/gengen/

Genesys Roleplaying General

Get Crunk and Roll Dem Dice Edition

>Previous thread:
Question of the thread:
>What setting are you most looking forward to seeing (or making)?

>Known Genesys Settings
pastebin.com/7knE7KSv

>Online Exstras
1drv.ms/b/s!AtRqt1GrxR67huIiSZ9_fVMOqVUdJA - Fillable Charecter sheet
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/386612561115611137/genesys_setting_worksheet_fillable.pdf - Fillable Setting sheet
genesys.skyjedi.com/ - Online Dice Roller
drive.google.com/file/d/1qwkM0daKLi_yWPmoIgFCfb92oeJueFD3/view - Cheat sheet
sendspace.com/file/6b6bat - A PDF of something
docs.google.com/document/d/1K0BVQxmZTMn8XFovHPCjubK7H-qZDWRSC9QR_2E683I - Special Rules (From StarWars to Genesys)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qy33uMm1FqQJPD8W-p5aXM5XHNwsU4126JgJ91LsIfE/edit#gid=644202127 - Some new spells

>Disord Server
discord.gg/3vNJa6t

>FFG Community Forums
community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/527-genesys/

Other urls found in this thread:

1drv.ms/b/s!AtRqt1GrxR67huIiSZ9_fVMOqVUdJA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gimme Android and I will consider reading the corebook.

It's technically in the corebook.

>technically

My biggest problem at the moment is that Genesys plays hard into my gaming ADHD. I keep sitting down to put material together for a game, then get distracted by some little tidbit here or there, then go off on a tangent looking at what OTHER cool stuff I could make or do, and then realize that I completely forgot about what I meant to actually get done and now I have to go do real life things instead.

Case in point:
> Making a "realistic" western game
> Look at magic rules in passing
> Get caught up in discussions of magic rules
> Put together entire set of talents for magic rules
> Remember that I'm not even going to use magic in my game

>1drv.ms/b/s!AtRqt1GrxR67huIiSZ9_fVMOqVUdJA - Fillable Charecter sheet

Link isn't working for me

Nevermind, just worked. I guess I fucked up copy-paste somehow?

What would be the best way to represent directed energy weapons that fire in a continuous beam? I don't think any of the existing weapon qualities really cover that sort of thing. I'm thinking some kind of active quality, that when triggered allows you to continue a successful attack against the same target as a maneuver or maybe even incidental during your next turn. Could there be any potential problems with this kind of concept?

I suggest just using autofire. Better roll is more "uptime" of the beam on target.

I don't think auto-fire fits that well, because firing a beam weapon shouldn't incur any kind of accuracy penalty that makes the check harder. Plus the multi-target aspects of it don't really fit either.

In an artificially time segmented round like in RPGs, the difference between a stream of bullets and a stream of lazors seems small. Especially in a less detail focused game like Genesys.

I'd argue the difference is pretty big. A spray of bullets is something that is inherently inaccurate, unfocused. You are covering an area and potentially dealing damage multiple times to a group. While a beam weapon is something that is tight and focused, thus the benefit should be geared toward bearing down fire on a single target.

Except that you (presumably) have a twitchy jerky person aiming it and it's at least as easy to over compensate than under, especially at range. Having a constant visible beam to aim is handy though, I'd consider Accuracy as well.

An good design suggestion is to avoid making new mechanics when you don't have to.

Poor /gengen/ didn't even last a month.

RIP Genesys

It will be ded thread status until more people start doing homebrews for it

I bought this yesterday on a whim

convince me I didn't make a mistake

Do you enjoy homebrewing stuff? If so you didn't.

I feel you user. Feel you so hard

Auto-fire + Accurate then.
or Auto-fire + Superior.

Or just have the beam weapons give a free Advantage that can only be used to trigger Auto-fire against the same target, and price it a little cheaper than having Superior (but not much cheaper, especially if it stacks with Superior still).

Or use friggin' Burn.

>Poor /gengen/ didn't even last a month.
>RIP Genesys
My everyone is off of work now (because everyone is teachers, and I'm a substitute, and my kids are school-aged), so I'm suddenly busy. And also sick. And also trying to make time to hate-play Gloomhaven a few more times before we go to Hawaii for a vacation.

I'm sure other people are pretty busy too. Even if they are the kind of people who post on Veeky Forums.

So let’s say I’m statting a vehicle that has twin linked machine guns. Is it completely pointless to give it Autofire+Linked? There doesn’t seem to be any mechanical reason to have both. I’m thinking just statting it as one weapon with autofire and leaving the fact bullets are coming out of two barrels to fluff.

The ONLY benefit to having both would be that you could still trigger Linked bonus hits without taking the increased difficulty for Auto-fire.

Auto-fire is superior, except for that difficulty increase on your shots.

Dude, me too. This book is confusing as fuck. I was told it was a system where you throw dice and narratively read the results. 250 pages later and I don't understand how to play at all. There are so many rules. Can't I just have my players throw these dice and I just tell them based on the roll what happens? Success or failure, and something good or something bad happening independently of that. That's what I was told this game was, anyways.

user, I'm worried about your brain.

You can absolutely do that. With just the basic game mechanics. I've done it. It's great.

They were never going to sell THAT as a book, though. They could have put THAT as a superlite system in the dice packs, though.

That’s certainly something to consider.

A Link shot could represent a short, accurate burst from both barrels, while an autofire shot could be going full spray and pray.

Man, I'm just confused. I'm getting so fucking old. Most systems I play have very basic mechanics and situational rules that slightly modify those mechanics. I was super into the idea of just rolling to shoot someone, failing, but getting enough advantage that you determine you blow open a bag of flour everywhere, making it hard for your enemy to see so they get setback dice added to their rolls until the powder clears.

Instead I found a lot of charts that tell you what you can do with advantage in combat. I know those are just examples, but my players are rules lawyers. They'll treat those charts as law, and instead of building a cool narrative with me, they'll just say, "I gain boost dice. Next turn." I thought these mechanics would be a way to get away from crunchy rules and just have fun.

That’s a problem with your players not the system.

Those things you can spend advantage on in combat are in addition to the narrative effects.

The point of the structured/combat rules there is the link the narrative stuff with the more mechanical stuff. Just make your players justify why they should be getting boosts, or giving enemies setbacks when they spend their advantage in combat.

Seriously though, that's on your players. Break them from that.

Yes, there are standard RPG combat rules, but honestly there's no reason not to ignore the shit out of them if you want.

If you have skills and ability scores, you can run the system with just that if you want. Make combat completely narrative - it wont be the mechanics they provided, but it might actually be more fun and interesting if you want a more narrative game.