WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!
Secret Santa unboxings at imgur.com/a/qS7PH

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

Just picked up my old orks from years ago, wish me luck, will post pics of my first few finished minis[/blog]

I re-painted an old, unfinished Herald of Nurgle.

>wish me luck

Drill ya barrels
Thin ya paints
Get a nice fine tip on ya brush

Looks suitably disgusting. My backyard currently looks like the base he's on, so I can relate there as well.

I did another guy and as an user suggested tried highlighting the skin a bit more on these dudes. I didn't have the right paint so I mixed bugman's glow and ushabti bone. I swear my phone makes them look shittier than they are.

Any other folks getting work in early on their /wip/ on paradeboards?
The Mrs got a bunch of spare poster paints for Christmas, so I'm going to turn it into red-brown and yellow washes to make some Monument Valley style desert wasteland to trekover.

Would someone be able to do a size comparison between this dude and an Ork nob or Warboss? I want to see the sizes and how they compare. Might make a good Warboss conversion.

and now the basing is done, I hope to put these squads into mass production. Two painting evenings for one squad.

Started doing Saim Hann stuff.
How do I go about autarch on jetbike and shining spears without using their terrible kits?

take the distinctive bits and stick them on a windrider? i think its all just torsos and weapons anyways right?

Did some holiday painting. Still trying to figure out how to take nice photos that don't make the minis look like more shit than they are.

And the Twilight Detective I painted.

>fridge
the paintjob is nice but I think the base is a bit meh

It absolutely is. He's from my Malifaux backlog where I assembled all my minis without doing any basing, so my options are kind of limited in making the basing nice. After that backlog I'm trying to step up my basing game and, at a bare minimum, use green stuff texture stamps so they're standing on things.

you could look into getting some actaul scenic bases and just stick them on afterwards

How would you guys go about making scrollwork like this using GW paints? im not used to working with these white/blue colors

The problem I have is the spears that shining spears and Autarch have are finecast too. I'd like to find some nice third party bits for that and I thought maybe someone here knows some rad stuff.

That a KD pin-up?

That's a nice Brother.
It's almost a shame the bases are recessed, because I actually think nice neat ying-yangs would make a good-looking base if it were flat.
Recessed just looks a little odd.
I was about to say
>Rebasing wouldn't be that much work, Malifaux means it can only be 30ish models tops
when I realised my lazy hypocritical arse has been blu-tacking crews to bases for months...

Finally got these fellas done

>done
>unp*inted minis

They were all originally metal - I imagine a little patience on ebay would bear fruit. Any current alternative minis would almost certainly be resin anyways

She's the Twilight Detective. Not a pin-up, just wearing shorts that are GENEROUSLY short.
And rebasing isn't usually that hard unless they're glued to the base with plastic glue...

celestra grey, drakenhof nightshade thinned down, ulthuan grey, and some white

Oh no, not hard at all.
You just ahve to actually do it, which is long and boring.

Oh I don't have problems with third party resin.
I just fucking hate finecast so much.

There’s a russian modeller that sells on ebay that has some really cool Shining Spears and Autarch on jetbike models.

Thanks. that sounds doable. Could Guilliman blue glaze be used instead of Drakenhof nightshade?

I'm gonna use pic related as my autarch and buy regular windriders + some bits for the shining spears then

probably! recesses might not end up as deeply colored though

Where can I get deer skulls from?

You can also thin down some nihilakh oxide

German user! Got your package, sorry it's taken so long to post the picture!

Loved everything, thanks for the chocolate!

That chocolate looks delicious.

Whats in the blister?

What's the best glue for resin? Can I use dollar store super glue? Or should I get a GW glue?

gorilla glue/some other good one with a narrow tip + pinning usually works best with resin or metal, gw is decent but overpriced like the rest of their tools

Is pinning really necessary on a single infantry model?

Depends on your infantry model, I'd say. GEQs don't really need it, but if your infantry model is a greater daemon or some shit, then yes, consider it.

No, just large models that might otherwise fall apart over time.

depends on the type of resin and the size of model, as the other user said it's not really needed on models on 25 or even 30mm bases, but I like to pin resin heads and arms on most models just to be safe

Nah it's just marbo. First gw resin model I've bought since fine cast was first released

What have you been working on today, /wip/? You DID paint something, and not just shitpost endlessly, right?
I did a little bit on the High Warden I posted yesterday. Now the mount is almost complete, with only the claws, beak and small bits on its hind legs missing. The Warden himself got some paint on his legs, and I also did a bit on his helmet, but overall there's still some bits lacking, like the hands, the saddle and some more decorative elements.
Also, I never knew elves had such nice models.

And I guess I'm the kind of idiot who forgets to add a picture.

>secret santa unboxings
O-oh.. that's what it feels like to have friends.

>those little notes in the cards
I'm actually crying.

Only 16 more to buy and ill have my full mob of 40

Slaughterpriest w/ hackblade and wrath hammer

I'm about to paint up pic related to use as a Witchling Stalker in Malifaux.
Also fiddling with my Fools on Parade bits, but can't quite decide what to start on. There's a lot of building/bodging to be done that I haven't quite got all the bits for, it's too windy to spray the stuff that doesn't need much pre-paint prep, and I don't have an actual base to start building on.

>O-oh.. that's what it feels like to have friends.
Well no, that's the point.
It's a chance to do something nice and hobby-related for someone that will appreciate the content as much as the receiving of a gift.
You can get in on the parade board thing.

