GURPS General

/GURPSGEN/

It's always in a issue of pyramid edition

RPM is the best magic system sub-edition

Question of the day: What was your favourite session / campaign of GURPS?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/kRh5LB2c
pastebin.com/Dvp1DqAV)
forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=2101483&postcount=2
sjgames.com/gurps/books/aftertheend/
youtube.com/watch?v=LdVYW9r2G3U
youtube.com/watch?v=Tq0JmV7mKDs
youtube.com/watch?v=kmCpgswz0gQ
youtube.com/user/austinwarriorarts/videos
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=72465
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

New and curious? Want your friends to play? Have a free resource which boils the game down to its essence: GURPS Lite.

Full license: pastebin.com/kRh5LB2c
>you may distribute this PDF file freely under the above restrictions, and post copies of it online.

Best advice I have for getting your friends to play: make pregenerated characters (full basic set optional) and give them a choice between them, use only the rules in Lite, run a one-shot and do something GURPS can do that other games struggle with. Off the top of my head: roleplaying by using disadvantages; tense and detailed social play using reaction rolls; high tension combat.

Advice on getting new folks to play and questions from new people are appreciated.

This pasta: (pastebin.com/Dvp1DqAV)

Previous Thread

I think PDF user died, but nonetheless the beggining of his work remains. This WIP FAQ should cover most of the basics that most newbies will have, anyone who has some PDF editing skills feel free to add to it

>Question of the day: What was your favourite session / campaign of GURPS?

I've been quite enjoying Grimwyrld, a dark TL 4 fantasy game run by a poster on this board.

PDF user might just be enjoying the holiday break. He did God's Work when he was around, in any case.

Would adding bonus/half bonus(From power-ups: Wildcards) to contests with Wildcard skills? That seems to be the biggest flaw with them, is that say some super competent rogue with 48 points to get Thief! at DX+2, will have a harder time not getting spotted picking a pocket, than a (relatively) regular conman.

True, if Mr. Karate and Mr. Fist just stand still and trade punches, then yes, versatility is mediocre. Mr. Fist can pull off insane shit though with access to a bunch of skills like Lizard Climb, Light Walk, and Flying Leap, making them stupid mobile and potentially keeping Mr. Karate from even landing a blow. Theu can use Actobatics to get behind and grapple in a rear arc or strike him with a staff at Reach 2 for sw+4. They can scare Mr. Karate off with Intimidation or win him over with koans and katas. This versatility is very useful in general adventuring contexts even if they’re losing out on raw combat might, though I maintain versatility in combat is not to be overlooked.

Additionally, this issue is a bit close to 8 0 P O I N T S I N G U N S. Wildcards are a simple way of adding a bunch of skills to your character sheet, so 48 points in Fist! is alright, as is 48 points spread across a number of related skills (12 in Karate, 12 in Judo, 4 in Acrobatics, etc.), but 48 points in Karate and just Karate seems... weird. Hard to justify maybe? Sorry, I really wish I was able to explain my issue with it a bit more eloquently.

Two questions:
1) How to use two-handed swords in mordhau/murder stroke (pic) position for crushing damage? Closest thing in MA is pommeling but it seems more like an "armed hammer fist" than what I'm looking for. The same question has been asked in the official forum in the past but there has been no conclusive answer.
My guess is that it's using the sword with two handed axe/mace skill. If so, is Form Mastery a valid perk to quickly switch to this grip?

2) According to GURPS Animalia, a Guard Dog is a -21 points character. Would the Pet perk grant me one of these? Supers and DF9 has rules for very weak allies and the minimum value here is 0.2 base cost, *4 for constant frequency and round it up and you get [1].

1) Typically this is treated as Two Handed Axe/Mace, dealing CR damage equal to the sword's normal CUT damage and with the Hook option. The Longsword Fighting text on MA page 180 hints at this.

I also allow it using Two Handed Sword -2, with an Easy tech to buy it off. Even then it's somewhat rare for someone to switch to the reverse grip, but I've always liked to see it.

