EDH/Commander General

"Lurking menace" edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
Is there a boogeyman deck in your group? If it's not your deck, how do you best combat it?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17560
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-12-17-kaseto/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is there a boogeyman deck in your group? If it's not your deck, how do you best combat it?
i play with a lot of different people. i've lost to meren and derreti a lot though.

experience counters are dumb.

Sub question: since this user reminded me, and someone on gatherer was complaining about the mechanic on pic related.

How do you feel about all of the non-interactive mechanics they've been creeping into the game lately, like experience counters, energy and now very likely ascend. At least with monarch you have a way to be dethroned without someone else playing a card that names them monarch.

Removing counters from players (which would interact with both experience and energy, as well as Infect) could show up the next time Phyrexia is relevant.

any resource that cant be countered is dumb, planeswalkers get a pass kinda since it usually takes awhile to ult. energy didnt get to have anti energy mechanics despite ENERGY SUCKING GREMLINS on a plane of PURE ENERGY. experience counters were also a typical commander precon mistake, with the only strategy is "just make them not play their deck is based around doing lol, we also made a land to get around commander tax since people were complaining about that lol"

maybe next time in kaladesh, since anti energy was a discussed thing that didnt make it in. phrexia doesnt have to have all the good things, even though it would thematically cleaning up mirrodin.

They're aiming for the casual and commander audience with it. I don't mind it too much as long as it's not parasitic/backbreaking. It's a necessity for some resources (i.e. energy) since that can get out of hand like we've been seeing in standard.

command beacon is a garbage card unless you play land based decks, which are shit.

>Is there a boogeyman deck in your group? If it's not your deck, how do you best combat it?

My Ur-Dragon deck. It’s nothing amazing, it’s not like I’m using Scion of the Ur-Dragon or Ramos to combo out. It just plays big dumb dragons quickly, that’s it. But I guess big dragons are scary enough on their own.

>command beacon is a garbage card
bitch, please. you only need it once.

my main complaint is wizards yet again making it easier to play your commander. tucking was revised to sell commander precons, plain and simple.

Pretty sure tucking was revised because it's inconsistent with other rules.

Marath, Ghave, or Prossh for tokens?

None, instead Option D: Daxos

mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17560

ie chaos warp was a mistake and easy, simple answers are only for blue brainlets and sometimes white, but who in their right mind plays white without blue? have fun against derevi now, fuckers :^)

Yuck

Marath doesn't get grave pact and sacrifice fun stuff, Ghave doesn't get mana echos/purphoros, and Prossh doesn't have the strategy of actually pumping up and swinging with tokens. Trying to decide which of those would be most fun for me instead of building all three.

>dat flavor text on M10 Goblin Chieftain
>Goblin Deathraiders
>the entirety of RKF's Goblin War Drums
Goblins used to be baller. God damn shame what happened.

Literally the best Magic artist. There is none better. I have never seen a bad piece from him.

>gitrog monster
>shit

>and now very likely ascend
But you can interact with that. Just destroy the permanents before he has 10 of them.

Removal is for try-hard spikes.

Stop bitching a buy a Karn

There are a lot of insanely good land commanders my g. Titania smiles at you behind an army of 5/3 dickslappers

if i proliferate the counter, i can kill multiple players at once, right?

would a proliferated counter start at 5 or the number the current counter is at?

i can't find any rulings besides the vague "it doesn't do what you want" on maro's blog, which only seems to say that you can't change what the number is through proliferation.

Who is the most "fun" artifact based commander?

last time we got art like this was alara.

also lorywn goblins are dope. uggo cute buggers that are friendly, despite the RB stereotyping we see now.

The counter is not on any numbers and does not move. It does nothing.

ah, gotcha. so he'd have an extra doom counter, but the counter wouldn't have a number.

makes sense.

proliferate will make another counter, but not on a number since baron specifies where it goes on etb and not otherwise. Baron Von Count is trigger based, not counter based like you think.

you want multiple etb trigger to get more counters where you want them, BUT you can trigger the countdown faster to skip a number and resulting player destroy with strionic resonator and the like.

