He optimizes his character instead of roleplaying

>he optimizes his character instead of roleplaying

>he can't do both

There's an argument to be made in favor of optimization from a roleplaying perspective.

Long story short, if you want to roleplay - and I mean actually, seriously roleplay - da best somethinger in the world, then not having the highest possible score in somethinging is plain nonsensical.

Of course, that works both ways. Having your worldwide MMA champion crushed by an average thug is as immersion-breaking as if your average thug beat the enemy champion.

There's also the question of whether or not the campaign actually asks for optimization or focuses on character development. Not that it can't do both, but it's as legitimate to be pissed at a pacifist D&D/Pathfinder player than to be pissed at someone who doesn't describe anything in FATE.

You can scream Stormwind Fallacy all you fucking want, in actual play, I have never seen an optimizer who actually fucking roleplays as anything but his most optimal facet.

>he doesn't optimize and roleplay SO poorly that it creates an underflow error on both ends and wraps back around to being a masterpiece

Is shit like this reportable? This faggot made this exact same topic yesterday, I swear.

If you roleplay around the goal of "I wanna be the best X in the world" without any actual character beyond that, you have a shitty character, and are a shitty roleplayer.

>build character that's only semi-competent
>lots of roleplay features
>have fun with character
>die in combat only 2 sessions in because my character isn't built properly

To that, I agree. But think, for instance, about a character who has the most elite skill in something shady as fuck, but was raised to be honorable all the same. Like, he's the best sniper in the whole damn world, but he won't kill an innocent. I feel like those could make for some interesting scenes.

Nobody knows - present ruling is a mess. Try and find out, they will usually let you with a warning if you report something that's not bannable.

You can report anything you like. The mods don't give a flying fuck and haven't for almost a year and a half - unless it's their personal preference. Our mods love politics, SJW shit, and racial crap from /pol/ and /b/. You can report an entire thread for hours and it will get ignored.

Yes. Whether or not that accomplishes anything is a different story.

>his character can't 1v1 a bloodthirster
Might as well kill him off. Oh wait, the usual combat encounter will do that for you.

I've seen someone like that.

I just have to look in the mirror.

>Didn't optimizes his character
DM: I'm sorry user that I killed your character
>Optimize his character
DM: You're not roleplaying correctly. I can't increase the difficulty of combat without risking the death of the other poorly optimize party members.

DM and the other players need to git gud

and my favorite
DM: If I sense you are min-maxing, I'm automatically going to kill your character off.

Sorry but my first GM gave me PTSD where if your character wasn't top of the line he would kill you, if you role played anything from being an alcoholic to disliking the color green he would use that against you to fuck you over to the fullest degree and even then he might just kill you for laughs.

>tfw playing deathwatch with bros
>everyone optimizes their characters
>DM can go all out on us
>have operator-kino sessions/players going rules of nature on enemies of mankind

>DM: If I sense you are min-maxing, I'm automatically going to kill your character off.
... How
What
Why
How does this even happen

Feel free to point out if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean that the DM doesn't trust his players ? How can you DM without trusting your players ? What's next, dice inspection to make sure they're not pipped ?

How many times have you played offline? Twice?

That makes me just want to minmax my character even harder, so that I can survive anything the DM can throw at me. Ignoring 'rocks fall you die', of course.

Had a GM say this recently. I walked. Not a fan of that shit.

I mean, yeah, but if you're actually having a pissing contest with your GM, something has gone seriously wrong somewhere and it's time to stop and reconsider everything that led to this moment.

Why would he even say this? Most gms that do this want to have high lethality games, but why don't they allow optimized characters? I never understood that.

Probably longer than you've been alive.

I dunno, but I'm sure there are players that are cool with that. I wouldn't have had fun. Even not optimizing, I don't like the idea that if I hit some invisible line he set, he's going to kill my character.

I'm playing to win, not to pretend to be a dwarf

I remember dealing with the very epitome of "that guy" at my table, and in addition to cheating he was guilty of this too. It got to the point where, even when I took him aside and asked him to, for the next game we were going to start, try and make a character more in line with the power levels of the rest of the party.
Boy did I ever get an earful about how I was "asking him to deliberately cripple his characters", and how it would destroy his character concept and ability to correctly roleplay the character "if he was all fluff and had no crunch to back it up".
Now, ignoring for a moment that he sought to remove crunch as a factor at all by turning dice when he thought nobody was looking, to say that making a character of similar power to the rest of the group cripples your concept SHOULD be an indicator that your current character concept is better off as a goal for a few levels down the road.
I am overjoyed to not have that player at my table or in my life anymore. Fat, unwashed, foul-smelling, going bald at 20 son of a bitch.

