/wfg/ Warhammer Fantasy General

Metal is life

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/2EJLZq7a
WFRP: pastebin.com/NX6t6eYa
Novels: pastebin.com/bgy1rqd6

>We're looking for these novels for the archive:
pastebin.com/t5kdcfVm

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/WQTJDtUV

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

>Warhammer Video Games
pastebin.com/396cm1Jp

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

www7.zippyshare.com/v/hSkUKykm/file.html
youtu.be/xuCn8ux2gbs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_King_Gesar#Etymology_of_the_name
manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/abyssal-dwarfs.html
gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/en/empire/103-caja-caballeria-pesada.html
liberfanatica.net/Tilea-Estalia.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>these doesn't feel like Fantasy at all.
To me they look like they could've been picked straight out of the pages of Liber Chaotica or Tamurkhan.

>Warhammer elves aren't immortal
Did they change that at some point? I feel like that was the case back when I played over 10 years ago.

I could swear I remember I believe the 6th edition rulebook talking about how elves do live for thousands of years on average. But then there are powerful elves like Tyrion and Teclis and Malekith who do seem effectively immortal.

Apparently elves kind of love for thousands of years and die when they themselves decide to die.
They live at least one thousand yeas for sure

Well Tyrion and Teclis are like, I think around 300.

Is there a better scan of this map or one similar somewhere? Google only has smaller or general borders ones.

I myself tend to not pick a dispel scroll in games under 2000points. That's just a personal preference though.

Yeah, it's might as well be useless,but also very important. You don't want that chrap 3d6 fireball hitting your main unit in a game this small.

I don't know how quote from previous thread, but to that troll guy: common trolld can be taken in units of 1+, stone and river trolls 3+.

I'm planning to buy a oop unit of ruglud's armoured orcs and use them with that Swedish guy's project rules. They look fantastic, and crossbow fire really helps im chaff wars.

I'll edit my list if I have time during my break.

*cheap 3d6 fireball

>I don't know how quote from previous thread
Just copy the # of the post and make sure that >> is infront of it.

>ruglud's armoured orcs
NOICE

In case you were that guy, I compiled it to a pdf, maybe nobody bothered to upload it anywhere.

I was. I went to download it to my phone and compare the older models for some painting ideas, and saw the book still cut out the model section.

The mega guy must not have it. Any chance mega guy is here today?

Speaking of the Warhammer Armies Project.

Since most my exposure to WHFB was through Mordheim, I have a hodgepodge of stuff but little coherent to turn into a regular army. I'm considering trying out the unofficial rules for Dogs of War. Are there any notable things I should be aware of? Some stuff looks more exploitable than others (Scorpion Batteries, comboing "The Best Money Can Buy" on certain units, Domingo's Arbalest, etc) and I want to make sure the army isn't too fanwankish.

Alright, here is an upload, maybe someone shows up later.
www7.zippyshare.com/v/hSkUKykm/file.html

Elves definitely get old and age with time. Hellebron is the most obvious example, but even Morathi needs the best cauldron to keep her looks up.

Thanks.

I don't really understand how you can say that with a straight face when somehow Bretonnia is feudal, and in the past the Empire was feudal.

I think he might be insinuating that the idea of our version of feudalism manifesting in the Old World without the Roman Empire equivalent to lay the foundation is nonsensical.

I want to get into Chaos Dwarves, but the Forge World infantry is too expensive. How good are the Russian Alternative models?

Where is my saturday morning cartoon where Skaven from each major clan are best "friends" and go on adventures that teach important moral lessons?

Try Fraggle Rock?

I’m new to fantasy, what can I play these dudes in that’s like kill team/skirmish type games.

Also what do I proxy foot knights as, as they have no rules.

Mordheim. Look it up in the resources.

Any good empire knight proxies? I checked out perry miniatures, but those seem a little small.

What real life human cultures would have been better for the empire to take after than HRE? I just find the aesthetic extremely boring and bland, especially when compared to the other fantastical elements of the setting. The knights and some elite units are fine, but the fucking pajamas and floppy hats just ruin it

>but the fucking pajamas and floppy hats just ruin it

If you dont like death obsessed Landsknecht fashion and the hats im afraid you just have bad taste.

That's why we had Bretonnia, Kislev, Tilea and Estalia. GW just failed to keep them around and relevant after the 6'th edition.

>I think he might be insinuating that the idea of our version of feudalism manifesting in the Old World without the Roman Empire equivalent to lay the foundation is nonsensical.
I'm not saying that it's necessarily nonsensical, but that something akin to the societal changes brought on by the slow fall of the WRE would likely have had to happen for it to develop. This ofc means that it's quite implausible to assume that some of the Norscan states would be feudal.

I think it's mostly a result of a lot of GW writers not being quite the historical scholars that some people on Veeky Forums make them out to be.

I'm a little ignorant on this topic, so this is a question rather than an argument: But wasn't Russia Feudal during the middle ages as well? And I didn't think the Roman Empire reached them before the fall

The East Roman Empire didn't fall until the late middle ages.

