>gatherer.wizards.com

How did you do at FNM, anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PlICJsW9t-A
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-dredge-43726#paper
mtggoldfish.com/deck/861257#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

8whack is awful. A pile of 1/1's that occasionally awkwardly get pumped, but only in power, and have no trample. Literally the only thing that doesn't suck is goblin grenade.

Why is Eldrazi Tron so perfect?

Ban eldrazi temple and they are all shit again.

I don't know who made this Eldrazi Ninja deck, but this meme has been fan fucking tastic.

>Playing
Blue Staff. It's been interesting.
>Hating
People that want bans.
>Brewing
Nothing really. I've just been tweaking this list.

>and have no trample
I sure hope you are running Legion Loyalist and have read the card

>How did you do at FNM
2-2 running burn
2-0 v Grixis Control, 2-1 v 8 Rack, 1-2 v Affinity, 1-2 Burn mirror match

I memed myself in game 2 of 8 Rack, I sided in my destructive revelries but failed to realise that I took out my fucking 1 stomping ground and put it into my EDH deck. I had checked my deck earlier before the event started, counted 59 cards but for some reason I was also missing a searing blaze as well so I put that in. No idea what the fuck was happening when I was counting my cards.

>1 card can activate trample, but requires 3 creatures attacking to activate and it gets killed by forked bolt
I mean yeah, it's technically there but this whole deck is so flimsy and jank. Seriously, without lightning bolt and goblin grenade this deck would be unplayable.

The thing is it's the definition of a class cannon. With the perfect hand it kills turn 2 or 3, but most of the time it stumbles a bit or the opponent has interaction and fucks it over. So yeah, definitely don't play it unless you're poor.

>but requires 3 creatures attacking to activate
You should have NO problem getting Loyalists battalion triggers in 8 whack. This is a non-problem.
>it gets killed by forked bolt
It gets killed by bolt, push, path, galvanic blast, darkblast, what's your point?

Oh and I also got a promo Canopy Vista as my end of event promo. Kicks the shit out of a token.

>it gets killed by a shitty sorcery that literally nobody runs.
wow

>With the perfect hand it kills turn 2 or 3
Umm what?

Not that user but the 8 whack list I ran had two options to get a turn 2 kill;
T1: Signal Pest/Foundry St
T2: BTE, BTE, BTE, BTE, Surgewhacker swing for 20/21 damage.

So is Jeskai Control really that good right now? I can definitely see it shitting on the combo decks running rampant but how is it beating the Tron variants?

>This is a non-problem.
It is, because if the opponent interacts at all it can take you down to 2 attackers or even a board wipe.

>It gets killed by bolt, push, path, galvanic blast
My point is that it gets killed by a single point of damage. There are a variety of ways of doing that, including a shitty sorcery.

Above.

Look buddy... I don't think modern is for you if you are this shook by your creatures dying to removal. Maybe at least run Mono-G Stompy that way you won't have your precious little x/1's killed.

The point is that it gets shut down to a 1/1 on the ground, basically useless. Again, the deck is supported by the crutch of grenade and bolt, the rest of the cards aren't really good.

You know what, post me your 8 whack list, I want to have a giggle.

4x Reckless Bushwhacker
4x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Foundry Street Denizen
2x Goblin Chieftain
4x Goblin Grenade
4x Goblin Guide
1x Goblin Heelcutter
3x Goblin Piledriver
4x Legion Loyalist
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Mogg Fanatic
4x Mogg War Marshal
17x Mountain
2x Contested War Zone

No Burning-Tree Emissary, Contested War Zone is a meme, Heelcutter is pointless, not enough blue in meta for Piledriver, Chieftain is debatable.

>playing
Amulet Titan
>hating
People who whine about the meta
>brewing
Amulet spice
>how'd you do at FNM?
4-0 this week. 2-0 Jeskai, 2-1 Jeskai, 2-0 8whack, 2-0 jeskai

Goblin won't be good until they reprint goblin lackey

>Playing
Knightfall
Grixis Death's Shadow
Ponza
>Hating
Tron and the uninteractive shitstorm it causes
>Brewing
I'd love to brew up a 4c Molten Vortex + Loam control deck that just grinds people out
>How did you do at FNM, anons?
3 rounds as Knightfall, won the first 2 then ID'd the last to guarantee both of us top 2. We played for the prizes and he won, but I came 1st in the standings ;^)

Interesting combo.
How long does it take to go off?

