Beastfolk General Thread

Have you ever replaced one or more of the "classic" D&D races with beastfolk? And what beastfolk best work for filling "classic" race niches?

For example; I can see (4e) Minotaurs or Gnolls replacing Half-Orcs, Ratfolk or Kobolds replacing Gnomes as the Magician/Artificer race, and Rabbitfolk replacing Halflings as the... whatever the hell halflings are.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyena
bato.to/reader#4c09415c8a49c7dc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Honest questions; do Phanatons (raccoon/monkey/flying squirrel people) count as beastfolk? And what role could you give them in your setting?

No, because then I'd be going from a regular furry to a full blown furfag.

Gnomes are easily replacible with non-shitty kobolds.
They're small, cunning tinkerers.
Just replace gnomish with draconic.

I also replaced a beastfolk race with ANOTHER beastfolk race.
Tortles are now Pangolin folk.

Why? You're taking a boring demihuman race and making them a bit more interesting.

>Elves: Plantfolk. High elves are flowery, wood elves are more tree like, dark elves are blighted.
>Dwarves: Goron ripoff.
>Gnome: Kobolds
>Halfling: Mousefolk
>Orc: P'orc / Minotaur

>filling the same exact stereotype, just changing how they look
>more interesting

Why would you "replace" races? Just build a setting with the races you want. You are not bound to fill some kind of D&D roster.

Having kobolds and gnomes are fun, getting rid of gnomes and replacing them with kobolds is stupid. You're removing things from the game and forcing players to play what you want to play, not what they want to play.

I might be a furry, but unlike most I have standards.

Also getting rid of the kobold vs. gnome rivalry is also stupid

So a thought that's been on my mind for a while.

I hate the idea of several different donut steel races that are all basically the same thing except x or whatever.

What I'm getting as is, I know Ghnolls are typically and will almost always be associated with hyenas but what if we took a page from Monster Musume where there are different subtypes of gnolls based on regions?

You have more wolf like Gnolls in the north while you have hyena and wild dog gnolls in the south.

Penguin and flightless harpies along with the regular ones that can fly

Monkey people who go from silverbacks to whatever exists in India and Asia proper.

Because the given statblocks are guaranteed to be more balanced than homebrew.

If you can organize it or draw it like the Monster Musume Guy does, it should work fine

There have been some depictions of gnolls as pretty wolflike. I mean, have you seen the gnoll art in the 3e Monster Manual 4?

As much as I personally like Monster Musume that's not the picture I have in my head of what I meant. The idea was all I wanted from it

Let me introduce you to my latest character. I basically wanted to play a opossum. I think I'll run him in Strike.

Fuckstick Smangalang Trashboi of Clan Trashson, Grand Homonculus of the Dread Gazebo (Demigogue of Entropy)
Fuckstick Smangalang Trashboi of Clan Trashson, Grand Homonculus of the Dread Gazebo is what many would call "an agent of chaos", however it would probably be more appropriate to use the words "demigogue", and "entropy".

Trashboi is a Passums; a race of opossums elevated by the magic of Fey Courts. Trashboi himself is a high priest and brutal holy warrior of the Dread Gazebo, celestial horror and demigod taking the form of a gigantic mimic in the shape of a gazebo. Trashboi brings it wealth and tresure, and tosses it to the gazebo's center, where it attracts adventurer prey. The mighty deceiver is only actually barely aware of Trashboi and his congregation, but grants them magical powers of subterfuge none the less. Trashboi really only uses the demigod as a patron because it has no real rules for him to follow, and let's him do whatever he wants, and his position of social power puts him beyond reproach in most situations, granting him leeway in his day to day life as his destructive lifestyle inconveniences others.

Gnomes don't fit into my setting.

This guy gets it.

I too am a furry that knows nobody in my group shouold have to deal with my shit, so I'll keep quiet about it.

Birdfolk best folk.

>no mention of shark tits

>Not mouse
I ran a Mousefolk S&B fighter in my last 5e game, as a refluffed halfling.

Mouseguard coming through, bitches.

I suppose they would, since they certainly don't look like ordinary humanoids. As for what role they'd play in any setting of mine, I honestly don't know what role they play in the setting they come from, so I'm pretty much at a loss.

What was their deal, user? What were they all about?

Essentially, the GM didn't like halfling alongsidd gnomes, and made them a mousefolk race instead.

