/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
I may go down in my Shad, but I'm givin' you a nasty headache before I go, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-12-10 - Still getting worked on & now has 21038 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-11-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

bgb.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list&tags=inker
github.com/Seedmanc/Booru-mass-uploader
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Taurian ConcorDAT. And good night.

That is one fine pin-up chick, and that ain't no bull.

>find anime shit
>get space picture off Hubble website
>retrieve map and symbol from sarna
>spend 15 minutes in photoshop
>dump onto Veeky Forums

Hey. Hey. It was 25 minutes.

Hold my butte

Will only pay attention until there's a Rasalhague one done.

Also, speaking of which, I am making a Rasalhague force, and using Swedish m90 pattern. To anyone with painting experience, how the hell can I copy that style with masking tape? I got no freaking idea of what order to do it in.

Pic related.

Dark green, masking tape, light green, masking tape, black.

ask in /fowg/? they might have the most direct experience on minis with that idea with the Team Yankee stuff.

Start with the light green, mask, then the dark green, mask, then finally the black. That way your tracks and other dangly bits are primed black ready to go.

New here?

No particular reason.

Hello, what is new on the chatternets, fellow inner sphere merchants?

Sauce on that grill?

I'd prep her bull if you know what I mean

I don't.

Well, I imagine she pilots a Brass Bull, from /btg/'s TRO, so I'd be her personal tech and ensure her Brass Bull was always ready for battle. No matter how hard it was.

Still not getting it.

Ok guys have done a big upload of Inker stuff to the booru

bgb.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list&tags=inker

Hopefully I can keep up

Oh yeah I'm streaming at the moment.

Ohey thanks for the uploading.

I'd pillage that pussy bareback for the purposes of procreation, if you catch my drift

Bless ya, bud. It's been great seeing all the stuff out various artists come up with.

I MIGHT have a new artist coming within the next few weeks to make a few sketch-like additions to BT, but I have to see how she feels.

Inker's Cataphract reminds me how much I loved playing Liao back when they were the underdogs with flavorful regiments (most at battalion strength).

It's just not the same with them winning so much.

BG, have you seen if there us a function for you, since you're an admin, that overrides blocking of duplicate submissions? I seem to recall before that if I send in a picture that is already there, the booru will stop me, but in some cases, when you upload a bunch, if there are duplicates, then they will *both* be in there.

If a new pic is even SLIGHTLY different, and I mean the resolution is like 800x600 and the one you submit is 799x599, it will accept both.

There are two things to be done with that. First is there is a mass pic uploader I use.
github.com/Seedmanc/Booru-mass-uploader
This will make things massively easier for large batches of files, and it will find EXACT copies, but not the same pic if it's a tiny bit different.

The second is what I am slowly working on, tagging each and ever damn thing. The only way to root out the lower resolution and lower quality versions of pics is to go one by one. I tag when I can, and that's all I know to do.

Anyway thanks everybody for the help so far. I'm proud of how far we've come already. On the "Top Boorus" for the place that hosts are stuff, we're on the front page even for a SFW site.

Np man, I just want everyone to be able to see your stuff easily.

flashman when

bonus points for the flashman pose

What are the other drawfags names?

Been done.

You're still missing Noriko's Awesome, Char's Highlander and an anonymous Spider.

Huh, couldn't see those on Inker's tumblr where I found most of them. must have missed those threads.

I think they should be on the booru, just not tagged. I could do some archive diving for them, if you want.

Nvm I found them on the tumblr, was my shameful display.

but yeah try and keep things tagged with Inker to avoid doubles

It's just a bigger Catapult right.

Close enough, dig the robe

How do I balance forces in BT games? It seems like such a simple thing, but I;ve tried BV in MegaMek vs. bots and get my shit stomped in when playing IS vs. Clan.
>5 IS to balance vs 3 Clanners
>My Jenner-F is killed in one turn by a Mad Cat
>Rifleman gets hit once by a Mad Dog and loses his arm and torso ammo explodes
>Most consistent damage output I had was a Catapult and Hunchback getting lucky shots off.
>Constantly getting hit and falling down, doing damage to myself
Apparently I need to git gud.