2) Typically a guard dog is property, bought with money. I suppose a Perk level Signature Gear or Ally could do this. Note that in combat the -21 guard dog won't be worth much or last very long, so keep him safe. If you want a badass dog as an ally then one at 25% of your point total should give him plenty.

>Longsword and a canine friend.

I already like whatever character you are building.

How would I go about converting this to GURPS?

(1/2)
>The Longsword Fighting text on MA page 180 hints at this.
The lack of depth in that section is rather infuriating. Give me some more rules, damnit. Heck, you already have Reversed Grip section for knifes, just add another paragraph for swords and it would be set.

>dealing CR damage equal to the sword's normal CUT damage and with the Hook option.
That's something I was going to ask but ended up forgetting. Do you think it should have parry 0U? I personaly think so and I agree with your assessment that it should deal as much crushing damage as it did cutting. Umbalanced weapons usually gets +1 to their damage but in this case I don't think there's enough weight in the handle/hilt as it would have in a proper mace.

>I also allow it using Two Handed Sword -2, with an Easy tech to buy it off.
Nice, cheaper than building up Two-Handed Axe/Mace for the sole purpose of occasionaly half swording. Speaking of techniques, if SJ ever do GURPS 5th Edition they should change interskill defaults into techniques, the current way is, with all due respect, ridiculous (Why pay [8] to make staff on par with spear instead of spending the same increasing spear skill?).

>Even then it's somewhat rare for someone to switch to the reverse grip, but I've always liked to see it.
Depends on campaign but I think it's a perfect tool for a DF Knight (or Swashbuckler). Using it with a sword that can deal impaling damage, it pretty much gives you all damage types required to survive a dungeon.

(2/2)
>Typically a guard dog is property, bought with money. I suppose a Perk level Signature Gear or Ally could do this.
I don't know where I read it but I've seem Pet described as "weak ally, weak dependent and signature gear", PU2 also says it's effectively a Signature Gear. Seeing someone's view aligns with these makes me confident in getting this perk.

>Note that in combat the -21 guard dog won't be worth much or last very long, so keep him safe. If you want a badass dog as an ally then one at 25% of your point total should give him plenty.
I'm aware of this (it does what, 1d-5 biting damage?), I'm currently more interested in it's acute senses (smell and hearing) to serve as sentinel and companionship. Though I admit I've been tempted to improve its stats to increase his combat utility and get it as proper Ally [4].

>I already like whatever character you are building.
Glad to hear that but I admit it's not thanks to my creativity or anything, I just rolled the Heroic Background Generator and got some lucky rolls that made the character workable.

>it's always in a issue of pyramid edition

this is true. I played GURPS for 3 or 4 years without ever reading Pyramid, and built up a list of 'things I wish GURPS did better/easier'. Since I discovered Pyramid, like 80% of that list has been answered.

>What was your favourite session
Ive been running Grimwyrd for two years or so now, and have had quite a few good ones with that crew

>the pinnacle session where they storm the castle, blitzing the gate with a cannon, stabbing everything in their path within a second of discovery, slaying a dragon while it belches fire everywhere

>blasting the players with a massive electrical spell from a hex witch, and rolling random hits, only hitting the dwarves.

>the players discovering a bigass flying castle keep, and then accidentally spending 6 months of game time there

>the players using their last resort in the face of a score of dragons, setting off a magic nuke

>the aftermath session where they hike through miles of the dead, struggling to get back to civilization

>when the party learned of the betrayal of lord Jadeite, and how he orchestrated 90% of their struggles in the world, including the war with Gorgoth

lots of highs and lows. Been a great story

What are some good noncombat skills/abilities for an unarmed fighter? I want him to be able to have a decent capability for social stuff, but more in the vein of "Making friends" than "Being really good at manipulating people". Doesn't feel like there's a lot of skills geared towards the former.

Leadership, psychology, diplomacy, etc etc.

You are right, skills don't focus there. Try getting Carousing and maybe Singing or Hobby Skill (games) to show someone fun to be around.

You can also pick up Advantages to make friends more easily. Voice and Appearance give bonuses to Reaction rolls, making it more likely to get friendly first impressions, and making it easier to make new friends.

