/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:
DMs how do you decide what types of societies, cultures and kingdoms/empires are going to be in your game?

Players where do you start in making a character? Do you create a backstory then figure out a race and class or do the reverse?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2015/08/18/can-sorcerer-use-multiple-metamagic-on-spells/
reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/7b9p36/5e_homebrew_artificer_version_cannonsmith_thunder/
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LfGULl6R3WFQxkME_fORSbT2FA0MGou0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Players where do you start in making a character?
It's usually a focus on a single mechanic I want to explore, and then expanding out into what kind of person would have that mechanic. Like my scheming evil Goolock that started as "I bet Awakened Mind would let me be the best vizier ever," and my showboating Bard who called himself Goldenpalm who started as "Light cast on Michael Jackson's sequin glove."

Me and my players actually worked together to design our current setting and its lore.

It sounds weird but it's a lot easier/quicker, and introduces players to the knowledge they ought to know at the same time. I actually really recommend it to anyone with a homebrew setting. It's pretty fun in its own right too.

>DMs how do you decide what types of societies, cultures and kingdoms/empires are going to be in your game?

Generally rule of cool applies

I shamelessly rip-off the coolest bits of lore from other settings (not just D&D), mythology, and history.
I always try to incorporate all races, classes, and monsters officially available, and then I just kinda force it to work.

Worked-out pretty well thus far.

I'd love to do this but I hate how two of my players write lore. One is "super multiverse extradimensional godkilling POWER everywhere" which clashes with the low magic vibe I strive for and enjoy, and the other is a shameless elfaboo who keeps trying to shoehorn his cringey mary-sue elves into everything.

I usually start with a character archetype.

>Valkyrie
>Non-magical support-based character
>Tankiest tank ever

Then I usually min-max the shit out of the idea.

Followed by the lovely step of coming up with a nice story that ties it all together into one cohesive, believable package.

>Minmaxed a character to get the highest damaging move in a single turn
>6d6 +2d4 +24d8
>The character is an old paladin that travels and prays to show the world the grandest show of holy power

>A coffeelock that's going to abuse the shit out of having a limitless supply of 4th level sorcerer/cleric spells
>A tiefling who made a pact with a demon and was able to outsmart his patron to forcefully steal and sap away it's powers to fuel his limitless spellcasting

Those are just two of my most extreme examples

You can shape it. I've got a pretty dark world, huge religious war dominating pretty much half the continent.

My wife is playing an avariel sun soul monk that worships Apollo. She wears bright red ribbons... And that's about it.

I'm going to make every single person stare at her until she changes clothes, and when we built her homeland, I put her as far north as I possibly could, and put her monastery at the top of a fucking 200 foot tall plateau, because her culture isn't touching any of my fucking culture.

If you make your continent large enough and give the areas your players have control over small enough, you can generally drown out the flavor you don't like.

>sexy bird wife

Interesting

Are there any situations in which using Minor Conuration to summon a sword or shield would be useful besides "we lost all our shit"?
Initially I had thought about conjuring a shield in battle if I knew I was going to take a hit, but apparently shields are considered armor for the purpose of lacking-proficiency downsides. Does not being proficient with your armor affect how you take damage? Or could the shield still have some positive effect?

I realize that there are better spells for protection, but Minor Conjuration doesn't use any spell slots, so I'm just curious if it can be even slightly useful in this way.

And eventually she's going to shoot anime balls of light out of her fists because she's a fucking weeb in my medieval continent.

But it's okay, because it's every bodies story, and she should get to have fun, too.

Non-proficiency in armour means
You have disadvantage on all strength and dex checks
You can't cast spells

First I come with a race/class/background combo I think will work well or at least in an interesting way in gameplay

Then I come-up with a story how they got there, especially if it is a more outlandish combo lore-wise

Then come-up with a personality that would make sense for someone with a backstory like that, while also preferably playing against type

Playing a Revised Ranger Gnome in a game I joined, what subclass should I go?

By the looks of things we have 2 squishy melee characters with a Rogue and Monk, then a Tank/Fullcaster with the Druid. I was thinking of going Beast to give us some more meat, but Gloom Stalker is tempting.

Well, as an action you can gain +2 AC. I think at that point just using the dodge action would be better.

However you could make a small wall as full cover against effects, or a box to protect an unconscious ally.

This is why I also have a Not!Asia continent with my setting, which has a China/Japan hybrid nation based around Wuxia and Battle Shonen cliches.