Also; Lyran/Steiner says it uses mostly heavy and assault mechs on a page I read. Do they have specific heavies they use more than others?

As a Lyran you are not pigeonholed into the big machines. Lyrans have canonical units that run majority medium/light mechs. You can check the Master Unit List for units the Alliance uses. I have a lot of fun with bushwhackers, Avatars, firestarter omni's, and starslayers for a short list. Hopefully some other user helps you out with fighting clan scum.

>Taking a light to a Clan fight.
Do Not.

Unless you have double blind on and are using them to spot for artillery, there's virtually zero reason to take an IS light against the Clans.

Speaking of robes, could you do a Legacy or any Celestial if you haven't Inker? With a very WoB pilot perhaps laughing maniacally?

>IS lights vs Clan anything
What would be the point if you weren’t playing double blind? They’re fluffy, good for starting fires without infernos, and carry anti-infantry load outs for all the non-BA Clan legs you’re going to face. FASAnomics and writing inertia are the only things keeping lights going after the Clan invasion, otherwise why waste precious fusion engines on one-shot, disposable mechs? A bug-sized fusion power plant in a vee would spend as much time in the maintenance yard as a Bug, but vee drive parts are cheap, low-tech stuff and fusion vee will carry more guns for the short time they’re in the field.

Yes, we're agreeing with each other.

Falconer and Rakshasa aren't bad, you might consider them.

>Lyrans
>Jenner, Rifleman, Catapult, Hunchback
I'd recommend bringing better mechs, honestly.
Lyrans have some pretty sleek lights: The Wolfhound is a decent little cut-rate trooper, but it has problems slugging it out with heavier clan designs that go as fast as it. The Spector is probably my favorite light they have. 7/11/7 and it can come with stealth armor if you so choose. The Scarabus is also pretty great, as it can match the speed of even the fastest clanner mech, and I have seen what that hatchet can do to the rear torso of a first-wave omni. If you can talk your opponent into letting you use prototype TSM on it... well, let's just say that only happens once. There's also Commandos and Stilettos and other serviceable lights too.

The Lyran medium mech roster is secretly one of the best in the game. Griffins, Hunchbacks, Nightskies, and Bushwackers all have solid variants. The Blitzkrieg and Uziel are both very fun in their base config (although I wouldn't call them good). They also both have some of the grossest alternate configs in the game in the BTZ-4F and UZL-8S.

As far as heavies go, I usually just grab a Thunderbolt of some make. The Lyrans have a winner in that mech. You also have access to a lot of FedCom mainstays like the Penetrator or Falconer. Oh, and the Defiance is pretty neat.

You pretty much can't go wrong with whatever assaults you grab. The fedcom gauss trio if the Nightstar, Thunder Hawk, and Devastator are good, the Zeus/Zeus X is good, the Salamander, Berserker, Fafnir, or modern Banshee are all good. The Hauptmann is literally perfect 11/10 best girl OTYAY waifu for life.
Hell, there's even like... modern updates to literally who mechs like the Xanthos that the lyrans get tossed and it's also solid as fuck. You really have to try for a bad Lyran assault. Lyran Stalker

Don't forget there are also an array of light fusion engine'd variants of almost every mech that you also can use.

That whole post and you neglect the coolest of the Steiner assault Cool Guys, the Banshee. So much fun you’ll need two 95-t fists to carry it and better load outs than any boring Atlas too. You’ll be so Elsie that your hair will turn blonde when you start rocking those sweet shades and dat small laser’o doom.

Those moments when you remember the BGS-3T exists and you can deliver hilarity at 6 hexes. Even negates most of the downsides of that doom cannon.

He did mention the Banshee though.

I did mention it, but I didn't go into any detail about how the 3S is a total 3025 shitwrecker or how the 8S is a stupidly good melee ride that the Lyrans wisely kept in production after kicking out the WoB.
I was just trying to point user in the direction of Lyran designs I enjoy, especially at smaller sizes.

So I really like the Hellbringer, but I have heard it is really hard to use well, is it just better to focus on duels with it, or is there a tactica to focus on with them?

What config do you think works best with what

The Hellbringer's entire purpose in life is to bully IS-tech medium 'Mechs. It has the same speed, the same armour, and roughly double the guns of most.

