/epg/ - Eclipse Phase General

Flexbot suits are exoskeletons edition

>>OFFICIAL BOOKS
robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf
>>X-Risks and After The Fall
mega.nz/#F!KwcS0bJK!9KLjZegzebaq-mlPUin45Q
>>Chuck's Eclipse Phase Wiki
eclipse-phase.wikispaces.com/

PLAY AIDS:
>>the10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>>Advice for new players and GMs
pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
eclipsephase.com/downloads/voidstate_eclipse_phase_hacking_cheatsheet_v1-1.pdf
>>Online character creator
eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet
>>Downloadable Character Creator
mediafire.com/file/5wr4yo6bdymuijr/Agency.exe
>>Singularity: The Official Character Creator
mediafire.com/file/fsmkm846acu6kcy/singularity.zip

COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>>the 3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>>Ander's Sandberg's Eclipse Phase fanmade content, including several modules
aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>>Farcast: An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>>The Ultimate's Guide to Combat
eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf
>>Seedware: Another Yearblog
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36317552/Seedware Blog.pdf
>>H-Rep: A Homebrew Blog
ephrep.blogspot.com/

/EPG/ HOMEBREW CONTENT
docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

Previous thread

Man that movie sucked. The kid literally has to eat shit at one point in the movie, they even remark "Ewww Im eating poop!"

I saw it one time when I was 6. It just reminded me of the prior argument

Why don't Jovians and ancaps get along better?

One thinks that the other is a opressive luddite while the other is a hedonistic robot pretending to be human.

Are Jovians not capitalists?

Because one believes in magic sky fairies and the other believes in complete and utter bullshit.

One is a redditor, the other a tumblrite

I don't get why they called it eclipse phase. The virus is long past that phase. Humanity is a pool of boiling water on a hotplate, fizzing at the edges into more exotic forms entirely unrelated to what they were. An ever shrinking pool of water.

So, is anyone actually running a game of this?
Because I'd love to play, but can't find any groups online.

I've run it in the past but not online

Are you kidding? Jovians and ancaps are probably about as far apart as ideologies go. Extropians have no government structure and no democratic principles, they have all of the trappings of transhuman society that Jovians hate, and they will literally do anything for the right price, completely without principles. That goes against basically everything Jovians stand for, they would probably describe them as being completely souless/devoid of spirituality. Even the Ancoms would get along better with Jovians because at least they have a sense of rules for the community resembling law and democratic principles for governance(though not permanently structured elected representatives).

I'm considering getting an online game together in the next year at some point but this is not an easy game to GM.

Capitalism totally counts as a principle

Would you actually want to be an indentured prostitute in Eclipse Phase?

No but I would buy a lot of them.

Why 'just' a prostitute? If you're going to hire an ego, and supply the morph, why have them specialize as 'just' a prostitute?
Give the morph some recoil compensators and let them work 2 days out of 8 on a mining job.

Well in indentureship, most people agree to the terms of a specific job. You might agree to "gofer" but that probably makes screening for applicants and jobs harder.

You want someone to run Eclipse Phase? You run it. Every thread is full of you shitters moaning about how nobody is willing to go out of their way to run an extremely labor intensive game for complete strangers. So why don't you step up to the fucking plate.

How long does it take to install a skillsoft on an organic brain? I feel like it should take some time, but at the same time I can't quite find anything.

I mean, you're not actually installing it in an organic brain necessarily, the skillsoft is loaded into the skillware implant, which is nanotech. There shouldn't really be any more lag than normal installing of software once you've been wired up for skillware.

Its instantaneous because the skillsoft goes into the skillware implant, the skillware takes time to install just like any implant but once its in its like a mini cyberbrain just for skills.

That makes sense. I think it was the 'artificial neuron' part that was tying me up since it made me think of it like a miniresleeving thing.

I could see there being some support software alongside it - like a VR minigame to help you consciously integrate the idea of "suddenly being good at X".

By instantaneous, do you mean 1 action turn? 1 action?

