/STG/ - Star Trek General

Retcon Gun Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy
-Official Gale Force Nine Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Star Trek: Fleet Captain
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/star-trek-fleet-captains/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

continuingmissionsta.wordpress.com/2017/11/12/spaceship-sunday-daedalus/
continuingmissionsta.wordpress.com/
vimeo.com/9172863
14062642.weebly.talkiforum.com/20171003/fast-starship-creation-rules-5537604/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

on the topic of the image in the OP, does that make Star Trek one of the few settings where something that can retcon the setting exists in universe?

One of? Yes. Few? lolno.

I guess I do not know enough settings then.

Any setting which has time travel, anything all-powerful, any god/diety/personification of time, or any realm outside the universe is capable of self-retcon.

It's comic books' bread and butter, but not much seen in TV and films.

That might be why I'm not that familiar with many examples, I don't really read comics, never have.

So if Kobali die do they just get re-Kobali'd?

If memory serves me right, they cant Kobali a dead Kobali, for some reason.

It’s because they’d find seeing their loved ones reanimated as someone else distressing. Imagine that.
Shitposting aside, there’s certainly a point where a body is too far gone to be used.

I always just assumed the problem that forced them to become body snatchers had something to do with cloning. So maybe their DNA is so fucked that they can't reanimate it.

I don't think they make an appearance in soft canon anywhere other than STO, which said it had something to do with fucked up genetic engineering. So they can turn others into Kobali but can't reanimate themselves. Presumably this also prevents a solution involving cloning.

Anybody else seen the Black Mirror episode, USS Callister?
I like it, for the most part. It captures how endlessly fucking creepy holodecks can be. I'm a bit dissapointed that the tech is handwaved over though, because Black Mirror is usually so good at making the wonder-tech being abused seem attainable. To compare to another episode, I think the mind copying tech from the s1 finale seemed much better thought out than the weird, saliva-3d-printer thing that Daly was using. I've watched on through 2 more episodes and, while I think Callister is decent, I still feel like it's the weakest episode in the show so far. Good premise, decent execution, but poor attention to detail.

Weyoun is sad that he has to bump the thread so early.

Clearly the solution is more cowb... posting images. Or being angry about something like Q's hair or possible names for a ship's cat.

A good story could be them freaking the fuck out because the Elachi are taking their dead bodies to convert into Elachi.

Nothing stopping them cloning other species for fresh bodies.

>Nothing stopping them cloning other species for fresh bodies.
Given that we know that 22nd century humans had cloning down (Up the Long Ladder), it should be relatively easy for the Kobali to get their hands on some simple cloning tech, even in the Delta Quadrant. Although they still run the risk of pissing species off if they they don't take kindly to cloning. Maybe they should buddy up with the Vidiians.

Simple. Clone brainless body. Mature it in a tank. Clone fresh brain at end of the maturation. Install brain. Cleanly kill. Infect.

Brain only had a few hours of "life" to loose and it's all reanimated in optimal conditions.

>A good story could be them freaking the fuck out because the Elachi are taking their dead bodies to convert into Elachi.
I don’t trust cryptic to pull that off well.

So what starship is most like a submarine?

Klingon birds of prey, Defiant and possibly some smaller Romulan ships.
In general, anything with a cloacking generator.

>cloacking
Your autocorrect has failed you, user.

Actually any ship can function like a sub when in a nebula or something. Remember the end of Wrath of Khan? That's fairly sub-like. In the absence of environmental factors though, you're probably looking at something with a cloaking device that is compact and not particularly tanky. I'd say something like a Shrike, a B'rel, or maybe a Defiant.

Anything with a cloak. The first Romulan episode, "Balance of Terror," was pretty blatantly lifted from "The Enemy Below" with elements of "Run Silent, Run Deep," both of which are submarine movies.

I know some of you guys were looking for a game of STA a bit ago. Just saw this on the on STA Facebook page. I'm already in a game though so I thought I'd share.

The similarities don’t stop there. The plot hook of racing to repair the ship before it is destroyed by environmental hazards is common across both genres.

Not to mention all those times where engineering the retcon is the main goal of the plot. The terrible Prince of Persia movie comes to mind, although similar stuff happens in the games without being the primary goal because the games were better written.

