/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread:
How do you deal with high CHA PCs that think they can bullshit/persuade/etc. their way out of everything?

How bad would it be to combine the green hag and bheur hag for Nanny Pu'pu?

Tell them that if they do that then the many creatures with even higher charisma than them such as a devil might just say 'Give up fighting and go home' and the players would be forced to do that.

So I've been using this homebrew in my game and have found it to be slightly weak.

What can I do to beef it up a little? SHOULD I even make it stronger, or leave it slightly less powerful?

Maybe you should realize that riposte gives sneak attack and then compare it to the other classes and realize that it's a strong fucking one trick pony.
And then you should realize you should stop using shit homebrew. Hint: If you're not sure if the homebrew in question is shit, it's shit. If you are sure that the homebrew isn't shit, then you're fucking wrong, it's shit. Apply this rule to all new homebrew you find.

I would literally have the NPC's outright tell the the PC to fuck off if they're trying to convince them of something like not achieving their childhood dream or going forward with revenge that they have been training and plotting for year.

>that think they can bullshit/persuade/etc. their way out of everything?
Just tell them that shit doesn't fly. Persuasion isn't brainwashing.
Just because I can persuade someone to give me 5 bucks doesn't mean I can persuade them to go jump off a building.

>riposte gives sneak attack damage
No it doesn't?
'Riposte. When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.'
'Sneak Attack. Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.'

There IS a maneuver that grants SA damage, Feinting Attack, but it requires it to be your turn AND it uses a bonus action.

Turn =/= Round. Rogues can sneak attack on attacks of opportunity.

>It's another 'I don't know how 5e works but I'm going to throw a load of homebrew into my game anyway' episode

People should realize that 5e is subtly different to previous editions. Playing with an earlier edition's assumptions in mind will lead to a bad and frustrating time.

>How do you deal with high CHA PCs that think they can bullshit/persuade/etc. their way out of everything?

Start making them roll Will saves against opponents attempting to charm/persuade/intimidate them. They'll quickly realize how bullshit this "Charisma=Mind Control" thing is.

That's not the argument here. Nothing about riposte itself fulfills the requirement for applying sneak attack to the damage roll itself.

>People should realize that 5e is subtly different to previous editions

Actually, the sneak attack thing is a holdover from 4e (Which made Rogues fucking terrifying if they had a Warlord buddy to hand out a lot of extra attacks outside their turn).

Nothing prevents it however though. If the rogue has a rapier and the other guy is providing advantage (Pretty common), he's getting sneak attack on that riposte.

Clearly he's talking about the edition as a whole.

Right, but you cannot make the assumption or balance around the idea that you're always going to have somebody there to turn on your sneak attack on a riposte - even still, if you're trying to one trick riposte spam, that means you're getting attacked. Which is kind of bad for a rogue with a d8 hit die.

How do you deal with low CHA PC players that think they can bullshit/persuade/etc. their way out of everything?

So what homebrew besides my own is not trash?

Why are melee classes so boring? What's the point of leveling a Warrior or a Barbarian when by the time you're actually fighting planar threats the full casters are the ones doing all the heavy lifting, both in combat and outside?

Yes but it's still an issue as it vastly increases the offence. That's sorta the problem, it's the basis for a very, very powerful combo that's not really very hard to pull off.

I just created my latest charcther and I'm already creating a replacement for when he dues I just need to know if some one can be a half elf if only there grandfather was a elf

Because 3.fags complained in the public playtest that martials were too complicated and that they just wanted to hit things with swords.

These people the unironically played wizards after the game officially came out.

Logically speaking? Only if their grandfather was a double elf.
Practically speaking? You can if your DM lets you.

Goddamn fucking autists.

Because DnD is a game about magic where 90% of your options in the game from magic. An entire third of the PHB is devoted to spells alone.

This in mind, martial only exist as a way for grognards to feel superior to new players who get told that it's cool to ply a Fighter only to realize they have no options or roleplaying agency later.

It also doesn't help that Mearls and Crawford have a fetish for wizards and keep giving them more and more content while ignoring martials completely.

Is Menacing worth it?

Because DnD is trying to be a casual rules-lite game (martials) while also trying to be a deep and complex strategy game (casters) at the same time.

