WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!
Secret Santa unboxings at imgur.com/a/qS7PH

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WWpZC1bKfX8
youtube.com/watch?v=_jbfIRh8kP8
strawpoll.me/14692516
krylon.com/products/shimmer-metallic/
amazon.com/Squadron-Products-SQ10203-Seam-Scraper/dp/B000GKWE1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Got pic related for Christmas, how do I go about sculpting greenstuff spikes onto the shoulder pads to make them more chaos for an Iron Warriors army?

Did you get any models from family and/or friends, outside of the Secret Santa?

Made out pretty good this year. Working on a portfolio to get a commissions business going. Also just had a hankering to do some Guard, as I used to play them back in 4th/5th.

the beauty of iron warriors is that you really don't need to add loads of spikes and junk to them.
If you do make spikes then I'd recommend avoiding greenstuff, it won't come out that well, instead I recommend carving up excess sprue, plasticard or coctail sticks

Cultists and assorted goodies in bottom right are my SS, the rest is from wife/family.

I've got a hell of a backlog now, but I'm especially excited to crack open those soviets. I've never painted anything other than GW models before so it's going to be very new to me.

Got a Space Marine Librarian from the GF.

Holy hell, what a haul. And yeah, backlog is why I only asked for three model-related things this year. I'm hoping to get the Plaguebearers I asked for on my Birthday in two days.

Models and a girlfriend. You lucky fuck.

Slapped together yet another big mek

first full unit complete. have another ten chaos warriors i'll have to do but fuck that. gonna do knights or something first. i still love all the extra bits you get on the CW sprue, all the little spikes and skulls and topknots and shit

any tips or exercises for getting steadier hands? stretching my fingers and wrist backwards helps, and i can usually manage a little jitter, but it's annoying

Guys what the hell is wrong with me?
I have painted an entire flames of war army, and at best they look okay. I have a BA Italian army that is also just okay. I have moved on the 28mm Prussians for Black powder. Again they just look okay.

I have followed the guides, thinned my paints, gotten the paint on smoothly and so forth. But i just can't make my models look very good. I am not even going for amazing quality. Just good enough to play. But honestly i feel almost ashamed to put my models on a table looking as bland as they do.

Post pics you clown

Got a voucher to my flgs so technically?

i am gonna regret this

>remembrancer sculptor of an early pre-unification age psyker gifted with foresight, widely regarded as having seen through the veil and into the immaterium

>Assembling Sister of Silence
>Glue wrong leg on
>"haaaa!"
youtube.com/watch?v=WWpZC1bKfX8

They honestly don't look that bad user, you're being too hard on yourself.

As for advice, the biggest one seems to be that they're lacking in highlighting, as well as the patchiness in certain areas like the white belts, the skin, and some of the trousers.

Are you just drybrushing them? Because that could explain a lot for why you've plateaued in your painting abilities. Edge highlighting can be tricky at first, but you'll see the quality of your painting expand massively once you get the hang of it.

Skin is tricky, but I think that's the area of the mini that's letting you down the most. I don't see much consistency between the two figures, though the guy on the right is definitely the better one. A simple way of doing skin is putting down a consistent basecoat, layering on your mid-tone, giving it a light wash, re-add your mid-tone, then finish with an extreme highlight on a few select areas like the nose, brow, and chin.

You were right! Staying at the back of the party with your eyes closed *does* work!

youtube.com/watch?v=_jbfIRh8kP8

No kidding, I'm beyond grateful.

I finally finished brother chad!

Got nothing at all.

Merry Christmas, /wip/. I'm sharing a guide I bought from a Golden Demon winner.

I've got a redemptor dreadnought coming soon so I'm doing some planning on how I'm going to pimp it out

I run my own chapter that some of you may have seen posted here before (Space wolves models with as much of the wolf shit removed as possible and more runes instead) and I'm trying to think of what I could try and greenstuff for iconography on the redemptor to make it more in theme with the rest of my army

So far I've been making some greenstuff runes from the venerable dread kits axe/shield but I'm stuck on what else to make. Thoughts, ideas?

You'll always have us, brother.

aaaaaaaaaay

big slab of rock with some runes carved into the front maybe?

Always interesting to see how many Golden Demon winners recommend fully assembling before painting. Seems like people have such polarizing opinions on it. Thanks for sharing, user!

on where, the "nose" of the sarcophagus or one of the side armor plates

i got 50 bucks, plus a 25 dollar amazon gift card from my contracting agency by way of a bonus. the job itself pays almost twice what i was expecting entry level in my field so i'm not gonna bitch

might buy some brushes or something on amazon, and gonna head down to the hobby shop tomorrow and spend the 50. backlog is big enough not gonna get any gray plastic, more looking for hobby essentials beyond the very basics since i'm a dipshit noob. hobby knife, bluetac, greenstuff, maybe a buttplug, some edge paints, maybe blood for the blood god.

what else would be some less obvious essentials for somebody just getting in? i asked this yesterday but still filling out the list.