What the fug lad

>you can get in
Nah. At this point, it'd feel like I'm just trying to score mini's. Whatever I got would be forever tainted with doubt. Which would be fine if it were Tzeentch stuff.

>using Gesso
Can you get better/solid results with that stuff? I was walking around Michael's for an alternative to spraying primer but I've never used brush on primer so I'm iffy about doing it. It's cold as fuck so I don't have a good way to prime outside. I've been using rustoleam cans and they work pretty decent. Just can't use that shit inside for obvious reasons.

Saurus always look so derpy even though I try to thin my paints as much as possible. At least it's done now.
Hopefully he sticks to the base, I added the sand and stuff before gluing him on, normally I glue them on first.

Don't cry user... we love you

Not to shittalk you, but the spikes on his club - aren't those usually obsidian?

He's the blingiest of Saurs.

It seems that the store page has it all gold, and the warscroll page has it black/obsidian looking. Other art that I'm looking at seems to vary, so I just did it in gold.

>What is greentstuff conversions

Oh, okay. Never noticed that.

Fresh Saurus and his crew, none more blingy.

The proportions on a lot of the saurus faces are totally fucked
You can really see how far the sculpts came when you look at the plastic HQ or the dinosaur rider one
At least everything that isn't saurus looks great still

keep on using MOB UP.

I think I recognize your paint scheme. Did you sell me a mega-dred?

Finished up with my WAAAAGH banner, I love painting Nobs. They're so full of character

I want new Lizardmen casts. The Scar-Veteran looks good. A little Tyranid-y but way more refined than the old lizardmen.

as a matter of fact, the games featuring lizardmen have designs 10,000 better than the lizards of old.

Total war and blood bowl did some fantastic things.

>77916▶
>File: Banner2.jpg (101 KB, 2048x1154)
looks good my man

CA really did a bang up job of it
Almost makes you wonder if fucking squatting the whole setting and setting lizardmen aside to be made into the new dark elves was a good idea

Some more color on those pesky beastmen.

I recently bought an airbrush, can I get some feedback on this painboy?

skin looks gud, leather straps could do with some highlights

really nice

Working on my Butcher right now. He needs a bit more polish before I base him.

From the back

Ten thousand hours in MSPaint.
By the look of it, about thirty thousand left to go.

I meant into the Fools on Parade thing - a reason to clear some backlog and build some cool shit.

Loctite gel super glue

Venoms!

Hey, I'm thinking about picking up an airbrush to help me get priming and base coats down faster and easier. Any suggestions?

looking good, I'd put rust on the klaw but that's me

There are pretty good bundles for starters on amazon, make sure you get one with a dual action. While not necessary, I'd recommend a gravity fed one, they're a lot easier to mix and clean.

anyone here ever use AK interactive diorama stuff for basing? I can't seem to find any good pictures online and I'm not sure what are the best types.

Would you allow me to use this?

>Would you allow me to use this?

My son and I used to play Mordheim with Lego minifigures. It was so much easier to swap out equipment and replace or remove dead models from the warbands, and we never had to (re) paint them.

Too bad I never took any pictures.

Sounds awesome. Me and my dad used to do the same thing with HeroQuest. Still have it, albeit missing a few pieces. One day I'll convince my wife to play it. cause I probably won't have a child :(

Going through the process of priming and then painting a whole bunch of Guardsmen. What do y'all think of this particular color scheme?

Got a light box for a tenner. Testing it out with my wip snail

Bit more work done on this guy. This is the most red I've done on a figure, think it turned out ok.

I'm going to be making a Guard army using the Marauder kit, and so I'm going to need Lasguns and shit. I plan on ordering some stuff from Victoria Miniatures, but where can I get bitz without buying a full kit? I don't see any links in the OP probably something that should be added.

got most of the head done, just need to highlight the red.
White hair is hard to do and I regret everything

>list of mini manufacturers for proxy/conversion
literally in the op

If you need gw bits
>ebay or google

Hey tg, I'm considering starting up a Codex Space Marine army but I'm not sure about what colour scheme to use. I've narrowed it down to either Astral Claws or Blood Ravens and I'm finding it hard to choose between the two. May I ask what you think would be the better scheme and if I should include Primaris?

How did you do the flesh colour and the vivid green slime?

Am I crazy for wanting to make a Guard / Renegades & Heretics army using House Escher minis? Is that even financially viable compared to just using the Cadian kit?

Astral claws is probably the easier scheme to paint, if you want it to be fluffy then no primaris stuff

Astral Claws. You'll most likely be unique and get lore outside of video games.

My hellbrutes need sonic arms.
Any suggestions? Or should I just make them my own, like this dude did?

Forge world used to do dreadnought sized ones, unfortunately they're OOP. Maybe you can find some on ebay or something

does anyone have experience with Army Painter brush-on primer? Recommendations for using it?

Can't, sadly.
I'm thinking of just putting some chaos rhino bits onto my dark vengence helbrutes.

It's $11 more for an Escher box than a Cadian box, both of which come with 10 models. If you're willing to pay that, I'd say go for it, it'd definitely be cool to play against.

Hey /wip/ got a question for you. What is that green stuff sculpting tool I sometimes see you user's using to make tentacles and things like That? And where can I get one?

It's on greenstuff world, though you can use two combs.

Looks great so far.
These guys look pretty good, too.