Weekend Warcraft Lore General

Where the hell did these guys disappear to Edition

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.
>Document compendium Official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version!
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/wowhead/status/795041188604616704?lang=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably received honorable discharges and went home with a lot of hazard pay.

Warcraft villains are usually the result of coming into close contact with corruption - Fel, Old gods, even freaking radiation with the leper gnomes - and then going irredeemably insane. Should there be some sort of corruption mechanic ala Dark Heresy in a Warcraft game, or is that just kneecapping the high adventure vibe? Is there a way to have a somehow upbeat system for corruption, like just make it really easy to remove? And there are so many sources of corruption, how would you track it?

>Mo'arg
Where are this guys in Legion by the way? A lot of space weirdness from BC sadly disappeared.

>Should there be some sort of corruption mechanic ala Dark Heresy in a Warcraft game
That would be really cool in some form of perma-death mmo/rogue-like. Because players will know that their character is just a temporally thing and they won't get angry one their character they've sunk 100+ hours into is now permanently evil.

they got fired and turned into generic big guys for us after the poor performance of non-fel reaver magitec in Outland

Gan'arg were replaced as engineers by a generic Diablo-esque demons in Legion.

>perma-death mmo/rogue-like
That would unlock a lot of cool things
> be alliance warrior
> get killed by orc warlock
> he rises my corpse as a skeleton minion
> see him on my new character I've rolled (dwarf rifleman)
> he sends out my old character as a minion to try and kill my new character
>a snipe him with my rifle
> my old character is now a hostile NPC undead roaming the land, killing weak player characters

Would be lit

These are some of the stupidest demon designs I have encountered. So stupid and cartoonish, like straight out of league of legends.

Legion got more serious and grimdark

Mm, you know you aren't wrong. That makes me think of Don't Starve. Without getting too far off track, a sort of survival in the wilds thing could work for Warcraft I think, maybe. Cause there are tons of places where the wilderness is loaded with unexpected adventures - that's practically every low level quest. And honestly it might fit in better with the overall quest system of WoW, since a lot of the early game stuff is wandering around hubs looking for stuff and seeing the world, rather than the guided story-driven stuff late-game. You think that would work or would players want more to do with the cities. And far as corruption goes, do you think they would feel cheated if their character lost it just by wandering in the woods stumbling on corrupt beasts and not in some overarching fight against evil?

Awful decision. In BC, the Legion felt like a heterogeneous, multicultural army of space invaders from all around the universe - which is exactly what it is. In Legion, though, they were made to look like bog-standard demons from hell. All of the colours were gone, replaced by eeevul black and eeevul green. But this approach doesn't work when your overall style is so cartoonish and your plot looks like it was written by a 12 year old.

"but muh grimdark and muh serious, bc was stupid and for kids, and i am a grown man now!"

I guess this explains why it feels like Hearthstone has a better written plot than WoW proper

The worst thing about the later zones is how much they try to push the idea of it being single-player when questing. Which is probably the one thing that bothers me more than anything else, stop trying to make me feel "important", if I wanted to feel important, I'd play a single-player RPG, not an MMO

>And far as corruption goes, do you think they would feel cheated if their character lost it just by wandering in the woods stumbling on corrupt beasts and not in some overarching fight against evil?
As long as there is some kind of corruption stat that shows just how corrupted they are and how much more corruption they can get before becoming mindless killers the players won't feel cheated.

Maybe even add powerful spells/weapons that increase your corruption level a you use them.

>In BC, the Legion felt like a heterogeneous, multicultural army of space invaders from all around the universe - which is exactly what it is

That was terrible. BC turned them into just another army. Legion just continued it.

>the Legion felt like a heterogeneous, multicultural army of space invaders from all around the universe
It is also happened to the Army of the Light. We were promised an army of survivors of different worlds the Legion has destroyed and otherwise slaughtered the populations of, have been fighting them across the cosmos for thousands of years. Yet every member shown is a Draenei, with the exception of one human, one high elf and one demon. I guess Blizzard are too afraid to go on a full sci-fi route.

