/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

We Will Kill You In Your Sleep On Christmas Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mediafire.com/folder/j962ws6h50bqj/Victory_Games
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/e3vt0bydoidhdcc/Osprey - CAM 203 - Trenton & Princeton 1776-77.pdf
mediafire.com/file/f6ya81szzgk8nqe/Osprey - MAA 273 - General Washington's Army (1) 1775-78.pdf
mediafire.com/file/76r5e6xflb7ge09/Osprey - MAA 039 - The British Army in North America 1775-83.pdf
mediafire.com/file/2i859gwsc11nu39/Uniforms of the American Revolution v1 - British and American.pdf
mediafire.com/file/wa07q4j7u5lz87q/Uniforms of the American Revolution v2 - French and Germans.pdf
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=72002.0
brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/China-at-War_c_33.html
brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Chinese-LMG-Team--German-Equipped-4_p_937.html
copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=2&sub=59&page=1
reivercasting.wordpress.com/sino-japanese-war-1937-1945/
copplestonecastings.co.uk/prod.php?prod=64
1stcorps.co.uk/product/korean-war-chinese-squad/
1d4chan.org/wiki/Mercenaries_and_planes
mega.nz/#F!3plASZZZ!aaAEmQ2YisLhv9aVK2NJKg
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15635245/
flyingpiggames.com/t/old-school-tactical
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Wargaming Magazines
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead
The Face Of Battle
General d'Armee (TFL version)
Swordpoint

December the 26th in military history:

1481 – Battle of Westbroek: Holland defeats troops of Utrecht.
1776 – American Revolutionary War: In the Battle of Trenton, the Continental Army attacks and successfully defeats a garrison of Hessian mercenaries.
1793 – Second Battle of Wissembourg: France defeat Austria.
1805 – Austria and France sign the Treaty of Pressburg.
1806 – Battles of Pultusk and Golymin: Russian forces hold French forces under Napoleon.
1825 – Advocates of liberalism in Russia rise up against Czar Nicholas I and are put down in the Decembrist revolt in Saint Petersburg.
1861 – American Civil War: The Trent Affair: Confederate diplomatic envoys James M. Mason and John Slidell are freed by the United States government, thus heading off a possible war between the United States and United Kingdom.
1862 – American Civil War: The Battle of Chickasaw Bayou begins.
1862 – Four nuns serving as volunteer nurses on board USS Red Rover are the first female nurses on a U.S. Navy hospital ship.
1943 – World War II: German warship Scharnhorst is sunk off of Norway's North Cape after a battle against major Royal Navy forces.
1944 – World War II: George S. Patton's Third Army breaks the encirclement of surrounded U.S. forces at Bastogne, Belgium.
1972 – Vietnam War: As part of Operation Linebacker II, 120 American B-52 Stratofortress bombers attacked Hanoi, including 78 launched from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, the largest single combat launch in Strategic Air Command history.
1991 – The Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union meets and formally dissolves the Soviet Union.

It is 241 years since the Battle of Trenton, a small but pivotal battle of the American Revolutionary War. After General George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River north of Trenton the previous night, Washington led the main body of the Continental Army against Hessian soldiers garrisoned at Trenton. After a brief battle, nearly the entire Hessian force was captured, with negligible losses to the Americans. The battle significantly boosted the Continental Army's flagging morale, and inspired re-enlistments.

The Continental Army had previously suffered several defeats in New York and had been forced to retreat through New Jersey to Pennsylvania. Morale in the army was low; to end the year on a positive note, George Washington—Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army—devised a plan to cross the Delaware River on the night of December 25–26 and surround the Hessian garrison.

Because the river was icy and the weather severe, the crossing proved dangerous. Two detachments were unable to cross the river, leaving Washington with only 2,400 men under his command in the assault. The army marched 9 miles (14 km) south to Trenton. The Hessians had lowered their guard, thinking they were safe from the American army, and had no long-distance outposts or patrols. Washington's forces caught them off guard and, after a short but fierce resistance, most of the Hessians surrendered. Almost two thirds of the 1,500-man garrison was captured, and only a few troops escaped across Assunpink Creek.

Despite the battle's small numbers, the American victory inspired rebels in the colonies. With the success of the revolution in doubt a week earlier, the army had seemed on the verge of collapse. The dramatic victory inspired soldiers to serve longer and attracted new recruits to the ranks.