Right, but did they extend all the way into Russia? Also, earlier the user said that the Fall of the Empire is what gave way and was necessary to the rise of Feudalism, so if the Eastern Empire didn't fall until the Late Middle Ages, how could it have given way to Feudalism several hundred years before then?

I know next to nothing about russian history but if I'm not mistaken they had alot of connection with western europe before the mongol conquest. For a similar reason Sweden also developed a semi-feudal society. As far as I'm aware Norsca haven't, probaly for reasons of style, been influenced by the Empire (or Bretonnia) in any meaningful way that would affect how they organise their societies.
Ofc, in the end it's all make believe so whatever floats your boat.

There was a (sadly derailed and abandoned IMHO) thread a month or so ago about if the Empire was an exaggerated notOttoman Empire instead of NotGermany, due to being the other notable civilization with a love of giant cannons and outrageous hats. It would make a Sylvanian rebellion more plausible in context.

It also suggested making the Blood Dragons the Vampire Counts equivalent of the Assassins, kidnapping the best warriors and tasking them with eliminating trouble targets before being ascended as immortal. So notAlamut instead of Blood Keep.

I'm not all that educated on the subject, but Russia did adopt the Orthodox church from the Byzantine. So they did have some kind of respect for their culture and prestige.

If I was Lindybeige and made wild guesses I would probably assume that they viewed the Byzantines as the model for prestige and status. So they would probably want to emulate things from their culture.

Remember, Russians got the name of their emperors, Czar, from the Roman title Caesar.
And the Germans of course based the Kaiser off the Latin pronunciation of Caesar. Which was similar, but has a soft S sound, not the Z sound. Kai-ssar.

The Eastern Roman Empire (ERE) had centuries of interaction with russia, they even married off one of their princesses to the ruler of Kievan Rus, which I believe was the only time roman royalty married a barbarian.

By the Fall of the Roman Empire I was refering to the fall of the Western Roman Empire (WRE). People are usually eurocentric enough to get that but as a EREboo I can't say that I'm not happy about you not making that assumption.
The situation in the WRE and ERE were quite different. While both had a hard time around the Fall of the WRE the ERE managed to ride out the storm and lasted for about 800 more years.

I like RA, I got their femOrcs though. Both in both resin and metal.

They’re good.

Believe it or not, HRE is what made Warhammer.

It was an aesthetic nobody had done in fantasy. Hell, fantasy in general hadn’t been done realistically, it was mostly Arthurian or mystically alien. Warhamner boomed because it drew in people sick of the generic as well as the historical fans.

Warhammer already has a medieval expy for most European groups other than British and Roman. Romans just never existed for some reason with Tilea based on Empire rather than the other way around, and Albion is in pre-bronze age. The other Germanic root countries are just generic Chaos vikings.

Yes, that is accurate. Russian court customs remained Byzantine until Peter the Great, and the Russians claimed to be the "Third Rome" until the fall of the Tsar.

Just a nitpick, but I really don't like that particular spelling of Tsar. It's probably more accurate from a linguistic standpoint, but it's not very close to the phonetic spelling. I prefer the Tsar spelling, because the letter at the beginning of the word is actually pronounced "ts", with the t not being silent. It's the same letter you'd see at the end of a word like "molodyets."

>Tsar
I agree, I just used the Old spelling to highlight the connection to the Roman title.

I may want to build a Giant or two for a game. What is its scale compared to, say, an Ogre?

To put it simply, Rissua was really slow getting going. They had a shitload of trade princes ruling everything, and were damn near Arabian in havibg trade hubs surrounded by dirt poor tribals.

The trade princes united when faced by the growing power of everyone else, and tried to decide who to copy. They told the Muslims and Eastern Orthodox they’d hold essentially an auction for the souls of Russia, and the EO bid higher so the Muslims got pissed and invaded. This forced Russians to unite militarily, going from unofficial city states into being a united but fractious monarchy. This also influenced the Muslims in regards to Iberia, essentially creating the kebab/cross animosity and the odd history of Spain.

Meme history to go with your meme history.

youtu.be/xuCn8ux2gbs

I really need to read up on Byzantine and Russian history.

it still hasn't be done justice apart from warhammer.

It's kinda poetic that total war's oldest reviews are most notable in mentioning that it is a fresh spin on a genre that is beginning to get stale (RTS) and warhammer was the same for fantasy humans. It is only poetic that Warhammer fantasy will be entombed in a digital sarcophagus where the person at the center of the screen is the emperor of the !HRE

To east europe the ERE was the cultural hegemon. Some of the more crafty of the states tried to play out the franks against the ERE to maximise their own gains.