It has no baring on the plot, most people in the Not!Europe continent that the campaign is taking place in are not even aware of it, but it exists (and is even a home to some of the more exotic races).
So in case a weeboo joins my party, or someone who wants to play a less standard race, I em prepared.
also have a Not!America and Not!Africa for same reason

>or a box to protect an unconscious ally
The spell specifies "in your hand or an unoccupied space within 10 feet" meaning you couldn't conjure the box directly over the ally, as it would be occupied space. You'd have to conjure it next to them and shove them into it.

Though, am I interpreting "unoccupied" correctly? Or does it just mean you can't conjure something that literally intersects an existing object?

The trapper in my tomb of horror group is a halfling Gloom Stalker, seems pretty cool.

Also, maximum weight of 10 pounds. I'm not sure how protective a 10 pound wall of any material would be, given how thin I imagine it would need to be in order to cover a crouching person and remain 10 pounds.

The one continent that my players know about (And that I have put any work into) is surrounded by a massive hurricane all the time... Secrety campaign stuff. But all the major races are there, all the major topographies are there... Im getting to the point that Im a little worried about what Im going to put on the other continents.

Probably just gonna find a group of fuckin weird races none of my players thought about meeting.

"Oh yeah, this is the one continent where thri-kreen, tibaxi, garden gnomes and turkeys come from."

Cuz I havent happened to mention turkeys before now.

It isn't about a physical barrier, cover is cover because it obscures where you are.

Fog doesnt weigh shit, but it'll give you +2 AC. I think. My 5e is foggy.

Make yourself a 3ft tall shrub.

Since you're playing Revised, you're pretty much good with whatever. Beast is probably your best bet, but Hunter's damage is actually decent enough. The Deep Stalker is ok as well.

Keep in mind that if you want to use the Xanathar subclasses, you need to use PHB Ranger. Revised Ranger is a standalone thing, so you're limited to what's on the PDF.

Concealment is the word Im looking for.

Oh when you said "cover against effects" I thought you meant, like, protection from a wave of fire or something.

The op was asking about shields, so I figured he was just looking for AC.

Could also just make yourself a cardboard box and get in it. Hide check with advantage or somethin. Medieval cardboard.

>Keep in mind that if you want to use the Xanathar subclasses, you need to use PHB Ranger. Revised Ranger is a standalone thing, so you're limited to what's on the PDF.
From what I've heard, Sage Advice says using the Revised Ranger with Xanathar archetypes just requires you to ignore conclave features and add in extra attack at 5th level. Don't know about AL legality though.

I'm still pretty new, so I'm still not sure what all grants AC and such.
I looked up cover mechanics. I could definitely easily conjure something to give me half cover while standing.

From what I can tell, the SRD says that a creature can't be targeted if it is totally concealed, meaning protection isn't a factor. Does this mean that I could create a 3 foot obstacle, go prone behind it, and be completely protected from direct ranged attacks until something throws an attack at the obstacle itself?
That seems like a really good way to always have a one-hit buffer on yourself, regardless of damage.

>My 5e is foggy
Kek'd heartily

Does anyone else do random HP for monsters to keep the party on their toes? Mine started tracking their HP and AC and shit and it kind of feels meta-gamey?

>The noble Wizard player finally grinds his way up to level 9 spells. It's been a long road from his humble beginnings at level 1, and he's looking forward to his just reward.
>The DM cackles nefariously behind his screen, scaping at the greasy pustules at his neck with a d20 as he plots his next le epic meme
>The wizard player, his blue arian eyes brimming with tears, casts the Wish spell. His fellow players, martials and casters alike, put their hands on his shoulders in solidarity as he prepares for this stupendous moment
>The DM can barely contain his excitement, pregame tendies spilling crumbs from his greasy neck beard as he struggles to stifle his autistic glee
>The wizard player smiles for the first time in months. "I wish my family were alive again, here with me, safe and sound."
>The DM roars with laughter, his chins all aquiver. "Your family appear, but the Deathgod" (Whom has never previously been mentioned) "pulls them back into his realm straight away!!! And you as well!!!!!!"
>He starts to cavort around the room, globlets of dried genetic material clearly visible on his anime T-shirt and striped trillby. "HAHAHAHA WISH IS SUCH A MEME SPELL!!!!!!" He extols, "WHEN WILL CASTERKEKS LEARN????"

Apologise /5eg/, apologise RIGHT NOW

If a sorlock blade pact summoned a shadow blade, and used exteded spell enough times, could they bond with the shadow blade? How does that work for spell slots or concentration when summoning your blade through the pact feature?