The Hessian forces lost 22 killed in action, 83 wounded, and 896 captured–including the wounded. The Americans suffered only two deaths from bare feet causing frostbite and five wounded from battle, including a near-fatal wound to future president James Monroe. Other losses incurred by the Patriots due to exhaustion, exposure, and illness in the following days may have raised their losses above those of the Hessians. The Patriots also captured approximately 1,000 arms and much-needed ammunition. Last, but not least, was the capture from the Hessians of their entire store of provisions—tons of flour, dried and salted meats, ale and other liquors, but also shoes, boots, clothing and bedding—things that were as much needed by the ragtag Continental forces as weapons and horses.

Washington's force moved across the Delaware back into Pennsylvania, taking their prisoners and captured supplies with them. This battle gave the Continental Congress a new confidence, as it proved colonial forces could defeat regulars. It also increased re-enlistments in the Continental Army forces. By defeating a European army, the colonials reduced the fear which the Hessians had caused earlier that year after the fighting in New York.

An officer in Washington's staff wrote before the battle, "They make a great deal of Christmas in Germany, and no doubt the Hessians will drink a great deal of beer and have a dance to-night. They will be sleepy to-morrow morning." Popular history commonly portrays the Hessians as drunk from Christmas celebrations. However, historian David Hackett Fischer quotes Patriot John Greenwood, who fought in the battle and supervised Hessians afterward, who wrote, "I am certain not a drop of liquor was drunk during the whole night, nor, as I could see, even a piece of bread eaten." Military historian Edward G. Lengel wrote, "The Germans were dazed and tired but there is no truth to the legend claiming that they were helplessly drunk."

Trenton wasn't a big battle in terms of great historical clashes, but the outcome was just as significant as any of them. It's certainly a "must play" of the AWI, and has particular appeal for those wanting to field Hessian troops.

mediafire.com/file/e3vt0bydoidhdcc/Osprey - CAM 203 - Trenton & Princeton 1776-77.pdf
mediafire.com/file/f6ya81szzgk8nqe/Osprey - MAA 273 - General Washington's Army (1) 1775-78.pdf
mediafire.com/file/76r5e6xflb7ge09/Osprey - MAA 039 - The British Army in North America 1775-83.pdf
mediafire.com/file/2i859gwsc11nu39/Uniforms of the American Revolution v1 - British and American.pdf
mediafire.com/file/wa07q4j7u5lz87q/Uniforms of the American Revolution v2 - French and Germans.pdf

First for we have the best OP

What makes heavy cavalry heavy once they stopped wearing armor? The Scots Greys at Waterloo for example - why are they designated as Heavy Cavalry?

Just one question. Anyone know good places to buy or what models to proxy for ww2 nationalist or communist chinese troops for bolt action?

Size of horse, type of sword and, usually, prestige.

Battlefield role. Light cavalry were used for recon, skirmishing, and scouting, while heavy cavalry were intended for head-on combat. During the Napoleonic era Heavy Cavalry tended to be larger men using heavier swords and riding larger horses than their Light Cavalry counterparts, but this wasn't always the case.

Check this thread out:
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=72002.0

brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/China-at-War_c_33.html
brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Chinese-LMG-Team--German-Equipped-4_p_937.html

These could potentially work:
copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=2&sub=59&page=1

These guys have a wide range although the quality isn't that great:
reivercasting.wordpress.com/sino-japanese-war-1937-1945/

copplestone has this mortar with a guy eating his noodles. I really like that one

copplestonecastings.co.uk/prod.php?prod=64

Tell me about AK-47 republic Veeky Forums.

By the Napoleonic period the difference was primarily battlefield role & training with occasional differences in weaponry, i.e. different swords, carbines, lances, etc.

The "Large men/horses equates heavy cavalry" paradigm existed more in peace and eroded quickly in war.

DAK can work pretty well for this, considering many Chinese had german stahlhelm and weaponry. Shorts and a mix of peaked caps and stahlhelm would be ideal.

>tfw 1/72 Chinese nationalists
thank fuck to Caesar's 1/72 minis otherwise I would not have started this army.

Sandbox rules for man-on-man skirmish level play with occasional vehicles and heavy weapons. Combat rules are fairly standard, nothing new or unique but nothing clunky or badly broken either.

Most of it's "charm" come from the fluff tables which help you name and create a background for the group of 3rd World, neo-barbarian, shitheels your force represents.

