Inexpensive Card Games

What are some card games that are significantly less expensive than magic to play with a group of casual friends?

Are there any games out there that function as a self-contained set of cards which you build decks out of? I guess sort of like a MTG cube.

Would you rather just build a cube and call it a day?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/formats/pauper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>with a group of casual friends
Is that casual 1v1 games or group games?

You could just proxxy a cube of Magic cards. Very few games that are draftable like Magic, maybe the Vampire game.

Buy 3 of any structure deck in yugioh, it'll cost you about $30 and will be anything from playable to psuedo-tier 1

LCGs?

both, really.

I have a proxy power cube that hasn't been met with enthusiasm. I might try a new one with a lower power level and see if that works out better. The really complex cards tend to confuse the newer people, and they feel really disadvantaged in drafts against better players. Really that's a big plus in and of itself for finding a completely different game.

>with casual friends
NONE. There is no game that is cheaper than Magic for playing casual, because there are literal tons of "jank" cards (mostly Common draft fodder) that are thrown away or given for free. There is nothing cheaper than Magic for casual, as long as you aren't trying to get the cards used in competitive decks.

>both, really.
If you want the ability to do group games, your choices are very limited.

GoT 2.0 LCG I guess. No idea if L5R can do more than two players. There's also a bunch of Board/Cardgames that work for more than two players I think, might want to ask /bgg/

Buying a few boxes of cards from a game which is no longer supported is cheap.

Other that look up Fantasy Flight Game's "Living Card Games" e.g. Net Runner, Lord of the Rings Card Game, Legend of the Five Rings.

Assembling a cube would also work. But the downside is that the learning curve would be steep if you were to also play with a group that doesn't play Mtg well

>There is no game cheaper than magic for casual play
Uno? Poker? Pokemon
TCG?

How much is cards against humanity?

May I introduce you to our lord and savior, Paper Pauper?

magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/formats/pauper

It's cheap as fuck while retaining all the strengths of MtG. If you want "Magic but not idiotically expensive", look no further because it doesn't get better than Pauper. If you are playing Paper and casually in your group, you don't even have to adhere to the MTGO Printlist and can just use whatever you have as Commons around and it completely eliminates the financial arms race that inevitably destroys most casual groups because it's so damn cheap to build any deck you want that even the biggest poorfag can afford the toppest tier deck.

From what I've gathered, these seem like kind of cooperative experiences? Not really quite what we're after; more of a competitive setting. Correct my if I'm wrong, my research is limited.

Ideally something more serious, but we have played munchkin to different degrees of boredom.

Aye, but to those of us experienced in magic, playing with Draft Chaff is pretty dull compared to turn 3 modern blowouts.

Any such unsupported games you can think of?

Not quite looking for the drunk college girls' game.

Netrunner and nuL5R can't do group play at all.

>kind of cooperative experiences?
Only the Lord of the Rings and the Arkham Horror one. That said, apart from those two only Game of Thrones can do 2+ players, at least when it comes to FFG's games.
Doomtown is dead again and I have no idea bout Ashes.

>playing with Draft Chaff is pretty dull compared to turn 3 modern blowouts.
Yes, but so is every other card game in existence. Competitive Magic is expensive and exciting. There are loads of games that are cheaper and less exciting, but if your standard is "has to be as exciting as Modern tournaments", you are fucked.

For UNO you have to buy an Uno deck, Poker is gambling and gambling always costs somebody money, and it is hard to find so many free Pokemon cards because Pokemon is not as popular as Magic. You can build a Magic deck for free.

I've gotten into deck building games lately.
Dominion is the classic experience, although it is competitive.
Shadowrun Crossfire is cooperative, but it's really, fucking hard when starting out, only supports 4 players max. I'd suggest trying out Dragonfire if you can, because I think that's basically Crossfire revised rules.
Marvel Legendary is pretty simple to play, is cooperative (unless you try out the Villain expansion), is simple and supports up to 5 or 6 players, and the game comes with a bit of variety (with interchangeable Masterminds, Schemes, villain & henchmen groups and Hero rosters), plus the expansions just add to it.

The WoW card game is probably the best one. It can be played as a 1v1 or coop game(you can try with more people but not sure how balanced it'd be)

Don't worry goy, we the eternal kike make sure pauper becomes very expensive soon, hehehe think of my investment goyim!

If you want a cooperative card game there's Sentinels of the Multiverse.

It's pretty alright.

Play card games on your phone instead of actually buying physical cards.

The best part of card games is touching and feeling the cards.

Unless they're in Masters 25 at uncommon of lower Ash Barrens, Battle Screech, Chainer's Edict and Nettle Sentinel will be $10+ cards by June.

You mean go to draft and pick up the cards they throw out?
Mobile games are mostly made to Jew you out of your money.

Bulk magic cards can be found for 4/penny or something like that. Its the (basic) lands that'll cost you anything at all.

But what are the chances of winning with these cards? I can't see these cards being good.

Vanguard can be cheap if you're not going after the latest and greatest (including archetypes that got a recent update), with the upshot that you may be able to invest into more serious play if you get lucky.

Old Vs System is pretty cheap and good.

>play with a group of casual friends?
Every card game

Why do you care about winning? The thread explicitly called for casual play.

Just get ygo pro that's about as cheap as it gets.
Unless you want the physical cards you can't do much better than free.

>No idea if L5R can do more than two players.

Old game can, new game currently doesn't have rules for it but the cards are phrased in such a way that it seems to indicate they might be planning to add that in the future.

With the old CCG dead OP might be able to buy into one of the old L5R formats and do that with his friends. Not sure what the prices are like these days.

Android Netrunner because everyone can split cost of the core set and it lets you create a deck or two for each side. Easy to learn and cheap to get into since all the sets now have a playset of every card

Yuchret. What's it, like 99 cents for a pack of cards?

Fuckin phone. Euchre is what I meant

Just play YGOpro. Can't get cheaper than free.

Epic. It's exactly what you're looking for.

YuGiOh, they have 10 cent versions of 10 dollar rares.

also mtg pauper.

Those are the most viable options for you user.

technically couldn't you just print magic cards on paper and put them into plastic sleeves with a real card behind it for weight?

If you're playing with friends and not tourneys, just print that shit out on cardstock and play with that. I have every yugioh, mtg, pokemon, digimon and duel master card ever printed for about 1 cent on the dollar. allows us to plan tourney decks ahead of time without having to risk damaging our cards, plus, if we have to get a new one, we just go print it out.

>Ashes
Another vote for ashes.

Vs system in any format, even random punks, is infinitely better than mtg

Ravnica cube can be fun

Made by a bunch of ex magic players, has a built in draft.

How does it compare to mtg proper? I know the basics are very simmilar, but what about some more intricate rules interactions/combos?

There's also Blue Moon Legends, a one- off purchase with like ten different decks ready to play.

Literally any LCG. The new one that’s currently pretty popular is Legend of the Five Rings. Which is Japanese fantasy.

Euchre?

+1 for WoW tcg, buy a couple of decks or a box to draft, maybe a raid deck and you're good. It's not a great free-for-all game, but some of the non-automated raid decks are decently challenging

>YuGiOh, they have 10 cent versions of 10 dollar rares.
Explain further.

try Star Wars Destiny. its stupidly simple to learn and can be obtained as a two-player starter set.

FoW, singles in New Frontiers tend to be cheap, and packs also have good play value. Epic is a good draft/pickup game for people looking for a MtG flavor. Also, keep an eye out for cheap boxes of dead games like .hack, Duel Masters, and such.

Pauper Magic exists.