"You're not allowed to do that..."

>"You're not allowed to do that..."
>THE HOGFATHER CAN. THE HOGFATHER GIVES PRESENTS. THERE'S NO BETTER PRESENT THAN A FUTURE.

Other urls found in this thread:

sjgames.com/gurps/books/Discworld/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hello Hogfather. I'd very much like a sword, please.

>tfw re-reading Terry Pratchett's books
>Hit Unseen Academicals and realize this is where Terry started to decline
Fug

>dude Santa Claus but le spoopy skeleton xD
Name a more Reddit series than Discworld.

Reddi/tg/ needs to leave. You're not impressing anyone

Terry is overratted as fuck.

He was at best Lem tier writter, but without the high concepts to carry the writting.

Why people jerk off to it I don’t know.

It really does hurt
His last great discworld novel was 'going postal'

This is the new status of Veeky Forums.

Veeky Forums has fallen.

I am going to punch you.

Should we ever meet anywhere, I will instinctively punch you right in the face.

It's 14 year old redditors and newfags who think that being contrarian and shitting on things generally considered good or liked because they think that makes them le ebin meme tricksters

hello soyboy

Is this series actually good? It keeps getting memed but I tried the Color of Magic and found it totally uninteresting. Plus the fandom around it basically demands you enjoy it which is really offputting.

t. avid soy consumer

but user, Veeky Forums is reddit...

It's good. It's not perfect by any measure but I personally find it charming. I can definitely understand being bothered by the rabidly enthusiastic fanbase but I'd hope that most people wouldn't care about you not finding your cup of tea so long as you're not a shithead about it.

>implying people who take Brain Force are soyboys

I liked it a lot. Particularly the Tiffany Aching series, which focuses in on witches, and thus featured a lot of characters being fairly clever with relatively weak magic compared to most of the other discworld wizards.

The Ankh-Morpork guards series was also pretty good, although my school library didn't have all of them when I was going through that one.

But it's fine to dislike it. Just don't shit up threads by trying to link it to Reddit, bogeyman or not.

they are perfect. you have to read all the books in order and like every single one. any other opinion is trash. no one is allowed to make up their own mind and decide what they do or do not like.
this is what you want me to say, right?

Who do you like? Don't come here with bitchin if you can't offer up anything better

For what it's worth, Color of Magic and the Light Fantastic were the earliest, most hamfisted parodies of typical fantasy. They get better with later novels.

Just when they get better is a matter of opinion. For example, I would probably say that the Discworld as its fans know & love it probably started coming together with Wyrd Sisters or Mort.

His early books suffer from his inexperience. Try starting with Reaper Man or Small Gods.

Alright, but only for you user.

Small Gods is the earliest in the timeline being set hundreds of years before the others.

Small Gods is easily my favourite book of them all, probably because I'm a christian. I've reread it five times or so.

It is not bad for what it is, but it is pretty formulaic.

Funny ridiculous sitiuations with beloved funny characters, more funny ridiculous situations to cover for mediocre writting talent, drop a normie tier redpill such as "first you have to belive small lied to accept the big ones" and end.

My thirteen years old self was impressed, my thirty years old self can see through it. It’s quite a genius marketing formula and it made him rich and famous.

Terry Pratchet should be remembered as Steve Jobs of fantasy literature not as a Mark Twain of it.

I thought Small Gods was such a snore that it's what made me drop Prachett books after having read
>The Colour of Magic
>The Light Fantastic
>Equal Rites
>Mort
>Guards! Guards!
>Reaper Man
>Soul Music

But it's all a matter of opinion, it just didn't click with me. I liked the premise to start with but somewhere around the bit in the desert I felt like it ran out of steam and I wasn't really invested

user is right to suggest you give Pratchett another try. Some of his work is better than others. The man was prolific.

Personally I would strongly recommend starting with Hogfather itself. It can be read on its own and is one of his greatest works. Yes some of his stories are bad. Hogfather is high art though, and a story that will live forever. I really can't emphasize my love of this book enough. Thank you for writing Hogfather, Mr. Pratchett. RIP.

I've got a lot of fondness for the City Watch books, though a big part of that may be due to them being something of an escape for me when I was kid. Discworld as a whole is a neat exercise in world-building that had a lot more room left to cover.

eat shit cunt

A pity we still don't have mods that good

Color of magic is easily my least favorite of the series and is also a bit off-tone. I feel he starts hitting his stride with Mort.

I read most of them as a teenager, and enjoyed them more then than when I re-read later. They're good if you like satire and fantasy, but they're not perfect.