It's fun, dark but fun. What other set of rules can use the figure of an AIDS ridden Liberian in the wedding dress carrying a RPG-7?

Just look at the horses in your pic. They get at least as much attention as the riders. Those were some muscled out heavy horse. The kind of horse that could take a couple of shots and keep on raging on the charge.

1stcorps.co.uk/product/korean-war-chinese-squad/

RIP my mercenary air campaign.
Things were going well, low risk strike on the bridge went flawlessly, next mission was looking tough - a medium risk Close Air Support.
The enemy had a shit ton of AAA and SAMs, but thankfully the action took place far away from them. Our ground forces outnumbered the enemy, and it was looking like it was going to be an easy job of "Suppress the enemy while our guys roll over them".
Then on turn 1 an enemy A-1 Skyraider showed up, with a competent quality pilot (1 grade better than both myself and my partner), which completely fucked our plans.
Neither of us were equipped for air-to-air, being in an A-6 and Mi-8 respectively. The Skyraider came in behind my A-6, I broke hard right, going evasive and managed to avoid taking any damage as cannon fire from the skyraider's 4 20mms streaked past. Meanwhile our Mi-8 was able to suppress some of the enemy infantry and our guys on the ground managed to start making progress. I tried to draw the Skyraider into the engagement envelope of a mobile AAA (A 14mm mounted on a truck) but the AAA didn't score any hits. The Skyraider swung around and unleashed full fury with his 20mms, my A-6 being completely out of speed and unable to go evasive (doing so would have put me into a stall - which is fatal at altitude 1....). So I gritted my teeth and had to take the fire from the 4 20mm cannons. The A-6 disintegrated around me and I had just enough time to eject.

Hitting the ground I saw our Mi-8 in the distance, firing off rockets. The Skyraider made a pass and the 20mms ripped through the Mi-8, the helicopter losing control. The pilot was able to wrestle the helicopter away from the enemy ground forces, but another pass from the Skyraider sent the Mi-8 smashing into the ground. Medtner survived, but both he and I were lightly wounded. Thankfully we both ejected close to friendly ground forces and so weren't captured. The mission was a partial success, but our merc force is in tatters...

Well, that went about as well as can - for a lone-wolf testing campaign.

Now try a proper campaign - featuring adventures of a single flight (or however a group of 2 to 6 planes is called)

Hmm good point, I hadn't thought of starting with multiple pilots. I might include a few options for starting with more cash and more pilots. 3 difficulty levels, with 1 pilot and minimal funds being the hardest...

I certainly learned a lot from this mini-campaign, I have an outline of the Solo rules and merc air campaign rules done now as well as a bunch on the mission side.

Most of the way through the Angolan bush war research / stats too, so making good progress. watching some documentaries to get some background info.

pic only partially related (rhodesians)

>Well, that went about as well as can - for a lone-wolf testing campaign.

I agree. I don't think it was a failure of the campaign set-up or game system as much as it was a failure of the player.

They flew a CAS mission which had a chance of enemy air intercept without having a CAP. The end result was predictable.

The DVG "Leader" series teaches players very quickly not to get "cute". It looks as if this solitaire MAS rules do the same.

Quick question: have you read the mercs&planes campaign?
If not: 1d4chan.org/wiki/Mercenaries_and_planes
It might give you some ideas ...

I've never read it but looks like a lot of fun!
Quite the campaign. Looks like the GM went into a lot of depth (and used the AirWar C:21 rules for the air combat).

Yep, now I know never to skimp on CAP.
I could potentially continue the campaign, I had just enough to buy a MiG-21PF, but its a piece of shit with only 2 K-13 missiles and no guns. And I could only afford 2 missiles...
I think I've learned what I wanted to learn so far though, now I need to get everything integrated into the main rules and logically laid out.

>I had just enough to buy a MiG-21PF, but its a piece of shit

It didn't need to shoot anything down. All it needed to was muddled things long enough for the Hind to escape and then escaped itself. You're a merc. "Winning" means "protecting your kit" for you can fight again another day.

The DVG "Leaders" series teaches much the same lesson. You only press when absolutely necessary and your priorities should be crew, airframe, and mission in that order.

About how many planes would i need for each side if I wanted to play a few 1980s Cold War Gone Hot games in this system?

4 - 10 per side?
Ground Assets like radar sites, SAMs and AAA are included in the points system, so in some missions like the 'strike', up to 75% of your forces can be Ground Assets.