Reposting this, because i found it very interesting.
Basically, Tech Level is real when it comes to communities and sociology, and the biggest determinant is population size.

How much ST does a human need to have before you could just look at them and know they're strong? I'm not talking body-building competitions, but "this person clearly works out".

It really depends on how well you can spot indications of strength. Normal people, maybe 12 or 13? If you know what you're looking for, maybe 11 or 12?

For a person that is also Thin or unexceptionally large, ST 11 can be viable but generally it's 12 or so when a stat starts to become relativity clear. At 13 you are quite big and strong, while 14+ puts you in the Big Guy category.

It also comes down to what they are wearing and how good a look you get, of course. Hard to guess this guy's ST from this picture.

does anyone have that compilation of "lewd: GURPS, it goes something like
>wrestling
>erotic arts
>forced entry

As p.14 of the basic set specifies an exceptional score is immediately recognizable (so 13-14). Pic related

What is a good intro resource for understanding how medieval combat actually looked like? I am not looking for a detailed treatise (funnily, those can be found relatively easily from what I've gathered).

\m/ Rock on, dudes.

I'm still around, just kicking back. I've been keeping an eye on the FAQ posts for replies, but there haven't been any suggestions, near as I can tell.

Shit. Forgot to say that if peeps could occasionally pastebin some responses to the FAQ posts, and reply with them until they're incorporated, that'd be super awesome.

Except ST is an anomaly among attributes, which makes this box less adequate for it. Fits better for KYOS afaik.

Probably quite a bit, it's hard to distinguish a thin coat of fat over a lot of muscle from a thick coat of fat over bugger all. The woman in the middle of this picture looks like a couch potato, but she's one of the strongest women in the world.

An average skinny-fat guy is maybe 70 kg and 25% bf, while someone with the same height who works out regularly might be 76 kg and 15% bf while still having basically the same body volume, but another 12 kg of lean mass and probably 10% more ST. At 10% bf you can go up to almost 80 kg with no change in volume, although your shape will probably be noticeably thinner at the waist and when undressed the muscle will be visible under the skin. Still hard to spot in heavy clothing or armour though. At that level you will have nearly 20 kg more lean mass, probably about 20% more ST.

That's a 20% boost to ST while staying in the 'medium' build zone. Get heavy-set like the woman in the picture and you can conceal quite a bit more muscle. A 20% body fat 120 kg strong-fat type can look a lot like a 40% body fat 100 kg lardball, but is packing another 40 kg of lean mass under the fat, probably good for 30% more ST.

You can also get a fair bit wider without triggering people's perceptions of you as being especially 'large'. I'd say you can increase your body volume by around 30% (14% wider) for about 10% more ST before you start making a noticeable difference.

Height stands out more. Even a 5% increase in height will make you seem huge, but not be enough to change your ST score by a whole point.

What the difference between the normal DF pdfs and the rpg box set?

A little more organized. Some extras. Not all DF books included.

So I should just stick with the old pdfs, thanks.

From left to right

100 kg, ~40% bf, ST 10.
115 kg, ~20% bf, ST 13.
125 kg, ~10% bf, ST 14.

forgot image
>every fucking time

My parachronic conveyor won't start, yes I checked the cell bank. The projector missed the pickup time (now two days gone) and we're looking at a potential fiasco here, with some book the local primitives call a 'necronomicon' stirring up local feuds. Also Jayred says he saw an army of skeletons.

What is proper procedure in this scenario?

On the other hand, both these guys could be ST 13 but I think most people would be a lot more intimidated by the guy on the left.

How does climbing work in combat time? Like trying to climb a tree, a ladder or some cliff and how does it affect weapons and movement speed mechanic wise?
I guess the PC is forced to throw or put away his weapons before attempting to climb then ready his weapons again but the details are beyond me.

Nice work

Just calm down, have a pint and wait for things to blow over. Your SOP book should have secondary pickups and alternate extraction options listed if you need them.

The most important thing is Not To Panic.

How a person carries weight can make it very hard to tell how strong they are. A person with very low body fat can look sharply defined and cut without being particularly strong. A very strong person can have a serious lack of sharp edges.