I tend to 'mostly optimize' my characters. Like, I'll pick stupid ideas to optimize, like an evocation-based wizard, or as powerful an antimage* you can make, and then do my best.

Either that, or I'll pick something to 'minmax' my roleplaying. Pick something that has a large effect on the plot and character, while it doesn't punish the character mechanically. Like picking a Grey Elf for a Warlock. Doesn't use intelligence at all, but has a really good backstory for having run away from his decadent wizard family to go persue his personal path of magic... namely, by being a demon's bitch.

In truth, with a splash of warmage and abjurant champion, you can make a pretty scary melee antimage. Dispelling everything as swift action, Mage Slayer (With Practiced Caster to counteract the CL reduction, if Abjurant Champion doesn't fix that first), and some nice buff spells, you can be pretty scary. I might end up using that against my PCs...

That's the attitude many GMs try to evict from their table.

>How
Because the DM was new and I know how to build characters for a very long time.
>What
This was on Discord
>Why
She thinks powergamers hog all the spot light and ruin the game for the others

She finally agree to let me keep my character because I explain that I had years of experience building characters and that I would never steal the spotlight, but act like a safety net incase combat went bad.

>act like a safety net incase combat went bad.

Krosis? You ended up breaking that 'staff of power' you conned the GM into giving you just because you were losing in a solo duel against a boss NPC we weren't meant to fight.

>act like a safety net incase combat went bad.
For you, gentleman, enabler of roleplaying, I applaud.

I agree, every party should have a safety net InCase.
It's a Rope Trick but the dimension features a horny futa tiefling

I understood that reference.
... Why did I understand that reference

When you get to my age, you want the younger players to have fun and the DM to tell her story. Eventually the new players will make a grave tactical error and/or the DM throws something that the party might not handle, you are going to have to take off your gloves and go save the party.

>Greatest Player Tip as an old experience in a group of new players

Don't fight at 100%. If the party fights 50% of what your character is capable of doing, you fight at 50%. You only go full 100% if the party at risk of getting wiped out.

>doesn't optimize for roleplaying

Actual play more then.

Yeah, that's one of the good things of having optimized characters on players that can actually roleplay. When everyone's going at 100% you can have some of the toughest fighting possible and it feels vivid and lively.

>I'm Automatically going to kill your character off.

I love the Obi wan kenobi paradox and I love when DM's think this is a viable solution. I have never truly been on the receiving end of this effect but I have seen it in action and it is always funny.

DM's who do this fail to realize that kill a character doesn't make them conform, but more or less incites them to optimize even harder to the point where they could kill cthulhu at level 1.

My character is optimized in ways that support my roleplaying.

My character is roleplayed in ways that justify and support his optimization.

I usually build the character and THEN I write the back-story so it works.

then I keep in appropriate character...

That's garbage though, I get the idea of mastering the system and having things work in a certain way that they break but for fucks sake. There's a time and place for that just like in those multi character/class RPG video games.

Just because you can pull out your max level, top tier character to play with your friends who just started the game doesn't mean you should. They don't want to watch you play the game and follow you around while you play the game. Are power gamers that fucking autistic that they refuse to understand this simple concept?

>he posts literal Nazi images on a progressive board

>progressive board

Don't confuse the newfags by implying we tolerate Stormfags shitting the board up.

Please do confuse the newfags by implying we tolerate soyboys shitting up the board.

>progressive
go jump in an oven or
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/nothere/

>He thinks Nazi's weren't progressives
Totalitarianism is always progress by any and every means. That's why it's so horrible.

>Policing reaction pics on an image board beyond beyond the sfw divide
>>>/Reddit/
Have a commie image to balance it out if it will make you shut up.

