/srg/ - Shadowrun General

...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to [insert fitting ISP/Grid here]...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: (post number of the last thread. If necessary look it up in Desuarchive, Warosu or similar external archives)
>[witty topics fitting the thread theme].{fitting extension}
>[topics can be about public view of the topic].{think about what type of file would fit the filename}
>[or they can be about the perception from runners].{trid for videos, sim for games and similar, zdf for various types}
>[write_them_like_this].{knwsft, sklsft, actsft, frml, exe and archaic types are also fine}

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: [how important it is. Can also be a fitting number (666, 42, etc.)] ([how good/bad it is. non-integers for comedic purposes or to show glitches]% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled ''
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running [something about the topic but exaggerated].BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>Do not buy CGL books
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

[Topic you want to make the Thread about]
[Questions to foster discussion]

Other urls found in this thread:

shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/2060s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is your runner's fondest childhood memory?

newb here

So i’m running a shadowrun 5e game in the spring and i have a few questions.

1) Does the crunch get any easier? Or will we be looking through the book a bunch every game even after 10+ sessions?

2) how badly would the game suffer if magic archetypes and technomancers were absent from a homebrew world?

3) does anyone have a pdf version of the DM screen? Or a place i can buy it for under $30.

>Does the crunch get any easier? Or will we be looking through the book a bunch every game even after 10+ sessions?
Yes and no.
once you have gotten the basic concept of Attribute+Skill+Modifier it becomes easier. If you just guess the Modifier it also is somewhat faster. But there are still a lot of rules that are hidden or weird. And if you don't guess modifiers you will spend a lot of time looking them up.
Get yourself the Hayek Sheets in the Pastebin.
>how badly would the game suffer if magic archetypes and technomancers were absent from a homebrew world?
Well, you'd have to rebalance things.
>does anyone have a pdf version of the DM screen? Or a place i can buy it for under $30.
>buy it
CHUMMER
DO
NOT
BUY
CGL
BOOKS
OR
SUPPLEMENT
AT
ALL
ALL BOOKS ARE IN THE OP PASTEBIN
INCLUDING THE GM SCREEN

thank you.

Any other suggestions besides "reading the book" you would give to a new DM (to shadowrun)

>Any other suggestions besides "reading the book"
Get yourself the Hayek sheets in the OP. They are condensed cheat sheets for the various subsystems.
Keep in mind that 3 dice average 1 hit. A person with 12 dice will on average manage a Hard test (Threshold 4).
Runners should have a 12/9/6 distribution. 12+ dice in their primary skills, 9+ dice in their secondary skills, 6+ dice in their tertiary skills.
you don't always have to use all the modifiers. Just keep in mind that a 3 dice penalty/bonus will move the average down/up by 1 hit. (Full Darkness is -6 dice. A person with 9 dice can reliably hit a hard target, but in full darkness will only manage to reliably hit an easy target)
Also pic related (1/2)

and pic related (2/2)

Play Shadowrun with a system that's less rules-crunchy than Shadowrun. Like CP2020 or Zaibatsu or Interface Zero.

i would, but there are always a bunch of shadowrun games going on around my area. so if my game falls flat then at least i join one of them without being a super newb

Is there a cliffs notes version of the metaplot anywhere? I'm putting together my first Shadowrun game in almost 20 years and I'm curious as to where the writers took things while I was away.

>The 5e Metaplot in a nutshell.

>metaplot's always fucked up
tl;dr version?
Last I checked Aztlan got kicked out of Denver.

shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/2060s
I guess start from their and work your way up.
The TLDR is CGL stopped paying decent writers partway through 5e and the lore has taken a nosedive in quality. Don't get me wrong, 1-4e did stupid shit, but 5e has gone full retard more often then not.

New DM to shadowrun 5e, we are on our 4 or 5th session right now. One of my players claims he has 21 armor. Reading through his character sheet and due to the fact that all the players I have are new too and didn't read the book themselves, I cant seem to find any way he could have that much armor even if we spent his money's worth on the armor. As in he couldn't wear it all at once. He also claimed to have 9 strength from char gen, which I disputed but he ignored. Most likely a calculation error or me missing rules for too much armor. I can still get him with Deckers hacking his augments or mages passing right through that armor with mana bolts.

My real question is how this could have happened possibly, is this normal, what rule I might have missed, and how to correct it? When I even suggested that I take a look at his sheet to error check he claimed that we have already been playing with him having that much armor for that last few sessions, so he should be able to keep it.

And why is the 5e book the worst rules book I have ever read?

Thanks user. It sounds like I may be continuing my pattern of ignoring the official plot and writing my own.

21 armor is nothing at all for a Street Sam. And so is 9 Strength at CharGen. And he'd have to be retarded to run his 'ware wireless.

Fresh out of CharGen, you can stuff 2 armor into each and every limb, there's orthoskin and dermal plating, a decent body and 12-17 actually armor.

>which I disputed but he ignored
You sound like a cuck.

Good luck with the game, man.

>Now playing Unreal Superhero 3.mp3 ...

