EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
how powerful is your meta and do you try to make it more or less powerful over time?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/melvin-and-vorthos-2007-05-07-0
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-09-16-wildborn/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rith-tokens-fatties/
cubetutor.com/viewcube/29943
cubetutor.com/viewcube/53995
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for best dragon

Just made Narset. What do now

>how powerful is your meta and do you try to make it more or less powerful over time?

Not very powerful, we've agreed to no infinite combos/turns, no infect (because none of us played mtg when it was a thing)
Only 1 guy in our group runs fetches and tutors, and he's of course blueish player so we take him out before he does his blueish shit.

seconded, top of the food chain

I tried to keep it pretty low since one guy still plays precons, but the third guy made a deck that likes to reanimate Iona or some other stupid shit on turn two. I've added graveyard hate to try and slow him down.

It used to be strong, but now its dead. It's clear that people would be tired of playing the tutor game until someone combos and we all shuffle our decks again, but they didn't listen to me. I managed to get one guy back to playing some casual games, but the rest are still fed up with it.

We only have 1 try-hard with hardcore Selvala deck with 10 minute turns and a few infinite combos in every one of his decks. He's gotten a bit tuned toned over the past 6 months. Most of hus have budget decks and no fast mana or duals etc.

>Thread Question
Our main FNM crowd is a bunch of ~40yo pro-wannabes (who shun casul formats) and people of 15-27 (who play EDH) try to imitate them, so they use a lot of shit they really can't afford, netdeck and never play suboptimal. We have a long way to go

>how powerful is your meta and do you try to make it more or less powerful over time?
i have no friends who play magic near me anymore so not very ;__;

I played my Hidetsugu deck against my friends krenko deck when we were bored and couldn't get a full group together

I ended up winning twice of the 5 games we played

2 derevis, a meren, and an atraxa all playing stax seeing who can lock who first

pure fucking pain

Your problem is worse than mine , but I know how you feel. Just sitting around looking up the new spoilers with no one to talk to about it.

I would hate if my group devolved into this. That's just horrible.

Not him, but I'm here thinking about all the fun decks I could build, but then I remember I have no one to play with anymore. I haven't played a match of commander in almost a year now, and I'm still here, ordering some cards every now and then.

>thread question
I make decks for my group so I control our meta. It's a low 75% with durdling and winmore, featuring fun goofy cards but stable mana bases, one boardwipe per deck, few counters or tutors, and every card being part of the deck's story or theme. Usual win is around turn 15 to 20.

Iktf user. I just built a new deck and it feels like such a waste since I can't even use it. I don't even really have people to play modern or legacy with, its just nothing but standard near me and even thats pretty dead

Do you guys know of any resources for finding play groups? I've been thinking of doing that since my last magic friend moved away and my lgs i used to go to closed down due to no business

There’s one guy who is “Oh, it’s turn 4, time for me to combo out and win!” and he’s an ass. Nobody else relies on combos like that, but there are some pretty skillful players with good but fair decks.

I’m in the process of collecting cards for a Gitrog Combo deck, but that’s just for something when the ass is being an ass.

I mean the only one I know of is just searching for stores near you and calling them. If there's no store near you you're just fucked

I don't how it is near you, but I just started visiting other lgs at different days to see what kind of people frequented it, I eventually found a fun playgroup to play with, it's not the best day for me, and also not the closest lgs, but it's much better than nothing.

Facebook? At least my town has a few magic groups that are supposed to be for coordinating playgroups and stuff like that. Also we have forums here in Finland for magic. And how about just asking around reddit or something?

TQ: playgroup of four and we all go hard as we can. Im a little bit more aware that were not playing on the most comp level but it's fun. Top commanders are breya,Niv mizzet,daxos, and I'm the cancer sultai player. (Tasigur,aatraxa) We talked about limiting for infinite turns and no sol rings but we also feel like it would make us little bitches and were all highly competitive. P.s. fuck static orb. You play that shit you're catching these REEEEEEs

It's semi-competitive but we don't really have anyone playing real comp decks - like, the most competitive decks in our meta are my Kruphix control deck, a Riku combo deck, and a Karlov aggro deck.
We don't really try to alter the power level of the meta much just because it's at a place were everyone can play and compete reasonably well even with $20 of tuning to a pre-con.

It's time to talk lands. Who's the most fun land commander in your opinion? I'm looking into making one, but I'm not sure who to go with. I'm looking at Angry Omnath and Titania currently. My problem is that Kool-Aid Man is a little popular and I don't like mirror matches and Titania would probably require an expensive land base because she wants all of the fetches.

