/wfg/ Warhammer Fantasy general

No Fanfiction Fags Edition

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/2EJLZq7a
WFRP: pastebin.com/NX6t6eYa
Novels: pastebin.com/bgy1rqd6

>We're looking for these novels for the archive:
pastebin.com/t5kdcfVm

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/WQTJDtUV

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

>Warhammer Video Games
pastebin.com/396cm1Jp

Old thread →

Other urls found in this thread:

m.historyextra.com/article/feature/groom-stool-men-who-changed-henry-viii-underpants
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I am stupidly happy with my Bretonnian peasants. I had no idea they had the various fluffy bits, since I'd only ever seen so many pictures of the miniatures. Dogs and snails, horns and small kegs...

AY YA FAKKIN’ STRUGGLE AN’ GRUNT, YA BETTA GIVE ME YER FAKKIN BEES AND HONEY SINCE YA WALTZED UP ON MY FROG AN’ TOAD YA TWAT

The new Warriors of the Dark Gods armybook has really eaten away at the trust between players and the developers.

What a bleak yet entirely useless statement, offered with zero attempt to place it within context of a discussion.

Right? Same for the knights kit. I mixed up the two for some dismounted non-shiteaters and came away pretty happy, even if it was just for show and fun.

What exactly does Zweihander fix in WFRP2e?

I looked over the book, and the only thing I really noticed as an improvement was making careers more balanced, with fewer crap/trap options. Mechanically a few things are different, but not standing out as better.

Can someone explain to me how redirecting charges works?

I made this pic originally.

Feels good to see my baby again.

Though I made an updated version a few months ago

Wtf are you on about?

Soon

Have they released the version with the artworks?

Oh shit! What?

Great job!

Careers aren't supposed to be balanced.

Yep. There's a fair amount of fluff in it aswell. I especially liked the storyline about the commander of some periphery town and his interactions with WDG.

When it comes to stories, do you prefer new original characters or established characters as the protagonist(s)?

New characters, definitely.

Mainly because if it is always the same guys doing shit around you end up limiting yourself in both scopes and interactions.

I've heard people say zwei is basically Mythras with more spells and a talent system, due to the changes it makes from wfrp.

The standalone figures of the various "gods" are nice, sloth and pride in particular are interesting

Do anyone have any experience using plaguebearers on rotflies in their DoC army? I'm thinking about using the new Blightkings on Rotflies as 'em for a WoC count-as Legions of Chaos army.

New characters since the Lizardmen don't have that many established characters to begin with.

>Gods based on the seven deadly sins

How lazy and shit.

I know, it's not like anyone takes 9th age fluff as anything but proxy at best

>Tzeentch, like all chaos gods, hates failure
>keeps reviving Morghur every week
You think he'd get someone else by now

Shocker, ninth age fan fiction is shit.

>Champion of Sloth
"Eh, guys, do we really have to fight, say, today? How about tomorrow, noonish?"

I don't see why 9th age fags take pride in their game, it's just an a company that scored a bunch of disgruntled grognards and juve bandwagoners.

All they want to do is sell you models, JFC.

hey anons i missed play wfb cause i always prefered to model/paint and lived in bum fuck no where. what is a good edition to try and play my skaven in? i dont care how strong they are in that edition i just want the edition which is played most frequently so i can find games.

>tail isn't a giant benis
3/10

>Champion of Sloth
To be fair the followers of Sloth are depicted as bleak warriors who only act in accordance to the visions they recieve of the future which serve to fulfill the convoluted plan of their divine master and not how you described them.

You're probably best of playing 7th edition Skaven as they didn't get an update for 8th.

benis belong do burgle

"Blessed God o' Slothery, what be thine bidding?"
"Eh, I'll tell you tomorrow."

Is this all he does..? Role around in a mixture of his sweat. shit, and semen?

What are the welves feeling towards their high and dark kin? I know if anyone steps foot in the trees, that's an arrow to the face, but do they hold off if the reletives walk in? Do they consider themselves apart from the elven race and part of nature's hive mind? Are there any instances of high or dark elves just saying "fuck this political bullshit, I'm going to fuck trees" and try to integrate into the welves?