It can handle a lot of IS heavies in the right configs until 3055 or so when the IS gets better machines. After that it needs to stick to mediums.

Clan-wise, you only want to be fighting lightr opponents. The Mad Dog is a dicey prospect, it can probably deal with a Summoner since it has such shitty configs most of the time, but the Timber Wolf is right out. It may also struggle with a Stormcrow but the lighter machines shouldn't be too hard.

I would suggest the Prime. Two headcappers out to 23 hexes cover a multitude of sins. The A is a solid choice if you know you will face slower opposition, especially from the IS since you can skirt around at 20+hexes plinking away with the 2 ER LLs and A/C with the LRM when numbers are good. I would stay away from the B as much as possible. The rest fall somewhere between those two for general usefulness but can be good for certain niches.

is that shantae, with a mech I don't recognize?

It's the Calliope (had to look it up). It's a Dark Ages 40-ton garrison mech built for the Canopians and Capellans that mounts an MML-9 and a Plasma Rifle. It isn't terribly fast (5/8) and isn't too well armored as well as being entirely ammo-dependent with only two tons for each weapon. Pretty mediocre, I wonder how Inker even found it.

If he was around back in 2012, we went over all the 3145 TROs with a fine-toothed comb.

How badly damaged was Tikonov in the Jihad?

Thanks. I added some of the stuff you suggested and ran another trial game since I'm still learning. I won vs. 3 Clanners of slightly higher BV.
Used:
Hauptmann HA1-OB
Banshee BNC-5S
Warhammer WHM-7S
Hunchback HBK-5S

What'd you fight against? It's relevant to the discussion.

Randomly Rolled:
>Black Hawk (Nova) C
>Warhammer IIC 3
>Cougar H

The planet's defenders nuked their own 'Mech plant and then the WoB levelled half the industry on the planet. So pretty bad. They could afford to do that plot-wise since it then went to the RotS rather than being given back to the Cappies.

The Nova has remarkably poor ammo endurance and the Cougar is a slow light with an Ultra-5. The Warhammer IIC is the most dangerous one there but even that is limited in range.

I'd honestly suggest using 3025 tech to learn the game, it's less confusing and there's less of a disparity between designs as long as you avoid outliers like the Charger.

So I hear people shit talking the summoner configs.

Are there any that are good?

I'm finding that in most media the Cougar is ass on legs. Why did MechAssault have to build it up like it was something super neat and special?

Looks like B,C,D, and G are usable. Seems like it's a fat medium for the most part. Feel free to disregard my opinion as I am not a clanner.

It's better than the adder.

The one with ER LLs, ER MLs, and a Targeting Computer is pretty boss.

A lot of the configs do retarded shit like carry two tons of ammo for a 3 or 3.5 ton weapon and only one for a 10+ ton weapon. That's really what cripples it.

It, like the Hellbringer, exists to make IS Mediums miserable.

A 5/8 light with a lot of guns might have worked in 3025, but the gains from dropping down from 6/9 are minimal. It literally buys you one whole ton.

The Prime isn't that bad but honestly they should have just made the Adder instead.

>laughing adders.jpeg

One whole extra ton of design space in exchange for reduced movement is not a good trade. It makes better use of the pod space some times (dual LPLs on a light intended for ganking other lights is terrifying, but the Adder could do that as well) due to being a later design but that's about all. If you allowed custom configs for the Adder (and maybe removed the fixed flamer) I'd bet on the faster machine every time.

Since we are talking clans, could some friendly clanscum suggest some medium and heavy stars as opfors?

Thor prime is pretty solid.

Magical girl PAL's > Mechs

Invasion-era Falcons ran heavy on Summoners, Kit Foxes, and Hellbringers. Warhawks too but I would try to avoid those for the moment as quad PPCs is rough to learn on.

Just keep the speeds relatively consistent.

2-3 Kit Foxes, 2-3 Summoners, and 0-1 Hellbringer sounds about right.

They didn't really do medium stars but I guess when you get a little further along in the timeline you could go 2-3 Fire Falcons, 2 Black Lanners, and 0-1 Storm Crows. I'm not sure I'd give the bot Black Lanners since it does some frankly retarded shit when it has MASC-equipped designs, but I suppose that could make for some easier kills or salvage.