It can go off as early as turn 3 if that's what you mean.

So have you tried pentaid prism?
I am running two and have liked it

Is Merfolk still good or should I move onto something else?

Has Merfolk ever really been good?

Dude what the hell are are you on? That list is stock, your only valid critique was piledriver. Plz post your super secret tech

B L U E S T A F F

Nice list dude!! Chalice of Life/Death seems gnarly as fuck, ever try Pristine Talisman? Has different ups and downs to it, but is a neat variant of that sort of effect. personally reppin that magnifying glass draftdeck mvp allstar

I tried it awhile back but preferred Chalice over it since it in itself is a wincon.
I was also running Mag Glass as a one of but decided to drop it.

I mean you did just pull that list off of the most recent 5-0. Which automatically contradicts your point, if the list is good enough to 5-0 it has something going for it. It might not be the best deck, it most certainly isn't, but if you're losing with it consistently its probably because of your play or that you haven't tweaked the deck to your meta. The core of 8whack is solid if one dimensional, it can beat a couple of cheap removal spells. It can get under even 3 mana board wipes. Complaining that legion loyalist dies to removal is beyond stupid, all of your cards die to removal. Which is why removal means less to you.

All my shit is valid, I have an 8 whack deck. I'll post it after this because the list I have on tapped out is very out of date but shit like BTW is NOT super secret tech and should be in 100% of 8 whack decks because it synergizes so well with everything in 8 whack, turns on surgewhacker for FREE, cast any 1 drop off it for FREE, cast Mogg War Marshal off it for FREE, cast fucking Piledriver off it for FREE, cast another BTE off it for FREE, cast a 2rd fucking BTE off it for FREE, hell you know what you can cast off it for FREE? Your 4th BTE.

The Burningtree/whacker package is sweet but that's more 8Trees zoo than 8Whack goblins.

Honestly the list seems decent. warzone is underrated, sure it can be swingy but the payoff is very often worth it, but I agree Heelcutter looks pretty subpar

then again I'm reaallly high on Piledriver/Cheiftan in the deck which, aside from a reasonable amount of targets for 'Nades, are the only synergies that BTE doesn't apply to.
Would like to see your list, seems dope.

This is pretty close to the 75 I ran (sideboard far right), but 1 more war marshal and -1 mountain, I have no clue where my other marshal is.

BTE is an auto insert regardless into 8 whack, it's too strong to not put in. War Zone is bad because majority of decks in modern are agro so you're gonna get memed by your own war zone.

I'm sorry guys, but this is fucking HUGE.

youtube.com/watch?v=PlICJsW9t-A

I got into card games from Hearthstone and I'm thinking about getting into MTG, since the only thing you get out of Hearthstone cards is either the card you want or dust, a tiny fraction of what the card is worth.

How much of an investment is this game? How much do decks typically cost? I looked at a few Ramunap Red decks because aggro is usually far cheaper than control but it still came out to ~$230. Also, do card values deteriorate if you play them even with inner and outer sleeves?

Thanks.

>How much of an investment is this game? How much do decks typically cost?
This is Modern, you're looking at $500 entry for a consistent competitive deck

What you're looking at is Standard, this thread is for Modern.
Here's what our meta looks like right now (prices included)
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

My bad. The names made them seem identical at first glance.

Thanks.

Also, the reason Modern is more expensive is because the cards are generally much more powerful and the format doesn't rotate every 2 years like Standard does so take that into account if you want to start playing.

See this is a particularily sweet list which takes full advantage of BTE, but I still wouldn't necessarily say it's an autoinclude in all Whacker lists.
If someone were to run 4 Piledriver 2-4 Chieftan, you'd notice the countersynergy with the Signal Pest/BTE, considering the only real ~need~ for minmaxing your goblin subtype is Nade (and there's more than enough with half your 60 being goblins)
I personally have never considered Pest or BTE but here they fit quite nicely.

deec/10 dude

>playing
titanshift, bant knightfall, uw control, merfolk
>hating
decks that don't let people play namely blood moon, chalice and lantern
>brewing
more like trying out, but RUG scapeshift with search as well as Todd Stevens' GW ghost quarter deck with the new snek

Alex, I'll take what is black mana for $200.