I'd say the amount of ST which makes you obvious depends mostly on your build...

If you are skinny, even one point of difference is visible.
For medium builds, one point isn't really noticeable, but two points is.
For overweight, you can hide up to two points.
If you are fat, you could be ST 14 before people start to notice.
Heavy clothing or something tailored to hide your muscles could hide another point or two.

Average guy compared to world's strongest man, just because.

Is a Contact with wildcard skill (specifically, Occult!) kosher?

See Power-ups 7, page 20.

Basically, yes, but at triple cost.

Been doing a bit of research on human body composition in order to do this build illustration thing. Going to post the numbers I am working with here so that you can check my assumptions, etc.

A typical human male has about 70 lbs of muscle. This is the main thing which affects their ST score, with ST scaling roughly with the cube root of muscle mass.

They also have about 20-30 lbs of fat. Fat is considerably less dense than other parts of the human body (about three quarters the mass for the same size), so it affects your body volume a bit.

The rest is blood, skin, bones, brain, viscera and a few other bits. A lot of that stuff gets bigger or denser with larger muscles; blood volume scales with lean body mass, bone density increases in heavier people and ones who do more exercise, various organs enlarge to support higher demands from larger muscles, skin scales with the square of the cube root of body volume.

It's all rather complicated, but long story short, I think you can approximate it as roughly 20% of an average man's body mass (around 30 lbs) being a 'fixed' figure and the rest affecting ST.

So we have muscles and muscle-related mass (M), the constant mass for your organs which don't change with muscle (C) and your fat (F) which together add up to your total mass (T).

If we know T, F and C, we can easily estimate M, which is what we need to calculate relative ST.

I believe C probably scales with the cube of height. So if we assume the average guy is 5' 10", a 6' 9" guy like in would have a C of about 47 lbs.

If his total weight is 400 lbs and he has 10% body fat, that means his M is about 313 lbs. compared to a normal guy's M of about 90 lbs. That would equate to about 50% more ST based on my calculations, or ST 15.

That seems a little low. I would have thought a 400 lbs. athletic giant would be a bit stronger than ST 15. I think I need to adjust the value of C somehow.

Panic

Immediately

Thanks, so a completely reliable ESL-12 Occult! contact with FoA 6 or less costs [5]. Not sure if it's actually worth...
Is there some kind of "hardly accessible" limitation? The occultist in question lives in the character's hometown and contacting him would require travelling home (no long range communication). Or does the advantage already accounts for it?

Nevermind: forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=2101483&postcount=2

Don't worry, Necronomicon is actually a cute girl (beware her batshit crazy daughter though).

Let's try increasing the fixed value of C to 25% base body mass and scaling it with height squared instead of cubed...

That means our normal 150 lbs. guy has a C of 37.5 lbs. and the 400 lbs. strongman now has a C of 50.2 lbs. That equates to M of 82.5 for the normal and 309.8 for the giant. That gives the strong guy 55% more ST... still kind of underwhelming.

I don't think we can really say any less than 55-60% of an average guy's body is contributing to strength, since muscle alone is about 50% of his total mass.

I'm fairly sure tall people do have skeletons and other organs which are heavier than those of short people and I doubt they scale at anything less than the square of height.

So either ST should scale at something other than the cube root of muscle mass, ST 15 is about human maximum or some people's muscles are pound-for-pound stronger than others. I'm inclined to say the last seems most likely, since I know the mix of 'dark' and 'light' fibres can change power vs. endurance and some people just seem to have slightly more efficient organs due to fortunate genetics (probably mostly low mutational load leaving all the genes which make relevant proteins intact).

If we assume top human ST is actually about 17, then we can probably put the maximum effect of those factors at around a 10-15% increase in ST.

New DFs are also standalone. They’re mean to get new people into the hobby.

To climb in combat, you need to take a Move manoeuvre. You swap your entire move for the climbing speed specified on BS p. 349.

One Arm gives -4 to Climbing rolls, so presumably that would be the maximum penalty for having one hand occupied. I think having a small item in your hand or one which you could use to help with climbing, like a pick, would have a lesser penalty (or even a bonus).