The swedish word for emperor, 'kejsare', is also derivative of Caesar. 'Emperor' meanwhile comes from the title of 'Imperator' which roughly means Commander.
Fun fact: Rome didn't officially have an emperor before the late third century. Up untill then imperial power was actually made up out of a myriad of republican titles which the 'emperor' held. Thus, the ruler of the roman empire during this era were refered to as Princep, i.e 'The First (of equals)' which is where we get the title prince from.

Was that because Julius Caesar's son played it smart and acted more humble than his father?

I highly recommend the History of Byzantium-podcast. It's the bee's knees and a very apt successor to Mike Duncan's History of Rome.

This one is a little larger.

I'd recommend "Russia: People and Empire" by Geoffrey Hosking.

Yes, Augustus set up imperial power in a way that allowed him to rule as a monarch without getting tagged as a king by feigning a continuation and rekindling of the republic.
Incidentally, this is another reason to hate the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Thanks, user. I will bookmark it for future use.

I will have to remember that for future reading.

To be fair, the Empire being the HRE only came into being in 3rd edition. 2nd Edition Empire was at the same high medieval level as Bretonnia usually is. The Tragedy of McDeath has East Albion at around the same level, which is unsurprising since it's a Shakespearian pastiche played on a table.

I had no idea Parravon was so close to Athel Loren. I always figured Quenelles was closer.

Was this also around the same time when they invented the Fimir and Soats to stand out from DnD?

Latin c was a k tho but vulgar latin c is a more modern c

But vulgar Latin is for fucking plebeians.
[Spoiler]Literally[/spoiler]

Welp. Fucked up me spoiler tags. I ha r the excuse of being a phone posting faggpt.

I know but we ain't no plebs

Thanks senpai. How accurate is it now anyway, AoS not withstanding? Looks pretty old but it was the best map of Athel Loren I could find compared to Total war's minimalist one.

The Fimir and Zoats first appear in 3rd Ed, yes.

Thanks btw. I appreciate this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_King_Gesar#Etymology_of_the_name

Caesar really got around.

That is pretty fucking interesting.

bump

That was posted in the 8th Edition rulebook.

Why were they never on tabletop?

Did anyone ever want them on the tabletop? This is something so old only the most dedicated dwarf fans really care about it. Like Bretonnians occasionally going 'you know, cannons weren't really that bad' because they want their Brets to be cool like all the other kids.

I recommend reading battle reports on the matter. There used to be a DoW forum that was fond of that project army list and.

One or more of only three reasons GW never did something.
1) “Balance”, they didn’t need them to force the playstyle they felt was correct.
2) Nobody wanted to write about them, or someone felt they don’t fit the theme.
3) Nobody wanted to sculpt them.

>Did anyone ever want them on the tabletop?

Yes.

I'm guessing they couldn't think of anything for them that didn't amount to an ushtabi.

Saving them for Total War.

How do you use a Wyvern in a friendly cannonless environment? How the do you keep it alive in any kind of combat?

Flank charging, target mitigation, avoid high Strength foes.

Pretty sure they were there in 1st or 2nd Edition, and you could use those 54mm plastic dwarfs as proxies.

hey user that looks like a perfect army for Regiments of Renown for 8th ed, also in pastebin.

It's easier to get into than mordheim(you need less terrain haha) as much as I love mordheim and has semi persistant stats for your leader. Games go fairly fast too.
Pic related is a wood elf warband I played earlier in the month against.

mantic do a chaos dwarf line, make of that what you will user
manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/abyssal-dwarfs.html

have you tried checking gamezone?
gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/en/empire/103-caja-caballeria-pesada.html

apart from that just scour ebay for old knights and repurpose them lad.

as user mentions
charge weaker enemies/range units, have it join in existing combats against scarier melee blocks.

Coming to TW WH when?

Perry Men at Arms?

You'd think it'd actually make for a great 'cavalry' mount for Dwarf lords.

I don't know why the lizardmen appeal to me but they just do

shamanistic future lizards from the past I guess user, got any of their minis?

fuck no i ain't going down this money pit

I never thought I'd like Lizards either until I picked up a whole bunch of Lizard minis from a second hand sale for real cheap.
They're old, poorly painted, broke and missing arms galore.
But I've played a couple games with them and I'm really liking their play style and heroes.
And the Blade of Realities.

we need a virgin/chad meme with Lizardmen as the chad and some other race as the virgin

What are some Tilean-friendly starter careers for WFRP?

So far I've got:
Cadet
Deepwatcher
Knight Errant
Man-at-arms
Mercenary
Squire
Strigany Mystic

Yeah. Oathstone too. Also a Thunderbarge, Bugman, and Gotrek.

So, question Veeky Forums. I have an old IoB set. About how many more Clanrats do I need for a full army? T9A and 8e are both played in my community.

Is there anything in the Warhammer equivalent of the Pacific Ocean?

>Virgin skink vs. Chad Saurus

Tilea is a land of learning and culture, so you could do anything from artillerist to scribe.

Skaven/Saurus and Stormcast/Saurus already exist.

>mfw the Protagonist career

liberfanatica.net/Tilea-Estalia.html