Unfortunately it fails at both. It's like trying to run a Star Wars game where regular dudes with blasters are expected to be able to compete with Jedi Masters and Sith Lords somehow.

>Named after heavy armored warriors of old
>Is a rogue archetype with unarmored defense

I feel like there's nothing in this class a Battlemaster Fighter / Swashbuckler Rogue wouldn't meet.

Also, "you can sneak attack with any weapon you're proficient with" so you can sneak attack with a greatsword? Are you insane?

How would you build an orc Blademaster from warcraft, Veeky Forums?

I have a player in my table that is asking to use some homemade stuff but I'm not sure.

Battlemaster Fighter / Totem Barbarian?
Samurai Fighter?
Pure Barbarian?

>a whole 2.5 extra average damage over a rapier.
Wow, such insanity.

Oh, I guess they could also pick up GWM, but you don't want to do that anyways since it reduces your chance to hit and actually apply sneak attack damage.

If anything, it just makes the class more MAD since a greatsword rogue would require Strength to hit and deal damage, and Dex/Wis for AC.

Would you allow this?

My forge cleric wants to transmute 100 gold pieces into a platinum tooth with an outer tooth shell so that it looks just like a normal tooth.

His reasoning is that if he ever gets locked up he can then transmute it back into weapons or other useful objects.

Samurai Fighter. Add Barbarian to taste.

Sounds fun, I'd allow it.

>if he ever gets locked up
Is he planning to keep it in his mouth?
Does your setting have dentistry advanced enough for artificial tooth implants? I'm not sure there are any spells that would let you root a fake tooth in a socket.

We've had dentures since 700bc. I'd imagine he could just brace it with a thin but strong strand of metal along the inside of the teeth to all the other teeth.

I had a retainer once and it was the only thing that held some of my baby teeth in my mouth.

Why stop there? Over time he should be able to bind adamantium to all his bones.

>How do you deal with high CHA PCs that think they can bullshit/persuade/etc. their way out of everything?
Even if you have high CHA, you still need to roleplay the situation and provide good reasons for persuasion, deception, etc. It's like finding a puzzle and instead of actually solving it in game, you roll an Intelligence check. If these things happen, it's the fucking DM's fault.

Who would play a fighter if
>i attack the monster
>it uses countersword, you lose your attack
>it uses dispel sword, your sword disappears

Casters are truly the most unreliable class.

I'm curious now as to how one would do that, and what the effects would be.

>it uses countersword, you lose your attack

You mean Bo9S Counters/4e immediate interrupts? Those were fucking awesome.

The real way to balance martial and casters is to make a lot of magic weapons and armor that do shit besides adding X to damage rolls or AC for martials to use and make them really common.

I'd allow it, but make him roll for it with a chance that he might totally fuck it up and waste the materials. It seems like it'd be too intricate to allow it under the spell description unless he also also had proficiency in jeweler's tools.

DMs of /5eg/:

If I take an enemy that only has access to the Wizard spell list and I swap out some of his Wizard spells for Warlock/Bard spells, am I fucking up big time? Would it be okay to do this or no?

Parries and sunders?

Yeah that'd be neat.

>Humans beleive in a civilized !NotChristianity
>A different race believes in Irish Paganism, with it's church making up a mix of way of the ancient paladins, druids, nature clerics, and fae warlocks
>Last race is very inidivudal. Focusing on the power of man alone rather than gods or occultism, doesn't beleive in the afterlife, and that anyone can change thier fate.
What races would fit best for the last two, boys? Preferably they're all human like similiar to dwarves, halflings, and giants. I've been thinking of Dwarves for the Irish Pagans and Giants for the Indiviuality centrics but it would feel weird for Giants to be so civilized to have that kind of philosophy and for Dwarves to be so tree-hugging.

Fedoraism should be followed by tieflings or somesuch. Make sure they use katanas exclusively.

See, but at that moment you've got a good obvious chance for roll reversal right here if you make the Dwarves Pagan, by making your Elves the last group.

The Humans, with the shortest life span look for a uniting higher power.
The Dwarves with the medium life span, take wonder in the world they've watched and taking care of the world.
The Elves, with the longest think only they themselves can save themselves.