>army of light: 1 spaceship
>azeroth army doesn't even bring Tempest Keep to help

4 factions when?

Probably more like;

>oh shit, we need to make up several new races, as well as basic lore for them, which the players will never get to play as, will probably beg us to play as, just so we can have a diverse Army of Light
>Naaaa, just make 'em all Draenei.

>>army of light: 1 spaceship
What happened to a dimensional ship used by Brothraxion to travel to Netherlight Temple and aid the Conclave?

I think I read a forum post or itnerview somewhere where some blizzard guy something along the lines of "Players don't like it when an npc is the star of the show. They want to be the star of the show".

>Probably more like
True, but they also could have changed textures on some pre-existing demons to make them Light-infused. Like what they did with Lothraxion.

The WoW Lore is shit.
Its not salvagable.

Its time to let go and bury that dead horse, look how they fucked up Starcraft and Diablo 3, Warcraft will never not be shit again.

The simple truth is that WWLG has just become a circlejerk like every other general.

What do you think if these factions;

> the horde
>orc, troll and belf

> the nelf
> night elf, tauren and trents

> the alliance
> humans, dwarfs and gnomes

> the scourge
> zombies, skeletons and succubus

This way each faction has a "hot girl/human" race and no faction will fall too far behind in server population.

But honestly I would rather the horde have ogres than belf but they need a pretty race to keep up their server population.

That is the 1 spaceship (the Vindicaar). The Xenedar stays smashed into the ground, we just run in to grab Xe'ra.

>lightguards and lighthunters will never be a thing
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Keep your turktrash in the bin where it belongs.

Now post some pics of Boobvanas Breastrunner

Couldn't theoretically all of the void elves teleport to Quel'danas and fuck the Sunwell dooming the blood elves?

>Now post some pics of Boobvanas Breastrunner

Yes but the alliance is a peaceful faction and would never commit genocide nor attack civilians.

>Couldn't theoretically all of the void elves teleport to Quel'danas and fuck the Sunwell dooming the blood elves?
It was not Alleria that caused Sunwell to react badly. She was set up by a void etherael.

It would never be sci-fi, sword and planet at best

I kind of like how some Void Elves have tentacles.

This is the price my character had to pay to get off Warcraft Namek and return home.

God awful idea.

The best part is in the Splash art for the patch, you can see a few orcs in lightforged armour, so Orc Paladins confirmed?

>orc paladins
greetings fellow warriors of the Light

I meant the blue one, not her flat sisters.

Pretty much this. Being THE CHOSEN ONE works in single player games, but not when you've got millions of other CHOSEN ONES running around doing the exact same shit you're doing.

Seems like Blizzard learned the completely wrong lesson from "Players don't like it when NPCs are butchered by awful writing" and "Players don't like it when we turned Thrall into the Aspect of the Earth and orc Jesus who is incapable of doing nothing wrong," and went the complete opposite direction.

Now it's "We're sure players will like it when the world bends around their characters through godawful writing."

>sword and planet
Warcraft is already this.

That doesn't sound bad actually
Don't see why zombies and skellies are distinct enough to be different races though.

Wasn't Sylvanas the most beautiful of her sisters?

Swap out the treants with something like... what, Pandaren? Furbolg? And you might have a germ of an idea.

If you wanted to go full Scourge, maybe Undead (i.e. modern Forsaken style), Nerubians (god knows how their armor would work), Valk'yr

>Tauren Abandoning The Orcs and Trolls

A Blood oath is a Blood oath.

Better factions:

Alliance: humans, dwarves, gnomes, nelves

Horde: orcs, trolls, tauren, goblins

Scourge: undead, darkfallen, nerubians, vrykul

Illidari: belves, naga, draenei, arakkoa.

Illidan, get OUT!

REEEEEEEEE

Better factions:

1st faction: Nelves, belves, humans, undead, orcs

2nd faction: 12 different races

Then the factions would have equal amounts of players.

Also, the whole thing about not making players feel important does not apply in raids. In raids players should feel important, because 1. It's a shared experience, not an individual one, and 2. It's the real meat of the game.