Don't forget the better heat curve. I'd rather have the Cougar in nearly every instance over the Adder. most adders run like a blast furnace.

So? Can't they just vent the extra heat through their CT flamer?

The better heat curve it gains from having configs that make more intelligent use of the pod space. It's easy to design an Adder that has 2 LPLs, 3 ER MLs, and a DHS then use that over the existing Prime.

It also sacrifices a ton of armour in the process.

Not sure if serious.

Wait, venting your plasma causes your own mech to heat up? What a retarded system.

No. The engine having to spool up to generate enough plasma for you to vaporize men like that makes it run hotter. There's very little plasma in the engine normally. Battletech fusion engines are ridiculously efficient. Venting it all would just cause you to stall and restart anyway.

On the plus side, you can piss in the tank and provide the machine with enough fuel for 15,000 movement points.

Sexcellent. Non-Celestial Wobbie gear never gets enough love either.

>Battletech fusion engines are ridiculously efficient.
>shooting anything but a machinegun heats you up
>this weapon heat never overheats the weapons themselves but somehow affects the mech as a whole and slows down the mech and reaches and affects the cockpit

Hmm.

No one ever said that engineers made this game. We're here for the robots, not the science.

It's not the weapons that ever overheat. It's all the engine. Weapons just have a cooling jacket that deals with their shit.

The fusion engine jumping enough juice to fire a particle projection cannon if what generates 90% of the heat. Extra coolant lines are entirely secondary. They're the small radiators like external sinks. Engine sinks are primary and are a massive turbine mounted in the engine shielding. Why do you think engine hits fuck your heat so hard?

>What are the other drawfags names?

If you're hunting on the booru, there's

inker
shimmering_sword
david_white or david_a_white
plog
pencil_bro

There's a lot of artwork up there by Alex Iglesias (flyingdebris), but I don't think much of it has been tagged yet in a consistent way so that you can find it all.

that picture
>Atlas, you son of a bitch

What's the matter, Banshee? The LCAF got you pushing too many pencils?

So how does shooting chemical propellant missiles like lrms and srms heat up the fusion engine exactly?

They heat things up because they dump all their exhaust directly into the chassis. It's why mechs get that heat while more open frame stuff like tanks don't.

Energy weapons are the primary engine deal. And flamers are an energy weapon. Things that require a lot of power like myomer movement and jumpjets also require a lot of direct engine heat.

Something like an autocannon is almost pure weapon heat. But that's also why it's so small comparatively.

>It's not the weapons that ever overheat. It's all the engine
>because they dump all their exhaust directly into the chassis

hmm.

Not to mention all of the mechanical action required to charge and move the rounds from the cassettes to the ready position. And the various targeting sensors and whatnot. Lot of electricity demands there.

Even then, missiles are pretty low individual ballistic levels of heat comparatively. .3 heat per missile for LRM's and .6 for SRM's.

>dat pic
>that reference

Okay /btg/ how would one make a Predator type campaign and which mechs play which role?

Can't tell if Loss

needs more Noriko

It's an okay warcrimes/BA hunter though I feel like the Cappies have better options for that role.

would the predator be be some no fun min maxed to shit mech

Make the pred the Bounty Hunter.

The predator is a Clanmech with ECM and all the players are in shitty old mechs. Its on a jungle planet too with really crap visibility.

>shitty old mechs
Fucking fight me. Arnold's crew are rocking IS2 gear, while the Predator is rocking full retard bullshit tech. Interface cockpits, Capacitored ERPPCs, NullSig and CLPS.

This. The whole point of the first half-hour was to establish how badass and well-equipped the team were... which is exactly why it's so horrifying to watch them be picked off so helplessly for the rest of the movie.

Fair nuff - I was simply trying to create the same level of tech disparity.

Blakists might be spookier as a predator.

>no melee weapons
user pls. The Hatchet is standing in for the spear, and this first one didn't have the throwing disk or net, so I won't have to fire up HMP to add my razornet cannon or ripjack.

Is there a mech that more closely embodies the goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus?

Really makes the noodle tick

You forgot one of the most important parts
The boom