I'd say Mort then Hogfather. Otherwise, you don't get the character of Death, or the reason Susan is important.

You should really read Soul Music before Hogfather, because that's where Susan was first introduced, and it explains her... complex... relationship with Grandfather Death..

>discworld fans are retarded polniggers
Huh...what a surprise...

That would imply that /pol/ has a shred of creativity.

I curse you. I curse your family. I curse your goat.

>Why people jerk off to it I don’t know.
Of course you don't, you probably think GRR Martin is a great writer.

fuck you, son

You tryn'a say Tiffany Aching isn't fuckable?

But where are the fucking traditional games?

sjgames.com/gurps/books/Discworld/
sadly that's the only Discworld game out there

>Lem
>without high concepts
If hatred could kill you would be already dead, faggot

Based skeleclaus.

>lol reddit what a bunch of fags hah right guys?
>please clap

ehh I was just recommending the best intro book. I think either Mort or Guards, Guards are the best options. But you are right, I had forgotten how much about Susan is established in Soul Music

I always new I loved Nixon for a reason.

>animu fagoos trying to talk down to the disc
lmao

Cuck

The whole thing is a tg setting
The luggage was an in game device jus players used
The setting is his high magic fantasy world, showing the reasons for stagnation and advancement.
Amazing man, glad I met him, albeit briefly at a signing.

The luggage was a highly literal (players have to give exact and specific instructions) device the players had to protect, and transport their extra goods.

Personal favourites are the guards series, but not the last one. Sadly his writing suffered a lot due to his illness.
I'm glad no one is going to muck up his legacy with expanding the world or spin offs or anything. It would be a disservice.

Didn't his daughter do the Overlord series? It seems like she got some good writing genes from him; Overlord was pretty good.

This.

I never grew up with Terry. I never read Terry. I don't see a reason to ever read Terry now that I'm older. His books are dry British humor and "random" with shlocky whatever.

If you've never read his work then how can you pass any judgement that matters? If you haven't read it then you just have a useless, uninformed opinion.

I'm going to take a moment to address user rather than harangue him with the rest of the crowd, so that he or others can learn from this tragedy.

The DIFFERENCE between something being "Reddit" and the works of Sir Terry Pratchett is in depth. Pratchett worked with and conveyed many deep and mature themes, but in a whimsical and child-like way. This was meant to both tickle funny at the conventions of the genre, and to raise other questions about what we value. Yes, Death speaks in all caps and is dressed as Santa, how silly. But don't miss that he's also saying some profound, sometimes nihilistic shit. Death reminds us that justice is a human made illusion, suffering is a learning experience, and that everyone dies - no exceptions.

Something that is 'Reddit' on the other hand lacks this underlying depth, it simply exists to be briefly pleasant and whimsical then to pass on.

Now you may argue that this whole post is "Reddit" since i'm arguing seriously about something in and of itself very silly, and self aggrandizing with my "folksly alt wisdom" - another very Reddit thing to do. This may not be inaccurate, especially since Veeky Forums exists to tear down, critique, and profane and the things it will not are very few and far between. But Terry Pratchett deserves an articulated response, and in the spirit of the man himself: Lighten up user, We're all going to die eventually no sense being miserable all the time

Do people on Veeky Forums even give a shit about reddit? Other, more populous boards I understand raging over the stupidest things, but I have a hard time fathoming why /tg would care.

Think about what attracts new blood; are we handed the wheat or the chaff?

Under the old regime this would be a bannable offense.

Veeky Forums is a good place to filter out the worst of the newfags, because it's arcane enough that normies don't get it without being prestigious enough to attract showboaters. Which means usually if people come here they actually like ttrpgs and want to talk about them.

Too simple and you get /b/, too much "prestige" associated with being an expert in the field and you get Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums, too much of both and you get /pol/. See the connection?

This is the most reactionary anti-randumb statement I have ever seen, it almost makes a loop and comes off as randumb itself

>dude Im so jaded xD, pass the bleach

Hogfather I'd argue, was his greatest work. Death at his finest, I'd say.

I like how damn old some of the posters on the wall are. The newest is from Making Money, but we have some THUD!, Going Postal, Night Watch and Jingo. Can't read enough of the one titled ...Gunilla Mountain and co. to place it though. Nice attention to detail.

Agreed. Though the thread consensus of Mort -> Soul Music -> Hogfather as a trilogy for new readers seems smart. Hogfather alone if you can only convince them to read one.