I don't usually drybrush unless there is a huge area i need to do and there is no danger of getting the wrong colour on the wrong part. With Napoleonics there is not much room for drybrushing.

I had been using a dark prussian blue as the base coat and moved up to just plain prussian blue. I then mixed a little white in with prussian blue for highlights but it looked too stark a contrast so i ended up washing them to dull it a bit.

I think my choice of colours is part of my problem. I am bad at choosing what to highlight etc with.

Makes sense on a model like this - there's nothing really blocking anything else, like when you're assembling regular Space Marines (fucking Boltguns) or Cadians (fucking Lasguns).

Consider how you're going to base your guys if you haven't already. You may want to pick up some flocking material or texture paints.

If you don't already have it, brush cleaner. I recommend Masters brand, it'll help extend the lives of your brushes greatly.

Tools for working with greenstuff (look like shit a dentist would use), bluestuff if you're going to be casting small things, small drill and bits for drilling barrels and magnets and what not, also magnets. Otherwise basing supplies, while its the most expensive I swear by the citadel texture paints. Stuff for cleaning and maintaining your brushes is also a plus. Jewelers saw, and those fancy shaped blades you can get for xacto knives can be handy as well.

Yeah lad I got 40 mantic zombies and bought myself some spirit hosts with gift money, this is the wip of my spirit hosts so far!
jesus christ they were weird to slot together

hey user, try using the following, a smaller brush, a bit of the model stuck on the end of a stick (blu tac works fine for this) or bracing what you can against a table
I
additionally a wash applied to those chaos warriors in various spots would certainly improve their appearance. eg for fur cloaks(if you dont have a wash just mix a like 20% black paint with 80% water, put a dab of dishwashing detergent in and shake liberally. apply to crevices on cape then either wipe off with your finger or the brush the stuff sticking on top.

Poll continues

>strawpoll.me/14692516

Got some models bigger than a Chimera now, also used my Amazon gift card to buy a Valkyrie.

The Citadel moldline remover is pricey but worth it because you can't cut your fingers with it and the unusual shape helps you reach odd angles.

I actually do wash, but looking at some close-up vids of people washing, I think I'm way underdoing it.

i wouldnt recommend someone on a budget spend 30 dollars on a tool you can either ebay an industrial version of for $2 or use a blunt knife

Got some ork shit to work on for my grot-mek army at the GW Boxing Day event, won the my new waifu at auction

Spent Christmas assembling cultists

Please tell me they arent official gw

The torsos and rifle arms are forgeworld renegades, the rest is from Victoria miniatures.

what are you on about, forge world can do no wrong and every model is amazing

Well these are recasts.

GF got me a box of Necrons so I guess I collect Necrons now. I'm thinking a really funky color, maybe candy apple red

You sure that's not china-cast?

>tfw got a repulsor, Redemptor Dread, and a new Librarian in Termie armor from family for christmas
Lads, would it make sense for minotaurs to have a repulsor? It's cool as shit, but I haven't a clue where to start

100% certain, even got replacement stuff from FW, it was better but not by much.
I'm never ordering anything even slightly old from them again

FW and other weapons. GW cultists are notably different

you should get the first set of color changing metallics from greenstuffworld and paint them with one of those colors, they'd look badass.

>The Redcrons
do it

Hot rod red armor with a high-gloss finish, bright gold skeleton bits.

>color changing metallics
That's a thing? fuck! I'm set on my Redcrons, but that'd make for a bitchin' active camo effect.

I know right? Or like hot metal effect.

Legit candy apple red spray paint. Let us know how it works out.
krylon.com/products/shimmer-metallic/

tried to add some more detail to the tabbard, could be worse but I don't think it's quite right

Mein gott. Remind me to never order old stuff from FW. They use the molds to the breaking point.

There really isn't anything polarizing about it. The model has an open pose, you can reach anywhere without problems. No need for it. Doing it just for the sake of is pointless.

Nah, they’re recasts. Thought you were talking about the sculpts.

>forgeworld renegades, the rest is from Victoria miniatures
Nice combo. Looks great.

Yeah their DKoK stuff is pretty jankey at times but it's pretty much a roll of the dice, I think the guardsmen at ease is better because I think they are old moulds but freshly cast as of recent

This is what you get when you fall for the Z meme.

Either too many folds, of that the folds don't match up to the legs?
Eh, looks just fine though, wish I had your skill.

>Either too many folds, of that the folds don't match up to the legs?
I think it's mainly the position of the folds, I'm thinking I might lose a few and that might make the shape a bit more natural.
This is my first propper attempt at doing anything other than gap filling or sculpting fur with green stuff, it's pretty fun.

