Are there any alternate weapons for Jedi...

Are there any alternate weapons for Jedi? Or any historical precedent for Jedi opting to use their hands instead of a lightsaber?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force-imbued_blade
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crushgaunt
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Matukai
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Jedi have long been masters of the lightsaber. But just remember that Clone Wars episode when Mace beats the shit out of all those battle droids with just his fists.

Yeah, but I'm talking about Jedi who would train specifically to use their hands instead of a lightsaber. Or Sith, for that matter.

I think it’s been implied that Force users predate the lightsaber.

There are a lot of Force Traditions that aren't tied to the Lightsaber.

My favorite is the Kel Dor Force Martial Arts that can kick the shit out of people.

Another good one are the Elemental Force Powers. You can literally thunder punch people.

I think they're called Matukai Adepts, but they use a halberd-like weapon. The only martial artists I can think of are Wardens of the Sky and masters of Teras Kasi, but the Wardens were invented entirely for Star Wars RPG Saga Edition and to my knowledge haven't appeared in anything else.

Yes, several. This might all be retconned though

The Je'daii (proto Jedi basically) predate even the primitive force saber, which was highly inefficient (Basically, a shitty lightsaber with a cord attached to a belt mounted battery that only had a few minutes of use). Historically, before the first lightsabers, they used swords and polearms that were specially forged to attune and be imbued with the force. The Sith were also known to continue using actual blades throughout galactic history, imbued with poisons and mutagenic Sith Alchemy.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force-imbued_blade

There are many forms and styles of force martial arts, and even entire sects in the Jedi Order who specialize in it. Most famously, Mace Windu mastered several forms.

A personal favourite of mine

Yeah, Luke Skywalker studied and practiced an ancient martial art from a primitive age. It was known as marksmanship. Capable of killing a man from nearly a mile away or even defeating the strongest weapon platform in the known universe when combined with the force. It was so strong that Obi Wan briefly relied upon it to instantly kill an insurmountable foe that wielded four light sabers at once! Truly, there's nothing quite like it.

Just use a fucking blaster. They'll never see it coming.

Shotguns are better against Jedi.

Kotor had the echani martial art style

Just use a god damn lightsaber and be done with it. I'm sick of these snowflake Star Wars role players who have to be special and unique. "I can't just use a lightsaber, it has to have 7 blades and 5 handles and spin around and need 2 hands and my mouth to use it." They're supposed to be simple an efficient for a reason. "An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age." Just use a regular lightsaber like a normal person.

It was really more Kotor 2 where that got fleshed out, mainly because the handmaiden wanted your dick

Is Teras Kasai still a thing and available in the rpg, or did it die with that awful game?

No, they are supposed to be a bitch to use if one wants to commit wanton violence and mass murder. The lightsaber makes it painfully clear that it is hilariously dangerous and effortlessly lethal to both others and the user. If they want to make use of it, they have to commit, really truly commit, to a violent course of action that will likely leave the other with a fewer limbs and yourself the target of blaster fire. This is not something they want to encourage nor make light of so the weapon they use is dangerous, inconvenient and forces one to confront their enemy from up close, forcing the jedi to face the consequences of their decisions.

>Are there any alternate weapons for Jedi?
Several, all not as good as your standard lightsaber
>Or any historical precedent for Jedi opting to use their hands instead of a lightsaber?
They’ve always used some kind of weapon to protect themselves physically, before lightsabers there were protosabers, and before that it was a special sword I think. The sith used force sabers before switching to proto and then to lightsabers

>all not as good as your standard lightsaber
A well trained force sensitive wielding blasters is more akin to an aim-bot and vastly more efficient and lethal than one using a lightsaber. The jedi don't operate that way because they don't *want* to, not because the lightsaber is the be-all-end-all.

>Or Sith, for that matter.

Darth Sidious aka Emperor Palpatine aka Monster Mash canonically despises the use of light sabers, seeing them as crude. He's probably the closest major character that prefers to be the blaster caster than the beatstick.

What if I wanted to be a Jedi that used gauntlets?

I see it more as him viewing any situation that requires them as a sign of repeated failure or lack of power in the Force. Same as the Jedi, ironically (replace power in the Force with Trust in the Force).

I think OP meant weapons completely unrelated to lightsabers, not just a weird lightsaber. I can see lots of people wanting to play that because of Chirrut from Rogue One, even if he isn't a jedi

There are rifles that are powered by lightsabers which focus their energies into a deadly blast, featured in a recent Vader comic.

>A tripfag who's helpful
Huh. Neat!

Yeah there were. Jedi weapon masters were Jedi who mastered non conventional weapons. Unarmed combat, lightsaber pikes, double bladed lightsabers and even demolitions all qualified. So the precedent definitely exists.