I don't remember the exact page where it is described but one would assume it is a simple quick action like any basic mental process/using any software

No, they are a corporatist dictatorship and capitalism can only exist in individualist societies.

In many ways an indentured prostitute on Mars lives a happier life than many salary men today, let alone sweatshop workers or the modern day plantation slaves in Africa.

I think in Transhuman it says installing software is 1 Complex Action.

What a skillsoft is actually like is something I'd like to see more writing on. They indicate they're like AI or skill grafts FROM people, but not really how they actually "work" for a user in-universe.

I imagine them kinda like neuromods from Prey.

Prey could be a good depiction of an exsurgent attack.

But would you want to be one?

As far as I can tell they map the part of the brain where whatever skill they are making a program of resides. Isolate it, then make a essentially tiny little micro simulation of it like a cyberbrain. This is routed through your skillsoft implant that simulates those neurons for you letting you go through the motions of whatever skill it is.

I think.

This sort of thing does probably make sense since it's nanoware, and cyberbrains can just run the softs directly (I think). The ware probably basically splices directly into the nervous system to execute actions or provide information on command.

Still, skillsofts are one of those weird things I'd like to see a touch more detail on. Like petals. Petals are cool.

>Some fucker made Skillsofts of Psi abilities
>Now shadow-people are crawling out of their skulls

>And he made it DRM free so there are a fuckton of copies of it floating around

Well, until Firewall's social engineering guru's make everybody think it's shitty malware or memes and quarantine it.

I don't know. Argonauts are pretty into that open sauce.

Which one of them is Heart?

That really depends on your definition of heart.

And then some actual exsurgents begins putting the stuff in real skillsofts.

Argonauts have a fairly sophisticated digital virus scanner. Though obviously first time strains probably can't be caught this way alone.

Of course, it could turn out that skillsofts actually are a form of exsurgent virus. A benign digital virus which infects skillware.

Of course, the exsurgent virus does mutate, so you could find your new skillsoft infecting your brain and giving you the wrong skill, or turning you into a xenomorph.

How bad would things get if the Typhon got onto a hab?

Fairly bad. But it depends on how the person telling the story goes about it.

So instead have a run-down on what capabilities each species has.

>Mimic (Greater/Lesser)
Perfect copies of anything it observes.
Can still be detected by specialized equipment and are actually incapable of performing the copied items function, since it is just copying the shape, colour, material of the item.
i.e. a Mimic that mimics a fuse, then gets plugged into a circuit, will be elctrocuted.
Also capable of throat-fucking organic material to duplicate itself.
Lesser Mimics can be evolved by Weavers into Greater Mimics. Greater Mimics are superior to Lesser Mimics in every way.

>Phantom (var.)
More intelligent than Mimics, greater durability.
Takes the shape (and abilities?) of the transhuman host that it came from.
Limited memories(?) of its past.
Req. Weaver to create.

>Poltergeist
Failed attempt to create Phantom.
Hard to see. Capable of great telekinetic effects.

>Telepath
Mimic that has been evolved by a Weaver.
Mind-fucker extraordinaire. Pods & Squishies beware.

>Technopath
Telepath that merged with technology.
Lost mind-fuckery, gained machine-fuckery. Pods & Clankers beware.

>Cystoids
Capable of self-directed propulsion in 0G and near-zero G environments.
Kamikazes triggered by nearby movement.
Idiot-savants.

>Weaver
Created by a Mimic that has gorged on organic material. (Possibly made of several Mimics?)
Creates basically all the other Typhon species.
Also creates Coral. Coral attracts the Apex.

>Nightmare
Kill enough Typhon?
This thing comes for you. Hampers eradication efforts unless prepped for its arrival.

>Apex
Big thing.

On Phantoms, they don't really get any abilities from whoever they were made from and any memories are Gamma fork tier at best. Poltergeists aren't actually failed Phantoms, they're mutations like voltaic, thermal, and etheric phantoms.

Weavers are made by mimics 'stinging' one and that stung mimic turning into a weaver.

I don't quite understand what you mean by idiot-savant cystoids.

Ignore the cystoid comment.