Nice work for a first time. Whats the plan for the model?
Also, how does one sculpt fur. I have a project that may warrant it, and I have no idea how to do it.

Redpill me on the easy to build snap-fit stuff GW is pushing

you'll have your shit painted and on the table faster, helping you eliminate that backlog easier

Cheaper than the standard kits, no in-built customization, but can still be converted if you know what you're doing.

Probably loads cheaper for GW and helps pull in some more of the younger and "casual" crowds. Is nice to get a discount though on certain kits. Wasn't expecting a $25 price point on the blight hauler.

>ebay an industrial version of for $2
Link please?

Thanks. I'm thinking of trying some because these Aggressors are a bitch to put together, specifically lining up the cables so they fit just right. Then I saw they have an easy to build option for those so I am considering trying that but I was worried the quality might be a little worse or they would have a reputation as being too casual.

i cant find them, but i remember some user talking about being able to get the ones they use to remove mouldlines on shit like plastic bus seats, and you could get them dirt cheap

Shit, you might as well cause the easy to build kit for those guys has one of their best load outs anyway, and they look exactly the same, only way to tell is the static pose.

>Buying more kits from GW will help eliminate your backlog
Wow, really makes you think!

amazon.com/Squadron-Products-SQ10203-Seam-Scraper/dp/B000GKWE1M

not quite $2, but so much better than paying $30+

What do you guys do for 3D printing if you dont have a 3D printer...

Whats your favorite/best model you've painted this year /WIP/?

Well, do you have an colleges nearby with some kind of engineering, 3d art, or computer degrees? They might have a 3d printer they'd let you use for the cost of the materials, thats how I usually print stuff.

Probably this.

Check if any of your local libraries have a 'maker space' or similar setup. The library wehre I used to live had a separate room with 3d printer, photo-editing stuff, button presses, and all kinds of cool shit you could use at materials cost.

Maybe a user can help me, I'm new to the island of Oahu and looking to get back into wargaming.

Isnt blight hauler kinda tiny model? Almost as big as a death guard termi?

Either this shit picture of my Mortarion

or...

My GUO.

Was happy with my Cawl and Nurgle daemon prince too.

Currently painting the AOS snail guy

Damn, that looks really nasty. Nice.

Thanks, it’s my first time working in resin so it’s been a learning experience.
Hopefully it’ll look better painted.

I thought id be adventurous and paint the thigh panel like a piece of wood, but it looks so out of place now.

Whats the best method for taking the paint off a specific surface? Im thinking of using a toothpick dabbed in nail polish to break down the paint carefully and get it off.

Got me some more Guardsmen, a Command Squad, and a Valkyrie! Merry Empsmas, everyone!

you do not want to use nail polish, acetone free or not, you'll melt the plastic. Just paint it black and layer the green over.

I love that model, suitibly disgusting paint job too, he's really impressive.
The only minor thing I'd change is the teeth are a bit too pristine and nice compared to the rest of the model, I think they'd look nicer the same dull bone colour as the nails

Do not dare change it. It looks awesome and I demand you tell me how do do it. I suggest you make one of the banner panels wood too

I made sure to make the teeth as white as possible. I really wanted that big shit eating grin to stand from the rest of the model. I've been trying to thinking up a suitable name for him based around his smile.

I'll probably paint the the tuck like teeth of the new GUO in a yellowy bone colour

Either this big guy.

Or this fella.

Smol klaw

I really like this bone, whats your secret?

This poor soon-to-be-dead bastard right here.

wait a minute, that face-

> rhinox hide basecoat
> medium brown lines
> go over some of those lines with a very pale brown like zandri dust
> light wash of agrax all over, and deeper on the grooves.

Okay I have some kind of delema:
I have a vampire count army fairly finished. Peinting scheme:
-Black and Red (classic)

I now have 3 armies on the to do pile. A Highelf army, a Dwarf army, and an Empire army.

I wanted to paint my warf army blue and beige-white. My empire army as blue yellow.
But now how to paint my highelf army?
The classic would be also blue and white but that would be the same as my dwarf. What do?

I could paint the HE lilac and white ...or red and white. But That wouldn't be the classic image of the HE 5th edition armybook. It was the very first warhammer book I bought. So It has a very special place in my heart.

Soooo ...should I change the dwarf colour scheme. Could do. But into what? Beige red? That would be something different. So yeah. I would need some ideas.

Black primer, zandri dust, thick layers of Agrax all over, cover in a generous amount of Ushabti Bone everywhere but on the deepest recesses or in places you want to keep brown like the beak, apply washes of sephia on the remaining recesses (this last part is crucial). Put in layers of 50/50 screaming skull and ushabti or use them as highlights, it all depends how dirty/polished you want your skull to be. Use the Sephia wash to blend the darker Agrax with the lighter parts of the bone.
For extra clean skulls, add a thin layer of screaming skull.