Comfy RPGs

I wanna run a comfy game with lots of travel, frosty cold winters, huntin' and fishin', and genuinely scary wild animals. Something exploration focused moreso than combat. Is there a suitable system?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/04/05/is-there-a-take-10-rule-in-5e/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Savage Worlds

Also literally any goddamn system.

D&D.

>DnD
>Comfy

Only if you have high-level autism and enjoy every single part of the game fighting your attempts to actually roleplay (unless you're a caster, in which case you just bypass that part with magic).

That doesn't sound comfy at all.

Ryuutama.
Also the Mouse guard would fit i think. All the animals are scary when you are a fucking mice.

Seconding Ryuutama if the "comfy" is what you're primarily after. (Not that the travel and survival are jokes - I've heard of plenty of parties nearly TPKing on a road on a pleasant day in a low-level biome.)

If you're looking for genuinely scary wild animals and survival against the elements, with a side dash of the rest of it, then Mouseguard also sounds good.

I've heard The One Ring does travel very well and if it's got hobbits in it, a focus on food probably exists. I have no personal familiarity with the system, though.

>I play with shitty DMs

have more fun by making your own

Ryuutama sounds perfect, reading through the pdf now.

I'm not autistic enough for that, user.

Hellfrost is exactly the SW setting for OP. Nordic inspired fantasy about the world freezing and siphoning magic.

>B-b-but DnD is good if you DM literally ignores the rules and mechanics of the system!

Oh boi, I never get sick of hearing THIS retarded argument from the DnDrones.

DnD says to fight constantly in the rules?

If you want to do anything besides combat, there will be rules saying you can't, no rules at all, or the horrible laughable skill system that barely functions where proficiency means you're only 10% more likely than someone with no training at all.

Unless you're a magic character. Then there are no rules but the spell says you can do the thing with no real effort or roleplaying anyway.

Pretty sure there are rules for long-distance travel.

You can also find random encounter tables with a breadth of encounters aside from combat.

Also the skill system works perfectly fine. Unless your DM is shitty and assigning whack DCs to all your checks, a competent will be able to perform competently. That's not getting into "taking 10"

You keep telling yourself the skill system is functional. Also, tables for non-combat encounters don't mean jack-shit when the game doesn't have rules that support non-combat roleplaying (aside from the third of the book thats all about spells that can be waved around to bypass these encounters entirely).

You have provided 0 evidence the skill system doesn't work.

It works perfectly. d20 + mods. Hit or break the DC and you succeed.

So you just chose to completely ignore the part where being proficient in a skill, meaning you've been trained, means at the lower end of the scale (where you spend most of the game) means you're only 5-10% better at a skill than someone with no training at all, and only 25% at the end-game levels.

My god, the selective hearing of DnDrones is truly amazing. That or you're just baiting. Either way, I'm done, enjoy your dumpster fire game I guess.

I don't see what's wrong with that. D&D doesn't get into highly technical stuff like electrical engineering.

Bummer that you are so afraid of being proven wrong though. I'll be sad when you finally kill yourself.

Literally only functional if you use Take 10 rules for everything. Otherwise more of the skill check is left up to random chance than your actual skill level.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Proficiency was actually a step backwards from Pathfinder's actual skill system.

>the game doesn't have rules that support non-combat roleplaying
you need rules for that?

what are some 'good' rules for non-combat roleplaying? Please don't deflect the question with a vague answer.

What are you talking about?

Take 10 when it's non-important / dramatic. If it's an intense moment then they have to roll.

I hope he won't refer to the Infinity roleplaying game's Psyops.

I love the wargame, but holy shit. They have a chunk of the book dedicated to making conversations tedious and abstract as all fuck. Like, combat rules help make fights feel more real and pull you into the moment. Psyops pulls you out and turns conversations into spreadsheets.

>I don't see what's wrong with that. D&D doesn't get into highly technical stuff like electrical engineering.
Yes because high class lady fresh out of Ojousama high just 10% worse at building forest shelter for a night, than literally raised by wolfs Tarzan.

I'm currently DMing a Mutant: Year Zero campaing and it can get pretty comfy when the party explores the Zone and bringing artifacts to their home.

What was the DC?
What was the skill being used?
What is the stat being used?

What is the point of those questions?
5e D&D doesn't do a good job mechanically representing difference between trained and untrained characters. That was his point. It is true. Proficiency accounts for 10% difference in chance of success (at low level). It is true.

But it does. The DC of a check will impact if a character can take 10 or 5 on it and be successful.

Also the nitty-gritty of building a shelter in a forest isn't something that D&D gives a fuck about and I'm certain a comfy game wouldn't either.

That being said, if you are running the game there is nothing stopping you from saying "Nah, your character's history gives you a penalty to building forest shelters"

>The DC of a check will impact if a character can take 10 or 5 on it and be successful.
sageadvice.eu/2016/04/05/is-there-a-take-10-rule-in-5e/

Now for the passive check
>Such a check can represent the average result for a task done repeatedly, such as searching for secret doors over and over again, or can be used when the DM wants to secretly determine whether the characters succeed at something without rolling dice, such as noticing a hidden monster
It dose not account for the situation at hand.
You are advocating for GM fiat. Arbitrarily ruling that isn't represented in the rules.