There's a story I think in the 8th Edition Core Rulebook of a High Elf noble who runs off to join the Wood Elves. His father gets mad and goes to get him back, and they end up killing each other (or similar, don't remember the exact details).

rip i'm pretty sure that 8th is the only edition that i actually grabbed a rule book for.

He also likes cooking, gardening, spending time with his family and squashing plague toads when he's rustled.

He's an ideal sugar daddy.

It's not like their 7th edition armybook doesn't hold on its own in 8th edition, it stood strong, probably because it was the last armybook to be updated for 7th a few months before 8th so they already had it in mind.

>implying he'd have it any other way

is 8th still played heavily by the whfb crowd? or is there an edition which is most preferred in general?

Can only speak for my vicinity but we only play 8th edition.

It all depends on area. Seems thread consensus is that 6th was good, but since pre-end times 8th was the last edition released, that has the most played.

As for skaven, you'd be useing the 7th ed rule book for 8th games anyway, as there is no skaven 8th ed book. There is the 9th age skaven equivalent (verminous horde or somthing, I don't play it), but that's up to preference.

>followers of Sloth are depicted as bleak warriors who only act
>followers of Sloth... act

Not doing a very good job, are they?

How would one run a fully-Norsca army?

Warriors of Chaos.

Being slothfull is about doing as little as possible and thus maximisingthe results of your actions.

Which is fine for real life, not for a game. If there's going to be careers that are objectively worse than others, there needs to be some balancing factor to them, even if it's just, "You can get through this in 3 advances and the exits are something useful".

Especially in a game where the assumption is that you random roll your career, being able to irrevocably fuck a character for an entire campaign with a single roll at chargen is not good design.

No, it's about not doing anything to your own detriment.

Don't believe the church's lies

>Download Vermintide™ because I want to get into Warhammer
>It’s literal copy/paste Left for Dead
Any good Warhammer games? I played like 2 days worth of the MMO, but that genre is cancer.

Nah, gay.

Go play FATE, snowflake.

Unfortunately no.

Just because you don't like Left for Dead doesn't mean Vermintide isn't a good warhammer game. Skaven lend themselves very well as enemies and the combat is much more focused rather than actual LfD's spastic gunplay.

>hating on that melee gameplay
It's probably the best I've played for a FPS game.

In my group and FLGS we play 6th. It's the best of them all in my opinion.

>Warhammer take on L4D
>Bad thing

Choose one.

Also, Total War: Warhammer is phenomenal, but you do need I & II for the true experience, which is the massive mega Mortal Realms campaign.

total war warhammer is good

The Warhammer BotET mod for medieval 2 is pretty good if you don't want to buy all sorts of dlc

I don’t dislike Vermintide or LfD specifically. I just have no friends to play with

Man I wish I could get a model like that, the Blood Bowl lizardmen look fantastic

Your best bet might be to wait for Vermintide 2 then since it'll have an active enough community for you to not need friends.

I've tried it but it crashed when I went to siege a city. I don't believe it was 100% finished. But was great from what I played

No mod is ever really finished, I'm now waiting on the next patch that'll update tons of unit models and add in new characters for different factions.
Crashes *shouldn't* happen that often. You want to make sure you've installed the latest patch correctly and that you launch the mod from the .bat file inside the mod folder itself. Also make sure you download the "4gb patch" which works for all sorts of older games, and apply it to all of your .exes, including the .bat.
In any case I always make sure I save before starting a battle.

>BotET

Total Warhammer was weak!
Witness true Fantasy

Always new characters as the protagonist. That way they can be shaped however you want and aren't confined to existing characterization.
It's fine to introduce existing characters as supporting roles. Just have them do something more interesting than show up and say "Wow! Your OC Donut Steel Mary Sue is so cool!"

I've had someone arguing the opposite because no one cares about original characters when compared to established ones

He wanks off a huge load of disease-ridden puss on to Isha every night too

I just realized how hyped I'm for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th edition. I'm checking for news on it everyday.
Will reading Gotrek and Felix until July be enough ?

I thought they said it was coming out in the first quarter of 2018?

Official announcement:

“The release date of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition will be set for mid-2018, with a specific date to be set in a few months. Thank you for your patience while we invest the time to make the best game we can.”

cubicle7 co uk /our-games/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay/

;-;

??