>Mine started tracking their HP and AC and shit and it kind of feels meta-gamey?

I'd say it IS meta-gamey.

You mean like, you tell them they see a monster and they immediately look it up to see what its stats are?
That's awful. I don't think they should be doing that.

What the goddamn fuck are you blathering about, you blithering, severely autistic idiot.

>Minmaxing in accordance to the story
You are the least bad of powergamers. Congrats I guess (hour characters are pretty cool)

No, but one of them writes down what their AC is based off what the players rolled to be able to hit it and when they kill one they add up the damage required to do so.

Why is there a nature Paladin but no holy Ranger?

there is the monster hunter

So it's just one player tracking the AC and health of the enemies? Is he telling the other players what they are?

What's your favriote weapon the DM has given you.
My DM gave me a great axe that adds an additional point of damage for each hit and a extra attack on nat 20

A gold/obsidian great sword
the obsidian part of the blade does extra necrotic damage, while the golden part does extra radiant damage, depending on which side of the blade you strike with

Knowing the AC doesn't feel like such a big deal to me.

In our group we're rolling for the HP. It's nice. Sometimes a enemy dies quickly and it suprises the players to some extent. Or they expect a quick fight, which doesn't happen then.

It also gives you an oppurtunity to make the enemies your players encounter more than just Ork 1, 2 and 3. The ork with alot of HP looks a little bulkier maybe, while the ork with little HP might look smaller in build.

What if you strike with the flat of the blade?
Can you deal bludgeoning damage along with both extra necrotic and extra radiant damage, since both sides are hitting the enemy?

>Don't know about AL legality though
To fill you in, Re.Ranger is not AL legal.

No. You can only use extended spell or not. It doesn't allow you to use the metamagic multiple times.

interesting outside of the box thinking

I shall ask

Report back when you find out, I am also interested.

>DM asks for concepts from people for future campaign
>4 wizards, 3 undecided

I must convince the group to play an all wizard party, it is my destiny

I think you misunderstood. Binding a magic weapon (which the spell states it is) to your pact takes an hour. For six sorcery points, your shadow blade lasts 64 minutes.
Now after you bind the shadow blade to your pact and your concentration lapses, what happens when you try to summon your shadow blade through your pact feature?

What happens if you bind a regular magic blade to yourself and then melt the blade down in a forge, destroying it? Can you still summon it?

I'm pretty sure you can't spend more than one sorcery point on extended spell

Put in a rule that no two Wizards can have the same spell.

That makes sense.
RAI you can't
sageadvice.eu/2015/08/18/can-sorcerer-use-multiple-metamagic-on-spells/
RAW - the rule says:
You can use only one Metamagic option on a spell when you cast it, unless otherwise noted.
It specifies different metamagics, but doesn't mention reusing the same metamagic.

>Players where do you start in making a character?
I come up with a gimmick. Usually just things to make playing more fun like "Dragonborn raised by Gnomes" or "Crazy dude who believes the party are his minions". Then I make the back story and class fit the gimmick.

>DMs how do you decide what types of societies, cultures and kingdoms/empires are going to be in your game?
Kind of arbitrarily really. A kingdom here, a clan there. then come up with a basic framework of how the place functions until the players decide to go there where I'll then use the time between sessions to flesh it out better if I need to.

It doesn't specify different ones though, it just says
>You can only use one metamagic option
Using the same option twice is still using more then one metamagic.

Is it bad if I use a Shortsword over a Rapier on my S&B Ranger for flavor?

Does anyone have the more updated version of this that kept getting posted here? has he finally changed the level 5 cannonsmith ability?

First, consider that what DnD calls a rapier could also be an Estoc, which is an actual war sword compared to the rapier as a civilian sword.

Second, you lose an average of one damage a hit. Think about all those times a single point of damage changed the course of a battle. Can't think of any? Neither can I. Go nuts.

I've done it multiple ways. For my most recent one, I found one concept I really liked and just ran with it. Pic related

For another, I simply found an image I really liked and came up with a concept that'd fit best for it, and another got shaped up purely by a lifepath I rolled up.

I don't think there's really a wrong way to do it, although sometimes I find that the people who always approach it mechanics-first tend to be the ones to power game.

Even if you're allowed to use the same metamagic many times(and you aren't), it has no additional effect because of stacking rules.

No, you're using the same option several times, not several options. Also you're still only using one metamagic.

