What are some cool ideas for snake gods/goddesses and their worshipers?

What are some cool ideas for snake gods/goddesses and their worshipers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/viperkeeper
m.youtube.com/watch?v=377Qjg0Fxog
youtube.com/watch?v=90X5NJleYJQ
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/user/viperkeeper

Trouser snake jokes.

Watch Japanese anime and replace tentacles with snakes.

Base them on real world snake worshippers

Snake deity with healing aspects inspired by their shedding skin as a form of renewal and use of venom in alchemical medicines. Worshipers tend to be healers and alchemists, with the caduceus as a holy symbol.

Another serpent deity might be a judge of the dead, devouring the souls of those deemed unworthy of the afterlife, perhaps to prevent them from returning as undead or becoming demons in the ranks of some other, world threatening deity.

Download Obscene Serpent Religion by Rafael Chandler. It's short and good inspiration.

Sub-Saharan Africans almost universally considered snakes to be water spirits, especially the Bantu peoples. The great river God of most Bantu peoples is usually a giant snake. Even today in Zambia it is still believed by many rural people that the great god of the Zambezi river “Nyaminyami” tried to destroy the dam because it would separate his treacherous portion of the river from his wife’s more peaceful stretch. A black calf was slaughtered by Batonga witch doctors to make Nyaminyami give back the corpses of the white workers who were killed by the river. Mysterious accidents & violent weather occurred before it was finally finished years later. Even now the BaTonga believe one day Nyaminyami will shatter the dam, reunite with his bride, and give them back their homes. Snakes were also seen as the most common shell inhabited by the reincarnated spirits of their ancestors. Harming most snakes (pythons especially) was a grave taboo that was punishable by heavy fines or even death. One group of Portuguese traders in a village were chased out by a furious armed mob for killing a snake that slithered into a trader’s house.

truth

Calm, patient, watchful god of water, caller of rains, the River that gives life. Once dead in the hands of cruel volcanic beast-god, he (or she) was reborn in a chosen follower. And after that, death of the vessel is merely changing the body, like shedding the skin. Hail to the divine ruler!

I like all of this.

You could also have snake cults focused on constrictors, who consider physical cultivation a core part of their worship, practicing semi-divine wrestling techniques inspired by their god's endless coils alongside acrobatic and contortionist practices. Perhaps they form the militant arm of a broader cult, travelling with the healers as bodyguards.

BITCHES FOR THULSA DOOM

Sounds like a cool cult idea. Something helpful instead of the usual snakes=evil, perhaps with a "protectors of the people" bent. And sure, they sell bodyguard services to those who pay, but what better position to strike from if a noble becomes abusive and refuses to be reasoned with?

The caduceus isn't actually a medical symbol-- that's the rod of Asclepius. The caduceus is only used medically in America because some military official thought the rod wasn't cool enough to be on American medical corps uniforms. From one bonehead's choice it spread into civillian use after whichever war thst happened in. But for everyone else, the caduceus is only a symbol of commerce.

The More You Know~

So pic related instead?

I like the mesoamerican version. The feathered serpent was a combination of traits from the Quetzal bird and the rattlesnake, symbolizing the union of earth and sky. The snake is also associated with knowledge.

If you were to go in that direction I could imagine followers of this snake deity as philosophers, scientists and keepers of knowledge. If you have them be involved with politics it goes along well with the deceiver nature of the snake.

That's the one. Fun fact, that snake is the same one immortalised in the constellation Draco.

phallic god of fertility of course!

Probably CSM Assualt Sorceror Soren Rybordo.
He wasn't edgy by Chaos Space Marine Sorceror standards, but that's still pretty edgy.

Second edgiest would probably be Ida Lia D'ambrosio. She was a blood sucking space shifting monster born sometime after the fall of the Western Roman Empire and before the fall of the Byzantine Enpire.

Thanks to an encounter with a dashing Meiji era officer visiting Europe in the 1800's she developed a serious desire to be a grandma.

In the early 21st century she managed to come close enough to this goal for her by becoming a maid for one of that officer's descendants, helping get him married to someone with whine he would have kids, and then staying on to be nanny to said children.

Last I heard she was playing Alfred Pennyworth of one of those kids who is an adult now and trying to find them a partner.

You guys are alright.

Does he count?

I like anything that molts as being a symbol of renewal. Not necessarily healing. Shedding the past. Or shedding a past self. So a snake deity which frequently changes and fluctuates.

There are some neat ideas in this thread, though.

Huh, cool!

Now that I think about it, they also make the snake/river connection on the Mekong.

The smugger the better

Obligatory post:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=377Qjg0Fxog

>Sssssssenpai notisssssced me

>control f
>no Trogdor
Heck that.
youtube.com/watch?v=90X5NJleYJQ

Hot snake vore.

Hand-puppets makes the best gods!

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycon

How exactly would a religion like that evangelize? Like, I'd imagine any religion that revolves around "hot snake vore" would include a substantial amount of "being eaten by snakes". The issue then becomes how do you establish a clergy if they all see "becoming snake-food" the core part of their clergical duties? Like, who the fuck is devoted to being eaten by snakes enough to go door to door asking if the townsfolk had heard the good news of snake-vore but not yet devoted enough to skip to just being eaten? You can't get new members, you can't establish long-term goals, you can barely maintain any facade of faith whatsoever.

At that point you're less a "religion" and more "half a dozen freaks who rented a warehouse for a month and fed themselves to snakes".

God of Liberty and Weaponry

No step on Lord Snek or his followers

Then make the religion based around eating live snakes to gain their power.

>What are some cool ideas for snake gods/goddesses and their worshipers?

harlequin ichthyosis (google at thine own risk; not safe for work or lunch

Oh yeah, is this what you want?

>Deis
Patrician taste

muh nig

i came here to post this. i salute you, fellow pre-nazi mod tger.