Death of D&D

The end is, probably, not nigh for D&D. It's big, maybe bigger than it's ever been thanks to the popularization of (ugh) so-called nerd culture. Yet eventually everything must come to an end: our life, mankind, the universe itself. And so too D&D will end. Some day, someone will play the last game of Dungeons and Dragons.
But how, why and when will it come to pass? How do you see the self-proclaimed world's greatest roleplaying game ending?

I played my last game of DnD about 4 years ago. Never looked back. Star Wars FFG, Burning Wheel, Legend of the Five Rings... holy fuck, it's like I spent my whole life blind to games that were actually FUN.

As climate change renders the planet more and more inhospitable over the next century people will be too busy trying to survive for leisure activities built around the concept of simulating survival in dangerous conditions.

>In order to promote the involvement of youngsters in this post-apocalyptic world, World Leaders have decided to create government-sanctioned "guilds" that hand out "quests" such as fetching enough water before the giant cockroaches get to them
>They even create Fallout-esque power armor that serves no purpose but looks cool

It'll end when the last two grogs on the planet die of simultaneous heart attacks arguing about caster supremacy.

I wish I could get my players to switch like you.

>I bought into the meme and now have to shout that I'm having FUN! or I'll forget it's a lie
Neck yourself hispter scum

You seem angry that fun is a thing other people have. It's OK, you;re always welcome to join us, in games that don't suffer from wizards who can bypass the gameplay with spells, HP bloat, a levelling system that makes the game collapse 10 levels into 20 level progression, sacred-cow game design that refuses to dump it's worst baggage, useless martials, and so many other things that keep holding DnD back in the modern age.

Meh, I play AD&D 1e and that's it. I could care less if it dies.

AD&D and 1E are practically entire different games from the absolute dumpster fire 3E and it's successors turned into.

This thread is a troll thread. You're suppose to ignore it and the contrarian system war trolls.

You're pathetic.

The stars and Galaxies died and snuffed out, and space grew black after ten trillion years of running down.

One by one the players fused with DM, each physical body losing its mental identity in a manner that was somehow not a loss but a gain.

Player's last mind paused before fusion, looking over a space that included nothing but the dregs of one last dark star and nothing besides but incredibly thin matter, agitated randomly by the tag ends of heat wearing out, asymptotically, to the absolute zero.

Player said, "DM, is this the end? Can this LARPing not be reversed into the original RPG once more? Can that not be done?"

DM said, "THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."

Player's last mind fused and only DM existed -- and that in hyperspace.

Matter and energy had ended and with it, space and time. Even DM existed only for the sake of the one last question that it had never answered from the time a half-drunken player ten trillion years before had asked the question of a player that was to DM far less than was a level 1 PC to a Demi-God.

All other questions had been answered, and until this last question was answered also, DM might not release his consciousness.

All collected data had come to a final end. Nothing was left to be collected.

But all collected data had yet to be completely correlated and put together in all possible relationships.

A timeless interval was spent in doing that.

And it came to pass that DM learned how to reverse the direction of normizilation.

But there was now no player to whom DM might give the answer of the last question. No matter. The answer -- by demonstration -- would take care of that, too.

For another timeless interval, DM thought how best to do this. Carefully, DM organized the game.

The consciousness of DM encompassed all of what had once been a D&D Universe and brooded over what was now Chaos. Step by step, it must be done.

And AC said, "THROW THE D20"

And there was a nat 20----

REPORT WOTCPOSTER'S POSTS
DO NOT REPLY TO WOTCPOSTER

top tier taste

In the end, Bill will come back and murder everyone.

>HP Bloat

Opinion.
Discarded.

>but the system won't break

TOP KEK.

>People are still playing it 17 years later
>it's more popular than anything short of 5e

Looks like it really does hold up.

go home wotcposter

Well duh. TSR games are about strategy and player problem-solving. WotC games are about tactics and character ability.

Are you guys just the OSR general, and super pissed that your general just limps along, taking days to reach the bump limit, while the 5e and Pathfinder generals go through multiple threads a day?

Is it just pure, undilluted bitterness and envy that compels you?

go home wotcposter