The problem with using established characters is that you have to stay within the confines of the existing canon. Even if you have a good idea for them, you'll sour a lot of people by having known characters act differently than the way they are in the official lore.

Quick question.

Why are all our copies of High Elves 6e so shitty?

I put a lot of work into making a good scan of it for you all. Didn’t anyone save it?

I have a slightly slower question.

Why were High Elves so shit in 6e?

The sins aren’t literal. Seriously, thats a really bad misunderstanding of the concept.

The sin of lust for example is actually the sin of ambition according to Catholic dogma, not the sin of lewd acts. It reflects courtiers and concubines politically influencing in ways they should not.
For example, one of the most important positions in politics was to be the guy who, among other things, wipes the king’s ass. Why? He has total access to the king at a vulnurable time, and is likely trusted, so a whisper from him influences policy. Such a man could cause a war with some poor advice he was paid to give by a foreign power all while wiping the royal ass. Such an act of intentional ill-will using your influence would be, according to the meaning of the Seven Deadly Sins, a sin of lust.

Enjoying a buttfuck for example is more a sin of Gluttony, which reflects hedonism and excess to the spiritual and physical detriment of yourself and others.

>For example, one of the most important positions in politics was to be the guy who, among other things, wipes the king’s ass.
Do you have a source?

Its a well known fact, but fine. First thing that came up on google. There’s a lot more sources than that as well.

m.historyextra.com/article/feature/groom-stool-men-who-changed-henry-viii-underpants

Are those state troops Averland?

Bit too much red I think. Which province is yellow/red?

it's talabecland
averland doesn't have red, it's yellow/black

also why did you post that image

neat, yeah figured they didn't look enough like bumblebees.

everyone responds to gondola

As a tabletop beginner (played some 40k, LotR, X-Wing), would you advice getting into WHFB? All of my friends recently "rekindled their fire and love" for this game even though they despite AoS till the end of time. They no longer regularly play the other games mentioned and ofter play WHFB which I can't join and refused since I claimed "it's just a phase", but it seems like it isn't. Simple questions came to my mind
>should I try it out, or skip?
>would I even enjoy it since it will be my "I just wanna play with you guys" pick?
>is it costy because it's OOP/no longer steadily available?
>What's a good "poor man's army"?
Would like to hear from you guys what you think about this. Already asked around other spaces, but more opinions are always good.

Holy shit. Can someone give a tl;dr insight on what the fuck happened with the settings and crunch? I'm trying to approach all this as a new fan, because Total Warhammer made me adore this mildly hammy setting that has its own take on things. Like fucking ripoff german mercs with goddamn BFSs take on the forces of entropy and chaos, or dwarfs with helibombers who want to slay anything without a beard.

The Fantasy setting of the Old World just seemed very goofy and fun. Humans fought each other as much as other races, because that's a thing that humans have a proclivity to do. Greenskins are belligerent assholes and fight each other often. Dwarfs are mostly solid bros unless they earn grudges against each other. They all hate chaos, yadda yadda, you don't need me to explain it. This is all justification to sell models and rules, but it's fun and unique justification. It's also GW's original claim to fame.

So why the fuck did they NIFO and replace it with AoS? They could have easily made their stupid mary-sue setting and ruleset coexist with WFB, but they deliberately put their oldest line out of print for a setting and models that feel like too self-serious unintentional self-parody of 40K. Like, 40k is hammy as hell, and feels like fantasy tropes and races in space, and everyone seems aware of how goofy it is and how overdesigned its shit is. AoS feels like space tropes disrupting perfectly good fantasy, feels too self-serious and trademark-y, with new overdesigned units that look like a ripoff of space marines, for some godforsaken reason.

What the fuck is happening?

>should I try it out, or skip?
The most important question as far as tabletop games go is this: Do you have people to play with? If yes and you like the game, then go ahead.

>would I even enjoy it since it will be my "I just wanna play with you guys" pick?

I would highly recommend making sure you actually like the game/universe itself as WHFB wasn't easy to get into even when it was alive.

That being said WHFB is one of my favorite fantasy settings and seems to have a faction that appeals to nearly everyone possible.

>is it costy because it's OOP/no longer steadily available?