And fucking hell, even watered down Mr Teatime in the movie was as unsettling as Ledgers Joker to me.

The entire concept of Seriously, don't read this unless you've read Hogfather already.assassinating an ancient god by using primordial control magic through the foci of children's teeth to end belief in the god thoughtform is a high fantasy concept as amazing, creative, and profound as you will ever read.

Small Gods has got to be my favorite book of all time. I've recommended it as a first for a few friends that ended up loving every bit of it.

>discworld thread

Guess it's time to ask this again.

Top 5 discworld books?
>Hard mode: No Small Gods nor Night Watch

Reaper man > the second tiffany book > Mort > Sorcery > Soul music

Absolutely fucking proof positive of this being his best. Thats goddamn ingenius.

Feet of Clay > Making Money > Mort > Men-at-Arms > THUD!

sue me I love the City Watch. And hard mode sucks. I love the assassination scene in Night Watch.

Honestly though, that was the absolute best. Of all his characters even Vimes and Death and Susan, Moist was his absolute best.

That entire book is just perfect. It's Pratchett distilled, his best success at an original character, doing one of the more challenging character archetypes of a virtuous conman with such sparkle and charm that you let the author rob you blind while telling you what he's doing, and then you laugh at being tricked. All while delivering some of the most fantastic one-liners. I feel like every one of Pratchett's characters was leading towards this one and he's the summary of the series itself, a golden conman selling a fantasy and telling you how the most impossible things, like four elephants and a giant turtles, could work, and in such a way that you want to believe.

If that book is where it ended that would be the perfect place.

>to this day still couldn't bring myself to read Shepherd's Crown
>because reading it kind of signifies the end of the series

No love for Moving Pictures or witches?

Moving Pictures is Dibbler at his best

truth

I feel like Moving Pictures and The Truth were both like practice for Going Postal.

I just miss him.

The discworld series felt like it didn't end, it just faded out. And as weird as it is it felt like it faded to white to me. Like all the edges softened, all the grit and grime faded, and all the obviously ghost written paragraphs were like fluffy clouds around which everything was dissolving. Everything then ended too storybook and distant.

It's like the whole series is about having a fantasy world being satirized but in a way that is paying homage and giving to the genre, all while still giving you that wink like there's a joke that you're in on that the characters aren't.

But then the ending books are like sinking into the fantasy, the joke being over, the sly wink it gone, it's all the satire gone so only the fantasy is left.

It's like if you were a kid and your grandpa would read you a story all the time, and he would embellish it, do voices, add his own lines and jokes in between to make you laugh. Then he died. Now you read those kids books and they feel so much more plain and simple like magic objects after the magic is dried up. You can still remember the voices and the jokes but they're just distant.

That is what reading Shepherd's Crown is like. The books before it feel like that in places, but not all the way through.

Are the movies good?

I lose my shit every time I see this. Is this seriously what it’s from?

I personally like the Hogfather movie. The actor that played Teatime did a good job and I got a hard on for the girl that played Susan. It's good for a watch,but probably only if you've read the books

Yep. Same book as the quote in the OP.

By standards of british tv movies, they're alright. Dr. Who levels of bad makeup and special effects in some areas while decent special effects in other areas, but made up for be solid acting and humor.

Of them all only two seemed worth it to me. Hogfather holds up far better than the rest. Worth it this time of year especially.

Going Postal should have been more true to the books and the costumes for the golems were just unbearably bad, but they made the clacks looks great so there's that.

I wish this artist had done more than two pictures, but I never got who that guy on the roof was supposed to be.

The way they convey how fast Teatime can move in Hogfather is such a simple effect but its so good.

Weird. I have the polar opposite opinion for nearly exactly the same reasons.

I never grew up with Terry. I never read Terry. I see every reason to read Terry now that I'm older. His books are charming British humor and "fun" with thoughtfulness and heart.

If I were in a better place with my life, I would be reading him right now.

retard opinion

Read a book nigger.

This thread convinced me to read Pratchett. Which Discworld book should I start at? Chronologically or what?

Well said my brother of African decent, here's a (you)

As others have said, The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic aren't his best works.

Mort or Guards Guards would probably be my recommendations, as they start the Death and Watch sub-series, respectively, though Small Gods is a very good standalone.

Would it be frowned upon to just start reading the Watch and Death series then and skip over the rest? I usually feel bad skipping around an authors publication history like that.

nah its fine. Those are the better series, though if the City Watch grabs you I recommend the Moist Von Lipwig books. They continue the story of Ankh-Morpork, and parody certain public institutions wonderfully.