If you're not sure if you'll like the game, start with a cheap standard deck like UR Drake or GW Aggro. Should only be $25-$50. If you like it move to Modern or EDH.

im buying into modern soon, and im enjoying dredge so far, i have a $450 budget and this deck would work fine but how do i edit it so its less crap? it doent have anything like scourge devil in it.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-dredge-43726#paper

>Fallen empires goblin grenades
Good taste

if you want the lands for modern buy into the fetchlands and shocklands, thoes are the immediate two kinds of lands that are used

I really wish there was a 4th art in the set though.

I'm steadily buying up the tech for Grixis Delver/Death's Shadow, Naya Burn and Jeskai Control. Considering the cards in those decks are there any other builds that have very similar tech and I only have to buy a few more cards to complete them?

Storm. Worst part of that deck is the mana base.

its won major tournaments before

wew

here's the blue stuff pile been memeing with, losing to stony has never been such a blast

Can I use Sundering Growth on my own Wurmcoil to generate three tokens?

Look into pauper, it's the cheapest format that has has players. Great decks for very low prices and they fit most playstyles. The downside is that it's got a weaker card pool and you can't pull off the coolest things.

This is wrose than that copying gearhulk meme last thread

>Sundering Growth
No. Because the effects of Sundering Growth happens before Wurmcoil's trigger to create 2 tokens.

thanks senpai

>Play Jeskai
>Have trouble with Tron
>Fuck it, this thing targets every single Tron win condition
>Slap in 3 in the sideboard
>Actually face against Tron
>Slap it on Karn
>Put another one on Urza tower
>This shit is working
>manage to win before they blow me the fuck out with another copy of their win conditions

Still dumb meme that won't work if they have ANYTHING in their hand

Man Rudy lost his marbles this time. I'm slowly enjoying his dent into madness desu.

Also

>playing
burn
death and taxes
goblins
>brewing
shiitty homebrew
>hating
nothing desu it's a fairly balanced meta if you aren't a little bitch.

>buys out all the bazzars
The madman fucking did it

>playing
somewhat budget ub faeries
>hating
nothing
>brewing
metallurgic summonings and spirit shit

please refrain from using images of my wife.

fae are ok, my current homebrew is land control try something with that with the little blue bastards and your ganteteed to lose friends tho.
nigga I do as I damn well please.

>land control

List?

>my current homebrew is land control try something with that with the little blue bastards and your ganteteed to lose friends tho.
I think I will try it. Do you have a deck list?

not done at all but heres what there is so far, not for any kind of play outside of friendly matches.

4 contaminaded grounds
4 spreading seas
4 stone rain
4 pooling venom
3 abupt decay
4 seismic spike
4 Fulminator Mage
-----------------
4 ghost quarter
4 city of brass
4 mana confuince
4 blood crypt
1 moutian
1 island
1 forest
2 swamp

working out stuff from what I have currently on the weekends with my bros.

>inb4 thoughtseize

So I asked for help in the last thread, as a beginner, regarding the Mind vs Might set. Having played a little, it seems very heavily skewed towards "Might", with "Mind" not doing so well.

I also bought the Hualti, Dinosaur Knight deck, which seems to fair somewhat better. However, playiing both decks seems to rely rather heavily on getting the exact starting hand, otherwise you're crippled for the whole game. I know CCGs rely on luck in general, but I felt like I was in so little control of what was happening, although it may also have been me being shit.

Is this because they're starter decks, which aren't exactly known for being well constructed? And can a decent Red/White Dinosaur themed deck even be made?

Also, thoughts on Unstable? I know they're not *legal*, but are they playable, casually?

Just ordered the shell of this user.

Thanks for the idea.

Thanks

Careful lad.

Jund is a big thing same with death's sadow. I'd only rely on pooling venom for it's second ability if you plan on using the shell of this thing I pooped out.

try blood moon or the magus like I said it's in heavy beta and I'm still testing it with my group while buying stuff from my lgs with my paychecks when I can.

np user

Are you playing against people using their own constructed decks? Pre-built decks provided by Wizards are often decent enough to function around a certain theme but what they often lack is the speed and consistency that high end decks use. Highly tuned constructed decks will be filled with Scry mechanics (Look at so many of the top cards of your library and either put them on the bottom of your library or back on top in any order you wish), Tutor/Fetch mechanics (Searching your library for specific cards) and Cantrips (Spells that have an effect and also make you draw a card). They will often also have powerful card synergies and tricks to force out cards at a much faster rate. Meanwhile most precon decks just follow a theme and have a system of "Play small cards, then bigger cards and then the really big card!".