Brave small creatures, smaller than Gnomes (still just small) but with a mostly underground society. They rither lived in actual caverns, sewers or in hollowed hills, and were known to have an almost unbreakable spirit. They might run, if they know defeat is inevitable, but they will rather fight to the death rather than submit.

GM had a rather small amount of them on the world map, primarily because they used to share lands with the giants, and when they went to war against each other, they fought for 60 years before finally being kicked out of their former lands.

It was pretty neat, so I instantly rolled one. It seemed like a cool concept for an adventurer who would willingly brave dangerous tombs with traps and undeads.

I don't understand the point in gnomes or halflings personally.

Caw

Gnomes and half-orcs aren’t classic

Halflings are small, plump little rural Englishmen who are so stupefyingly unsuited to adventures that their ability to survive such things and ultimately come off the better for it is genuinely remarkable.

Well, some people got very upset when 4e dropped half-orcs from core in favor of dragonborn as the new "brute" race.

And there was all that outrage over the missing gnomes in favor of tieflings, too.

People were upset about Gnomes?

4e was an exciting time, people were upset about all manner of things. Like Vampire being a class.

>Having kobolds and gnomes are fun, getting rid of gnomes and replacing them with kobolds is stupid.

No its not, Id rather have nothing than having gnomes, they have literally no reason for existing they are just a more annoying breed of halflings, Id rather write them off as a subrace for them

>Also getting rid of the kobold vs. gnome rivalry is also stupid

Kobolds deserve a better opponent, just replace that rivalry with some better written wee bastards like the Derro

>Frogposting
>On Veeky Forums
I know it's mini-summer due to Christmas break right now, but come the fuck on!

What's wrong with frogmen, user?

>Have you ever replaced one or more of the "classic" D&D races with beastfolk?
Yes.

Me neither, I don't even know if they've got that much lore behind them.
It's easy to excuse Elves as being human like, since they come from a parallel earth.
Dwarves are a little harder to excuse, but they're a staple of fantasy.
But Gnomes and Halflings? They've got barely any history or culture to them at all besides Gnomes being Smart and Halflings being there to shout out tolkien.

Fun fact; gnomes didn't exist at all until Paracelsus made them up as part of his theory on alchemy, whilst halflings (unless you want to retroactively claim brownies, leprechauns, etc as their ancestors) are literally just Tolkien rip-offs.

I like me some Gnolls.

Wish they were in Sci-Fi more.

How would you use them in sci-fi?

This t b h

What do you mean 'use them'? Like what role they play?

maybe as a companion race created by humans. The senses and teamwork of a dog with the self-control and intelligence of a human.

Gnolls are feline though.

Play up their nature as scavengers. They're career tech scrappers.

Large Spotted Hyenas hunt their own food 95% of the time though.

I fucking love gnomes so i'll give you a run down.

Gnomes have origins in Paracelsus' earth elemental. They were able to swim through the earth like water. Being described as two-spans high, they were conflated with other small earth creatures of other folklore, like dwarves. Later through fairytales they were associated with things like goblins and domestic spirits.

Gnomes have since gone through many iterations, the most commonly known in current day being the garden gnome whose current image was largely inspired by Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Gygax's gnomes were originally identical to dwarves except for where they lived. Then they later became statistically different as a design space between the magical elves and the non-magical dwarves.

The current concept of tinker gnomes which came about in Dragonlance but was popularized by the Warcraft franchise, harkens back in a way to the gnome as house spirit, being a tinkering and building creature.

They're a sort of mythological mongrel. In the current iteration of D&D e, they're an uncommon species that's basically grandfathered into the game, and not all game worlds have them. I actually like using them, more than I like using dwarves.

Suppose, each to their own.
I do with Halflings, Gnomes and Tieflings were in their own books though desu.

I've got a setting that uses tinker gnomes in lieu of dwarves and forest & rock gnomes in place of elves. Mind you, this setting also has an empire of jackalfolk necromancer-priests with a rebellious underclass of psionic gnolls, Midwestern settler-themed rabbitfolk in lieu of halflings, and Mad Max scavenger-punk ratfolk who're good guys fighting against the kaiserreich dieselpunk hobgoblins of the hordelands.

Hyenas are canids man

What’s your opinion on the 4e version, which I think is actually one of the better versions of them

No, they're felines that look like canids.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyena

Feliforms, but not cats. Very early split. After the caniform/feliform split, the hyaenidae split early on.

Better than wolves at hunting, but worse than the ridiculous Painted dogs, who have a kill rate of 95%. Its lions who are actually the scavengers, as their kill rate is half to a third of a spotted hyenas.