You can keep the DWARF HATE ELF dynamic but instead it's the Elves who sacrifice everything in pursuits of self improvement while the Dwarves wish to preserve the world and tradition

>DMs of /5eg/:
>If I take an enemy that only has access to the Wizard spell list and I swap out some of his Wizard spells for Warlock/Bard spells, am I fucking up big time? Would it be okay to do this or no?
Yes that's fine. Still being a pussy about fucking up though. You will fuck up eventually and you have to learn how to improvise around your fuck ups.

Enemies don't follow the rules. Following the rules is for players so they feel like they are "building" a character. Enemies are what thethey need to be.

So I hear a lot of people saying that pact of tome for the warlock blows pact of chain out of the water. I was wondering why this is such a popular opinion because it seems like it's only the superior choice if you use up one of your limited invocation slots on it and if you're playing in a campaign where access to spell scrolls especially ones from non-wizard classes are a thing. Can anyone explain how this makes tome the best choice if it's so circumstantial?

c o f f e e l o c k

Will any DM actually let you get away with not taking a level of exhaustion without a long rest? This seems like a RAW that few actual games will tolerate. Also... multiclassing

Has anyone's character reached a level they can raise dead or reincarnate? What impact does it have on your party progress?

No long rests granting exhaustion (after failing a DC10 Con save) is a Xanathar's variant rule that is specifically talking about skipping sleep as part of a long rest. That rule can be interpreted as still being counteracted by Aspect of the Moon.

However, if your DM still insists that skipping long rests puts you in danger of exhaustion, then you can either become addicted to diamond dust and Greater Restorations, or just skip sleeping for a few days to build up your arsenal in preparation for a big fight and then sleep afterward.

Nothing in RAW prevents coffeelock from working as intended.

I also have a coffeelock in my own game that I DM and it's honestly not all that disruptive. A little bit of creative encounter design and well-placed antimagic cuts their effectiveness well enough that the other players are not just getting left in the dust,

Human Tempest cleric with resilient (con) at level 1 and polearm master at 4.
Battle plan is fighting with a pike from behind the martials and hoping PAM kills whatever tries to close in on me while keeping up bless/spirit guardians and casting command to trigger 2 or more attacks of opportunity.

How does it look? It seems a bit reaction heavy to me.
I gave up on Booming blade even if it works thematically since I want to use a pike for aesthetics and avoiding the frontline.

>too much of a brainlet for druid, sorcerer, warlock, wizard
>too socially retarded for bard or rogue
>don't understand religion and how to incorporate it into a character for cleric or paladin
>barbarian and fighter are too boring
it hurts /5eg/, it hurts... I just want to have fun in a tabletop game.

>chad caster and virgin martial
Oh how the turn tables

>No long rests granting exhaustion (after failing a DC10 Con save) is a Xanathar's variant rule that is specifically talking about skipping sleep as part of a long rest. That rule can be interpreted as still being counteracted by Aspect of the Moon.

Aspect of the moon states that you still need to rest for 8 hours doing light activity. If you don't, you must abide by the DC10+ CON save rule.

>not counterspelling the counterspell
Friendless brainlet detected

>you must abide by the rule
Only if your DM chooses to use that VARIANT RULE.

If you want to have fun, choose anything and just H A V E F U N (TM). The classes are just an excuse for everybody except min-maxers and thatguys.

Play a Ranger or a Monk

True. My DM simply gives 1 exhaustion level if you skip 1 long rest.

I guess ranger is more your speed.

okay so the coffeelockisraw meme is just as legitimate as the chainlocksfamiliargetmagicresistance meme...

go rogue but don't pick social skills
you could either go WIS for a wilderness theme or INT for knowledge and smarts

I feel like 5E would be a lot stronger if the DMG had a detailed non-class progression for martials that GMs could follow.

Like by the time Casters are starting to get 4th and 5th level spells (which is when the divide actually starts becoming extremely noticeable and left in the dust) martials should be given plot hooks that allows them to ascend to demigod/superhero status through a series of boons and magic items that they need to work to obtain.

What's a will save?

>Like by the time Casters are starting to get 4th and 5th level spells (which is when the divide actually starts becoming extremely noticeable and left in the dust) martials should be given plot hooks that allows them to ascend to demigod/superhero status through a series of boons and magic items that they need to work to obtain.
I thought that any class can potentially ascend.

Paladins don't need religion.

Sure, the system could easily work for casters as well, but it would have diminishing effects since a lot of a caster's power would be baked into their class already.