Karametra landfall is the patrician lands-matter deck.

angry borb is the only real answer

Sek'Kuar because you can do some dumb shit involving animating lands and Bitter Ordeal.

how good is the skullman?
looks like fun but i dont own doubling season

All fun and games until you play a -1 counter deck

It makes for pretty decent voltron, but people see him coming from a mile away. Not that it matters because he's still a giant walking skeltal intent on smashing face.

Not him, but I never considered that. Playing him against Hapatra or The Scorpion God sounds awful.

Don't you mean
>playing The Scorpion God sounds awful

At some point you just have to look at someone and ask yourself "do I want to crush a mans dreams"

The answer is yes. Yes you do.

>tfw there's a hapatra at our table
it's already unfun as is, i can see it's not any better vs a +1/+1.dec

At least I'm not playing stax. most of the time

>finally realize my player archetype after 1 year of EDH

it turns out i'm a timmy-melvin

i kind of thought i was a spike because i loved to optimize and create synergies in my deck, but i actually just like these combinations and synergies for their own sake, so i'm a melvin instead of a spike

but more importantly i'm a timmy because i love making the table cower in fear of my big fatties

Hehe...

what's a melvin?

i just learned about it myself like a day ago

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/melvin-and-vorthos-2007-05-07-0

>Melvin enjoys comprehending the underlying structure. Melvin wants to understand how something is put together and then admire the craftsmanship of the interdependencies. This means that Melvin is much more comfortable dealing with subjective facts than objective feelings.
>When Melvin evaluates something, once again like a Magic card, he tends to break things down into its components and then studies each part. He intellectually dissects whatever it is he is analyzing. Why does he do this? Because how something works is very important to Melvin. He enjoys understanding the rules that govern its creation. For that matter, unlike Vorthos, Melvin is a fan of rules. Rules create structure and allow things to make sense. Cards that excite Melvin are ones where he can admire the intricacy of the design.

describes me to a T

Slamming fatties is the most pure form of joy. Excellent taste user.

i like gitrog a lot

Second for Gitrog. It's the most interesting lands matter deck I've ever seen.

I decided to try and build Gitrog into a weird mix of fog, creature hate/stax, and combo. I've found mixed results

>love green
>enjoy landfall
>gitrog was the first mythic i opened (started in Oath of the Gatewatch)
>dont own any fetches
>dont own crucible

tfw life is pain

You can play Gitrog without those if your playgroup isn't absolutely cutthroat. He's pure gas even if you run shit like Evolving Wilds

I like Mina and Denn for a Landfall Commander. You get the extra land per turn into the Command Zone, plus the ability to return lands to your hand and drop them again can really help churn through your deck or get those triggers, not to mention the ability to save some lands in case of a Land Wipe.

I can second this if you're going for a pure landfall spam deck. They're not the strongest Gruul general by any stretch but they definitely do what they're supposed to

We have a super Spike with an unlimited budget
We have a Johnny who tries to keep Spike under control
We have a guy who makes really really good budget Decks but refuses to spend more than a dollar on a card so his decks suffer
Then we have two timmies who don't know their head from their asshole and who sometimes steal a win from us when we are trying to deal with mld zergo or doomsday zur

It's ok it was hard on me too when I realized I was a faggot it gets easier

>No crucible
There's one in standard get you some

Funny thing is that most gitrog lists actually use ramunap excavator over crucible nowadays because it's easier to find due to creature tutors and what-have-you

I've been considering them too, especially since they seem a bit more under the radar than Gitrog or Angry Omnath who just tend to explode.

feelings on proxies? i've decided to stop buying cards

Don't. All those proxy threads are literally just part of the /pol/ propaganda arm of the culture war.

How does it feel being so wrong and pleb?

Just print black and white cutouts on office paper and no one will care.

Obviously because pol would support communists and Chinamen instead of the true free capitalism who despise the proletariat and the consumer

They hate wizards because they're SJW's, and it's probably just one guy.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-09-16-wildborn/

Here’s my Mina and Denn. Not amazing, but it gets the job done, and I rarely have have a game I don’t atleast enjoy.

Use whatever, whether it'd be printing out and pasting them on chaff, or using the stuff from other printers if you want a more clean looking feel.

Oi, maybe you shits can help out here.

Looking for some suggestions on replacements/side decks for my token deck: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rith-tokens-fatties/

Mainly looking for creature support to replace things like Godsire, fun to get out but he becomes a target pretty quickly. Originally had Thunderfoot in place of him but noticed in my playgroup that usually has 6+ people at the table that becoming that huge of a threat and being left naked after a big swing never ends well, and my playstyle usually centers around the long-game anyway.

How do you go from day to day with that kind of paranoia?