Depends on the army but most of WHFB is still in production besides tomb kings and bretonnia. Certain units in nearly every army are OOP and will need to be Ebay'd but the extent to which depends on the army in question.

It will not be cheap though no matter what, especially if your friends are playing the more modern editions.

>What's a good "poor man's army"?

Ogres I guess. Nurgle Daemons are shockingly cheap on Ebay due to their recent AoS Blightwar box.

there is literally no other explanation for it other than "they are complete idiots"

I had a question:

"Every time they attempt to cast a spell, after the casting dice have been rolled a Night Goblin Shaman must eat a Magic Mushroom."

Say I take a Level 1 Shaman and equip the Ruby Ring of Ruin? Would Magic Mushrooms apply?

>Holy shit. Can someone give a tl;dr insight on what the fuck happened with the settings and crunch?

No, this thread is for pre-AoS WHFB. AoS has its own general on Veeky Forums and you'll get better answers from them.

>I'm trying to approach all this as a new fan, because Total Warhammer made me adore this mildly hammy setting that has its own take on things. Like fucking ripoff german mercs with goddamn BFSs take on the forces of entropy and chaos, or dwarfs with helibombers who want to slay anything without a beard.

Good because that setting is exactly what this thread is for.

tl;dr AoS was Kirbys last fuck you to GW before he was ousted and actual creative types have been doing their best to salvage it as a setting.

>What the fuck is happening?
GW is making money. I hate what they did to WHFB. I hate the look of the Sigmarines and the round base blobs of units where the dudes in the unit are just wound counters. I hate the overly casual rules and the overpowered heroes.
But it appeals to normalfaggots and those normalfaggots are paying GW more money than they ever made with their old universe. More money than they ever made with their old game rules.
At the end of the day, psshh it's nothing personnel... kid. it's just business.

Yes, as stated, my whole playgroup (we're like 5-8 people depending how "active" some of them are) recently began playing WHFB again (about 2-3 months ago).
I played a lot of Bloodbowl and I do like Fantasy Themes in regular. I guess that's a yes?
How "expensive" would a Wood Elves army be for a poorfag? I played Wood Elves already in Bloodbowl and I do love me some treefolk.

Thanks so far for answering my questions

New characters - it's not unfair to use established characters as side characters on occasion, but half the fun of Warhammer stories for me is exploring parts of the world that we can't see in the wargame, and fleshing out established characters always seems to cause a level of skub.

AoS=Bayformers. But without an IDW comic.

Depends. Glade riders, wardancers, waywatchers, warhawk riders and pretty much all glade lords are OOP.

Most of the core wood elf units are still in production and the treemen units actually ended up being expanded into their own faction in AoS, so they're pretty easy to get.

I know that the High Elves had tried to bring the Wood Elves back into the fold diplomatically, but the Wood Elves rebuffed them - I think they feel somewhat betrayed by the High Elves since they were left to fend for themselves (essentially, not literally), and no longer consider themselves to have fealty to Ulthuan. I think they feel distinct from the Dark Elves as well, especially since I think Morathi caused a lot of shit for Ariel.

It's not that they hate both - though I do think they have serious grudges against the Dark Elves - they just don't really give a shit about their connections to either race. They're mostly isolationists and prefer to be left alone, and unironically probably have more connections to Bretonnia than Ulthuan, just because the former is closer and more likely to mess with them.

Honestly though, I imagine the Glade Riders could be made by bashing Glade Guard onto horsies, the Sisters of the Thorn are still in print iirc, and the trees are easy to poorhammer by chopping up your sprues.

The Warhawks may be the toughest to actually proxy.

Hey so I've got an army of orcs and goblins, and a bunch of bretonians. The bretonians are mostly still on sprues but the orc army is mostly assembled/poorly painted.

>where do I sell these?
>should I assemble/paint them?

They belong to my husband but he hasn't played in years and wants them gone. Can I just... Vendor them? I don't really want to give them away, would like to get something back. I'm a decent painter and have the time to fix them up if that's worth it. Any advice?

pretty much, its not an impossible task.

Also since wood elves weren't squatted in AoS but were made kind of shit, they're pretty cheap on Ebay.

Ill buy your Bretonians. For cheap because i r poorfag