>playing the two most dead weight classes in the game

Hunters are fine and Monks are pretty useful members of the group with stunning strike

Play more intead of memeing here

kensei monk fits too, just refluff his flurry of blows as quick sword attacks

Imho this is one of the places 5e fucked up. You gain all those powers simply because you believe?? Pic related.

Monks suck, but they're not dead weight. The can stun the enemies a few times before they die horribly because they're a martial with a D8 hit dice and no heavy armor proficiency.

Also, the most dead-weight class is a Warlock in a campaign where you're not getting alot of rests. After they blow the 2 spell slots they're gonna have for half their existence, they're basically just a squishy turret with middling HP and a means of attack that's easy to block or counterspell. A fighter with Crossbow Mastery is literally better at that point.

>You gain all those powers simply because you believe??
Not even that, you just say "I'll never have sex" and boom, paladin

>inhales
Akchuallee i think that ascension should provide powers not found in full casters (resistances, advantages, etc) but semi-divine powers that transend mortality.

What's a better feat for a tanky human totem barbarian? Shield Master or Sentinel?

B-b-but coffeelock...

I think they're even, with chain being better for creative players and tome being better for less creative players. However, the strong argument for tome is ritual casting, which directly addresses the warlocks biggest weakness: spell slot competition.

do you have a partner with GWM? If yes go shield master, if you don't pick sentinel
Sentinel is better for protecting your party and shield master is for helping the other melees chance to hit

Oh, it's not that. It's a divine oath thing.

Your paladin doesn't just believe, they've sworn an oath that's so important that it gifted them with divine power. Of course, it's also the case that merely preparing to swear the oath has power, hence them getting abilities at level 1 & 2.

I do have a greatsword buddy, so thanks, that's really helpful.

I did something similar to this for a rogue in my group. The party was around level 9 and my player was confessing to me that he thought the class was incredibly boring after such a while and that he wanted to retire it.

I convinced him to let me give him a chance to feel more engaged so a little bit later in the campaign they ran afoul a trickster spirit that took a shine to him and led them through a series of quests that granted him a few magic goodies that increased his utility (It was really important to not strictly increase his single target damage because it was already quite good.), before the spirit revealed itself to be the spark of a demigod and merged with him completely granting him a couple of really good boons. (Boon of Dimensional Travel, Boon of Night Spirit, Boon Fate.)

Also made sure to give you a few goodies to the rest of the party so they didn't feel like they didn't have the spotlight.

>i swear that i will protect all lifeforms
>no matter which planet they come from
Boom! Summon flying disc as steed, hit with radiant damage. Pls.

Good work user. 10/10 would appreciate.

So, sounds like the Oath of Devotion.

So have fun never lying or cheating, protecting everyone, showing mercy to foes, maximising good while minimising harm, and enjoying responsibility for your own actions while obeying authority figures.

Because you're a paladin now, and those Oaths matter.

After i level up i will gain reincarnate. I have stored a lot of gp to buy components and i'm ready to make my party undying (at the cost of changing race).

Hey, you happen to agree with D&D creators. I'm old school. You get divine power only if you suck divine cock. Not lying and not cheating the missus will not get you superpowers.

>City building right now for my Campaign for the hub city

IT'S SO FUN FIGURING OUT WHAT RACES WILL TEND TO HANG OUT WHERE

How do I run a chaos warlock without being an edgelord of chaotic dumbass?

You can't.
>what's a chaos warlock?

The fuck is a "chaos warlock"? Sounds like retarded homebrew.

Anyway, there's only one way to run warlocks anyway. Agonizing Blast + Repelling Blast. Devil's Sight if you wana be an asshole and fuck over the rest of your Party with Darkness. Your class is a turret, deal with it.

>"If you go left here, you'll end up in Little Erebor, where the dwarves congregate. Two streets up and to the right, it's the local Elftown. But don't turn to the left, that leads to Orcham. You're likely to get stabbed there."

Chaos warlock is from Xan’s lost notes on everything else

>You can’t
Yeah I was afraid of that

>using a sword
Luxury

>Xan's LOST Notes on Everything Else?

So... retarded Homebrew then. That you're expected to pay for even though it's not first party? Shit nigga, what the fuck are you doing?

Just read it. Edgy bullshit.