>why is the 5e book the worst rules book I have ever read?
Because CGL is a corrupt garbage fire which doesn't pay their artists or their writers. CGL needs to die so that Shadowrun can pass into more capable hands. Do not pay for CGL books; starving them of cash may hasten their demise so that someone else can pick up SR and treat it right. Use the pastebin in the OP.

>chargen woes
Make your players use chummer. It's a free app which makes chargen immeasurably easier, and is maintained by Yekka, a tripfag who posts here. A github link for chummer is in the OP. In the meantime, see if you can get a copy of his sheet and look it over or post it. It's good practice to keep copies of your players' sheets around.

>stat doubts
I'm absolutely certain that your players' sheets are riddled with errors, so once you all get chummer I strongly suggest having them adjust their characters to comply with rules and chargen restrictions. Also have them send you their finished files for approval so you can look them over beforehand and keep them for reference.

>armor
Armor 21 is okay, and it's plausible within chargen. He might be referring to his total damage resistance (armor+body), which is also called "soak". It's possible with bonuses from cyberware or bioware, armor add-ons like shields, and the free +1 from trolls' dermal plating. Generally, soak pools over 30 are considered excessive; a character whose soak pool is in the 20s can take a hit, but will still be worn down by enough small arms fire.

>strength
Strength 9 isn't that big of a deal. It means he can hit about as hard as some of the nicer guns, which is to be expected from a shadowrunner who focuses on melee. You'll find that melee gets kinda shafted in SR relative to firearms. He might use something like a heavy machine gun, but those aren't *that* great.

Why aren't you using Chummer?

>20+ armor
>9 strength
Typical Troll.

How much do you emphasize AR? Do go out of your way to contrast it with what an area looks like in real space?

So Chummers, I heard long arms became kind of viable. I'm making a new char, what do I do if I want to use 'em sniper rifles and shoties?

you take a sniper rifle of your choice, and then supplement it with the ONOTARI ARMS PRESSURE KS-X or the ALTMAYR SPX2 for when you need something more concealable

>ONOTARI ARMS PRESSURE KS-X or the ALTMAYR SPX2

source?

State of the ADL
German book with all kinds on nice stuff
a translation is linked to in the Pastebin

Warning: Official Shadowrun games don't allow the German books to be used outside of Germany. However everyone except official CGL GM's uses them, because they're objectively superior to what CGL produces.

They've since crept back in.

Thanks!

>shotguns at SMG size
German engineering knows no bounds.

What ammo code is (s)? Is that a translation error? I'm guessing it indicates the German word for "magazine" since the picture features a magazine on the gun.

Its c&p from the book. s = STANGENMAGAZIN = run-of-the-mill mag = the thing that gets called "clip" in Shadowrun

actually it's shorthand for streifen (strip), as in Ladestreifen, German word for Clip

The sniper rifle of your choice being the Mannlicher marpingen Pro D, so you have two shotgun tubes tucked to your sniper rifle barrel.

No reason to not go full krautguns.

Faktisch möglicherweise korrekt, aber mein Waffenautismus verbietet es mir, diese Möglichkeit als zutreffend zu erachten.
Das ist ein verficktes Magazin, kein Streifen.

Ich sag ja nur was (in 4e zumindest) im Buch steht. Ist ja bei denen nicht richtiger

>unironically speaking nazi

Be quiet and we Germans might just publish another book with cool new stuff

The whole magazine/clip confusion thing is actually mentioned in the 5e core book...

>Nazi

Rude.

Schnupper Gas, Bösewicht!

I know.
Its still stupid as fuck.

After she awakened she was put into special classes to teach her how to use her adept abilities. Learning how to kick people's ass and getting to play with sharp objects in the corporate dojo was a highlight of her childhood.

Usually only when the players are places nicer than the barrens. The clubs they visit often have AR themes (with AR clothing options to fit in). Shopping centers are filled to the brim with AR advertisements and displays.

the first thing your AR kit should get installed is obviously AdBlock

>ADBLOCK DETECTED ON ACTIVE PAN, CITIZEN! PLEASE DISABLE YOUR ADBLOCK IN THIS SECTOR! YOU HAVE TEN SECONDS TO COMPLY...

There are shadowrunners who don't have multiple illicit types of adblocking software running at all times

>running online

I ain't giving up my wireless bonus.

Trying to understand spirits. What types of things can you get a spirit to do when it says physical task?

>running offline
Do you want to miss mission-critical updates and communications? Or just miss the AR displays which can help you avoid getting lost?

Yes, Frank. You can get a spirit to jerk you off and sucky-sucky.

I don't understand this meme, where did this come from?

Save for Reaction Enhancers combined with Wired Reflexes, none of those are really worth the hassle during heated situations.

Micro-Transceivers for communications.

Integrated Radar and infrasonic Sensors are pretty great to avoid getting lost.

Remember chummers, jizz counts as a material link. Be careful what you cum inside of.

Some user complained about some user posting that pic in back to back threads a while back, so now he posts it every thread. Nice post number by the way.

why the fuck are we antagonizing the only guys who can make decent 5e books?