I am not going to buy proxies, that would defeat the purpose.

i was just curious if people would actually care if i showed up with all proxied decks

If it's a casual game they shouldn't give a shit unless you're trying to go up to an unnecessary amount of power.
You can ask them beforehand if you want.

Go hard on fog and combo, It's a blast

I printer proxy fetches, alpha-revised duals, and staples like Force of Will.

Think again sport

Only asking because i don't know where else to ask. What is the best way to begin a cube? Singleton or some sort of graduated scale by rarity?

>I am not going to buy proxies, that would defeat the purpose.
this needs to be repeated many many times

i personally don't mind proxies within reason. if somebody has thousands of dollars in proxied cards it's kind of disgusting. if somebody has mostly real cards and a couple proxies that's fine. if somebody has proxied duplicates of cards that they already own in other decks, that is very fine. if somebody has proxied versions of cards they are planning on eventually trading for/buying then that is 100% fine. if you want to try out an expensive card before buying it that is totally fine.

buy for god sakes make the proxies look decent. if you just write "ice cauldron" on a basic land that is not sufficient. it is not my job to look up the oracle text for your cards to understand what they do. the proxy should be clear and include all relevant information.

i tried scorp against a friend with my trostani cat lady deck. SOMEHOW pulled out solemdy when i was going to play black sun zenith to reload my hand. i got too greedy.

Virgin commander player
>1000 dollar deck
>Never builds his own list
>Fun derived from making people watch him play magic
>Casts doomsday

Chad edh player
>Understands the spirit of the format
>Slams eldrazi
>Always brews his own list
>Has friends

Sub question for the thread because I had this little wet dream on the uber ride home.
What would be your dream legendary? If wizards would let you design one commander for whatever set and whatever reason what would you make.
Mine would be R/G, probably 4 drop that goes "all creatures your opponents control have wither, and, whenever a -1/-1 counter would be placed on a creature place a +1/+1 counter on it instead."

It sounds like the perfect kind of shenanigans commander was made for, I wish it was real.

>solemdy
Either you're 12 or you're brain damaged. Which is it?

dubs say it all

holy shit gitrog is confusing i may have made a mistake building him

Best cards to protect a commander without shroud? (Hexproof, indestructible, etc)

im drunk, sir, and not a grammer nazi

A jund commander with a reanimation effect or a mono black demon legend that buffed other demons

Gift of immortality or Totem armors

a U/R artificer that does something with artifacts and isn't a spellslinger or looter

Oh I got this:

>2UB
Whenever an opponent puts a card into play, if that card wasn't cast, put it under play under your control.

Whenever a player counters a spell or ability, counter the counter instead.

I like you.

BASED

>1st for most overrated dragon

stop being a metacuck, play something that wasnt printed in a precon

Probably something along the lines of
3BR
"Whenever a player taps a land for Mana, you may put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. Whenever a creature you control dies, if it had no counters on it, you may put it onto the bottom of your library instead of into your graveyard."
1/3

So a good maybe combo effect but a bad body, which rakdos doesn't really have I think. My dream commander already exists in Xenagod though.

>yfw every card ever is better with doubling season
put a blade of selves on this guy
bonus lulz sundial of the infinite your end of turn stack

>Lodestone in Derevi y/n
Also Winter orb and Horoki are the main lock pieces right?
What other cards are good with Derevi?
Never really played blue greenn white creature combo

*casts purphoros*
*summons prossh*
heh... nothing personnel kid....

Blade of Selves does not work, because the tokens will not be declared as attacks, they come into play tapped and attacking.

as someone with two well managed cubes, figure out your budget. unless youve managed a cube before id start with a 360 pauper/peasant cube or 360 unpowered if you have money (and by money i mean a lot). themed cubes are very difficult to build
if you want to ask more ill be lurking

my 450~ powered (card list is up to date but card ownership isnt)
cubetutor.com/viewcube/29943

360 pauper (havent updated in a while)
cubetutor.com/viewcube/53995

>5/5 flying
>other demons you control get +3/+3
>at the beginning of your combat phase target opponent gains 3 life for each demon you control.

no foodchain/10

low effort

>posting custom cards outside of the ccg
>asking people to post custom cards outside of the ccg

really man

Something that works like Malefic Yggdrasil from Force of Will, though it would have to have Eminence abilities.

A R/G legendary with Greater Good stapled to its body.

Dralnu, but Grixis. Literally all I want.

Jelevafags and Kessfags need not apply.

>Thread Question
When my meta meets, we're not all that powerful. Our power curve really depends on what myself or my brother have bought recently, which also usually isn't much.

Champion's Helm
Darksteel Plate
Lightning Greaves
Swfitfoot Boots
Whispersilk Cloak