It's not at all clear to me when you need to roll against Climbing skill.

Does anyone here do climbing in real-life? Seems like a potential Pyramid article...

The only information I got from the forums is that you need to make a climbing roll every 5mins but that's a lot of time for most combats so I guess you only roll for to start climbing, there's something about how many ladder steps you can climb per second which makes it seems that climbing a ladder has its own speed than climbing a mounting or lifting yourself up from an edge.

My real problem is when both hands are holding something, what I understood is you need a turn to put down each weapon/shield, a turn to start climbing , a turn to pull yourself up then a couple more to ready your weapons again, if for whatever reason it took more than 5mins, a failure in the climbing roll means a fall, which raises another question, what happens if the character got attacked mid climbing?

This is more relevant for a fight on a pirate ship where combat isn't limited to 2 dimensions.

I think the rolling is more reactive in combat, so a roll if you face adverse conditions (like damage) or the like.

>RPM is the best magic system sub-edition

I want to get into RPM, but I just don't get it. Can some sit me down and eli5 it to me like the retard I am

You ask the GM if you can cast a spell that does a thing. The GM thinks about this and tries to see if it has any sort of horrible abuses or effects on the setting or other ramifications. He is incentivized to downplay the power of your spell, or to restrict it arbitrarily in some what, which the player will argue against as it is unsatisfying. This conversation continues until one party or the other gives up, or is somehow satisfied, and then you gather the energy required to cast the spell and make your rolls to cast it. You're probably going to generate quirks while doing so, so the GM has to come up with interesting ways for the spell to fuck with you. Ten sessions later, the spell's impact is realized in a completely unrelated way on the setting and suddenly everything is thrown off track by it. The GM has to have the magic police come in and break arms to make sure nobody does that again.

Sounds too abstract for GURPS while being overly complicated and time consuming.

Not the one you're replying to, but that's the exact experience our group had.

sjgames.com/gurps/books/aftertheend/

That is interesting. Part of it that always seemed to logically follow is that technology usually has to start with agriculture, which enables higher populations. Higher pop -> greater likelyhood someone improves some tech, like irrigation, enabling even higher food production and pop. Making more food with fewer laborers enables specialists to branch off and make their own crafts. You're unlikely to find weaving or textiles of any kind or appreciable volume in a hunter-gather society.

This is a very wide aside note. Agriculture and property also leads to some potentially weird sexism in society that wasn't present before. In hunter-gather tribes without a real notion of property, heritage of children doesn't really matter, so people don't get as possessive over baby-makers, which is to say, women. In other words, we had a good thing going and then agriculture fucked it.

It also logically follows that, undisturbed, without war on the horizon, a society is likely to continue to develop technology with the primary effect of making food production easier, faster, or higher volume, enabling a positive feedback loop of development which accelerates.

After the industrial revolution, and several medical breakthroughs, population ballooned even more dramatically, and as a result, so did the specialist population. The western world has seen incredible technological development the last couple of hundred years, I think primarily because education quality and availability has increased, and the ratio of farmers to other specialists has decreased.

The more we remove the need for tedious labor from an increasing population, the more likely it is that population will need specialists who innovate.

Thanks to the user who suggested I look in Dungeon Fantasy Henchmen for templates. I've been working on some for the last couple days and I was looking for some advice.

This is based on the Agent/Fence template beginning on page 4 of DF15 Henchmen. It was meant to be 125 points...but I guess I didn't follow the template properly?

Attributes: 120
ST 10 [0]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 12 [20].

Secondary Characteristics:
Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 [0]; Will 13 [0]; Per 13 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6.00 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0].

Advantages: 20
Acute Senses (Hearing)-2 [4]; Alcohol Tolerance [1]; Charisma 2 [10]; Fearlessness-2 [4]; No Hangover [1].

Disadvantages: -25
Greed [-15; Overconfidence [-5*]; Odious Personal Habits (Incessant Whistling) [-5].

Primary Skills: 16
Merchant-15 [8]; Gesture-14 [2]; Fast-Talk-13 [2]; Streetwise-13 [2]; Scrounging-14 [2].