The "Un-" sets are perfectly fine for casual play and can sometimes be more enjoyable since the mechanics are much more lax on them.

Brewing Esper (Because I love it, not because I think it's better than jeskai or a tier 1 deck) search for azcanta hard control atm. Loving turn 4 cyrptic followed by turn 6 gearhulk a cryptic. The list is a bit made for my meta that's heavy on infect and DS and even a guy who mains zur/geist thus the extra blessed alliances in side and extra path in the main instead of 4 1 mana removal like I'd take to GP. Also, just switched the visions out for opts to make the deck a bit more instant speed and actually liking it more for the deck overall even if vision is a better card on paper.

Tried rule of law vs storm in side and wasn't that impressive. like to just have the duress/negate and use rest in peace. even celestial purge hits goblin and pyro.

Thoughts? Life is tough doing hard control with the variety of decks you play against, but so far loving it and having great results. Thinking of trying Narset instead of Jace for a few weeks for fun even though it sounds awful.

This a good deck to buy into?

link cause im stupid
mtggoldfish.com/deck/861257#paper

Not right now, no.
Dredge is only good if graveyard hate isn't big in the meta (which it is).
If you wait a few months I'm sure it'll be good again and then go back to being shit right after.

i was going to buy into it over the summer. but it just seems like a decent deck to chug along with in modern

Like I said, Dredge is only good if there's essentially zero graveyard hate.
When there isn't though, it's pretty much unstoppable.
It's very much a meta-specific deck so if you're okay with that, it's perfectly fine.

Enough to get by
Suits me fine
there any edits i could make to it?

I mean if you want a cheap deck to just "get by" especially as an intro into the format just play burn or an aggro deck like all the 5c tribal decks like allies or slivers (humans requires a bit more practice and is less just aggro face every turn). Something that will always be able to get wins with little practice no matter what the meta is, but you can never expect to be the "best deck" at any time

>Eldrazi Ninja

deck?

true, but i've been playing on xmage in the absence of an lgs to go to within a reasonable driving distance, but im moving this summer to a spot that has a lgs that's way closer so i want to get drege in paper so i can play it there,

It's a complete and utter meme

>You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
>Win on turn three.

Meme creator here.

Don't use that list. It's inefficient compared to a Mono-blue list.

Here's the most updated list. It works so much better since white cards die in your hand sometimes since it's hard to fix mana. And I think Field of Ruin should be upped to 3.

if merfolk doesn't get some dope shit next set i'm selling and picking up a vengevine deck

merfolk is fun play when it works, but the creatures are boring as shit and you only run like 2 interactive spells in the main (excluding harbinger who's "must be tapped" clause is really annoying 50% of the time and my boi cursecatcher)

anyone got some vine spice?

That hollowone meme deck

fuck this looks fun
>4x goblin lore
yes all in

i might just grab the shell now, wait on masters 25 and see if leylines/street wraiths/vengevine gets those reprints

>people trade-in cards at 60-70% value to get a new deck

I don't understand why people do this

This is cool but like all the tron win conditions do something devastating when played besides wurmcoil, like this doesn't help that much vs newlamog or Karn exiling your shit

...to play new decks?

do you expect me to spend $700 every time i want to try something or spend effectively 100~ after trading for an entirely new deck?

try going to your LGS to trade cards for cards, you can swap your KTK fetches for like $5

>just spend $500 on lands man you'll never have to worry again xD
yeah but $5 a year or $500 now and then i can sell them for like $300 when i'm done playing magic hmm real hard choice

Lmao poorfag

no i just make efficient financial decisions :)

>not just having daddy's money
sucks to suck

You can try different decks online for free

Modern is a format that rewards experience and knowing how to play with your deck well. If you're content with effectively renting decks every month because you get bored of the last one then whatever.

I don't make much money but I won't do stupid shit like trade in a deck + money to play another deck.

do you beg for cummies you slut