>destroy target player

Goblin tiddy

Any voltron deck, since most everyone in the group wants to play "soft ally for the sake of time", it's usually a wrap by turn 4-6.

Glissa the traitor

>destroy target player

nice. so a baron that entered with a panharmonicon in play would let me destroy two players at once?

honestly the only reason i got mizzix

Wow, never seen that art up close but she is kinda cute for a goblin. Kinda. She still doesn't hold a candle up to facesitting mommy though.

yeah, but a resonate would only trigger once to move one of them, but you are probably going for the one big three player kill.

personally, im working on using him to mostly exploit the dash mechanic in addition to etbs/triggers. thinking with cost reducers and cloudstone currio i could fire it off faster while also having an aggro backup plan like haze of rage. the HARDEST part is finding low cost cards that have 5 in them at instant speed. there are the few cards that have all five numbers, but i want instant speed to pull off the kill when its my turn again.

Is there a way to build Queen Facesit that isn't control/pillowfort?
That resting bitch face compels me to build her.

y/n?

dark hair and eyes suit her better

That looks a lot worse. She isn't dressed for that coloration.

Looks like shit.

She's a card advantage engine in the command zone. She accommodates literally any kind of strategy you could possibly want to pull off in Mardu colors. She just tends to be thematically ideal for a pillowfort/control strategy.

Is storm the vault worth it for 9 bucks? The new rivals of ixalan card that flips into tolarian-lite. Just worried it will be like Itlimoc and go down to 5 bucks max or spike like hostage taker/scarab god.

you do not deserve to play femdom queen.

It'll probably go down in price, until someone breaks it in standard. I think it'll go down to 4/5.

bumpu

What is a decent and fun to play Wizard tribal deck for multiplayer?

Prime Speaker Zegana with Master Biomancer, Zameck Guildmage, Sage of Fables, and Fathom Mage
Become muscle wizards

Wizard precon Eminence grill

So an artbook leak confirmed Azor as the creator of the Immortal Sun and also mentioned that to create it, he had to give up his spark. So presumably, that means he's going to be a creature and not a planeswalker.
Who here is hype for Azor as a commander? I for one am ready to become the law.

Link/upload the leak?
If he's an interesting commander sure.
Same with the Minotaur.

Angrath is still a planeswalker.

Here's the relevant page.

Opinions on Vela?

Nice, another Sphnix general would be cool, especially if it's good.

For any RB EDH deck then as part of the 99.

I'm pretty sure people only ever want to build her because of the art. She's an incredibly boring card.

>Thread question
My friend and I both built Narset. Mine is much more cancerous so I don't play her unless the group feels like watching me play solitaire while they go and smoke until I declare victory

hes gonna be detain on crack, aint he?

Can Veeky Forums figure out how I (top player, playing next) won before the end of my next turn?

This UI is so bad ... honestly not even feeling like making an attempt lol

I hope so because detain felt so underused.

She seems all right but I never played her or seen anyone play her but the concepts look good.

This. Couldn't give a shit if I can't even read all the card names, much less see the art.

i made a bant turbo slime/lavina deck years ago. it made so many people salty because conjurers closet with acidic slime and lavina was pretty much lockdown gg.

But you can...

The board is much larger in a 2p game, aslo. I like Trice it because it costs absolutely nothing, I can brew whatever I feel like, games fire quickly, and ultimately the lack of rule enforcement makes it feel more like playing real magic and it makes you sharper as you have to watch for mistakes on your opponent's part.

Pity his website is broken. Would like to buy some art from him.

Just because you're used to that shit UI doesn't mean everyone is ...

I know they are like all bad but the level up cards usually have 4-5 different numbers on them so that might work.

>that feel when no idea what deck I want to make next

It doesn't translate well in a capture. We can't hover over cards, look through hands/graveyards like you can on the client. Just can't be bothered to figure out what the fuck is going on, user.