Thinking about it, erasing the past tends to be a bad guy goal, where the heroes are normally trying to maintain the status quo. Which is interesting, because the classic Hero's Journey is normally about defying the status quo and restoring an earlier balance.

Earlier ships feel more like submarines internally, if that’s what you mean. There’s even an episode or 2 of Enterprise where the crew are crammed into one of the nacelles and it actually feels exactly like a (budget) submarine set.

If this thread dies, would it be immoral of the Kobali to reanimate it?

Man. fuck the Kobali and their bullshit.

Best crew or best crew?

The captain is a murderous butcher married to Kirsten Dunst, so it fails.

How can that be when there was no war to commit war crimes in?

I liked the ending.

All I know is that they’d see it needs bumping and not bump it

>slow few days on stg
>decide to check out the tv threads
>oh... oh god
>decide to check the subreddit
>oh... oh god

I'm sorry, lads, I'll never betray you like that ever again.

So does STA have rules for Cardassians or are they a planned expansion?

It has rules for Cardassian NPCs and provides modifiers for Cardassians characters, I assume they'll be fleshing them out more in expansions.

NPC only. PC rules will (probably) be in the Alpha Quadrant sourcebook.

It's in the schedule but doesn't have a release date. Before that, there is going to be the Command sourcebook, Beta Quadrant book, and the Operations book.

If the Elachi can be assimilated then this could turn out very, very silly.

Kobali enter into a mutually benificial relationship with Klingons or other culture that is happy to hand over their dead.

Kobali after decades/centuries (or however long they live for) hand over their dead to the Elachi to cultivate Elachi.

The Elachi, when approaching the end of their natural life, approach a member of the Borg Cooperative and ask to join.

Klingon (or whoever), Kobali, Elachi and Borg all living together in one big weird but happy-ish family.

That spammer got banned though just now on /tv/. It was just one guy shitposting really bad memes

>shitposting really bad memes
That's all of /tv/ though

True but idk if you saw them it was like some guy took it to the extreme

>Maybe they should buddy up with the Vidiians
Then they really would just be zombies

I wonder if Shatner shitposts in the /tv/ Trek threads.

Probably. I bet he is the guy that says more Kirk memes

Is the Phage contagious to non-Vidiians? I don't recall it being contagious. So maybe getting Kobalified could work out for them.

the pdf collection is lacking the core book

It gets taken down with judicious efficiency so we stopped bothering. Some of the posters on here can send it to you if you want.

What do you mean it gets taken down? why?

They're being quite proactive with the copyright take-downs.

shiieeeett

Given time they might chill out with it. As expansions come out and all that.

I'm too unadventurous to go look myself. What exactly goes on in those places that is so distasteful?

If selling copies of a book you wrote was your sole source of income don't you think you'd try to limit the ways people could get a copy without paying you?

nah pirates dindu nuffin

Doubt it, Star Trek as a licence is very not cheap.

And yet given the quality of most of the novels valued so little.

>possible names for a ship's cat.
careful now. I seem to recall a "Starfleet is/isn't a military"-tier argument about Catians stemming from basically that.

On the Ophion our ship counselor is an Orion who through a genetic mutation only has the pheromone ability to affect cats. She uses them an a therapy aid. I jokingly raised the question on her her affecting Caitians but didn't get a solid answer. Not sure if the cats have names though,

Is Data's foreshadowing at the end of 'Conspiracy', where he mentions that the mother alien sent out a homing signal to others of its species, ever followed up on in any books or comics or anything?

STO followed up.

Yes. They're a sister species to the Trill symbiont. There's a shadow civil war going on between them in the books.

In STO they get made into a catspaw of the Iconians which happens to basically a lot of the bad guy races. The Elachi, the Vaadwaur.

In the novels they're genetically engineered Trill offspring that basically end up being Yeerks but deadlier. In STO they're genetically engineered Iconian creations that are one subspecies of an entire group of Starship Troopers ripoffs.

>the Iconians
>genetically engineered Iconian

Ok, so for those of us who've not played STO (because fuck MMOs), what's the Iconian's deal? Are they just dicks for fun or do they have some reason they're trying to conquer everything everywhere?