And yet there's still bullshit like Tirion killing Arthas and Thrall killing Deathwing, right when it's the least opportune time to push NPCs into the forefront

What if we get a third faction in one of the future expansions? Could it happen?

They're probably going to do 2 or 3 more expansions after this one before calling it quits, so I guess they might.
If I was them I'd do it to experiment with the possibility of making another mmo with more factions.

It could also tie in with my pet theory:
>new expansion is adding mode with rts mechanics
>wc3 was very successful, and sx2 was decently successful, but wc3 hasn't had a true sequel
>wow is reaching the end of it's life-span, but activisionblizzard is unlikely to just abandon the mmo market. Therefor a new mmo that takes advantage of not being based on the same engine and pattern of wow
I'm thinking this is just a testing ground for an mmo they'll make that's in the same vein as shadows over camelot, planetside, or whatever.

Incredibly doubtful, since Horde/Alliance turmoil is one of Warcraft's sacred cows at this point.

There was speculation that the Illidari might be their own faction, since part of their schtick in Legion was "we do this because we must", but post-Legion it looks like they'll just side with their racial biases.

So how do you guys like the Elven Horde of Warchief Sylvanas?

I think 4 factions could've prevented this problem from ever arising.
Also, nice get.

Warcraft is an incoherent, inconsistent mixture of everything the different writers over 20 years thought to be cool. It's the AoS of videogames.

>Vol'jin deserved much more screen time and a much more heroic death

I can't wait until she gets overthrown or just passes the title on when she realizes she can't use the Horde's resources to bolster the Forsaken like she tried to in Legion. I don't buy her sudden faction-rallying in the War for Azeroth trailer, she never cared about anyone outside the Forsaken, and Legion didn't show me why she suddenly cares about the Horde now.

Blizzard just doesn't have the cajones to finally kill her off, and it's way past overdue that the other Horde leaders put their respect for Vol'jin's "decision" aside and put someone else in charge.

I'd be fine with her being exiled, or humiliated

Have the entire forsaken, along with the rest of the Horde, turn on her. Then have someone, probably Lor'Themar, rub it in her face that she saved the Forsaken's very souls and they still turned on her

Everquest says hi

Not bad at all, I think you could do a lot with Warcraft just as a pretty well established world with this. It's not so much that there are a lot of plothooks as there are just a lot of characters doing lots of things. I think you could even do a lot with what the PC's have on them - loot is such a big thing in WoW, and there's soul binding on top of it, so there might be a way to explain the items outliving the players, but having a piece of their soul attached. So like, if they die then items can have a stat boost based on what their highest stat was, or come with skills attached to them that the characters had. And of course the old this was their weapon, it's bound to them, let's bring them back schtick.

In the sense of rts mechanics, or because everquest next is never never coming out?

"My father once told me the world was gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" -Jaina Proudmoore

What happened to her sexy midriff?

Feminism.

What happened to her hair? She doesn't really look like herself anymore.

she really let herself go

>tfw not sure if she's supposed to be Garrosh 2.0 or Sylvanas 2.0

Nothing

>dragon dick, not even once

Her hair is supposed to be a side effect of the massive arcane energy unleashed on Theramore. The only reason she survived is Rhonin warded her at the last possible moment.

I'm glad Richard "Rhonin Redhair" Knaak died.

>I'm glad Richard Knaak died.
This is really rude. Yeah, I don't like his books either (Day of the Dragon is passable at least), but he is responsible for 60% of Warcraft lore.

t. not a citizen of Dalaran

hes alive

FUCK

Why is that her right boob is bigger than the left one?

I really hope she makes Anduin hate the Horde

I hope she rapes Anduin.

Those are actually mana muffins.

Hi everybody, sorry for my late reply.

What do you think is bad about it?

Mostly because I couldn't think of another undead/fel race that could be playable. Nerubians are too inhuman for WoW as a playable race. I thought skeletons and zombies could work with zombies being slightly better as melee fighters/tanks and skeletons being slightly better as mages with both "races" working just as well as rogues.