If you've played on any virtual mtg client you should be able to pick it up no prob. I actually really like the flow in cockatrice and the ability to point at shit. Pointing feels good.

Also it's not buggy like mtgo and very forgiving if you fuck up. Well that depends on the player I guess. The community can be pretty salty and each user has the ability to personally block/ban at will. It's funny though when kids lose to your meme decks then block you. And most people are either chill or just there for "tiers"

tl;dr just beause you can't into something doesn't mean it's objectively bad

No need to shill it bud, it just doesn't translate well to a still screenshot and I'm busting your balls about it cause it's 3am

Any advice on my Kaseto list?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-12-17-kaseto/

Omnath Locus of Coolade is pretty fucking awesome when playing Multiplayer. People always forget how powerful he is once he's up and running.

>because it costs absolutely nothing

Cock is love, cock is life

I want to try to make a boardstate where nobody can win or lose. Something like giving every player platinum angel and darksteel forge with hexproof.

What's the best nobody can win/lose combo and what commander would facilitate it

grusella using plat angel and that demon that prevents losing

gobs have wider asses and bigger tiddies due to their low height and center of gravity. its a scientific fact.

plus they come in bulk.

oh wow I didn't even think of that. That's actually really easy to pull off too.

Impact Tremors or Warstorm Surge?

One does pitiful damage, but is cheap and can be played ASAP, the other does more damage but I can't use it until much later because it's 6 cmc.

Pandemonium to throw a free for all bitchfest?

It really depends if you're generation a thousand tokens or playing huge creatures. If you're in RGx Sekki goes inf with Surge btw.

Enduring Ideal
Dovescape
Night Of Soul's Betrayal
O Rings or Purph Nodes as needed

Play Oloro or Zur

Tokens from Edgar Markov, so that clarifies the situation. I should have mentioned that.
I'm not so great generating a ton of tokens, but I can do some heavy lifting between Impact Tremors, and Blood Artist/Falkenrath Noble when I sac the tokens to Ashnod's Altar, so I don't have to go as big on one of my X spells.

I might save Warstorm Surge for if Rivals of Ixalan has enough big dinosaurs to justify making a Mayael deck.

If your group plays a reasonable suite of removal, then 6+cmc enchantments that do nothing the turn they come down are just going to be a lost turn.

Otherwise, pick weenies OR fatties and run the one that matches. Don't spread too thin.

You want Tremors, maaaaybe Pandemonium if you're feeling cheeky then. There's a vampire that drains on a vampire ETB too if I'm not mistaken.

is purphoros not in their? if you gameplan is tokens you get in damage about and get to pump dudes.

Impact Tremors is superior then because of Eminence from Markov.

I want to play a commander deck that works like a toolbox and can try to deal with most things that comes out, what should I go with?

bae

Think he'll be U/W or just mono color? Hopefully its not tribalshit and an interesting effect

It should be fucking UR since he's the namesake of the Azorius guild, ideally he has something to do with something like detain, because they wouldn't be able to reuse detain in the set unless they did for the Vampire side, or anything else that deals with locking things down.

>F cup
>H cup

*UW, it's newrly 5am here.

It's this time of the thread again.

Post a picture describing your favorite/most played/most recently played deck and other anons will try to guess what deck or commander is it.

I'll begin with something easy.

He's more expensive than I'm in the mood for, and my plan is to sac the tokens for mana.
If any Theros god, Erebos for a worse Greed effect, or better, Athreos so I can potentially sac and recast non-token creatures.

Are any of the zombie tribal commanders enjoyable to play?

>Thread question
Isamaru.

We have a very political, very battlecruiserish table, so mauling them with doggo is "unfair".

yeah true, youd want the draw or psuedo reanimator more. tokens is more like brownie points while the real vamps and aristocrats are the meat and potatoes.

>it's time for the smash smash song
I will never not be mad

Anyone got that pic from the last thread with queen face sit? The what I played/expected/got? It might help this user a bit

Good lord m8