On a related note, the LOTR system based on 5e considers a longsword a D8 finesse weapon, which I think most DMs would reasonably allow

I'm also not a fan of rapiers, they have a very narrow fighting style

>reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/7b9p36/5e_homebrew_artificer_version_cannonsmith_thunder/

RAW it works as there are noe specific stacking rules in 5e, nor for reusing the same metamagic.
However RAI it doesn't work that way, and I agree with that.

Does anyone have a trove with Adventurer's League Season 6?

>which I think most DMs would reasonably allow
Doesn't that change the game from "rapier is the best finesse weapon" to "longsword is the best finesse weapon"? There aren't that many characters that use finesse weapons and have shield proficiency, so the Versatile tag ends up making one option just objectively better.

Personally, I'd rather the weapons were just based on tags and size with no name or description applied. That way, if you know that the d8 finesse weapon is the best finesse weapon, you're still going to pick it, but the game book itself lets you decide what it looks like and how your character fights based on that.

Monster Hunter weapon guy again, I added Insect Glaive and put it on Homebrewery for easier viewing.

As always any feedback is appreciated if you are interested in giving it.

There was a Mega link last week that had them. Anyone got it?

cheers bru

If you get a really small human in the world of DnD, what do you call them?

No problem, be sure to voice your opinions and criticisms about the class to the brewer.

I'm playing in a level 10 one-shot dungeon tomorrow night with friends and haven't chosen a character yet. Evens decide what race/class I play. PHB, Volo's and Xanathar's content are all acceptable, as are UA articles.

Character concept;
A Human who was raised in a small city by a family that weren't butchered by bandits, who learned the warrior's trade in the time he had off from his job at the accountancy firm Johnson & Johnson

Revised Ranger with a Dolphin companion. It can't walk on land, but it can breathe. So make sure you have enough strength to throw it at your enemies to attack them.

Elven Divination wizardboi

Someone help me out. A 5e trove with AL Season 6

An overly effeminate Gnommish Law Bard with racial prejudice towards halfelves specifically

Alright lads level 12 moon druid here and gonna die if I don't multiclass. My choices are life, nature, or war cleric and nature pally. Best choice if I wanna keep the control druid thing going.

Oy vey
Human non-variant Elemental Sorcerer

Some user shared this a few threads ago:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LfGULl6R3WFQxkME_fORSbT2FA0MGou0

A reasonable cause for divorce.

>Level twelve moon druid
>Dying
Just transform nigga

Warlock with the Great Old One (coffee) pact.

When building a more defensive Wizard, what spells would you take at low levels?

Drank some shadowdragon blood and god said they'd cure it if I devoted myself to them. Already went on a quest for a cure but there was only one left so I gave it to the guy who didn't have another option.

One last shot for Dragonborn Bearbarian who fights with a trident for literally no good reason

Keep 'em coming, you'll get odds eventually. Some of these are tempting regardless...

Consider it done. Now to work out how to use a trident effectively as a bearbarian... I like the idea of a thick-scaled, tough as nails crocodilian dragonborn a lot,

1st Level Spells: Shield, Absorb Elements, Protection from Good and Evil, Mage Armor, Expeditious Retreat, and Magic Missile.

2nd Level Spells:Blur, Mirror Image, Rope Trick, Darkness, and Hold Person

Unironically, what did he mean by this?
Awww shit my nigga. War Cleric for that sweet heavy armour proficiency perchance?

Samurai Fighter done as an upperclass british officer.

Refluff it as an oversized shrimp fork

What are the best spells for an armored mountain dwarf wizard that exclusively fights in melee combat?

It's a joke in response to the coffeelock.

The idea is a warlock who has drunk enough coffee to have forged a pact with it.

Other GOOlocks may have Awakened Mind, but your mind has insomnia.

Tiefling Samurai Fighter/Hexblade Bladelock who loves cheese and hates violence. They prefer talking their problems out or outsmarting the opposition.

Holy shit, that's beautiful user! Got my next character lined up right here...

>1st Level Spells: Shield, Absorb Elements, Protection from Good and Evil, Mage Armor, Expeditious Retreat, and Magic Missile.
>2nd Level Spells:Blur, Mirror Image, Rope Trick, Darkness, and Hold Person

Good, I have some of these already so I'm on the right track. Any suggestions for an Arcane Tradition?

Shadow Blade, Mirror Image, Booming Blade, Haste, Minor Illusion, and Major Illusion.

>Arcane Tradition
not
>Arcane Trickster
Reading comprehension this morning... Abjuration Wizard is good if you want to stick to the defensive side and be the best counterspell user in thegame, if you want a little more blast with that defensive side War Wizard might be more your style.