Kinda could use death knight her from warcraft 3 as the base for the zombie, the lich hero as base for the skeleton and the dreadlord hero as base for the succubus.

Pandaren wouldn't really work but furbolg could. Maybe satirs instead?

The reason why I picked trents is because they could work as stand-in for the anchient tree buildings the night elves had in warcraft 3.

Valk'yr seem more like a boss race than a playable one, but yeah, maybe they work better.

I agree with the nerubians, they're as scourge as it gets but they would require too much work for their armor models to be worth adding from a business standpoint.

I thought more like this would be more of a "what they could have done" rather than a "this is how they should change it now" post. Back in warcraft 3 the orcs and tauren hadn't really allied yet and the night elves and the tauren both worshiped the same gods (which the orcs then killed w/o the tauren even complaining).

>better factions
Not really from a faction balance stand-point.

The alliance, due to having both night elves and humans, would have a much higher population than the other races.

>darkfallen
this is a good idea though, I really like it.

And aslo, I don't think they'd add nerubians from a technical standpoint, just too much work designing armors for them.

Is it me or did they increase Jainas bust. Is this to compensate for the lack of midriff?

>hating Knaak this hard
The guy was just mediocre, he only wanted his self-insert to impregnate a sexy elven babe.

Now if we talk about CG, who is full-blown awful of a writer and now officially lore advisor to Blizzard...

Is she behind the abomination known as Med'an.

I'd you think satyrs and night elves should or could be in the same faction you are no better than Blizzard

>impregnate a sexy elven babe

don't we all?

She's wearing a corset, they're like push-up bras on steroids.

Thanks for the compliment.

>Med'an
I thought he was Vertigo/DC doing.

Impregnating elves is immersion breaking, it makes no sense at all.

Sex doesn't make sense in Warcraft desu

Mo’Arg are one of those races I’m dying to know more about but would never expect blizzard to actually give that much of a shit about. Besides Eredar, Mo’Arg are THE demons. They make up every rank in the legion in huge numbers, and were confirmed to be the source for all the weapons and demon tech they use down to basic portals and the felreaver. They’re second only to the Eredar in how fucking OG legion they are and we’re shown to have nearly as much free will. Combined with the “arg” in their name, i wonder if they’re one of the original inhabitants of Argus or something.

It’s a fucking pipe dream, but it would have been cool for that to have been expanded on and had them go the way of Eredar. Have a playable offshoot that introduced a new “demonic” branch to engineering or something.

Question: are there any half-Night Elves? Are all half-elves so far human-High Elf hybrids?

Night elves don't sleep around with other races dummy

>Impregnating elves is immersion breaking, it makes no sense at all.
meanwhile we have;

>half-orc half-ogre
>half-night elf half-earth elemental
>half-orc half-dranei
>half-human quarter-orc quarter-dranei
But yeah, half-human half-elf that's the weird stuff.

>racemixing

Medan is no longer canon thankfully. In large part for the same reasons you're listing.

It's just a question, wardeness.

>tfw no Warden bodyguard

Who?

>Medan is no longer canon thankfully.
He is canon.

Wait what?

Mm, that'll do. I think there could even be something there with warlocks playing as the corruption juggling class, where they have stats tied to corruption, so their whole thing is trying to max out the benefits without going overboard, but I'm not sure how you would play them as undeterred by "unclean" things when mechanically they have to get corruption then shy away from it

Nope. The Legion is over. The Army of Light was also fucking nothing. I expected a multi-expansion grand tour of visiting other planets invaded by the Legion, beating back the demons, helping and recruiting locals, opening new fronts and in the finale the naaru bring in a gorillion other nether fortresses and ships with chosen races like the draenei onboard and then we will launch a huge invasion on Argus taking an entire expansion pack. But nah, everything got resolved in a single patch that even got marred by shit like alt-light and illybeans' autism.

twitter.com/wowhead/status/795041188604616704?lang=en

I demand an apology in double space format, times new roman font.

The centaurs are the offspring of the Earth Elemental Theradras and Cenarius. I'm a bit wrong tho, Cenarius is a wild god, not a night elf.