I think the part about killing players off purposefully to try and get them to stop doing something inevitably making them do it is just a general thing because people don't like dealing with someone who wields the petty power of a fantasy game like that. One player in my group once was purposefully killed off by the GM because he made stupid (but nonlethal and uninvolved in his death) decisions and the GM hoped his next character wouldn't make those kinds of decisions and his next character ramped that up to 11 and they got so bad he died as a werewolf rock. Yes, he did some crazy stupid things that directly led him there that time, but the party suffer for the interim.

You ever sucked a bay's dick, kike?

Get the hell of my board /pol/. You literally do not belong here.

You know what I’ve never seen effectively roleplayed before?

A dumb person.

And I don’t mean the village idiot or the “me grog me hate books” type that’s so popular with new players. I mean someone that’s just plain stupid, or at least dim. They’re friendly enough, but just don’t trust them with the bigger picture.

>I say totalitarianism is horrible
>reee get out /pol/
You don't belong here you underaged retard: learn to read, get through school, and then come back in 6 to 8 years when this place has more malware ads and the captcha involves solving wheres waldo while juggling on camera or some shit.

>he shitposts on Veeky Forums instead of actually playing games

Have you tried... you know

>Are power gamers that fucking autistic that they refuse to understand this simple concept?
Yes. Alternatively, they assume everyone else will/should be doing the same until they get slapped in the face with a plank with a message stating otherwise.

That's not the point, though. A player being killed off isn't trying to "show off his skills and be the main character", he's trying to beat the DM within the rules of the game. Instead of talking to players and saying "NO", DMs will have their own power-trip and try and use mechanics to kill off players, which inadvertently Players will double, triple and quadruple down just to beat the DM. Player's don't like being fucked around with. If you want them to stop power-gaming, literally talk to them, raise your concern and they will either obey or leave peacefully, that's all one has to do. If you stat it, they will kill it. If you strike them down, they will only become more stronger than you can ever imagine.

Micah, no.

I did it once. He was a former farmer thrown in a plot about saving the multiverse from itself. This lead to some pretty satisfying roleplay between him, the resident wizard and the not-a-cleric who took turn trying to explain the world to him.

>I don't get it. What's a "rift"?
>Alright, look at this ball of mud. Imagine that everything you know - the world, then - is this ball of mud.
>But the world isn't made of mud, there's also the sky and stars!
>They're all inside, okay? This is something that is everything, horizon, sky, stars, earth, sun and wind.
>Uh... Alright.
>Now, take this other ball of mud. It's... another everything.
>... What.
>Yeah, that's everyone's reaction at first.

>Don't fight at 100%. If the party fights 50% of what your character is capable of doing, you fight at 50%. You only go full 100% if the party at risk of getting wiped out.
Tbh, this is only acceptable if you have limited daily resources. Unless your character is made to be an arrogant prick (or your typical isekai MC), there is very rarely a reason to fight at half power.

This.
The mods virtually stopped existing when Nip moot took over.

It's really hard to roleplay someone dumber than yourself.

It's also more likely to frustrate everyone at the table.
Amusingly enough, Veeky Forums was considered the most "bluepilled" board, the least likely to get involved in the social politics or jump on sides. Likely why the /pol invasion was so strong, it was too tempting.
I mean, shit, there are literal screencaps of plans to sow misinformation about Magic in Veeky Forums from /pol/lacks, user.

You really think there's a 24 hour op going on or just some screencap saying there's a 24 hour op going on? The mere idea seems to have riled people up enough. Every other thing seems to be done by /pol/ and I've seen people saying something is /pol/ getting accused of being /pol/ themselves. It's a /pol/ception. Even regular old shitposting is /pol/ now.

go back to /v/

This is absolutely true, all the people screaming that you're wrong are guaranteed to be the faggots that show up with 3rd party splats that make them into demigods and justify it with "I just want to roleplay someone 'competent,' that's all!"
Because apparently they think competent people in the real world can see the future of their every action and instantly know what they should study in order to completely invalidate their every problem.

Finally a girl in correct uniform.
It is so hard to find animu girls in correct uniforms. How hard can it be for filthy weebs to get it right?

You can get a warning for reporting things? I'm calling bullshit. I report things all of the time. Jack shit gets done about anything even if it's literally an example on the rule's page of what not to do, but I've never gotten any feedback, warning or otherwise because of it.

>he optimises his character and then roleplays the sort of turbo autist those stats describe to a T

Get out of here, /pol/tard.

Why the fuck do I even bother coming here anymore?