Pilot quality is included in the points system too, so you could have very few aircraft, but with excellent pilots. Likewise you could spam shitty pilots, although probably not a good idea to give them expensive aircraft if you really want to go for spam.

Tumbling dice do 1/600 aircraft at a very cheap price - 2-4 aircraft (depending on the size of the casting) for £2. So you could get 4 F-16s and 4 MiG-21s for £4

The MiG-21 can carry bombs so I guess I can still conduct my strikes and CAS. It's very fast for the period too which is nice. I'm not too happy with having to rely on the early K-13 missiles though - it has a 1/3 kill probability, even before the enemy tries to go evasive. plus I'm going to miss the A-6, life aint worth living if I aint intrudin'

>It's very fast for the period too which is nice. I'm not too happy with having to rely on the early K-13 missiles though - it has a 1/3 kill probability

Remember, you don't need to kill as much as you need to survive.

I too love the A-6. I loved 'em even before the movie

It's not really man-on-man. Figures are based as squads

To this day I'm still unconvinced that Planes 'n' Mercs was an actual game, and instead I think it's a superb piece of writefaggotry
But that's irrelevant, especially these days, because of the positive impact it had on Veeky Forums as a whole
I remember the excitement of waiting for a new thread, the high drama of their first death during a botched ejection, and of course the attack on the cruise ship
It's an important ancestor of /hwg/ because it was in response to an interest in modern African wars after P'n'M that I uploaded my first Ospreys, which combined with the AK47 Republic craze of 2013, has now led to where we are today
Speaking of which

>Most of the way through the Angolan bush war research / stats too, so making good progress
You're probably sourcing much more comprehensive material than this user, but there is an Angola War Osprey
I've put it in the new Modern African Wars folder as I slowly rebuild the Moderns collection
To date it includes
(1) MAA 183 Rhodesia 1965-80
(2) MAA 202 Angola & Mozambique 1961–74
(3) MAA 242 South West Africa
(4) MAA 492 The Congo 1960-2002
(5) MAA 507 The Nigerian-Biafran War 1967-70
mega.nz/#F!3plASZZZ!aaAEmQ2YisLhv9aVK2NJKg
I'd add more related titles later

My bad.

>To this day I'm still unconvinced that Planes 'n' Mercs was an actual game, and instead I think it's a superb piece of writefaggotry
Well, whatever it was - it was awesome & I'd like to see more.

also
>AK47 Republic craze of 2013
>desire to know more intensifies

>AK47 Republic craze of 2013
>desire to know more intensifies
Actually it was 2011!
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15635245/
A scan of the rules popped up on Veeky Forums and it became a regular feature for a few months
I don't know how many folks got to the actual gaming stage but it was definitely good for broadening some horizons
The particular concepts of imagi-nations and the narrative campaign track really made an impression

Do you think something like that could bring more Veeky Forums folks to /hwg/? Or at least raise some interest, anyhow.

Something like what?

Planes 'n' Mercs, posibly following something like Five Men on Normandy.

So while I wait excitedly for user's plane game, what's everyone's favourite Cold War plane game?

What game could I use/modify for a 19th century version of a campaign/nation management game based around lesser developed countries like in Central America[or fictional]?

Since we seem to be talking about that kind of thing,what other Imagi-nation games are worth looking at besides AK47 Republic?

user who got Daus Vult and some knights as his Secret Santa, or user who sent them, could you post them again and/or tell me where they were from? I recall thinking they looked like the tits and I think I want some

>Daus Vult

oh my, send help

You mean Fireforge?

That's the stuff. Thanks love.

One sprue of Perry Miniatures Agincourt french infantry and one sprue of Fireforge Miniatures medieval russians.

>Generate African Imagination
>Create army list
>create flag in paint
>do figure count & model cost
>army will never exist ever
suffering

Finally bought some new paint brushes from GW. Redshirt recommended me to not use paper to wipe my brushes, just use my hair. he also suggested that I use shampoo and conditioner on my brushes, it's hair after all.

Felt like sharing his tips.

Not so much a game, but /hwg/ favourite Ivan put out a rather good nation and campaign generator system for such things in 'Not Just A Brush War'.

Would work well enough with any of the relevant game systems. Could also run through it on here too.

the fuck

>2002+15
>buying anything from GW
>Listening to anything a redshirt says
>acknowledging the existence of GW

It's actually cheaper for me to buy GW where I live unless I want Army Painter.