Hey guys, I need all 4e source material on EVO that I can find. Can you guys toss me some of the stuff beyond the corporate guide? Where can I find the goods on Evo?

It is impossible to have anything good from an edition that has UMT and a wireless matrix

Despite being mostly a dumpster fire 5e does have a few redeeming qualities. Manablade and Powerblade are pretty cool.

>Manablade and Powerblade are pretty cool.
and pure munchkin material

Shock gloves and the like - do you add STR or even net hits by RAW to dmg?

But user, you summon a fucking lightsaber with your mind. I don't care how cheese that is I'm doing it. Melee is hardly the best option either so it balances out.

but the matrix should be wireless.

While Astrally projecting, can I still cast mana spells on teammates/enemies, or only on awakened actively assensing, or only on astral projections/spirits?

I almost agreed with you except I'm 100% a 4e fanboy. Wireless matrix for life

While projecting, you can only cast mana spells on dual-natured or astrally-active entities such as spirits or ghouls.

>awakened actively assensing, or only on astral projections/spirits?
this

>make rigger with six reaction and six logic
>give her so jacked up
>tell the GM to just flip a coin at the start of each session to tell me which stat has seven in it and which has five
Now this is going to be interesting.

Thank you. For another beginner question: the books aren't too clear on how obvious spellcasting is to the non-awakened. They say "A mage only really has to concentrate on what/who he's looking to affect to cast, chanting, circles, and other practices are really just what their tradition taught them".

So as far as I understand it, it means a mage can "silent cast", though it'd seem logical he'd lose a few dice, and none would be the wiser?

Finding his real mom shortly before learning she was raped as a preteen and his biological father was never brought to justice because his foster parents' tribe covered it up

Fuck, there's some rules somewhere about perception tests to notice spells being cast, and the threshold was based on the Force. No idea where those rules are.

Noticing magic is a Simple Perception + Intuition [Mental] Test with a threshold equal to the Skill Rating of the being performing it minus the Force of the magic, or 6 – Force if there’s no skill involved (minimum 1 in either case). For example, if a magician with Spellcasting 6 casts a Force 4 manabolt, the threshold for spotting her do it is 2 (Skill Rating 6 – Force 4). If you just stepped through a Force 5 ward, the threshold to notice the markings or feel the tingle is 1 (6 – Force 5). You get a + 2 dice pool modifer on this test if you have any magic-related Active or Knowledge Skill.

Thanks again. I don't recall seeing that at all though, so I guess I need to go through the book again.

You didn't say the NAN, but I'm gonna assume the NAN. And for the NAN, you have my condolences.

Finished my semi-annual rereading of TwoDee's Storytime. I've lurked enough to know that real life drama all but guarantees we won't get a sequel, but are there any similar AARs or Storytimes that one can check out if they're of a mood?

>tfw we'll never get a scanlation of these

>player shows me ERP they did with another player
I'm not 100% sure how to feel about this but I absolutely trust them not to make it weird in game so whatever

HA!

They probably wanted bonus karma I once had a GM who rewarded us for sharing logs

>9 Str and 21 Armor on a troll is weird
user, I'm sorry, but you're too retarded to live.

>logs
???

of ERP

Nah, they just thought it was good at demonstrating aspects of their characters that I might wanna see as GM. And I asked if I could see it, I just wasn't aware it was an ERP before I got it.
Still, useful to see the personalities of the PCs at play, and if they enjoy that kinda thing I'm not gonna stop them or anything. I'm just glad they're enjoying being in character, to be honest.

He's barely played 5 sessions user.

>my .01 essence razorgirl can't birth some kids to train as her ninja assassins
Why even live?

Yeah its really not hard to get to that on a troll straight of a chargen.

9 strength and 21 armor is cake, even straight out of chargen. I could do it with my eyes closed and I don't even know the system that well. Still, have them redo the characters in chummer to be sure.

Where did you recruit for this game?

It's just friends from a friend group plus one friend from another friend group
And both these players as well as I are girls, so I wasn't quite expecting it

Those are literally CharGen levels, you fucking mong.

user, you should know better

It's not like its hard. And even if he didn't read a single rule, there are dozens of blogs and sites to help with making a beefed up combat monster. Shadowrun has been around more than long enough to make chargen a simple matter of following established recipes.

The dumbass isn't even talking about something difficult. 2 armor in each cyberlimb + Armor Jacket + Helmet is 22.

It's really not hard to make an armoured beefcake. We'd probably need to see the sheet to get some kind of idea about whether he or you is doing something particularly wrong. How much soak do the rest of your party have? Is anyone else a combat character, or just this guy?

What's better: defiance EX or Yamaha Pulsar?

The one that has wireless trodes for the taser.

>chummer doesn't periodically autosaves
Shit. I've been spoiled by emacs.

There's an autosave, but it's intended for recovery purposes. It dumps a copy of the file into ./saves/autosave every five minutes.

It's on my list of things to provide an option for, but I hate the current options system and one of my other devs is nearly done with the sexy new system so I keep putting it off.