They'll go Neo on your ass, senpai. Same with flamethrowers.

Slugthrowers are still the ideal weapon against a Jedi, if you're unable to set up traps or mines.

Could you catch a lightsaber using cortosis gloves?

Yes.

Respectfully disagree tbphwyf

What about mandalorians boxing a force user to death? Now hear me out, most of their armour is already lightsabre proof and they wouldn't be fighting anyone truly skilled. Wouldn't a Mandalorian chief or captain have good chance of just boxing a lightsabre duelist to death?

Only if Travis is writing

You mean sonic weapons?

>A well trained force sensitive wielding blasters is more akin to an aim-bot and vastly more efficient and lethal than one using a lightsaber.
Picture me laughing very hard my friend, cuz that’s what happened
>you go to blast a force sensitive with your *awesome* blaster and he deflects that shit back at you
>rip user

>not replacing your feeble limbs with cortosis prosthetic

I too enjoyed kotor 2

From NuCanon

What age?
If after the sith, no, you'll be trained in lightsaber and a single one, they're weapon to defend against blasters. Sith died long ago, no need to train in offensive weapons.

It really peeves me they never developed any like, light-shield technology.
That shit would require WAY less expenditure of precognition to block things with.

? Jocasta died in the events of revenge of the sith, the fuck?

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crushgaunt

Several canon things show force field bucklers that would be perfect for lightsaber duelling if nothing else. Bigger ones seem much less common.

Also I am sure a Phrik quarterstaff would be ideal for a force user who is not into the slicing people up/peaceful space wizard thing.

are they waxed with a woodoo hide?

bucklers, eh?
Why are gungans the only one who can figure out shields?

You know they decided to use swords made of laser just because it looks cool, right?

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Matukai
These dudes are probably what you are looking for, OP.

No. The cortosis would cause the lightsaber to short out use mandalorian iron instead

He does use sabers when he wants a laugh.
Guy was clearly having the time of his life when he used his Sheev Spin

This.

The Exile is a woman.

nucanon bruh. nucanon cancer.

Anyway, there are options in FFG Star Wars:
-cortosis gauntlets (combine with Martial Artist and the Enhance force power and you're really, really scary)
-force pike or electrostaff
Or alternatively you could just get a vibrosword and pay out the arse to have it cortosis-plated

Nobody cares what TOR said.

Wis modifier to defense says otherwise

I always liked female Revan / male Exile best

Mass drivers are the real ideal weapon. They're like slugthrowers but better, and most importantly you don't need to get close like you do with a shotgun. Plus there's minimal delay with such a fast projectile, so that's less time for a force intuition asspull or something.

That is now Legends.

It's a martial art on the WotC games.

It's been expanded universe canon since Shadows of the Empire, so it may be somewhere in d6 too.
As for FFG, you could fluff the Martial Artist as using it. Maybe cross-spec into Marauder if you want to really wreck someone with it (Feral Strength and Frenzied Attack, fuck yeah).
Plus having weapon-based skills fits with its inspiration of silat.

Nice.

Yeah you can use alternate weapons. Obviously there are alternative lightsabers like force pikes etc. Meh.

In the Jedis' early days, they used force-enhanced melee weapons. Later, they all switched to Laser Swords with power packs. Eventually recycling crystals were invented and they started using lightsabers exclusively. I think that last one was a Sith invention.

The thing is, bare handed melee makes sense. It allows you to operate without openly revealing yourself as a Jedi and even when disarmed. Obviously there are other force-using traditions and they often have alternative weapons, unarmed fighting, or no fighting discipline at all.

But otherwise, what possible weapon could match a normal lightsaber? It's compact, handy, has an excellent battery life and is easily recharged, and is durable. The only physical component you can fuck up is the handle, which stays in your hand, and has minimal exposure compared to pikes etc. The beam can cut through nearly anything, defends you against melee and some ranged attacks, is used in meditation, and vanishes when not needed.

It's basically the perfect melee weapon. Other than unarmed fighting, any alternative to a lightsaber either implies a very different character morphology or is an intentionally inferior choice picked for social/political reasons to say, "I'm NOT a jedi" or declare snowflake status.

Sorry, sometimes there really is only one good answer to a problem.

I guess it was meant to make them seem more primitive but it definitely would have given them an advantage if they used blasters too

Revan works well with either, but male exile is ridiculously better than female due to the crew interactions, Atris, Handmaiden>Disciple, and Bro Atton being better than thirsty Atton.

what's the midichlorian count of a force blade :^)

>aiming is a lost art
explains stormtroopers

Best non-canon force tradition used these bad boys