Secondary Skills: 15
Area Knowledge (Region)-13 [1]; Acting-12 [1]; Disguise-12 [1]; Gambling-12 [1]; Smuggling-12 [1]; Body Language-12 [1]; Detect Lies-11 [1]; Shortsword-13 [4]; Brawling-13 [2]; Shield (Buckler)-13 [2].

Background Skills: 4
Filch-11 [1]; Stealth-11 [1]; Sleight of Hand-10 [1]; Search-12 [1];

Say there's a heirloom in my character's family, a quarterstaff enchanted with ghost weapon. It's worth $25,015 considering $25 per energy. Usually this kind of item is bought as Signature Gear but in this case it would cost [51]! Is there a more sensitive alternative to SG for this case?

You pick what you’re affecting. That’s the Path you use. Then you pick what you’re doing to it in very broad terms—creating, destroying, etc.—and that determines the base energy cost for the spell. After that, it’s all minor additions that further increase energy requirements—area of effect, side effects, etc. Finally, the GM decides how badly your spell breaks the rules of reality, with subtle or minor effects being qualified as Lesser while more gross refutations of physics qualify as Greater and come with an energy cost multiplier.

Casting requires multiple rolls at regular intervals ranging from every five minutes to every second depending on how good you are. You roll against the Path’s skill, and you add your margin of success to the total amount of energy gathered. Failures add 1 energy and screw up the spell slightly, but only on a crit failure does the spell fail (and backfire spectacularly), though enough failures will screw the spell up so much it may be worth abandoning.

Just realised I forgot to add another -25 of disads... (Chummy [-5]; Compulsive Gambling [-5*]; Lecherousness [-15*])

What advice are you even looking for? You're building a character from a template.

Well said, user. I'd only add that one of the unintended consequences of an ever-increasing population make possible by the surplus food is an ever-increasing need for more land to grow the food to feed the larger population. Agriculture leads to expansion, and sooner or later, that leads to war(s).

Honestly, just some reassurance that I'm not completely fucking it up. I feel like even though I'm using templates, I'm probably making mistakes I'm ignorant to.

>In hunter-gather tribes without a real notion of property, heritage of children doesn't really matter, so people don't get as possessive over baby-makers, which is to say, women. In other words, we had a good thing going and then agriculture fucked it.

Building something that lasts for your children is a bad thing?

Could I do damage with create or shape fire?

So, I have a bit of a dilemma.

A player of mine wants to run a Fat character. Ordinarily I would have no problem with this, however this is a TL1 game, so normally for a person to get fat and then maintain his fat, he'd either have to be Wealthy or have some Status. The problem is that it doesn't seem right to me to make the player spend points on an advantage to be allowed to get a disadvantage.

How would you feel if I told you Wealth or Status is a requirement for Fat?

I mean, he could be a bookkeeper / scribe or just have terrible metabolism

TL1 is, what, ancient Sumer?

Anyway, shouldn't the typical TL1 character be Skinny[-5]? Are you enforcing that as well, or are you letting people be standard weight without status/wealth etc. to justify that?

The average height has also gone up a bit, so they should probably start with lower ST as well? I dunno, it's hard when you're talking about something that's literally three-five thousand years ago.

Building a legacy for offspring is not a bad thing. That's genetic and biological drive at work. The kind of weird, possessive, psychotic behaviors that notions of property and inheritance lead to is fucked.

Anthropology research suggests that the notion of personal property and ownership of farms and animals led to the notion of ownership of women, or more to the point, ownership of their womb. This was permanent, lest you be shamed for some sin and stoned to death. It enforced the value of virginity, it codified the sale of daughters and punishment for rape victims, led to a culture of repressed and shameful sexual drives.

Meanwhile, the biological drivers behind what we define as love are usually based around having a child and raising it enough to let it be dependent on only one parent. The timeframe for biologically driven love as given by one Dr. Fisher (biological anthropologist who had a lecture I attended), is about 4 years.

The point is, biologically, it makes just as much sense to have a child or two, raise them through infancy, and move on. People would probably do this willingly, lovingly, instead of in a dogmatically forced owner-property relationship of husband and wife.