Spotted hyenas are actually freakishly smart for a pack predator too. Having rather large social groups and out performing chimps on the same cooperation puzzles. They also have a large and varied set of vocalizations, each with specific meanings, like the

>the most commonly known in current day being the garden gnome whose current image was largely inspired by Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.
Actually, garden gnomes are a cluster fuck: old roman tradition of placing small Priapus statues in ones garden, "grotesques" garish meter tall statues during the renaissance, german manufacture in early and mid 1800's of small dwarf statues for gardens, imported to Britain and called gnomes, and then a blow up in popularity after Snow White.

In addition they have a rather striking resemblance to old scandinavian folklore of the Tomte/Nisse. Or the Dutch Kabouter, English Hob, Scottish Brownie, Irish Leprechaun (old style, not the green little shits they are now), or German Klabauter/Kobold. Very short people with long beards, pointed conical hats, a penchant for illusion and disappearing, and a love of animals.

Marine Iguana lizardfolk, yes/no?

>vegetarians
>land-based, but fantastic swimmers
>can hold breath for half an hour at a time

I imagine them as a formerly tribal society that quickly adapted to and adopted a sailing niche.

Personally? I agree. Prior to 4e, gnomes were basically "dwarven wizards with a love of pranks" - that's really all the depth to them. And I've read the Complete Book of Gnomes & Halflings, so I would know.

4e was the first edition to really make them feel like something other than just "how do make sure the Fighter/Mage/Thief triad is achievable for all-shortfolk parties?"

I would love to play a Redwall styled campaign where everyone played as a non-carnivore small beastfolk. I'm pretty sure none of my buddies will be into it but I've come up with some basic stats for various creatures, if I ever get my own homebrew off the ground.

So far I've only come up with race-based bonuses for rats/mice, voles, shrews, raccoons, otters, rabbits, badgers, moles, and squirrels. Am I being dangerously furry here? Would you guys play something like this?

I want to play actual Redwall.

Ironclaw is a thing.

Redwall is not furry

>tfw no Redwall TTRPG official or unofficial
>tfw a TTRPG might have been the only interactive Redwall thing Jacques would have approved of

I'm seriously considering using it as the setting. Maybe in a different part of their world so I don't have to explain the lore of the abbey to my friends who haven't read it.
Now THAT'S dangerously furry.

Salamandastron could be a pretty good starting point or campaign hook, since it seems to be under assault from vermin every other book and has the fucking best parts of the series collected in it (hares and badgers)

Nah man, that's not furry, I'd play that.

My planned Redwall game centered on Salamandastron being assaulted by an albatross warlord and his ravening flock of gannets, gulls, and other predatory seabirds.

Be interesting to play an Urban campaign similar in nature to Beastars, with players working in a meat smuggling mafia.

Not small enough.

I want a Hallow Knight game. I want to play as bugs underground in a bug kingdom.

>Am I being dangerously furry here?
This may be denial on my part or something, but the way I see it if a character/race isn't designed with the intention of being sexually attractive (having hair on top of fur for some reason, completely human bodies with defined muscle/human breasts, bedroom eyes, etc.) it's not really furry; so things like Gnolls, feral hunched monsters, or things that pretty much look like an animal standing on two legs don't really count

Only one. I generally replace orcs with ape-men. Also kind of have serpent people fill the sort-of elven niche of "smug remnants of ancient empire"

What is Beastars?

What is Hollow Knight about?

Always thought a bug game that could balance various bugs of wildly different sizes would be neat, so players could be something like a flea while another play could be a mantis that was like twenty times bigger than the flea, and even some super big races like a Hercules beetle

>This may be denial on my part or something
It’s denial as soon as you start trying to rationalize it. There’s nothing inherently wrong with the aesthetics of your beastfolk, it’s all about how you play them.

At it's most basic, it's a metroidvania style game set in Hallownest, a once majestic bug kingdom that through something known as "the plague" as well as the god king of the land, The Pale King, just disappearing become a shell of itself inhabited only by a few sane bugs but mostly mindless husks of the old kingdom, turned into basically instinct driven animals by the plague. Your job in the game is to stop the plague by opening up an ancient prison where the Hollow Knight, an ancient hero, tried to contain the plague before but obviously failed at his task since the plague began to leak out and infect the whole of the kingdom again.

There's a lot more to it than that, but it has a dark souls style approach to lore where you only get small tidbits here and there and have to piece everything together through thorough investigation.