What they said, but originally it was supposed to summon the Borg, and originally the Borg were insect dudes.

The Iconians used to be the most advanced species in the galaxy until a bunch of primative shitters managed to gang up and fuck them over, so they hi-tailed it over to Andromeda and spent the next 200,000 years planning their revenge. For some reason, their revenge involved a metric fuckton of infiltrations and usage of servitor races in order to make the various powers of the galaxy fuck each other over enough to weaken the galaxy enough for takeover, when they had technology strong enough to steamroll everyone such that the subterfuge wasn't necessary to begin with.

Basically they were an all powerful race that was killed off by the lower races because they wouldn't share their tech. yadda yadda yadda in STO because of time shenanigans you and Sela (Tasha Yar's Romulan rape baby and biggest mistake of TNG) go back into the past to prevent them from destroying the future. Sela decides she wants revenge because they blew up Hobus and destroyed Romulus. Of course this very act fo revenge is what makes them blow Hobus up in the first place. You end up grabbing the database of their collective knowledge the one thing the Iconians were trying to save in this past war, and the reason for their future war against the Milky Way races because they thought it was gone forever. You zip back to the future and go "Hey remember waaaay back then that one guy who wasn't a dick and was actually trying to help you? Yeah that was me btw here's your sphere of knowledge can we be friends now?" And the Iconians call off their assault except for one of them who promises to continue to attack the joined forces of everyone else.

so how much homebrew and stuff have people made for STA? what about hacking it for different settings?

Deleted my old post. Made a mistake in who's content that was. This is a good link to STA homebrew continuingmissionsta.wordpress.com/2017/11/12/spaceship-sunday-daedalus/

to clarify Jester does a lot of homebrew on that site but it's not all him.

Better Link
continuingmissionsta.wordpress.com/

vimeo.com/9172863

for you, my friends

They used to be a Federation-esque society, except that their bar for assisting races was much higher than them achieving warp travel. So they wouldn’t offer any sort of aid to their nearest neighbors, who seem to have had problems ranging from war and famine to plague.
Pissed off at this, and honestly just because they were assholes too, the alien races banded together to wipe out the iconians and take their technology for their own. Some time ridiculousness was also involved, incidentally making the Iconian extermination a part of the Temporal Cold War.
But the Iconians that escaped started scheming nefariously for far too long and are basically responsible for every terrible thing in Star Trek.
Unless someone were to destroy the K.I.S. Annorax, a Krenim Time ship. In which case the Iconians would have all died on Iconia and a bunch of dumb time shit would be permanently erased.

>Krenim
GOD DAMMIT why the fuck are they involved? Man, fuck Voyager. Did it give the franchise literally anything good?

Yes, it did. In fact, the Krenim is one of them. It's also the only episode to stand on its own, apart from any charismatic guest stars (which it did have in Red Foreman).

A bunch of depressing shit happens, then they fly into the reset button. There, I just described Year Of Hell in its entirety.

>They used to be a Federation-esque society, except that their bar for assisting races was much higher than them achieving warp travel. So they wouldn’t offer any sort of aid to their nearest neighbors, who seem to have had problems ranging from war and famine to plague.
On the contrary, they had a very Prime Directive-esque sense of aid. They helped people with famine and plague but wouldn't simply give those races the advanced technology out of fear they'd misuse it.

have they expounded on some basic spaceframe creation rules?

Like if i was homebrewing ships what kinda system numbers would i be looking for or whatnot

I don't homebrew so I wouldn't know what to tell you.
My best idea would be to choose a ship that's comparable to the one you want to make and tweak to your desire?

Talked to Jester and he passed me a link I now pass to you. Use it wisely user.
14062642.weebly.talkiforum.com/20171003/fast-starship-creation-rules-5537604/

That's actually super useful, sweet.

The original plan for it was a lot more fun (Making it actually a full season) but they ended up being forced to cut down on it so damn much.

>when they had technology strong enough to steamroll everyone such that the subterfuge wasn't necessary to begin with.

I think that a lot of it was that they were relentless paranoid to the degree they didn't want to leave anything to chance.