>listening to anything a redshirt says
HURR CERTAIN HOBBYISTS ARE ALWAYS WRONG

Which company makes the best looking napoleonic era miniatures? I want to paint some Grenzers and Curassiers

WHich scale? I like the newer Strelets and HaT figures in 1/72.

Buying brushes from GW is usually not a good idea. They are expensive and their quality is mediocre at best.

Shampoo is a good idea, but you can use all kinds of soaps, some companies even sell specific "brush soap". Just add a bit in your pot of water and a bit more in your pot of clean water.

from 25mm and upwards, Id like to paint entire regiments aswell as larger "show off" minis to put in a display

>from 25mm and upwards, Id like to paint entire regiments
I presume you actually mean around 30 men, rather than ACTUALY an entire 2000 man regiment? If not - do not do it in 25mm+ please.

>30 men

yes in wargaming terms, yes

To be fair, a 2000-man regiment in 28mm *would* be impressive.

Victrix is really nice and so is Perry Miniatures.

For larger figures, check out Andrea Miniatures.

Yes, and there has to be someone out there idiot enough to try it.

Most paint brushes seem to be mediocre besides Winston Newton but no nigga can afford that more then a few times a year.

Thats the point though.
Why paint GW prices if you get the same quality as elsewhere for a quarter of their price?

That being said, even a mediocre brush can last a long time with proper care.

>more then a few times a year
if you're buying new brushes this often you're doing it wrong.
I got W&N S7 (NOT the miniature ones) 2 years ago, and because I've looked after them well, they're still going strong.

The only alternative I have is Army Painter unless I want to pay for quite expensive shipping. I can still use my GW brushes that I bought years ago.
I do only own two winston brushes(miniature), both are useable but I have to spend a lot of time cleaning them. So how come you didn't get the miniature brushes, are they more durable?

>To this day I'm still unconvinced that Planes 'n' Mercs was an actual game, and instead I think it's a superb piece of writefaggotry

Planes 'n' Mercs was indeed a massively great piece of writefaggotry. but it was also a pretty damn fun game. I was in the least known of the FSCs. I was in Congo Flight. Scrapped by day to day just to have the cash for supplies and fuel. It was a low gritty game not the Michael Bey, over the top, dramatic FSCs like some of the others

Airwar:C21 gets great reviews, looks fairly in-depth and still playable.
Harpoon does air combat decently, more on the larger scale, but that suits modern radars and naval vessels.
By the way, the game is called Missile Threat - and its likely still a few months from completion. I still have the Bosnia aircraft to stat out / research, and then the Eritrea-Ethiopia and Second Taiwan straits crisis to research and stat, then all the bonus aircraft and units...

Are SAGA factions from different expansions compatible/balanced to fight one another? I've been building A&A factions because it interests me the most but others in my area use mostly core Iron Age battleboards.

Anything to be aware of in terms of crossing?

Thanks!

Winsor & Newton, not Winston :)
I know a good amount of professional-level mini painters; it's pretty unanimous that the miniature line isn't as good as the S7. I actually don't recall why, if I'm completely honest.

Steppe Tribes in particular can be extremely strong; in the hands of a good player, they're probably the closest thing to an OP faction. Or to put it another way, they reward a GOOD player hugely (more so than other factions reward good players), and they're unlikely to completely self-destruct in the hands of a poor player the way other factions might. They're a strict upgrade to foot-based "shooty" armies (particularly the Welsh - IMO Steppes v Welsh is one of the closest things to a "auto-lose" matchup).

Aside from that, generally speaking, you can run MOST any given SAGA army against any other given SAGA army, and you'll be within spitting distance of being competitive. Mostly what matters is army composition; non-shooty cavalry forces can get bogged down by warrior spam, warrior spam can get shot up by foot shooty forces, foot-shooty forces get run down by cavalry charges. The composition triangle works as intended; it's just that horse archers are a PITA for everybody to deal with besides other horse archers, which, in fairness, is historically accurate. The battleboards actually make it easier, because you can use BB abilities to actually catch the fuckers sometimes.

Just have a question in regards to AK-47 what are some good alternative model ranges other then Peter pig? Flames of War, PSC, what else?

Personally I'd drop to playing in 6mm and use the usual recommendations there (GHQ/Heroics&Ros/CinC).