Genetic diversity also contributes to the overall health and success of offspring. Biologically, it makes more sense to have a series (or in parallel) of parental partners who are free to move on after they've raised a couple children and aren't tied down. No reason why they couldn't stay together, but no legally compelling shit to keep women trapped. This is both more genetically robust and less culturally fucked.

The Western world is only in the last couple hundred years starting to pull its cultural and social head out of its ass and eschew those weird sexist behaviors. Property isn't an inherently bad thing, nor the desire to pass inheritance, nor agriculture, but the bed of Western society got them at the same time in a way that fucked shit.

I want to get one of my friends into playing GURPS, but he refuses to even look at the book because he doesn't like point buy systems, what can I do?

>bookkeeper / scribe
That would be Status, though, since these are important people in TL1

>terrible metabolism
I'm not sure how that would actually translate, I'll look into it.

It's equivalent to Late Bronze Age in this case. Average wealth would get you an average build unless the players want to play a struggling farmer. ST10 is 5'3" to 6'1" and the average height of people from that period falls into that range very neatly, with Egyptians being on the lower side (with some exceptions) and Mycenaeans on the higher side. I'd have to go back hunderds of thousands of years to actually have to drop to ST9 in the average case.

My main problem is that in those times, merely being fat conveyed visually that you were important and wealthy, and would grant you societal advantages. A double chin was a symbol of prosperity in ancient Egypt, for example, and often featured on their carvings (which were otherwise well muscled and in-shape).

Kill him

Alternatively, run a one shot for him with a simple premade, and just hand hold the fucker. If he gets interested, he'll read, guaranteed.

Is there any other expansions to GURPS lite like the zombies lite? Specifically anything for fantasy games / magic?

I'm not Matt Easton, just a neckbeard with a little deeper interest in historical arms than your usual neckbeard. That said, I have no good resource for actual war, I imagine it would be pretty ugly and much less about individual skills.
For individual duels, I can only help linking things that doesn't look like a completely bullshit:
Halberd combat: youtube.com/watch?v=LdVYW9r2G3U
Mounted combat: This guy has a suit, monocle, horses and armors so either he's filthy rich or he know's enough of his stuff to invest considerable resources into it.
youtube.com/watch?v=Tq0JmV7mKDs
youtube.com/watch?v=kmCpgswz0gQ

Yeah, fire is a tricky one though because most interpretations would require a Greater effect to deal significant damage. Even if you combine Lesser Create Fire and Lesser Strengthen Fire to ignite someone's worn clothing, you can't justify more than 1d Burn damage.

There's few other videos that I'll link later but in the meantime Schola Gladiatoria has spar videos. Skallagrim has a few videos sparring with a friend of his that seems well trained. You probably can find a video of Lindybeige punctuing the front armor of a M1 Abrams with a yew longbow.
Also there's this guy with a lot of sparring with non-western weapons (eg shotel): youtube.com/user/austinwarriorarts/videos

>Anthropology research suggests that the notion of personal property and ownership of farms and animals led to the notion of ownership of women, or more to the point, ownership of their womb. This was permanent, lest you be shamed for some sin and stoned to death. It enforced the value of virginity, it codified the sale of daughters and punishment for rape victims, led to a culture of repressed and shameful sexual drives.
Now that's the dumbest shit i've ever read, since the start of the world possession and jealousy was a thing, whether you believe it or not, the first kill in the human world was to get a woman, people trying to force the evolution joke are the same who force degenerated agendas now, we always had the same mentality, since there was no real technology, humans started as geniuses in social intelligence, across the ages we had a lot of crazily advanced civilization (greek, egyptians...), the only problem was the numbers, even in tribal isolated places the leaded will get women and people will fight about women, jealousy and love is one of the most basic things carved in out brains.

Now if you try to defend your cuckold fetish and try to pin it on a long dead generation then try to keep that to yourself.

Anthropology is for cucks, and is as useless as sociology or psychology. It's also not real, dinosaur bones were objectively planted by jews to undermine the Christians, and to bring on the end of the world

Read up on the Pointless chargen systems and build one for your own campaign? There's not much else, retardation is chronic and can't be reversed.

