not LG Paladin is like a pic related.

Last I checked, death knights were evil Evil.

3e has LE, CE and CG Paladin variants.

For a God resurrecting a guy to finish a thing is just a simple thing for them.

Not in Warcraft, but Warcraft is retarded with it's chosen good guy killing a good of positive energy because it was gana make him a non-edgy fag.
"I will be THE edge lord!"

What even is going on with warcraft anymore?

Pretty cool, and I'd play one if it fit with the campaign.
But really, they're getting a little played out by now.

>those tend to be evil
They tend to be evil because D&D treats corporeal undead (hollow corpses animated with darkbad) the same as incorporeal undead (souls of mortals unwilling or unable to pass from this realm).
And by that, I mean their statblocks have Always Any Evil stuck on there.
It doesn't make any sense, considering they aren't animated by negative energy.
In the same vein as incorporeal undead, I'd let people play unliving corpses repossessed by their spirit.
Depends on the god, but that might be how a god resurrects a champion to fulfill unfinished duties. They just wake up dead.

>If the character is a good Paladin then god will just resurrect them
That's assuming a whole lot.

Last I saw you could play a LE paladin, but only if you pretend to be LG and just so happen to be misguided by a LE God. And a CE Paladin isn't a Paladin, it's an Anti Paladin.

Paladin of Tyranny/Freedom/Slaughter

It was getting really good. Them they rushed it and fucked up.
I guess/heard they have a "that guy" who made his wafiu warchife andade his "husbando" the Lord of edge also the hero choosen boi.

It was almost epic.

>Assuming an undead Paladin isn't evil.
That's like assuming a God would resurrect a servant. Cept God resurrecting a guy to do a job makes sense.

Used as eternal guards of precious/holy sites. Positive energy can reanimate a paladin so they retain sentience but it requires ludicrous amounts of proper divine runes, magical seals, etc. that they are effectively confined to a small area (say, hundreds of meters) around the site they are to protect.

The lack of senses and sensual information eventually begins to play tricks on their minds and they eventually become forgetful of their past life, since their mind is stuffed with hundreds and then thousands of years of inane and trivial goings on since it has nothing to categorize new memories as good or bad.

Are there any examples of modern authors who add good stuff to old lore? It almost always sucks.

I think Endless Legend was a really shit game.

Agreed, it was mind-bogglingly boring even for a 4x

>That moment when the god of mankind blesses his most chosen with gift of undeath letting them continue to perform acts of heroism and righteous fury

Thems be my paladins.

What you don't like Saint Bones

Wouldn't he carry on his name from his before life? Or is he new life filling a corpse?

It's not like there's anything stating that a Barbarian has to be chaotic either. Hell, alignment restrictions have more-or-less been phased out in 5e, wtih shit like divine sense focusing more on detecting outsiders than detecting evil as a concept.

They're pretty alright.

I hope the new remaster is good.

I honestly love the concept of a Paladin so devoted to their god/ideals that they live on after they should naturally die.

It's a shame that RAW in most settings state that undead pretty much have to be Evil or Neutral at best. Luckily, most GMs I've had are more than happy to waive that.

>but Warcraft is retarded with it's chosen good guy killing a good of positive energy because it was gana make him a non-edgy fag
Light isn't good. That's what the setting has been trying to convey. Fel isn't inherently bad. Shadow isn't inherently bad. It's a matter of balance and extremes. That Prime Naaru was using its light as a compelling force to mesmerize everyone present. It tries to brainwash Illidan by force to be a tool of its will, and he fought back.

Speaking of Warcraft and undead paladins.

But Dan is not a paladin. He is an undead knight.

Felcuck detected

I love them for the idea that their duty doesn't end even in death.

>God will just resurrect them
Why the fuck would a god care about one measly follower? You assume way too much about gods. Your gods are shit.

Undead paladins guard the Holy Grail. It doesn't get more fucking good then that.

>be forsaken and wanted dead by everyone including most of the gods
>either have to worship an inanimate object or the gods that just use you as a tool
I like the take that they're just zombies who find religion.

>one measly follower
you would be right, except that paladins are the fucking champions chosen of that god.

>except that paladins are the fucking champions chosen of that god.

Again you're putting a great deal of importance. Paladins can be members of whole orders of one denomination of one church, based off of one faith for the god. Several degrees of seperation.

They aren't the chosen champions. They're just faithul, and that gives them power, not the attention or favour of the god.necessarily

Well i was sure that was the difference between clerics and paladins. clerics were simply faithful while paladins were chosen or atleast part of an order of chosen.

>paladin dies
>comes back to life to keep his oath
It could be pretty awesome

Nope.

Clerics are Priests first, Warriors second. They're the ones that have the spells to do the ceremonies and healing and shit.

Paladins are Warriors first, Faithful second. They're like crusaders and knights militant.

One important thing to add is that for most of the game Light was effectively Good and Shadow/Fel for all purposes Evil. You had Warlocks and Scarlet Crusade to show it's not perfectly set in stone, but most players still got used to the simplistic version.