Beastars is a manga that says "What if we took Zootopia and made it for adults".

The result is you get stuff like feral murderers, backstreet blackmarkets selling meat, human trafficking of herbivores and Mafia dedicated to the control of the meat market.

Neat, tell me more and provide a link

How is the game? I saw that /v/ enjoyed it

The manga starts of taking place in a highschool environment, with the main character being a wolf who's trying to cope with being a carnivore and having predatory urges.
Start of the manga's sort of slice of life drama club stuff that gets dark quick.
The manga tried to do a romance subplot that focused on why a carnivore and a herbivore romance would never work, it's thankfully moved away from that in current chapters to focus on more of the darker elements like the mafia and the murders.

Link: bato.to/reader#4c09415c8a49c7dc

It's pretty good, the story, platforming, and combat are all great; there are a handful of bosses (especially closer to the end) that feel like pure DPS races but there's not too many, also getting 100% completion can be a pain but really that's just a nitpick.
If you like metroidvania's and enjoy a decent challenge, you'll like it, if you're a lore nerd on top of that, you'll love it and consider it one of the best indie games of the year.

The controls to the game are solid, the playforming is smoother than super meat boy, the bosses and puzzles are fun and challenging, and the dark souls approach to lore makes the setting feel deeper and pull you in.

and it's just big, so very big. You think you've explore it all and suddenly a new area opens up. You think you're in the deepest darkest corner only for a deeper one to be unlocked, and then another.

Don't forget the free DLC making the game even bigger, apparently the next one will be the biggest yet, and of course the Hornet DLC comes out after that one.
Also, fuck path of pain, that shit ruined Sealed Vessel for me

Can't go wrong with beastmen. They are the superior orc-tier mook in every way. You can play them as noble-savages or evil abominations, whichever suits the theme of your campaign better.

what is exclamation mark after cup size

Got a larger/full version of that one, user?

>non-carnivore
>raccoons, otters, badgers

Rat lady with bombs and matchlocks?
Sign me up

What's the deal with that system? I don't really know much except it involves animal people and the cover looks kinda iffy.

More than the cover looks iffy because they just commissioned a bunch of artists to do art for different pages so none of it is even in the same style.

It's just a system that involves only animal races. It's popular and was practically just made for furries.

Personally I don't like the mechanics.

What do you dislike about them?

>Abbey lore is hard
Not really, at least if you water it the fuck down
>Redwall is a peaceful abbey that keeps on getting attacked because vermin have nothing better to do. The inhabitants worship a mouse guy named Matthias who helped to found the abbey and his sword (that says I am that is for a few books then omitted from the rest) is made of meteor metal and is apparently so powerful merely holding it and being good makes you win automatically, but good luck finding it because it gets lost every single week. Also there will be a lot of FOOOOOODDD.

So you mean Dog Boys?

>a mouse guy named Matthias who helped to found the abbey

Martin.

Matthias was the one who found the sword in the first book. The whole "I am that is" was just a riddle to point out that Matthias was supposed to find it.

yiff in hell freaks

>Replacing races
Ok, unrepentant furfag here, and I just gotta say that Replacing races with beastfolk is a really, really furbait idea, and unless you're doing a setting/session where everyone is some animal person, I would really, really advice against adding more than two beastfolk races, and definitely not replacing a standing race.
Shit gets way too furry, way too quick if you do that.

Not all races in the setting are beastmen, theres stuff like warforged, shardmind, animate oozes,
Plantfolk, illithid.

Just replacing demi-humans with more heteromorphic races.

Dude, normal people can handle beast folk. It's not goint go "get furry" unless there's a furfag at the table.

Man the Greeks weren't furries but they had hella beastmen running around (gorgon, centaur, harpies, minotaur). Frankly as much as the ancients were into man animal hybrids it lends the whole thing a more mythic feel.

Until you come along and make it a sexual thing

andromeda kinda had them but ... yeah, that's about it as far as i mind

Post more Birdfolk

Stats for traditional fantasy races are provided for those adverse to furry races. I actually found the mechanics to be pretty interesting, but that may be due to my near exclusive use of the d20 system in my gaming experience.

Anons? I could use a hand with something: long story short, if I want to include hyenathropy as an option for my gnoll PCs, ala the Ghuuna and Bouda, what's the best way to do it? As a subrace, or as a racial feat?

>Until you come along and make it a sexual thing

I will do this regardless of content.

Which edition? Subrace bonuses and racial feats have differing values based on which rules you're playing with.