Check the mega folder, it has everything, Pyramid issues are great too

Which TL makes the most interesting combats? It feels that everybody is enjoying low TL

Higher tech levels are like rocket-tag, it's either miss or fatality. Which is fairly close to how it actually is and was.

When you say everyone, do you mean this thread or your group?

If you mean your group, then just keep it, if people are enjoying it then that's good

Otherwise, I feel the higher up you go the more crazy shit you get, so TL 12 +

I'm running both a low tech Fantasy campaign and a modern campaign and both feel fun for different reasons.

High tech combat is more about positioning, planning and not letting the enemy take a shot at you, while low tech combat is more about individual skill and drawn out fights.

Do not trust this man. His is a Centinium Agent and possibly a ape.

I like TL 4. Plate armor, firearms, swords, lances, cannons, primitive bombs, axes, ect.

Here's a good thread in the official forum:
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=72465

So in my setting, some people are psychics that have their powers activate whenever their adrenaline starts pumping. What rules should I use for deciding when they activate their abilities? Should I use stress or something? What books is that in? All of the powers are "transformation" type powers, like human torch or turning into a werewolf. What books would I need for that kind of thing?

Sorry, I know very little about GURPS outside from the core books.

>jealousy has always been a thing
No shit, sherlock. That's evidenced, too, and researchers address that if you'd ever bother to read or listen to them. Jealousy and a lack of communication skills alone don't account for all the horrible shit that humans have done in this scope.

>chad chieftan gets the girl
You don't fucking say? Got any other enlightening news to share?

>Run-on sentence. "Cuckold fetish". Using "cuck" unironically in an argument at all. Shitting on sciences.
C'mon, at least try.

You're a dense motherfucker, with no arguments worth addressing. Write coherently and maybe we can have a discussion instead of a pissing match.

I mean even if you go by this thread you'd rarely see a discussion about shooting, it's all about swords and muskets at best with the occasional wwII posts.

Wow... left wing evopsych is just as bad as the opposite.

4, 5 and 9.

4 has the full range of melee options with nothing but bows to ruin the fun, and bows are pretty well balanced against melee.
5 (and early 6) introduces revolvers, proper shotguns, rifles, etc. but they're all fairly weak and limited. Melee is an option still, and combat often becomes a delightful clusterfuck of melee and gunfights and shooters taking a few non-lethal hits before reloading in cover.
9 (and late 8) isn't as lethal as later TL:s but has access to both interesting weapons and interesting systems and gadgets. Ranged combat is at it's most tactical.

So I have to say how many shots before each attack with a gun or I won't get up to my RoF? And if I say declare 5 shots and only get enough success over my recoil for 3, I only shoot thrice?

When you choose to attack with a gun, you declare how many rounds you fire up to your max RoF. That becomes your RoF for that attack.

If you declare 5 shots and get enough success for 3 hits, you still shoot 5 shots. 3 hit, 2 miss

How is GURPS compared to Savage Worlds?

Guy from last thread who was asking about Symbol Magic, never really got a answer and would like some help

So to use Symbol Magic it's something like this - you inscribe / paint or whatever onto a object with the appropriate skill (Carving, calligraphy etc.), and invest the FP into it then. Then, when you want to use the item you use the symbol drawing skill to activate the spell, but I have a couple of questions.

Do you have a skill check for each symbol? If I wanted to cast fireball with Create, Shape, Move and fire would I roll 4 times? Do I also spend FP then?

And once I've cast that is the symbol gone? What's stopping me from just waltzing around with a scroll case with each of the nouns / verbs available?

I've looked around and can't find any, I'm just asking in case if I've missed. I'm looking specifically for add ons to Lite, or things that would easily add on that A: Is not too long and B: Not that complicated

Ah you meant add ons for the lite version, sadly zombie is all you'll find at the moment, there is however How to be a GURPS GM which is only 73pages and has nice additions.

There was an answer for that which said the symbols will indeed be gone when you cast it once and you'd need to go through the same process again, yes you need a check for each symbol but i'm not sure about this one.