The Naaru went from enduring years of torture to help drug addicts with their withdrawel to uncaring, inhuman machines demanding blind obiedience. There's a massive dissonance and Illidan's big fuckoff moment was probably too early for people to take the shift in tone well.

A cool concept that hasn't really been fully realized in any sort of mainstream media, but has been beaten to death on the internet.
Same with that urban fantasy movie Will Smith is doing. It feels like it's just treading old ground, but in reality I'm having trouble even thinking of an RPG based around urban fantasy (without going into cyberpunk territory).

In WoD they established that Nature isn't good. So they did set a precedent. WoD goes over how Primal Life is basically life that consumes everything unto annihilation, and that when the Titans were setting up Draenor they basically had to smash a primal hivemind.

>probably too early for people to take the shift in tone well.

This.

>14 years of the Light being a legimate force of good.
>Suddenly writers start masturbating over "morally grey" ideas.
>Illidan becomes hero instead of anti hero, demons are just misunderstood, and they make the Light into corruption fetish fuel to breifly sate Metzen's fetish.

Nature doesn't have the same associations with good as light because it's easier to see animals being harmful by looking into them than to disprove a vaguely defined god-spirit-force thing that can be whatever you want it to be.
I think the problem with Warcraft in that regard is that these changes have only been in the background for now. You need to be pretty in their face or people will simply carry over their assumptions, that's why we have so much arguing past each other and calling people names for both having and not having wizards in armor, good demons, non-good paladins, etc.
Of course if you are pretty obvious about not adhering to conventions people, especially here, are gonna call you a contrarian.

It's a common issue with media lead by big corporations. You need to produce the same type of content you got an audience for and creative ideals of the work will change to allow this. This can be done without pissing people of, but WoW had some fuckery in their planning anyway and simply doesn't have good writing so this was already set for disaster.

years of the Light being a legimate force of good.
wow.gamepedia.com/Scarlet_Crusade

Endless Legend has some fantastically original races. I loved the concept of the Cultists.

More like zombies that find purpose. Honestly, the entire series was just a metaphor for having a reason to go on, dead or not. Some guys like Gael and Patches are implied to have survived since practically the beginning of time as undead because they had purpose.

>paladins are chosen champions of that god

then by that measure the king of murderhobos is also a paladin

>What do you think about undead X?
I hate it because you're just going to abuse the immunities and make lame puns.

Justice is eternal.

Paladins are empowered by their oaths and virtue, faggot. Even FR doesn't demand that Paladins basically be Clerics with better armor and weapon proficiency.

One:
>Implying the Scarlet Crusade were evil.

And two: The Scarlet Crusade were there to show that *people* who used the Light could do evil things. Especially when you're taking orders from a Dreadlord. They were misled into doing evil, they weren't evil themselves.

They are cool, undead being inherently evil is fucking dumb, that role is already filled in by demons

>>Implying the Scarlet Crusade were evil.
It's canon members of the Scarlet Crusade end up in Super-Hell when they die.

Only undead go to super hell.

>with it's chosen good guy killing a good of positive energy
You didn't read any of the quest text or pay attention to the cinematic or listen to the audio drama at all did you?

>audio drama
Is there an audio drama now?

Regardless, it's about perspective, Illidan killed what was consudered a God of Light and goodness, up until Illidan killed it. It's a massive and sudden swing in narritive and world building.

>youtube.com/watch?v=ZsaobgFiiso
Here you go user, it explains the concept of light and void they're trying to push a little better than what is appearing in game currently (outside of the quests with Locus Walker and Alleria).

>Death knight
>"""Good"""
I mean, if you take death knight as """good""" you can also take cartoonish police states as """good""" user.

Taking damage every time you cast spells isn't smart, be an undead warrior instead sonny.

I don't like bone memes, they pale in the light of actual jokes and bone dry by now.

Sounds like you have a bone to pick with the idea.

>ever using alignment
Fucks wrong with yall

When our paladin died, we were distraught. Luckily, we ran into a friendly necromancer who offered to revive our friend for some gold. This did not go as planned, however, because as soon as that fucker got revived his first instinct was SMITEALLEVIL and he killed the necromancer, thus undoing the spell and causing him to die again immediately. That player did not join us again.

>Are there any examples of modern authors who add good stuff to old lore? It almost always sucks.
People don't generally start differentiating between new and old lore until they start getting pissed off about new additions so that question is kind of pointless.

Very rare.
To the point where if you find two of them they would be centuries apart of each other.

I'd say it would need to require the direct intervention of a deity.
Literally a deity going "You! You specifically. I like you. You will now be my champion!" To someone who is spiritually aligned with the deity right as they die.

>ever letting a glorified checklist to dictate your character and how they're portrayed in the story based on some arbitrary, out of context scenarios

faggots like you are even worse for not only perpetuating the use of alignment, but trying to justify their existence with worse and worse examples every day

But they're not undead, they just managed to upload their consciousness to clouds of nanobots that use suits of armor as exoskeletons.

>EVEN IN DEATH, I SERVE!