Otherwise, my knowledge of who does 15mm moderns is so out of date. I think QRF models are still around; they were the lower cost, beware the ancient dodgy moulds in places alternative to Peter Pig (though they may have overhauled extensively since I last looked).
Skytrex might still be doing 15mm vehicles. Got some nice BTR-152s and T-55s off them way back.

Seeking pdf scans of Command magazine with games. Preferably Issues 2-20.

JAZZ, please !!!
Upload some SKIRMISH CAMPAIGNS books for WW2 wargame !
Thanks !!!

I use pic related, and just follow the instructions they give on the website, mostly, including leaving the soap in when you stop painting, and rinsing it out next time. I wouldn't recommend putting it in your rinse-water only because it can effect your paint in different ways, usually by breaking it down. So if, for example, you rinse in water with some soap and then dip into a new colour, the new colour might start to separate into pools of pigment and clear medium (I've had this happen if I didn't rinse brushes out thoroughly enough). Even if you wipe your brushes off after rinsing, you then have to worry about thinning with your rinse-water, which I try to keep it clean enough to do.

I usually wash my brushes in the kitchen sink to make sure soap is thoroughly removed, and generally only at the end of a painting session or if I've been painting for enough hours that paint is starting to dry into the bristles of the brush while I'm still working.

That said, I've never tried putting soap in the rinse-water, I just know that this particular brand gives me problems when using water-based acrylic if it isn't thoroughly rinsed out of the brush first.

GW brushes are not worth the money, Army Painter is pretty good but I personally use off-brand sable brushes from ali baba ($0.75 for three). If you can afford W&N then go for it

Khurasan and rebel minis off the top of my head.

Airwar:C21 is what I've played some of and I quite enjoyed it.

One tip for more modern combat: convert the ranges from inches to cm so you can start beyond missile range on a reasonably-sized table.

Listen to this user. He's knows what he's talking about.

Another handy thing for Airwar: fillable cards for plane reference.

And a fillable weapon reference card.

Are those the Trumpeter 1/350 / 1/700 scale aircraft meant for their carriers?

Skytrex is out of business. Early War Miniatures bought their 20mm line. Not sure where the 15mm stuff ended up.

BMP-3

Hi and happy holidays! Does anyone have Old School Tactical and/or Old School Tactical Vol. II to share? Thanks in advance!
flyingpiggames.com/t/old-school-tactical

Hiya /hwg/ I was hoping I could get some help IDing some minis i got from a buddy, he gave me a big bag of Napoleonic French guys.
He told me he bought them as voltigeurs with greatcoats, beyond that I have no idea, I'm not really certain of their scale either, though I'm guessing between 15mm and 18mm?
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a mini company with similar quality(I'm also assuming these are decent quality, I could very well be wrong) and also if i could get a recommendation for a ruleset to look at.
pic related is the regiment and dime for scale
36 firing with hats
4 firing with caps
15 advancing with hats
3 advancing with caps
19 loading with hats
4 loading with caps
23 fixing bayonet/loading with hats
I can post more pics if needed, Thanks lads!

hey /hwg/ I bought the soviet starter amry (pic related) in the warlord sale but I dont have the rules yet and was wondering if someone could help.

Am I correct in thinking the LMG teams are two men teams and the AT rifle is a two man team?

Check the OP, it has all the Bolt Action books

sorry I linked you but forgot to say that is some sexy terrain. Love it

Another pic with the different poses

Yes, in Bolt Action an LMG in an infantry squad is 2 men, one gunner and one loader. If the loader isn't within 1" of the gunner when he shoots you get a -1 to hit. Antitank rifles are 2 man independent weapons teams.

thank you! Also can I field rifle squads off 11 men including 3 SMGs and an LMG all in the one 11 man squad? I says so on the box but looking at the rules it doesnt say that

Depending on what type of squad you're fielding you have access to a variety of weapons options. For example Guards are allowed to have up to 11 men with the NCO and any number of men purchasing an SMG for +3 points per man and up to two LMG for 20 points each. easyarmy.com has all of the unit types and point values, if you want to play around with that.

Also, I got my /hwg/ secret santa package today.
>pic related

thanks for the help

Thanks for all the goodies Poland user! I play the occasional hex and chit wargame, so I'll definitely be looking forward to trying out the one you gave me. Also be on the lookout for pictures of the 75mm gun once I paint it up!

No problem user. I have some Soviets myself that I'll eventually get around to building, painting, and gaming with.

hah tell me about it buddy I've still got my western front stuff to finish. Trouble is a good deal comes along and you snap it up