>nitty-gritty of building a shelter in a forest isn't something that D&D
True. And this is why it's isn't suitable game for
>lots of travel, frosty cold winters, huntin' and fishin', and genuinely scary wild animals
As it doesn't give a shit about any of those either. Well, maybe wild animals at lover levels.

Ryuutama might be what you're looking for OP, I have only ran for a couple of sessions but it seems to be much more focused on traveling and character interaction rather than combat

You list two suggestions. Fuck, the post you linked even said that passive checks are similar to taking 10. They probably just don't want to specifically say it's like Taking 10 to not upset the gronards.

It's comfy to get into the nitty gritty of shit? You have a weird definition of comfy.

How did you/the players find it?

>They probably just don't want to specifically say it's like Taking 10 to not upset the gronards.
You are reading between the line without reading the lines.
>There is no take 10 rule.
>Passive check can represent the average result for a task done repeatedly, such as searching for secret doors over and over again, or can be used when the DM wants to secretly determine whether the characters succeed at something without rolling dice, such as noticing a hidden monster
Read the lines.

You read the lines first.

Specifically the 3rd word.

I Did
>There is no take 10 rule.
>Passive check can represent the average result for a task done repeatedly,
>Passive check an be used when the DM wants to secretly determine whether the characters succeed at something without rolling dice
Now you do. Without adding something that isn't intended.
>DM wants to secretly determine whether the characters succeed at something without rolling dice
>DM wants to secretly determine
The intent is to secretly determine. Determine secretly, get it? Not to substitute take10. Secretly is the key word.

It was recommended by an user to help introduce new players to TTRPG

Goodness you are thick.
>Passive check can represent the average result for a task done repeatedly,

Third word, brainlet.

I meant what did you think of it, my bad.

And the Anti-DnD Drones have never purposed a viable alternative.

I was giving you benefit of doubt, but you just plain retarded.
How does this has anything to do with making a forest camp? How many fucking camps do you intend to make? How does your character know if it is a success or not to decide to remake it? It's not searching a secret door or lock-picking where result is apparent. You make a camp. Did you forgot to consider that time is a factor? Making camp doesn't take a minute. Do you intend to repeat the task until the next evening?
NO you dumb cunt, it's not take 10 substitute. For all those reasons.

You literally have sage advice on that and still refuse to listen.
You didn't even know that take 10 wasn't a thing in 5e. Let alone fucking take 5.
Just get the fuck out, i didn't touch this game in a year and i know it better, RAW and RAI, fucking embarrassing.

It was comfy for the most part, I really enjoyed it, but after the first few sessions we switched to an OSR system as my players at the time were more interested in trying to kill everything that moves as well as a few things that didn't move

What exactly makes a system "comfy?" I haven't heard that word applied to a tabletop game before, or any game for that matter.

>the nitty-gritty of building a shelter in a forest isn't something that D&D gives a fuck about
correct. So what DOES DnD give a fuck about?
well, it's got hundreds if not thousands of pages dedicated to combat abilities between various splats.
if you include magical abilities like charm person, mechanical character interaction in terms of persuasion, seduction, or bribery where things written on your character sheet make a difference to how you are perceived and interact might constitute 5 pages between those same splatbooks.
probably zero pages on food preparation or nonmagical crafting
trailblazing, sailing, and caravanning outside of mention of plothooks, also completely absent.

>I'm certain a comfy game wouldn't either.
see, I think you might not know what comfy is.

I dunno, i guess it probably will vary for a lot for people, but in my case this feeling of warm and whimsy you have when you watch something calm and in peace. I would guess it happens in tabletop when your DM is describing something that evokes that imagery or you are doing more calm and collected stuff.

>food preparation
>nonmagical crafting
>trailblazing
>sailing
>caravanning

You need rules for that?

Different user btw. And apparently I have taken leave of my senses to get between you two...

You generally would want rules that cover the main subject and important parts of the game, yeah.

A system can be comfy if it's tight and easy enough to not make you wrestle with its rules and break the immersion

Since this is 5e, characters with the tools and time and craft just about anything. It’s literally written on the rules that all players are functional adventurers. That’s means a player can cook, clean, feed, bathe, and poop by themselves without rule mechanics. It also means that if a player says “I make a shelter from these palm fronds and rope” it just takes time with no actual roll in the rules.

5e requires dramatically less rolling than other editions of D&D for a reason, and it’s the same reason that being slightly better when proficient matters when the roll is so variable. It’s not abstracting what a homeless guy manages to figure out while high on meth with a d20 roll, you roll when the DM feels the task cant just be accomplished with time.

The problem is the 3.5 era D&D rules which took rolling for everything to an extreme, and because the terrible math and deviation between level 1 and 20 set DCs that are extreme for relatively basic tasks. Pathfinder doing a hack job when copy/pasting rules just made things even worse.

Ryuutama looks like a great way to get newbies/normie girls into rpgs. Thanks!

Literally every single girl I have ever talked to about RPGs just wants to smash things with broadswords.

both have been suggested in the thread, but I'll second/third/fourth Ryuutama and Mouse Guard

Sure, but they don't want to spend a half hour even to set up their character and learn the rules... just go smash things. Ryuutama looks simple enough you could just start out and go

apocalypse world,

Or literally the digital miles of hacks made with the system.