On the Phantoms. The mutations are random, yes? So does that mean a Phantom formed from a uplifted octopus would be, possibly, a many-limbed Phantom that shoots energy blasts?

Although all of this evades a very important question. What happens when a Phantom is made from a Psi?

Maybe a greater mimic sized Phantom with energy blasts with the mobility of an octomoph and the "I'm in your face now" speed of a Phantom.

Phantom with telepath capabilities or lighter mind fuckery?

Etheric Phantom probably.

So the Typhon hive-mind thingy isn't going to pull out some of the more reality-fucky stuff that Psi's can do?

Are those fucking spiders?

Is there a program that helps with generating morphs via Transhuman? All I've found were comparison charts.

Generating morphs? You mean like completely new ones not in the books? Or do you mean randomised variants of preexisting ones? Either way Transhuman has guidelines for both but I don't think there's any software for it because who the fuck would use it. Those rules exist for the exceptionally autistic GMs who want to needlessly expand on the already redundant number of morphs with barely any real difference or introduce their special OC donut steel morphs for their GMPCs

Nah, I'm just saying that a lot of the typhon powers are pretty much psi-epsilon anyway.
Phantoms have Casimir Force Repulsion (Kinetic Blast) as a standard. Thermal Phantoms also have Pyrokinesis (Superthermal)
They also have a low level Anti-Electronics Field (it's one of the ways you can sense them)

Now, the Telepath typhon also display Psy-Gamma. Puppeteer (Mindjack), and a mix of Psychic Stab and Static (Psychoshock)

Some of the others, like Phantom Shift, Electrostatic Burst, or Machine Mind would probably need adding.

Does anyone have the screencap of that one campaign that ends with the party discovering that their benefactor wants to turn the solar system into a Klemperer Rosette and flee the galaxy? Thought I had it saved but it turns out I don't.

Anyone have any advice for playing a Zone Stalker type character?

Invest in a Faraday Suit (Gatecrashing 158) it's pretty much designed for that purpose.

Mexicans don't get along with anyone.

Get out of here Stalker.

If your character does this regularly, they probably should have some rules about how they handle stuff. Basically remember to play up the normal paranoia people associate with PCs when you're in the field.

Don't touch shit you don't know what it is, suspiciously count the rocks, pass everything through five kinds of sensors, etc. Also probably be covered in countermeasures. Guardian hive, faraday suit, chameleon cloak, etc.

How long does it take a hive to make a full swarm? The same rules for normal nanofabrication time?

I don't recall any specific rules so that sounds fine.

Pleasure pods best pods.

Are there any good links for homebrewed Psi stuff?

There's some in some of the community stuff.

Also don't scan anything that looks like a virus or anything that specifically doesn't look like a virus because that's probably also a virus.

Yeah if it's got a microprocessor in it, fucking smash that shit. Put it in a faraday container then bombard it with X-Rays after. Unless somebody is paying for you to do so specifically, then just cram it in a container in a prisoner hood-type material and then be gone before they plug it into anything.

Organics and Computers are the maximum TITAN bad news.

Worst map projection ever

You got a better one?

Why yes, I do.

>tfw Typhon mimic mimics a Mimic

>tfw a Mimic morph mimics an item a Mimic is mimicking

Since Typhons seems to only "harvest" organic material, wouldn't clankers be safe?
Ah, but then you remember that they corrupt Operators as well.

>A Mimic-Morph mimicks an object that a Mimic was mimicking
>but then the Mimic stops mimicking for a second before it mimicks the Mimic-Morph that was mimicking itself a moment ago

Recursive mimicking to avoid the Mimics.

>streching a sphere over a rectangle
disgusting.

It's a far more reasonable stretch than the other one though.

True, but our lord and saviour, the waterman butterlfly, already came to us back in 1996, no reason to fuck a globe like that.

>2018
>Not using Cassini projection

Ah, the days before everyday people knew what autism was.

>The Year of our lord 2018
>Some heathen claims that some stretched out rectangle could even come close to the organic beauty that is the waterman butterfly